Sign in to follow this  
loenabelle

Characters

Do you keep your current character on all servers or do you get multiple characters per server.

Like:

- one wurm online char

- one char per world (server) OR:

one char for wurm unlimited

Very curious about this.

Personally I would favor keeping the char system in wurm online the way it is and having the option to have multiple chars for wurm unlimited but not one char per server in wurm unlimited.

This means:

-Choose a char

-choose a server

-join

Opinions? And excuse me if this was already discussed.

Every server can have different rules and skillgain, so sharing characters between them wouldn't have too much sense. You will be able to have unlimited amount of character per server (but can log in with only one at the same time).

Ok, thanks for the info :) looks like i'm out of questions for the moment, good luck with wurm!

Ack, no priest alts?  No thanks, WO for me.

Until there is some info on how a single player is going to get an ungimped Wurm experience without playing GM God Mode and spawning everything, I'm not spending money on it. If I need an MMO to do priest things, I have one that I already subscribe to and spend money on. If a single player cannot do it all, it's not a single player game and if I have to multiplayer to do it all, well... circle back to I'm already here.

The only advantage I see at all to WU right now is population control and custom rules enforcement. 

• Like 1

Of course you can have a priest alt, you just can't play more than one character at the same time.

Of course you can have a priest alt, you just can't play more than one character at the same time.

aka purpose of an alt is moot.  Dualbox on Wurm or go home lol.

Edited by Nomadikhan
  • Like 1

Dual Boxing and steam is impossible.... The server admins of the WU servers will need to find a way how they can fill this gap.

I still vote for a "enter server IP" field on the WO launcher.

Still need Steam to find the server IP so shouldn't be a dealbreaker.

Guessing the server is the actual purchase...or there's gonna be a WU-exclusive client that's part of the purchase?   Bit of a dealbreaker on accout of what Audrel said.

Edited by Mordraug

Yeah but then you wouldn't need to buy WU to play if you just enter the IP into the WO launcher so that would be not smart.

That's one MASSIVE detail we're all missing.

What exactly does the purchase bring.  

For me, WU's purchase value is the server software, and it'll naturally bring a client.  If I want someone to join my server, so far it seems like they'd have to buy the whole bundle, server and all.

Options I can think of:

-  Sell extra client "licenses" way cheaper minus server software.

-  Client launcher needs Steam to start, but client itself starts off the launcher itself allowing for multiple iterations.

-  My modified WO launcher idea.

(There may be variations thereof but that's the basic 3 ways I see of doing it).

No, server software is supposed to be free, you have to buy client via steam

I also have a post on "how will servers work" and there are some other posts about it, maybe move this there? :) I never had an alt myself (was just focusing on getting a lot of skill on one char) but i can imagine people wanting alts. At the other hand, you can just go on your alt and use it but not at the same time, as far as i know without a ghost program you can't make your alt do stuff while doing something else although i have no experience with that ;)

edit: it's a private server anyway so alts won't be too necessary

Edited by loenabelle

2 comps 2 steam accts 2 wurm unlimited.  Back to the old school way of dual boxing hehhehe

• Like 4

2 comps 2 steam accts 2 wurm unlimited.  Back to the old school way of dual boxing hehhehe

exactly

Ok so here's the point which has at least me confused.

From the FAQ

I decide to run my own server, say on a professionally hosted machine (which I organise separately with a hosting company). Ignoring the hosting and server bandwidth costs, will I need to buy the game once or pay a monthly fee? Will the stand-alone version only be available via Steam, or will I be able to buy (for example) a tarball or rpm from the WO/WU website? I guess everyone who wants to play on my private server will also need to buy the client (e.g. from Steam)?

• You just run your Steam client on the hosted machine and download and install the dedicated Wurm Unlimited server. You only need to buy it once.

So....  I got my Steam account, rented the server, run Steam on it, bring up the server.

Now to open Steam at home I need to either be able to logoff Steam on my server, or create a separate Steam account for it.  Means now I need the Wurm CLIENT to open.

How's that going to go... 

If the client's a free separate download, cool. 

If not you need a separate, way cheaper "client only" purchase (can't host or solo, only connect to private servers).  Would mean that "Full" bundle would include one client key that your server account can gift to your everyday Steam account.

I could spit guesswork for hours on different possible combinations regarding what needs and doesn't need steam to launch and/or run etc etc etc... 

From my understanding, it will be like Biowares Neverwinter Nights.

Once the game is installed you can go to the games directory and there will be a client .exe and a server .exe.

Just copy the server .exe to your hosting machine and run it from there, and load up your client .exe from your gaming machine.

Dual Boxing and steam is impossible.... The server admins of the WU servers will need to find a way how they can fill this gap.

Here's the deal. Not all of us want to multiplayer private server Wurm Unlimited. We already multiplayer Wurm. We want to single player Wurm Unlimited as it was said to be a single player game and we would be able to play it single player.

It's being said it's a single player game that can be co-op via a private server. It's far from a single player game as you need a minimum of three priests of the same faith at 100 favor online and linked at the same time to cast some of the spells OR you have to GM God Mode spawn OR you have to join a multiplayer server to play fully. I am already on a multiplayer server. It's called Wurm Online. Why spend more money for a client and a server, then join a multiplayer game at up to $100 a month server rental or need 3 computers, 3 steam accounts, 3 WU client purchases... 

Until they give some outlined details on how this is going to work, it's looking like a half-assed money grab touting a Single Player Wurm Online experience that is not even remotely possible. 

Edited by Audrel

No matter what the situation is at launch, this game is highly modifiable by nature.  I'm sure if it's necessary there will be mods that change the spell casting requirements soon after launch.

Yeah, may rely on my admin account to enchant my weaps and gear >_<

You could make your character a champion perhaps, champions have no limitations on crafting and such. (and modding out the champion point system to make it unlimited champ time).

But yeah, loading multiple characters at once would have been nice (would even be good for hermits, gives a more "busy" look to a village ;))

Btw, can you even run 2 steams on the same IP? I have 2 computers, but is it as simple as making another steamaccount on my computer that doesnt have steam yet? Wont it say something along the lines of "there is already a steam running" or whatnot?

You could make your character a champion perhaps, champions have no limitations on crafting and such. (and modding out the champion point system to make it unlimited champ time).

But yeah, loading multiple characters at once would have been nice (would even be good for hermits, gives a more "busy" look to a village ;))

Btw, can you even run 2 steams on the same IP? I have 2 computers, but is it as simple as making another steamaccount on my computer that doesnt have steam yet? Wont it say something along the lines of "there is already a steam running" or whatnot?

You can run 2 DIFFERENT steams from the same IP. Not sure what the limit is, But im sure its not a feasible limit that one should normally reach. 

You just cant run two steams from the same computer thats all.

Edit:

Source: A few years back me and my brother would play steam games together under the same roof on same IP

Edited by akaedis

You can run 2 DIFFERENT steams from the same IP. Not sure what the limit is, But im sure its not a feasible limit that one should normally reach. 

You just cant run two steams from the same computer thats all.

Edit:

Source: A few years back me and my brother would play steam games together under the same roof on same IP

Ugh, nvm, my brain was a bit slow there. That would mean I have to buy WU 2 times, somehow I thought of multiple steamclients being the same as multiple WO clients x_x

Actually you only need to buy it once, that is assuming multiple personality disorder qualifies as a 'family'

http://store.steampowered.com/promotion/familysharing

Up to five accounts sharing the same purchase just not at the same time.    You cannot even multibox with steam clients, it's security will not let simultaneous login, only works if games are enabled to play in offline mode.

Unless of coure Rolf reads this message and turns off family sharing when he realizes it ruins his plans to alt profit.

Edited by yarnevk