Sign in to follow this  
Karrde

Dont let Rolf see this...

When it comes to insane DLC and other payments... EA, Star Citizen, I am looking at you. :)

• Like 3

dlc for wurm sound great :D  why just make 25dollars if you can get out of someone 3000$  haha

Depends what kind of DLC... a "works for utter non-programmer noobs" map editor for example would rock.

I'm gonna hate myself for the following comment, many of you too... to hell with us all!!!! but.... 

If certain content were added to the MMO as a standard update, then DLC'd to WU servers at reasonable rates, I'd bite.

Say... Challenge rewards.... or round corners for houses.... THE OLD SKINS FOR BOATS AND SHIPS (sorry, had to get that off my chest)... slate bridges.  Stuff people always ask for but is pricey to develop, let DLC from WU pay that, just don't go overboard with the price.  Guess it depends on how many copies sell to begin with.

Even games like Killing Floor, a first person shooter, have people who mod paying random $3's to add certain things to their servers.  Basically a way to monetize Wurm further without blasting into the MMO's core principles, to put it diplomatically.

Of course core updates, bugfixes, etc.. should never be monetized, that's a 1-way ticket to hatesville.  Also has to be a balance between what's DLC'd for WU and what's included.

Example:  If WU had launched before the addition of wagons-crates-loading, that would definitely be included as an update for WU owners.  HOWEVER, apart from the 4 kingdom wagons, MMO gets 6 "universal" wagon designs to pick from with matching horse bardings, horrible pain to craft and uses expensive mats.  WU gets THOSE 6 extra blings as a $2-5 DLC.

In fact, switching from old to new ship skins would have been one DLC I'd have NOT bought and been glad for the choice =P

My 2 copper.

Edited by Mordraug
  • Like 1

When it comes to insane DLC and other payments... EA, Star Citizen, I am looking at you. :)

Speaking of Star Citizen, Rolf could be selling special add-on ships, such as:

What do you get when you slap together two or three knarrs?

The Trimaran!

Its Sleek! Its Fast! And it comes with sharks tied on to power it even in low winds!

Sharks with battleaxes strapped to their heads!!!

And of course there's the Land-sailing Knarr, which officially I have never seen operating on any server. :ph34r:

​

Edited by Karrde

And of course there's the Land-sailing Knarr, which officially I have never seen operating on any server. :ph34r:

​

Just lag in gale near the shore on Xan ^_^

• Like 1

Just lag in gale near the shore on Xan ^_^

Sometimes that works too... Or you get thrown off the ship and to sail again one has to push it back into the water for approx. five minutes.

However, have you ever been on a knarr capable of sailing straight up and down mountains and along terrain far, far inland with no water for leagues around?

I can neither confirm nor deny such a knarr ever existing on a Wurm server.

Meh, simulator DLC like in the OP isn't a fair comparison to "normal" games and their DLC. I've spent £30 on a single plane once for X-Plane 10, becuase hardcore flight simming and because it was incredibly detailed. I'm all for people getting paid for what they make, if what they make not only includes a ton of modelling and programming, but also a requirement to e.g. have very good aeronautical engineering knowledge so you can make something fly as realistically as possible, and doing all of that to end up having it not sell many copies.

• Like 1