Sign in to follow this  
ownerpure5

Solid Public Servers

Are there any people planning on running a solid Server that will hopefully become popular? I've seen the four on the Wu Steam page but are there any others?

I will personally be hosting a stable dedicated server that will be well structured and managed with active GMs. We will ofcourse be supporting importing of Wurm Online character skills. I have many plans for new game features and additions and I will be accepting suggestions on what to add. Player feedback will be very important in the entire development process.

Certain other things such as PVP enabled is not yet determined, prolly not though, since a fairly large playerbase is needed for PVP to work properly. If there is enough of a demand for and we end up having a decent playerbase, I will prolly think up something.

I will post more details and make a new thread here once its gone public.

You can see my current idea process over at my forums.

Edited by WesncIsMe

Personally it sadly depends on too many factors to accurately estimate. This can consist of the following:

• Decent hardware and hosting.
  • How much of the vanilla Wurm has been messed with?
  • What popular mods are availa​ble, if any?
  • How much of a is t​he admin(s)?
  • Is the fee-to-play fair? Free sounds great till one factors in the first concern.​
  • Will sufficient number of other players even show up?​

Just look for servers that have the word "Dedicated" in the title, Those will typically stay around for a year or two+ even if its zero population. There just being hosted on peoples server box's and sometimes aren't touched by the owners for some time until someone wants to play it again.

Typically when this happens, Regulars get slight promotion to kick off #####head's

Pretty much depends on testing out wu if goes well then i would sort and mod a server.

Same, machine is setup to accomodate a 2048 map fully loaded with animals and with i hope 50 players or so. But a couple things need to be tested and done before making it public. As the server will be full pve i want to have permissions and mechanics totally tested so they can self manage as much as possible. I dont intend to ruin my game experience running all day behind pve dramas. Windows licensing, thats a pita. Other minor things. Then I ll launch it to public. Machine is at home, 100 %!dedicated to be a server for wurm unlimited. I wont monetize. Again, wurm is a game for enjoyment and relaxation for me. I have a job to pay for it.

• Like 2

Let's be optimistic and say that after a month or so of WU being out on steam the amount of people who actively play it on steam reaches about to about 40000 - 50000

Wouldn't it make it possible for some good servers to have 1000+ of active players on them? Especially, since it'll be on steam there will be a way to browse the servers from an ingame list?

Edited by ownerpure5

Hope one can go unlisted, by and by.

Gonna solo 'til I can get a dozen or two friends in which case can rent some rack space, "fee" being cost/#ofplayers.

Would still be nice if Rolf gave us the processing/bandwidth usage for say, Release, <old cluster map>, and Xanadu just to have an idea of what one has to quote for at hosting companies (or one's own rig).

WO and WU have different server back-ends, since the WO requires Security and is probably running on Enterprise software

Everyone says "yes, Im planning it!" but no one knows the real pains of keeping up, committing to it long term. In one breath you (the bitter, bitchy demanding types) have been criticising wurm staff for everything, but in the other breathe you still want to rely on them to keep providing updates and keep your own servers running. 

The costs involved, the time, the effort, the reliance on the developers of the software on those servers, and 40 other things, are where the line gets drawn.

I wish you well, but in the end, there will one big one, and some smaller offshoots, and the rest will fade along with the 5 players that built lives on them. It's how it goes. One or two of you will turn into a rolf, where your players will ######, and insult you for being down 4 minutes, and when they lost data because you didn't spend a 100 euros more for the redundancy. 

Hopefully, someone will be really great at this in the long run, and have player's interests at heart, and won't have a tendency to keep tweaking settings and the economy out of sheer curiosity, and that I can come play there if god forbid, WO gets nuked.

• Like 2

Everyone says "yes, Im planning it!" but no one knows the real pains of keeping up, committing to it long term. In one breath you (the bitter, bitchy demanding types) have been criticising wurm staff for everything, but in the other breathe you still want to rely on them to keep providing updates and keep your own servers running. 

The costs involved, the time, the effort, the reliance on the developers of the software on those servers, and 40 other things, are where the line gets drawn.

I wish you well, but in the end, there will one big one, and some smaller offshoots, and the rest will fade along with the 5 players that built lives on them. It's how it goes. One or two of you will turn into a rolf, where your players will ######, and insult you for being down 4 minutes, and when they lost data because you didn't spend a 100 euros more for the redundancy. 

Hopefully, someone will be really great at this in the long run, and have player's interests at heart, and won't have a tendency to keep tweaking settings and the economy out of sheer curiosity, and that I can come play there if god forbid, WO gets nuked.

completely agree, everything you said there is why i wanted to spend some time with WU to test and play with away from hoting a public server and then i can actually do it right with the correct team whom all want to help and enable the server to be maintained.

• Like 1

completely agree, everything you said there is why i wanted to spend some time with WU to test and play with away from hoting a public server and then i can actually do it right with the correct team whom all want to help and enable the server to be maintained.

This.

If you find a server who ask you to donate to keep server going those will stick around alot longer specially those who have it built in. Example Nitrado. They have a built in donate system for players to donate to the server. Servers they run on a system like this are more likely to stay as long as it's player base keep up the cost to run it. People running servers on there own rigs have a thi9ng about switching when the next game comes around they need a server for. I find it so super rare and hard to believe some one will pay out of pocket for a long years service for others to play completely free.

Rolf gets paid in monthly subs to get money aside to pay for his servers for us that's why they will last. Unless a similar system is run the server will never last which is why I use the example of Nitrado type servers. Example 2 if I was to run a private server for everyone and you didn't donate a couple times a year to help support the server I'd personally ban you cause it wouldn't be fair for others or myself to donate and not you.

If you seek a long lasting server use common since when looking and remember if it's free it is to good to be true.

I will be hosting such server, to give you some ideas and address some of the concerns here

1) Hardware - the hardware will be latest in terms of server tech available (yes I will be using my own funds to sort this out, have done so in the past with other popular titles such as ARK.) The hardware running those servers is top notch and custom built for these games (With ARK I had 80+ people spread across 2 servers and the lag was not noticable, and if it was down to client performance, simply because some PCs wouldnt be able to handle certain size bases and amount of dinos, which was to be expected as the game at the time lacked a lot of optimisation)

2) Admin abuse - Let me just say that while I'll be preparing the server a bit, I won't be playing as much as I will focus on MOD development and server stability over anything else really (plus I will keep playing in WO). Also I have been actively working on some of the biggest MMOG out there (professionally and getting paid by these companies in such roles), where my job focused around Team Management / Team Leader / QA Manager. (yes I have done real GM work in the past). With that in mind I have since grown up and moved industries. I spent 9+ years in the gaming industry and am now a Director in a Company (~7y) that develops backend / service networking technology for many big Telco providers.

Any and all staff to be recruited will go through a screening process with me and will have to prove genuinity etc. Meaning people being GMs will be 1) not easy to pass and  2) if you become one you will have limitations. Trust is earned people, just like anywhere else.

3) Focus - The focus will be around the player community and what they would like to see. I will be spending most of my time concerining myself with network stability and backend code as well as coding a proper support system in place, which players can use to open a ticket from in game. Which then can get handled via GMs internal interface and via a web interface. (meaning you wont need to be in game to handle your ticket)

4) Transparency - Any action taking that influences either a single person or the entire server populus will be made public on our own forum, meaning we will have full transparency. Staff will be known to public. Any admin action taken will be made public.

5) Hosting? - The services will be hosted in Ireland to provide good latency to EU and US

Some initial statements:

- Any griefers will be banned, without discussion (steamid banned)

- Rollbacks might happen if some major hack / inbalance was to be found out, such as a gold imbalance (e.g. someone found a way to dupe money)

- Server size will be 16x16 at start with multiple simple spawn points setup.

- The map shall not reset unless otherwise forced via CodeClub (because of introduction of a function that absolutely requires it)

- Server will have its own ticketing / support solution. In the beginning via website, which then later on get integrated into a client interface (meaning access via in game UI).

- Backups will be constantly made

- No PvP in the beginning, if enough people ask for it we might consider adding an island, very much like Chaos or the Epic isles.

CONTROVERSIAL -- Monetization, if I / we endup having to spend a lot more money on hosting / hardware then we have to find ways to compensate. I am personally against such things like cash-shops but if it becomes a necessity then we might provide things such as sleep powder or other bonuses for RL dollars. Again I AM AGAINST monetizing anything if you already paid for the game.

Mod plans (in no particular order):

- add Crossbow

- add more NPC

- add more armor types and variants (models)

- in-game Ticketing / Supportsystem via UI

- An easier way to trade with one another, possibly hire NPC to retrieve goods (have a design doc written up for this)

- Steam power and ultimatively steam powered machines (imagine ship powered via steam)

With all these things in mind, I hope that we will be able to provide a nice and fair world that people can enjoy their stay in. Focus here is Fair play and enjoyment of Wurm as a game We do not want to limit how people play the game.

Anyways I hope to see you all online and looking forward to your creations.

Edited by Megachill
  • Like 1

I know there are a few in the works that are public as well as some in the works that are being hidden. Personally I plan to host a server, though until release and some solid testing as well as seeing what the modding community comes up with (my experience in the modding arena is limited) I plan to keep it to a small group of friends, alliance members and a limited scale using applications. From there I will see whether I open it up further to the public, potentially link to servers friends are starting up, or remain a sort of whitelisted community server. Or whether I team up with others who knows. 

I am sure there will be great servers out there. Some will last long term and some will close nearly as quick as they open. I assume it will be much like minecraft in that regard. Some owners will realize the work load of running a community and close up, some will be in it to make money and some will be dedicated to fostering a small community.

By the looks of the forums here there are many experienced and dedicated people looking to expand the wurm universe with new worlds, new ideas and new communities... It's an exciting time for Wurm that's for sure.

I'll be hosting an Australian server, haven't really announced it publicly yet as there's still a fair amount of time and some things to setup and decide on. Have already setup the domain and website, and am in the middle of working out some map ideas and what the specifics will be. Actual hardware will be hosted in Sydney for the low ping times for those in Oceania to connect to and play, though there will be no restrictions on who can join (i.e. if you're not from Oceania you can certainly play too).

I ran a similar Minecraft server for over 3 years, so have a good amount of experience with handling everything that's involved, and knowing what to expect when it comes to hosting a dedicated server like this. Not to mention having years of experience with the code base is a decent advantage, heh.

Will hopefully have everything sorted to post on the steam forums about it within a week or two.

I'll be hosting an Australian server, haven't really announced it publicly yet as there's still a fair amount of time and some things to setup and decide on.

Wasn't busy atm, so figured I'd do you a solid and get a logo ready:

WO-Aussie.jpg

You're Welcome :D

Edited by Karrde
  • Like 2