Sign in to follow this  
IloveWurm

How to with more than one account?

Lets hope they figure out a way to make bridges work with just one player like plant the range-pole then go to the other side and plan it. As far as the spells go i guess they will need to make them all under 100 faith.

The bridges is the only big one i am worried about..well and maybe LT

It is in the FAQ thread about two or three posts after one of yours: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131135-faq/

I'm sure I've read all the posts... so far it's very unclear in many things.

To host a server on something other than one's PC, that takes 2 accounts, server one and client one.  By Rolf's reply, you "login steam on the hosted computer, install the server software, magic!!" ... which is nice until I need to login my OTHER account at home to login my CLIENT. 

Would that mean two purchases, one for server and one for client?  <insert several questions here that point to the same thing>

Now if you're so sure a clear answer has been given about that, how about less snark and more link.

It is in the FAQ: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131135-faq/

Seriously all you have to do is read the dev posts for the vast majority of this stuff. //end possibly snarky (but actually factual) reply

Didn't catch noermel's wink did ya.

Edited by Clatius

It is in the FAQ thread about two or three posts after one of yours: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131135-faq/

It is in the FAQ: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131135-faq/

Seriously all you have to do is read the dev posts for the vast majority of this stuff. //end possibly snarky (but actually factual) reply

Didn't catch noermel's wink did ya.

Maybe a better way of handling things would have been to say that they have already answered that then point them to the post and not flip out at them with a..  "FFS. If people bothered to read they would have seen this has already been resolved."

Seem like a negative way to handle things and in turn has people pushing back at you for the way you handled it.  Have a look at Ricowan's post as an example of the right way to handle things like this ..

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131679-how-to-with-more-than-one-account/#entry1352844

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

Seriously? Have you even been reading these threads. The same question is asked over and over and over even though they had been answered IN THE FAQ. And I don't give a rat's behind what someone else did. Maybe they are good at handling small children. I'm not. 

BTW. Before someone gets a martyr complex, I'm not calling anyone a small child. I'm simply stating I don't have so much patience for people who don't bother to look things up like I look things up.

Edited by Clatius

Seriously? Have you even been reading these threads. The same question is asked over and over and over even though they had been answered IN THE FAQ. And I don't give a rat's behind what someone else did. Maybe they are good at handling small children. I'm not. 

BTW. Before someone gets a martyr complex, I'm not calling anyone a small child. I'm simply stating I don't have so much patience for people who don't bother to look things up like I look things up.

Seems like we have a different opinion on who is "handling small children" but for the good of the post i will drop it now and move on. 

Edited by Kegan

Look, FAQ says this and we all know that:

Will Wurm Unlimited require multiple purchases to play more than one character at a time?

• Steam only allows one client of any game (not only Wurm Unlimited) running at one time so you can only run one character per Steam installation and account.

I decide to run my own server, say on a professionally hosted machine (which I organise separately with a hosting company). Ignoring the hosting and server bandwidth costs, will I need to buy the game once or pay a monthly fee? Will the stand-alone version only be available via Steam, or will I be able to buy (for example) a tarball or rpm from the WO/WU website? I guess everyone who wants to play on my private server will also need to buy the client (e.g. from Steam)?

• You just run your Steam client on the hosted machine and download and install the dedicated Wurm Unlimited server. You only need to buy it once.

On the other hand there's this:

WU is depending a lot on Steam-only features, most notably server browser, so it cannot work outside of Steam. When it comes to bridges and spells... You have a point, we will need to do something with that before release for sure. I am thinking about possibility to run multiple clients via single Steam app process, but this will require engine switch from LWJGL 2 to LWJGL 3.

There has also been mention (FROM OTHER PLAYERS) of offline mode for Steam which could be used to just launch from the .exe (assuming there's one and not a straight out Java launch).  

There has been NO reply on whether it's Steam -> into the game, OR Steam -> launcher -> game, the latter being a major step toward allowing multiboxing.

I did DIG up earlier in one of the many, many threads that you buy client+server OR get only server free, that would solve the remote hosting part.

So yeah, Clatius, while I do most sincerely appologize to your most mature overlordship for not having memorized this entire forums' subsection (no I don't, not really), your holier-than-thou berating has basically pointed and linked to the fact that you know about as much as the rest of us.  I'd appreciate if you let questions be answered by CC staff, as we are asking for replies from THEM, not from children =)

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 2

Perhaps you should take your own advice. I am simply stating the obvious. Well, to some anyway. The devs have answered these questions. A little searching wouldn't hurt. Or maybe it is painful for some. As for CC answering your questions, as I said, they already have. How many times do you want them wasting their time answering the same question over and over and over. They have a limited staff and limited time. You yourself moan and groan about what is broken. So, you can either ask them over and over even after they have answered or you can find the answer that has already been given and let them go about their business. Your choice. I'm outta here.

With every Steam game that has a self-hostable server that I have played, the server does not require Steam to run.  You need to download the server from Steam somehow, either it's included in the download of the client, or it's a separate tool.  But once the server files are downloaded, they can be copied anywhere and run without Steam.

• Like 1

I know Clatius personally. He can be most trying. He is at his worse when he is correct in what he says and he knows that he is correct. That tends to piss people off, his friends included. If you wish I can knock on his door and punch him in the nose for you. He will still be a pain in the ass but maybe it will make you feel better.  ;)

One thing I do with my two premium accounts is breed hostile creatures, wolves bears etc. Now I have each toon tame a hostile and they can be bred. I'd like to see the ability on WU to tame at least 2 pets by one toon; maybe the skill to tame two or more pets is attained by taming skill level.

• Like 1

One thing I do with my two premium accounts is breed hostile creatures, wolves bears etc. Now I have each toon tame a hostile and they can be bred. I'd like to see the ability on WU to tame at least 2 pets by one toon; maybe the skill to tame two or more pets is attained by taming skill level.

You can use multiple characters just not at the same time. So tame one creature, Toggle stay online, log out, swap characters, log back in, tame new creature with other character, breed and your done. 

Some games through Steam can be opened more than once, the first through the steam library... the second by activating the game.exe in the steam/steamapps/common/game folder.

Not all games can do this, but quite a few allow multiple instances to open... if this is the case for WU then this is my suggestion...

From what I understand, Tich was working on making the range pole plantable early last week and it was going well.

i think its already plantable. i planted it 2 days ago by mistake. forgot about holding it.  so i hope it will work. not sure if live workes with just one , might test that later

Some games through Steam can be opened more than once, the first through the steam library... the second by activating the game.exe in the steam/steamapps/common/game folder.

Not all games can do this, but quite a few allow multiple instances to open... if this is the case for WU then this is my suggestion...

Already asked, Doesn't work sadly

TO EVERYBODY COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO USE 100+ FAITH SPELLS IN SINGLE PLAYER:

Just make yourself a champ with your gm powers, give yourself seer title, and cast to your hearts delight at half favor cost while also being able to forgoe the restrictions of being a priest. You could even just play as a priest and manually set your alignment and faith back when you lose it by going unfaithful. Like seriously you get to be a gm and also mod the game so dont complain or ask for change if something isn't the way you want it by default. Just make it the way you want it, you have that power, dont try to force the devs to change the game experience for everyone else.

Edited by Alexgopen

TO EVERYBODY COMPLAINING ABOUT NOT BEING ABLE TO USE 100+ FAITH SPELLS IN SINGLE PLAYER:

Just make yourself a champ with your gm powers, give yourself seer title, and cast to your hearts delight at half favor cost while also being able to forgoe the restrictions of being a priest. You could even just play as a priest and manually set your alignment and faith back when you lose it by going unfaithful. Like seriously you get to be a gm and also mod the game so dont complain or ask for change if something isn't the way you want it by default. Just make it the way you want it, you have that power, dont try to force the devs to change the game experience for everyone else.

Alex, Everyone asking for a way to do this is doing so because they do not wish to use GM powers in any way whatsoever. They want to play wurm survival, not wurm GM power creative mode 99 everything. 

• Like 1

Then become a champ by going to the wl/bl, become the ruler of a kingdom, which won't be hard when there's nobody else competing for the crown, and give yourself seer title. And for the guy complaining about not being able to breed hostile creatures, just do it as a fo priest. I find it hilarious that you think its ok for the devs to make the game easy mode for you at the expense of everyone else, but not ok if you have to do it on your own so that the game isn't ruined for the rest.

The devs only duty here is to deliver a privately hostable version of wurm. It's up to you to customize it how you want. The devs aren't going to change the entire game just so you can have your server the way you want it, it's your duty to customize your server beyond vanilla, not theirs.

Edited by Alexgopen
  • Like 1

There is no need to make any spells under 100 faith and change those ones that need linking.  The game is designed to allow multiple players, if you do not want that it is also there for you to edit the settings and change it yourself.

exactly

Then become a champ by going to the wl/bl, become the ruler of a kingdom, which won't be hard when there's nobody else competing for the crown, and give yourself seer title. And for the guy complaining about not being able to breed hostile creatures, just do it as a fo priest. I find it hilarious that you think its ok for the devs to make the game easy mode for you at the expense of everyone else, but not ok if you have to do it on your own so that the game isn't ruined for the rest.

The devs only duty here is to deliver a privately hostable version of wurm. It's up to you to customize it how you want. The devs aren't going to change the entire game just so you can have your server the way you want it, it's your duty to customize your server beyond vanilla, not theirs.

Two things....

1)  Where's your staff badge?  I don't see a staff badge.  You don't get to tell us what CC wants and doesn't want to do for us.

2)  Are you going to pay for our copies of WU?  I don't think so.  You don't get to tell us what we can and can't ask the devs for, or how to play WU once we install it.

Two things....

1)  Where's your staff badge?  I don't see a staff badge.  You don't get to tell us what CC wants and doesn't want to do for us.

2)  Are you going to pay for our copies of WU?  I don't think so.  You don't get to tell us what we can and can't ask the devs for, or how to play WU once we install it.

The devs aren't your server admins, they are the game developers. If you want your server to be different from the game they provide, that is your responsibility, not theirs. 

I can't believe how selfish you are being by demanding the devs change the game as a whole to match the way you want your server to run. 

Make changes to your own server, not the game as a whole. Not everybody wants the changes you're asking for, and this is what modding is for.  You are completely free to play the game in the way that you want, but it is up to you to make it that way. 

• Like 1

I can't believe how selfish you are being by demanding the devs change the game as a whole to match the way you want your server to run. 

Quoth the loudmouth demanding that everyone stop asking for something that doesn't specifically interest him.

Bear in mind that WU is being advertised as a single player version with the option to host your own server.  Meaning that many people who have never seen these forums will be expecting a single player experience, as are many on these forums.

But yeah, sorry for being so selfish when Rolf should get on his Steam dev account and post "Sorry guys, it's not 100% single player... can't have alexgopen getting pissed off now, can we?"

Quoth the loudmouth demanding that everyone stop asking for something that doesn't specifically interest him.

Bear in mind that WU is being advertised as a single player version with the option to host your own server.  Meaning that many people who have never seen these forums will be expecting a single player experience, as are many on these forums.

But yeah, sorry for being so selfish when Rolf should get on his Steam dev account and post "Sorry guys, it's not 100% single player... can't have alexgopen getting pissed off now, can we?"

Quoth the crybaby who wants the game changed for everyone because he is too lazy to cast a 120 favor spell on his own without demanding that the game be changed for everyone else due to his personal wants.

Are you going to pay for our copies of WU?  I don't think so.  You don't get to have the entire game changed for everyone else just because of what you want.

"Coming to Steam the 21st of October 2015, Wurm Unlimited allows you to play in the Wurm world locally on your PC and even host persistent servers yourselves."

host persistent server != singleplayer

Edited by Alexgopen

but it would be easier for us to allow multiple clients. i will see how this works as single player, game is not even out yet :ph34r: