Sign in to follow this  
ElvenElder

Do we need an open source map generator project ?

An open source WU map generator  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like an open source WU map generator to be available ?

2. 2. For coders: Would you be willing to participate in it's development ?

3. 3. Would such a collaborative effort help the WU community and servers ?

Could be a great start since it seems there's many of us working on WU in our private little teams and projects. Some of us coming from minecraft have seen similar initiatives prove sometimes great and sometimes terrible. Up for discussion.

Edited by ElvenElder

if your gonna put in a person specific option, you should put in a option saying that there not one of those people. 

Added. But I don't see if that option brings value to the poll statistics.

I'm mainly considering the fact that providing great tools to the public can sometimes turn back and hit you. In minecraft, there has been many great tools that in capable hands can create great gaming experiences. But when inapropriate people can use them, to create equally inapropriate servers and fragment the community among multiple same quality options it can be bad.

I voted no.  Look at the map thread, already you see multiple different creative expressions of what a wurm map could be.  It is up to programmers to decide if they want to open source their own projects (mine is no).  There will be a standard API for importing the maps so you do not have to worry about fragmented corrupted wurm databases.   I absolutely hope to see creative expression of maps and have no doubt someone will make entirely inappropriate phallic mountains just because they can.   But to counter that map maker you have someone else making Middle Earth maps pixel by pixel.  

Nothing against open source in general but you seem to be promoting that idea as if it is the standard tool everyones maps should use, and that goes against what I see is the idea of Wurm Unlimited.  

Same thing with textures collections, I have seen the same thing before where people say it should be open sourced (most quality textures are copyright licenses) so we have a consistent quality on what went into the collection, and all that does is degrade quality of creative freedom with lack of choices, discriminating against those artists that was not in the collection.  

If you want the same 'quality' options in maps that Wurm Online has, then it if there is a market to be had for Rolf to make money on server owners selling extra maps I have no doubt he will do that.  Good maps take time to make as they are both a science and an art.

Edited by yarnevk

hu?  Coders who don't want to share won't. Coders who believe in community and open source will seek it out. ya, no poll is going to change this.

But when inapropriate people can use them, to create equally inapropriate servers and fragment the community among multiple same quality options it can be bad.

The only inapropriate tool would be something that lets modders install malware, fishing, or backdoors onto a users machines. The thing about modding it's impossible for there to be a non-fragmented perspective. Players have different opinions on how things should be and modding lets groups do their own thing.

For example many of the following ideas are things the WO community doesn't like yet I like. Specifically; mini-maps, teleport to cursor target, teleport around the map (UO - recall, mark, gate travel), train-like auto travel (you get on it and afk travel to your destination), faster ships and remove wind, remove priest restriction so one toon really can do it all, hot air balloons ... etc.

Am I going to help with modding? As much as I can. Right now I'm just familiar with Python. I have started self teaching Java but I know I'll just be a Java noob for some time. I suspect those with skill don't want to spend time fixing bad code or teaching others that lack skill. If anything that would be the potential problem I see with trying to do an open source community project.

I will support and hopefully contribute to an open source mapping application.  My java is rusty, but programming is programming.