Sign in to follow this  
Redd

Revert the latest permissions patch, its stupid

I like the new system, but this hits larger deeds with lots of writs and villagers hard...

By way of comparison. I worked on setting permissions all day today - 12+ hours.

My largest freedom deed currently has 8 buildings, a safe mine, few other mines, some unimportant gates - took about 15 min to secure.

My largest pvp deed currently has 83 buildings, numerous safe mines, lots of mines that also have to be secure, critical gates, boat mines, gate house, longhouses and the danger that any incorrect setting can lead to an easy enemy raid. To get it 80% done took about 4 hours. Also need to review wagons, carts, ships......

Still needs to have fine tuning, second review of all settings etc.

This isn't about PVP vs PVE. It's about the sheer scale of the work that needs to be done to correct the settings.

With the ability to multi-select buildings, ships etc many of the settings could have been changed in one quick time interval. Since that option doesn't exist then each item has to be addressed one by one. This is what is causing the biggest time usage and pain.

If groups were implemented for security management where the group owns the permission rather then a named individual then future maintenance would have also been greatly reduced and simplified. 

With all this said, the new system is leap years beyond the old one. Lots more options, great amounts of fine tuning and the ability to actually see the history of a setting. I love the remote and shared management options too.

Set up my first "boarding" house tonight with a room completely locked from everyone but the new recruit who is using it. That was a cool change.

• Like 6

Nappy, If you have other members of the group you trust, a quick solution would be to set 1 building up the way you want it, give those members manage rights on it so they can see how you set it, and then quickly put 1 of them on other buildings, boats, minedoors, gates etc you want set the same way with manage permissions granted.

That way you can split up the workload, you only have to set 1 person on each item, then they can go in and finish the setup, adding each other, and anyone at lesser levels so desired..

Obviously the sheer scale of the change is going to cause some issues, because we are setting up permissions all at once for things it took us years to build and acquire, but overall i think management will be easier in the long run.

• Like 2

We had to set 110 gates to allow people to pass not having a clue when the fix would be in or that there would be a fix at all

I spent probably around 12 hours or so sorting ~150 houses (wouldn't be suprised if it was more tbh), chasing down mine doors to name them and set permissions, sort out everyone's personal mines, make sure deed permissions are set properly, run around setting beds as people sat there complaining, and I'm not even done with it.  And there's a fair amount of things that don't really make sense or I don't like at all

But honestly, when everythings boiled down and fixed and set properly, oddness aside it's a pretty damn positive change.  Managing writs/mine doors on as many accounts as set to?  Setting boats/carts without the headache of not being there? Manage everything on your body without moving an inch?  This is actually a pretty great change for pvp

• Like 3

Seems like a lot of the issues people are having (locked in their gardens, can't sleep in their bed, etc) are issues related to who the database considers to be the "owner". This isn't something they could resolve with further testing. If the mayor put the lock on your gate, or a friend, or villager, then they need to update the permissions or transfer ownership.

It's gonna take a little time and effort to get all the ownerships and permissions squared away. I am the mayor of a moderately large village so I have a few hours of gate naming and bed setting to do, and I sympathise with the players who run huge deeds in PvP where there are much more granular permissions to set up. But I think it's far better we crack on and get things working, than roll everything back. Unless you think the devs are gonna go through every object in the game on a case by case basis to work out who the correct owner should be based on usage; there will always be this initial work to do when the system goes live.

• Like 3

The whole thing would be a ton better if groups retained their groups under the activated permissions. Once a permission is activated, everyone is lumped into an alphabetical list, rendering group changes impossible as a group at a time. Add this and it will be golden.

Other changes is a "manage all" for each category: carts, boats, writs, gates. That way you can set a quick and easy default.

• Like 1

Hi,

supporting the OP, revert this NOW!

While a lot of good things are in this update (and I mean REALLY GOOD THINGS!), it just isn't done yet, as anybody can see. Villagers caught in their gardens, house owners that cannot sleep in their beds, etc., etc.

I don't know who or what forced the poor devs into a obviously premature release, but that's just not the way to handle things.

We're paying AAA-rates for Wurm (2 prems and a deed are far beyond a much more useful WoW account), so we can expect at least AA service. And this update isn't even A, it's, plain and simple, a painful mess.

Such should not happen. IMHO.

This will not help to get Wurm more players, or a better reputation.

Such MUST not happen!

Unhappy. Have fun anyways!

this

Press C, Right Click the body in the lower right

Set all of the permissions for the things you created/own from there. You don't have to move. Yes, if you have a ton of stuff it is going to take a while, but it's a one time thing. Plus the net gain from this is amazing. Sweeping changes from basic abilities to very granular abilities. You do have to set them up, but then you don't have to touch them.

Hi,

just to clarify my previous posting:

I think that some unknown Devs have done an awesome job, and have earned 'emselves all Kudos we can give.

But, as any Dev knows, the customer is the Dev's most fearsome enemy:

Customer: Dev, you're ready finally?

Developer: Nearly, Boss, look: It already works as intended, almost - only a week or three to finish it!

Customer: Fine, we'll release tomorrow!

Developer: Oh no, it's still full of bugs, and the interface, and the tests, and ...

Customer: STFU! We'll release tomorrow!

Developer: Have mercy, we cannot release this! We'll shoot our own foot!

Customer: We'll release tomorrow, or you're fired. You said "it already works", I heard it. So prepare the update, NOW!, and don't bother me further!

Developer: Oh god, what have I done! Have mercy with my poor soul! We're all doomed, the day of justice is ahead, eternal damnation is unavoidable, and the Grue will eat me!

Customer: STFU, and get it done!!!1!eleven!

This is the way it works. And no doubt, it was exactly this way here again.

What we can see from the new permissions system looks very good, seems to have a solid algorithm/ data structure behind, and looks like it could be a really good thing when finished.

But for this, it should be finished first. And not released in an incomplete pre-alpha way like what we have now. For Fo's sake, why do such madness? I don't get it. And I don't want to know about the tortures and pains the devs had to suffer, to release such an unfinished [censored].

My sympathy with the devs, Fo's rage upon the "customer", and a good time to all of you!

Please revert the change, after this patch I can no longer lock my chest while performing actions. Game is literally unplayable for me.

zJQPhac.png

Please revert the change, after this patch I can no longer shave my legs while painting my toenails.  :lol:

Edited by Clatius