Sign in to follow this  
Jarisleif

Round walls

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like round walls in game?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

All those castles and turrets look very blocky. Real-world castles have round turrets:

http://powerpictures.crystalgraphics.com/photo/rhodes_castle_greek_isles_medieval_turrets_cg1p018610c.jpg

So can we have a stone wall type that has outside surface forming a 1/4 of a circle. So a 1*1 house with these walls would look like that:

4c3_43440_lg.gif

It should be possible since Wurm has mechanics for protruding windows (stone oriels, timber jetty/balcony)

Edit: Interior would have to remain square, given the current engine limitations. Maybe make it look like on oriel from the inside.

Edit 2: it would work well with a round roof that somebody proposed already

Edited by Jarisleif
  • Like 3

"It should be possible since Wurm has mechanics for protruding windows (stone oriels, timber jetty/balcony"

That's just a visual thing.

I'm sure that this would take a decade to be made properly with all the collisions and stuff. Not to mention that new floors would have to be made for this.

Edited by kekstier
  • Like 1

"It should be possible since Wurm has mechanics for protruding windows (stone oriels, timber jetty/balcony"

I'm sure that this would take a decade to be made properly with all the collisions and stuff. Not to mention that new floors would have to be made for this.

not really if ya made all full thinkness like in the pic outside round inside flat

• Like 1

Would like it 

But it would be interesting with collision detection. You can't actually poke your head into an oriel ;)

there would be a rounded area in a room, where you can't push stuff, or where it would overlap on the bounds.

I see portents of great whining and gnashing of teeth over the breakage. A one tile round turret would consume a 3x3 tile area. Or you could graphically represent a one tile turret.This game works with square tiles. Walls can only be put on tile borders. Either way it would be like Marlon said. If you could do it without breaking stuff it would be nice. 

I guess you could do two kinds. One that is only one tile big and a complete cylinder. And one that is a quarter circle like the diagonal road sections only curved. It's still one whole tile but looks like half a tile. Somehow the coding would have to let you decide how the curved section sat in relation to the other walls. Then you could have concave and convex walls. It would open up all sorts of neat looking buildings. 

• Like 1

collision is really easy to do,