Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

News #79: Custom Maps for Wurm Unlimited

Hi Belfasar,

As for bugs, some are trickier to counter, for example the client is getting some love every week. But when it is still being worked on, we wont bug people with saying: Work continues on client coding, every single week. Bugfixing and hiring someone to monitor servers and downtimes, made it so Wurm Online has been more reliable than ever before. (Even people playing Wurm Online only 3 years know this to be true, there has been less downtime than ever before, especially for those living in the Usa.) 

Maybe you just missed it.

The reason to have WU is for CodeClub AB to grow and have more time for development.

(Devs will not participate in opinions back and forth on the forums, they are busy coding, i can however say that bugs and suggestions are being prioritised and seen.)

Edited by krinos78
  • Like 2

well i think everyone who play already WO need special discount code for WU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as i know rolf there will be no release at date he promiss as we see that before so there will be week delay atlast!   :D

From Rolf's FAQ thread.

Will there be any discount for playing WO already?

• We have no way of linking Wurm Online player accounts to Steam accounts unfortunately so we wouldn't know who to give a discount. We have no way of generating private discount codes on Steam and distributing to an email list either. There will be a general release date discount however. We are looking into providing discounted packages but those things are managed by Steam.

And so it begins, some guy out there has seen this and skyrim (or morrowind) will soon exist as a wurm map.

Man, I hope that means that phobia blobs will finally be enlarged. Doubt people are going to be patient for that sort of adjustment over on Steam!

And so it begins, some guy out there has seen this and skyrim (or morrowind) will soon exist as a wurm map.

Actually, Skyrim map would be great for Wurm... It would just need to be surrounded by water from all sides. Vvardenfell would fit Wurm as well. :)

• Like 1

Hi Freaya,

The team is small so all new information will get to you through the regular channels. So especially until the release of Wu there will be more talk about it. After its release the server code will still be developed for WO first and information will be more like people are used to. That doesnt means there wont be news about WU anymore after its release, its part of the CodeClub branch now.

As for bugs, some are trickier to counter, for example the client is getting some love every week. But when it is still being worked on, we wont bug people with saying: Work continues on client coding, every single week. Bugfixing and hiring someone to monitor servers and downtimes, made it so Wurm Online has been more reliable than ever before. (Even people playing Wurm Online only 3 years know this to be true, there has been less downtime than ever before, especially for those living in the Usa.) 

I'm not making comment about the state of the game, I'm happy with the new features we have and the stability generally, there are still some hugely impacting bugs that have no real dev response to them, like memory leaks and gfx issues on pretty much any on board chip. Not to mention the smaller things that as older players we have come to accept but that possibly ruin the game for new players, like guard tower guards getting stuck in mines often resulting in their death or the cart issues with them being invisible or disembarking and getting stuck 

i can however say that bugs and suggestions are being prioritised and seen.)

I'd love a quick 5 second response in the thread to show it's even been seen. I'm sure that would make many people happy

As a final note I think generally you guys are doing a great job and I'm feeling positive about what WU will do for the wurm universe providing it's not released as a buggy mess like quite a few of our patches have been, this will be a standalone game that should have had months of testing before being released. Half of the steam population most likely won't stick around to recommend or play a buggy game.

• Like 1

I'm not making comment about the state of the game, I'm happy with the new features we have and the stability generally, there are still some hugely impacting bugs that have no real dev response to them, like memory leaks and gfx issues on pretty much any on board chip. Not to mention the smaller things that as older players we have come to accept but that possibly ruin the game for new players, like guard tower guards getting stuck in mines often resulting in their death or the cart issues with them being invisible or disembarking and getting stuck 

I'd love a quick 5 second response in the thread to show it's even been seen. I'm sure that would make many people happy

As a final note I think generally you guys are doing a great job and I'm feeling positive about what WU will do for the wurm universe providing it's not released as a buggy mess like quite a few of our patches have been, this will be a standalone game that should have had months of testing before being released. Half of the steam population most likely won't stick around to recommend or play a buggy game.

I'm trying to find it, but failing as always with forum searches...

It's been mentioned many times though that a new graphics engine for Wurm is in development that will resolve many of the issues that plague the game in terms of stability. If you compare Wurm's developers with other MMOs, you'll find that they are more active in the community than most. It's just as Atazoth said, they're usually making themselves busy with actually working on these issues than responding to numerous requests for status updates and such.

I know when I see my doctor, she rarely calls me back about things unless it's serious (thankfully, it rarely is!). Usually her staff do all the contacting and informing, which is exactly what the PR team is tasked with here. They reach out to developers with questions, get answers, and bring them back in the form of posts and news stories.

It's been mentioned many times though that a new graphics engine for Wurm is in development that will resolve many of the issues that plague the game in terms of stability. If you compare Wurm's developers with other MMOs, you'll find that they are more active in the community than most. It's just as Atazoth said, they're usually making themselves busy with actually working on these issues than responding to numerous requests for status updates and such.

Mostly we aren't looking for status updates just a simple reply that the issue is known and being worked on. I wouldn't even mind if it was a staff member that replied in the post saying that the devs are aware of the issue but sadly that's also lacking in most of the bug posts.

We rarely comment on procedures. But when i 1st got staff i was thoroughly impressed to see how all bugs posted on forum are organised/categorized/reworked in a program that shows devs the progress and status of a bug. They then work on it like exterminators and change the status. They are well aware of EVERYTHING players post when it comes to bugs. The people that do this are another hidden force behind the game that rarely get complimented for their work behind the scenes. Still they do a heck of a job and are one of the reasons Wurm Online is still here after more than a decade.

Devs however will not post on forums:

Yo,i hear ya, stay tuned brah, this ones easy, just need more coffee. :)

Edited by krinos78
  • Like 1

Will the Map API be backwards compatible? Meaning could it it used with existing maps in WO? Not really looking at edits for WO maps, but curious if this could lead to more, perhaps monthly, mapdumps of WO servers. 

Will the Map API be backwards compatible? Meaning could it it used with existing maps in WO? Not really looking at edits for WO maps, but curious if this could lead to more, perhaps monthly, mapdumps of WO servers.

Impossible, WO server files are not publicly available.

Oh, apologies. I didn't realize the API would be customer facing. I thought the server admin would have to perform the dump. Are you saying the users can dump the map at anytime? If so, does this mean mini-map mods could be a thing?

You know Rolf is always thinking up ways to increase his revenue and to increase player retention all the while missing the most obvious flaw that annoys a lot of people, Myself included and that is the poor communication, How about dev`s actualy spend a little time replying to their customers.

We have a long list of bugs that need fixing in WO, Some of them months to years old and if it was not for Alectrys passing them on you would not have a clue.

We also have the suggestions forum with loads of quick simple ideas to improve the gameplay experience but that is also largly ignored, Threads go on for months and at times its like flogging a dead horse.

Since the announcement of WU, Everything has stopped for WO, Do you not think WO should take priority? and yet nothing ^^

Welcome to business. Regardless of the type of business, whatever direction is perceived as the most direct path to positive cash flow and steady revenue generation is going to be the path that the company focused on, regardless of the popularity. In this case I can only speculate that the WU path is the one that achieves those goals for this company- as nice as it would be to address everyone's desires, it's not their #1 priority. I'm not saying it's bad or good...I'm just saying it is what it is.

We all have opinions about what Rolf should be doing but who says we are any wiser or would do any better in his shoes? We don't even have enough background info to presume that.

Edited by Kruggan

I see a lot of complainers about WU and not a one of them offering to join the bug-squashing dev force =P

The people that do this are another hidden force behind the game that rarely get complimented for their work behind the scenes. 

Hard to compliment something that no one knows is happening. So many threads people just want someone to acknowledge the problem.

Take the Xanadu spawns as an example, lots of threads, lots of frustration. The last we've heard from anyone official on the subject was over a year ago.

There may be tons of dev activity working at fixing this but at this point all we know on this issue is that the devs are working on a different game for someone else.

• Like 2

...and that would be the bee's knees.

• Like 1

I see a lot of complainers about WU and not a one of them offering to join the bug-squashing dev force =P

If i knew how i would

Nice. I would like a small map for private server, around 500x500 tiles.

I'm gonna love making roads all over my server without having to double-lane everything I want to last. ^_^

Best highway I've seen is Hell Hound Trail, and that's 1 lane.... had a more "wilderness road" feel to it.

Yet another stroke of brilliance from Rofl...smh look where minecraft went no wonder dude left...

Yay!

I don't have enough free time at the moment to justify even one WO sub, but WU pleases me. It's exactly what I've been asking for all this time. Something I can derp around with in snippits of free time here and there to get my Wurm fix. :)

And if it increases exposure of WO through WU's release on Steam... all that much the better!

Thanks Rolf and dev for making this a reality!

Addendum: I saw that someone was developing a one-way character 'transfer' tool so to speak that could take our existing WO toons and put them in our own worlds in WU. This would be amazing beyond compare if I could play around with my main that I've put so much time and effort into. That would just be the icing on the whole cake.

Edited by Belrindor