Sign in to follow this  
Warlander

WurmAPI - create your own Wurm world

Sorry I meant IDE, not API. Some kind of development platform (like Visual Studio etc) that lets you compile standard java out of the box.

There are a lot, including the "big three" of Java IDE's - personally I like NetBeans the most, but there is IntelliJ Idea and Eclipse as well.

Netbeans comes in "JDK + IDE" 2 in 1 installation package as one of download options.

There are a lot, including the "big three" of Java IDE's - personally I like NetBeans the most, but there is IntelliJ Idea and Eclipse as well.

Netbeans comes in "JDK + IDE" 2 in 1 installation package as one of download options.

Perfect, thanks!

This is sweet Warlander, thanks!  Just a quick question:

It appears that water is set at 0, so height values for the under-water terrain should be negative values.  Is that correct?

Thanks for the API, it's awesome!

It's really easy to use and it's creating mapdumps within seconds :)

Not perfect yet, still working on the terrain generation :P

yOFfpfm.png

Sorry I meant IDE, not API. Some kind of development platform (like Visual Studio etc) that lets you compile standard java out of the box.

I highly recommend NetBeans, I'm using it for Java and PHP and never had any problems in the past 2 years.

• Like 4

This is sweet Warlander, thanks!  Just a quick question:

It appears that water is set at 0, so height values for the under-water terrain should be negative values.  Is that correct?

Correct.

Heh, no heightmap importing right off the bat? or im not seeing it

This is going to fun, thanks Warlander

Just raw API, writing import/generation program around it is task for modders. :)

Also, I would like to remind that modding discussions (including WU code ones) are allowed on Steam forums.

• Like 2

If anyone is just getting into this (the actual programming side using the API) and is looking for a place to start or something to reference, the code I've been working on over the weekend is here: https://github.com/BuddaT/MapGenerator

For others just wanting to hit a few buttons and get a map - I'm aiming to have this finished before WU is released, so will be available to everyone then.

• Like 11

If anyone is just getting into this (the actual programming side using the API) and is looking for a place to start or something to reference, the code I've been working on over the weekend is here: https://github.com/BuddaT/MapGenerator

For others just wanting to hit a few buttons and get a map - I'm aiming to have this finished before WU is released, so will be available to everyone then.

tumblr_inline_mog5f3dj3j1ra4cm7.jpg

Thanks for the API, it's awesome!

It's really easy to use and it's creating mapdumps within seconds :)

Not perfect yet, still working on the terrain generation :P

yOFfpfm.png

That looks like a sweet PvP map O.o 

That is amazing! Thank you so much! WIth things already starting of like that before release, I am having high hopes for WU :)

Awesome! Looking forward to play with this. :)

Can someone recommend an open source IDE for Windows that can get this up and running quickly?

I have started working on a map generator in World Machine, but it still needs a lot of refinement:

http://i.imgur.com/AyQXjuB.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xl9vVgG.jpg

still a better map then anything released since gold2's start

Anyone after a Java IDE one option to try is the Android Studio

https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Its free.

Its a semi cut down version of Intellij IDEA (Easily the best coding tool / IDE around) that Google pays a lot of money to be freely available.

Note Java is a dying language, Oracle is kind of slowly dropping support for it and in many areas where it was strong its now been superseded by other languages - especially Go (Golang), which is 50-100 times faster. Google is looking to move Android development over to Go (Golang) and out of Java, which will be the last major bastion of Java coding gone.

Edited by Happiness

Note Java is a dying language, Oracle is kind of slowly dropping support for it and in many areas where it was strong its now been superseded by other languages - especially Go (Golang), which is 50-100 times faster. Google is looking to move Android development over to Go (Golang) and out of Java, which will be the last major bastion of Java coding gone.

I'm not trying to get a forum war started. I'm just going to state that Java is much more than just Android. There's a huge number of business projects out there using Java and a huge set of tools and libraries supporting it.

Although it may lose a small part of its popularity to new languages it's still the #1 in the Tiobe index (with a 4 times better ranking than C# at #4) and #2 in the Github ranking. Far from dying.

Anyone after a Java IDE one option to try is the Android Studio

https://developer.android.com/sdk/index.html

Its free.

Its a semi cut down version of Intellij IDEA (Easily the best coding tool / IDE around) that Google pays a lot of money to be freely available.

Android Studio is IDE for Android only - keep in mind that Android is not using Oracle Java, it is using its own Java instead (based on Dalvik JVM).

Java is not dying, it is very widely used is server development and lately in mobile development as well, Java 9 will appear soon as well. When it comes to Go... I am not sure where you got this info, this would mean that it is 10-100 times faster than optimized C code (Java performance is - depending on task - comparable with C or up to about 5 times slower).

Also, to be honest Java don't have any real competition - there is .NET, but it is basically Windows only (and Mono is not working too well).

Please focus on WurmAPI in this thread - if someone wants to talk about programming language, you can create new thread in Wood Scraps. :)

• Like 1

May allready be discussed somewhere but..

It would really be very nice to be able to import a WO map, in its day-actual status, with deeds and constructions, into WU. This would enable  a player not to lose everything he has happened to build in WO, Such an import would of course contain much of other-player-stuff, but which would just take some time to decay away.

May allready be discussed somewhere but..

It would really be very nice to be able to import a WO map, in its day-actual status, with deeds and constructions, into WU. This would enable  a player not to lose everything he has happened to build in WO, Such an import would of course contain much of other-player-stuff, but which would just take some time to decay away.

I don't think this would be possible, but with some effort it could be possible to manually export the deed. (you can always make yourself a GM and quickly recreate the whole deed as well)

If i may give an advice, the name WurmAPI is very misleading and implies it is more than just a map import API. I would suggest changing it.

• Like 2

I don't think this would be possible, but with some effort it could be possible to manually export the deed. (you can always make yourself a GM and quickly recreate the whole deed as well)

Think it'd be possible to give us just the world instead? No deeds, no items, No writs, no bridges, None of that, Just the world with all its current tiles, slopes and rock/dirt layers.(Maybe cave systems, dunno how that links in with the world itself), Could even do without trees/underground resources if thats an issue with giving us the world. Personally if i had to put trees back on the map and re-generate the underground metals, I would. Hands down. 

• Like 2

Think it'd be possible to give us just the world instead?  

It has already been said that WU is not going to reveal WO secrets.  If you had the ability to fly as a GM you would quickly be able to scout the map and find hidden undiscovered locations for a WO deed.  Even if resources are changed that gives you an WO advantage just for terrain and water features.  And if resources are changed then porting your deed from WO to WU makes liitle sense if you might not have deeded there (as evidence with all the rage quits everytime Rolf twiddled with resources)

Back up your WO deed using DeedPlanner and recreate it to fit your new world with GM hacking. Most likely someone will mod in character importers as well.

I personally do not understand these requests, nobody made the 'let me move my deed' complaints to Xanadu or Release when those new islands came out.  They just started out fresh in the new world to regain that lost noob Wurm experience all over again, that is why Rolf always puts out new servers even when the server population is not crowded.

Edited by yarnevk

If i may give an advice, the name WurmAPI is very misleading and implies it is more than just a map import API. I would suggest changing it.

Have you looked at the released classes?  There is way more there then needed for maps....

Have you looked at the released classes? There is way more there then needed for maps....

Unless something is hidden from me when i use my phone, all i see is a map data object and an entry point for the API.

EDIT:

As for the library included, it looks like the server software itself, not something specifically designed for modding.

Edited by Yohanu

It has already been said that WU is not going to reveal WO secrets.  If you had the ability to fly as a GM you would quickly be able to scout the map and find hidden undiscovered locations for a WO deed.  Even if resources are changed that gives you an WO advantage just for terrain and water features.  And if resources are changed then porting your deed from WO to WU makes liitle sense if you might not have deeded there (as evidence with all the rage quits everytime Rolf twiddled with resources)

Back up your WO deed using DeedPlanner and recreate it to fit your new world with GM hacking. Most likely someone will mod in character importers as well.

I personally do not understand these requests, nobody made the 'let me move my deed' complaints to Xanadu or Release when those new islands came out.  They just started out fresh in the new world to regain that lost noob Wurm experience all over again, that is why Rolf always puts out new servers even when the server population is not crowded.

That was for content i believe, Not maps(Unless maps fall under content, But that seems like folly to just protect peoples own interests rather then anything else).

Tho even with maps, The only one with mostly un-discovered/untouched land currently is lagandu- err xanadu. 

Independence has a few spots, But there occupied by hermitted artisans who value scenery/preservation over anything else(From an outsider perspective). Really pretty places, All un-deeded, Max QL. Not gonna disclose location cuz im not that big of a ###.

Besides, Theres good detail map dumps, So it kinda defeats the purpose of concealing a map file if we already got a map dump of it...