Sign in to follow this  
Lycanthropic

Mods: What is possible?

Looking around the WU forum section here, I already so lots of mod-ideas pop up.

I also have some stuff in mind that would be cool if it could be made:

• Fish smoking hut, to transform fish into smoked fish that can be stored in food bin
  • A mod that gets rid of the content-decay-tick of 5% on goods in bulkbins/foodbins
  • A large magical chest with endless storage capacity (without the need of fountainpans)
  • A trophy rack, where you can display skulls of the uniques (would need unique graphics first of each skull tho)
  • A way to turn corpses (unbutcherd) into stuffed versions, so if you kill a red dragon, you can "stuff" it, and put a (basically) non-moving model of the dragon on your deed as decoration.
  • The addition of new weapon types with their respective subskills and models ingame (flails, crossbows, claws, ...)
  • Increasing the amount a boat can hold cargo and passengers-wise
  • new cooking recipes, different types of food that can give certain buffs for a limited time (like some of the buffs you get from the priest-spells or valrei items)
  • Even the smelting oven from the suggestions forum thats been going strong for many years now

And allot more!

But that got me thinking: Is this all possible?

Will WU be that mod-friendly?

Can you add new items with new graphics in just like that?

Is there stuff that is simply not possible at all the way current Wurm is coded? (who knows, I'm thinking of more weird stuff like a spell that can decompile an item/structure in its components for example, so when you dont like the house you build, you just cast a spell on it and it goes *poof* and leaves item piles behind with all the mats you used to make it)

I understand that people who know their Java can probably do allot of the ideas, but if I look at Wurm and recall the different times devs/gms/... said that the code was very spaghetti... then it has me worried that it might prove rather troublesome to get new stuff modded into Wurm by users.

We all have been dreaming and fantasizing about what we would like in WU, but I get this eery feeling it'll stay with dreams mostly.

Unless Rolf releases some badass editor later on like the one Morrowind/skyrim has, because with those tools, even a noob like me could make some awesome houses/quests in morrowind :D

Edited by Lycanthropic

Fist off...I wonder when Wurm's going to start enforcing the new rules about modding (which is or requires hacking). Rolf can you please step in and allow us to talk about modding? This potential feature is going to be a huge boon to WU. It is going to be so good it deservers its own sub-forum.

Looking around the WU forum section here, I already so lots of mod-ideas pop up.

I also have some stuff in mind that would be cool if it could be made:

• Fish smoking hut, to transform fish into smoked fish that can be stored in food bin
  • A mod that gets rid of the content-decay-tick of 5% on goods in bulkbins/foodbins
  • A large magical chest with endless storage capacity (without the need of fountainpans)
  • A trophy rack, where you can display skulls of the uniques (would need unique graphics first of each skull tho)
  • A way to turn corpses (unbutcherd) into stuffed versions, so if you kill a red dragon, you can "stuff" it, and put a (basically) non-moving model of the dragon on your deed as decoration.
  • The addition of new weapon types with their respective subskills and models ingame (flails, crossbows, claws, ...)
  • Increasing the amount a boat can hold cargo and passengers-wise
  • new cooking recipes, different types of food that can give certain buffs for a limited time (like some of the buffs you get from the priest-spells or valrei items)
  • Even the smelting oven from the suggestions forum thats been going strong for many years now

Its programing, anything is possible. Some things will be much easier than others. I suspect trying to mod in 3d caves and rivers will be extremely difficult. In contrast adding fish for FSB might include coping cooked meat, paste, rename cooked fish (a little harder than this but I doubt it's that hard).

* For BSB (and other bulk containers) there is likely RNG algorithms that decided when to apply the %5. I'd also guess the 5% is a constant. Change that 5 to a 0. Change the RNG chance to something miniscule.

* endless storage magic chest would be hard. There is nothing in wurm that works like that. You could change the internal volume and length, width, depth values for the magic chest's insides to be some huge value...caravel size for example. External container size related data does not influence internal container data.

* increase boat cargo hold should be easy as you just change the containers metrics. I'd guess changing passengers on the other hand to be difficult. Where would they sit and what would happen if no seats are left?

* smelting forge....LOL. Dumbest, nerftastic, thing I've ever seen. Set forge internal volume so you can fit lots of ore inside. You could increase it to the point where 100 of 64-ore-bundles fit inside.

Fist off...I wonder when Wurm's going to start enforcing the new rules about modding (which is or requires hacking). Rolf can you please step in and allow us to talk about modding? This potential feature is going to be a huge boon to WU. It is going to be so good it deservers its own sub-forum.

WU already have section for modding, we decided that most WU discussions will be kept on Steam discussions boards: http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/5/. I will personally take care of helping and contacting with modders, and have to agree - I think that modding is a future of this game.

It comes down to three things imo.

1)What will be included in the API

2)The structure of the code

3)How deep you're willing to dive.

Generally changes can be classified in three different categories. Feature removal, feature alteration and feature addition. 

Removing the storage bin decay is as simple as having access to either the code that performs the removal or the code that triggers it and simply overriding it. This is a simple feature removal approach. 

Altering the amount of materials in a bin is an alteration that will mainly depend on if the API will allow it and how structured the code is. If for example the server handles storage as a short and you try to put a max value that exceeds it, you might end up crashing players clients causing buffer overflows when they receive associated data from the server or even worse crash the server if it uses that piece of code somewhere else.

Feature addition is by far the most difficult thing. This usually involves a lot of changes and to perform them & maintain them you have to limit yourself to what the API provides to you.