Sign in to follow this  
Fraeya

Please remove the stupid northwestern underwater paving rule

Please remove this, it feels like a bug from alpha that should have been fixed long ago.

Currently to pave a tile half in water the northwestern corner must be out of water, for example a pillar of dirt 1 tile high 50 dirt above water you would be able to pave the south and east faces perfectly fine but the north and west sides you cannot. To fix this currently you have to raise the northwest corner of the tile you want to pave out of the water, pave it then dredge it down again.

That is stupid and serves no purpose other than to double the amount of work you have to do based on the flippin direction of the compass.

Proposed fix would be  to allow paving on any tile providing it has at least one corner above water. If that is not possible to do without including paving underwater then allow that aswell. Infact that should be added also to promote more creativity.

Paved harbours, paved canals, underwater directions I dunno :)

• Like 8

i'd say allow paving of tiles underwater as long as they are not bellow -25. For all the reasons above.

• Like 9

Totally agree, but I think each tile is based on that one specific corner.  It is like the brain of the tile.  I bet to give each other corner meaning or properties would be a big hit on resources, because they have been ignoring all requests to deal with this issue for years. 

Doing this based on basically any other metric (average of corners, max height of any corner above a certain amount, min height of any corner above a certain amount, etc.) would be better than the current, completely arbitrary situation.

+1

I think it's impossible the way wurm and its tiles are coded :)

I think it's impossible the way wurm and its tiles are coded :)

I don't think it's impossible at all, there must be some sort of water-level check to decide if you can pave or not, if you cannot remove the northwest rule simply remove the check and allow paving underwater at any depth

Yep remove the underwater rule and let us pave then the corner rule no longer applies or becomes an issue to deal with

+1, But like everything else around here it wall fall on deaf ears.

+1

-1...what would be of Wurm without stupid things?

Congrats you just nullified your own vote :)

• Like 1

+1

But yeah, code is what makes the NW corner so "important", would need to remove the restriction altogether which.... in all honesty, doesn't create any balance issues I can think of.

Remove water check on pave, pack, cultivate, and destroy! Please.

correct me if I am wrong... but the way Wurm works, is ALL corners are the NW corner for at least 1 tile on the map ;)

it is referenced when checking the status of a tile, and when attempting to change the tile.  Instead of "checking all 4" corners, which would be 4x the processing power, it only checks the NW Corner.  I believe there are other checks related to the NW corner as well, but "under water" check is the most observed interaction that limits playability.

Instead of changing the Processing aspect, it makes much more sense to either A, get rid of the underwater check, or B have a 3rd "layer" added that limits how "deep" one can pave a tile.  even if its only "10" dirts deep.

• Like 1