Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

News #79: Custom Maps for Wurm Unlimited

News%20Header%20(old).jpg?dl=1

Hey all!

Work has continued on a number of things this week, including the almost-ready first batch of updates to the Permissions system, and more work on Unlimited. Once again dependent on final bugfixing, we'd like to release said permissions update next week.

We also have a new map API for Wurm Unlimited to announce this week, that ought to be released early next week in its first version. Once complete, it will help WU players to create their own maps. More below!

Also, if you're still unsure about anything to do with Unlimited and how it will (but mostly won't) affect Online, then we released an FAQ last week that includes some helpful information.

The Week in Patch Notes

There were a few minor fixes this week. With any luck, this segment will be full of permissions news by next week!

23/09/15:
  • Reinforced cave floors will no longer result in dying to suffocation.
  • Fixed dispelling imbuements. Imbuements will now be properly removed when they are dispelled.
  • Fixed applying masonry ointments. The ointment should now work like other imbuements.

Wurm Unlimited Mapmaker

Warlander has been working on an API for maps (Application Program Interface - aka it lets you make and edit maps) for Wurm Unlimited. He's planning an initial release next week, and in time he hopes to include things like a full feature suite for creating maps and the ability to make mapdumps.

Long-term, this will mean that you'll be able to make, edit and dump your own maps to use with Unlimited.

Screenshot of the Week

This week's foggy deed was snapped by Kristof of the deed Peaceful Harbour on Celebration. Fog is good at looking rather mystical! Thanks to PandyLynn for sharing this on the forums.

Screenshot.jpg?dl=1

That concludes this week's news. It's still a little quiet while work continues on Unlimited - we'll have more to show over the coming weeks though!

• Like 17

So nothing about the preorder of WU from the wurm shop that the Plug in Digital guy talked about on steam?   :(

Edited by Kegan

Could I make a request, that instead of getting news about a different game that some of us have zero interest in, that some of the developers take a small peek at the server bugs and client bugs list and possibly dedicate a few hours a week to answering posts made there and then maybe we can get more than 3 patch notes for an entire week of development. As it stands there have been some long-standing bugs with zero dev response. Perhaps generate some extra staff positions to handle talking to the devs and providing feedback in the bugs forum if they are too busy for this.

On the flipside to that, those who are interested in WU can rest assured that the game giving massive advertising to the Wurm universe won't be a buggy mess upon release and potentially turn away new customers or prevent positive reviews

• Like 10

He is getting fat from the cookies we pay him with.

acceptable form of payment, IMHO! I often tell my patients that chocolate chip cookies (warm, obviously) are an efficient form of payment!

render3f04.png

I call it the desert :D well first try and understanding that map mechanic isn't easy but I will keep on working

• Like 10

Wurm maps must be surrounded by water. :)

Otherwise there ain't no way to sail to them.  :lol:

Wurm maps must be surrounded by water. :)

why is that anyways?

why is that anyways?

Most likely due to difficulty to show terrain outside the map - it is much easier to display endless water than plains or hills.

• Like 1

well i think everyone who play already WO need special discount code for WU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

and as i know rolf there will be no release at date he promiss as we see that before so there will be week delay atlast!  :D

• Like 1

Why are you giving us update notes on a different game. We don't care

render3f04.png

I call it the desert :D well first try and understanding that map mechanic isn't easy but I will keep on working

Finally a map I can visit

Dune__Drive_the_sandworm_by_leywad.jpg

• Like 4

Hi Freaya,

The team is small so all new information will get to you through the regular channels. So especially until the release of Wu there will be more talk about it. After its release the server code will still be developed for WO first and information will be more like people are used to. That doesnt means there wont be news about WU anymore after its release, its part of the CodeClub branch now.

As for bugs, some are trickier to counter, for example the client is getting some love every week. But when it is still being worked on, we wont bug people with saying: Work continues on client coding, every single week. Bugfixing and hiring someone to monitor servers and downtimes, made it so Wurm Online has been more reliable than ever before. (Even people playing Wurm Online only 3 years know this to be true, there has been less downtime than ever before, especially for those living in the Usa.) 

Edited by krinos78
  • Like 3

You know Rolf is always thinking up ways to increase his revenue and to increase player retention all the while missing the most obvious flaw that annoys a lot of people, Myself included and that is the poor communication, How about dev`s actualy spend a little time replying to their customers.

We have a long list of bugs that need fixing in WO, Some of them months to years old and if it was not for Alectrys passing them on you would not have a clue.

We also have the suggestions forum with loads of quick simple ideas to improve the gameplay experience but that is also largly ignored, Threads go on for months and at times its like flogging a dead horse.

Since the announcement of WU, Everything has stopped for WO, Do you not think WO should take priority? and yet nothing ^^

• Like 2

Since the announcement of WU, Everything has stopped for WO, Do you not think WO should take priority? and yet nothing ^^

I don't think so :) Seeing as WU and WO, while both different, use the same technologies - this would mean that advancement for one would lead into advancement for the other. This is also why it's great to see such support for modding before release, as Rolf did mention in his Q&A that it's quite possible a community mod could make its way into WO.

Speaking of new features for WO, as stated in the news, new Permission system is on Test! Go check it out! We're getting ready on the wiki...

• Like 1