Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

WU Private Server Forums and Twitter

Anyone have experience with forum hosts that have worked really well?  Speedy, easy to manage and high uptime %?  Wondering if we should get our own forums up and running for WU, or will Code Club host it all and give us space for managing our own private server forums?

How about twitter?  Will we be able to tweet events from our own servers?

I would guess Rolf will want them to come here so they always have the mmo in their face all the time and let people use the fan sites for their own private server forums.  (not sure ofc but that would be my guess)

Edited by Kegan

I am not aware of any plans for CodeClub to provide managed space for private forums, nor is the current forum software capable of even doing such a thing.

• Like 1

Well if your planning to be lazy, Just use enjin for your forums. Ik, Not a very popular choice but i recommend it to those who are looking for cheap, and easy forum that requires very little work to set up. 

If your looking to host everything yourself, I recommend NFO_Servers. I had GREAT service for the 2 years we used them. Down time was minimal/Acceptable for any company, Performance wasn't that bad, Wasn't superb but far better then other hosts iv experienced in the past. 

(We'd still be with them but we got cheaper/almost free hosting from a online-friend)

I think we should have our own dedicated WU forum, I will talk about that with Rolf soon - IMO we should have official "community hub". On the other hand, private forums for (large) private servers is a good idea. :)

• Like 4

I am not sure how i feel about having two separate forums..

Oh, I feel completely sure about it

+1

I really wouldnt like people playying WO making suggestions on WU...no thanks

I am just wanting to get the online version as much exposure as it can but as long as they share a communal hub like warlander said i guess it would be okay. (I am not that good with change, lol)

I think we should have our own dedicated WU forum, I will talk about that with Rolf soon - IMO we should have official "community hub". On the other hand, private forums for (large) private servers is a good idea. :)

• Like 1

I seriously doubt Rolf himself would create another forum, as it would further separate the community as is.

I do see players making their own small communities from it, I have one myself for the server that I will hosting.

I'm using a small VPS to host all of my site on, fairly cheap, 9 USD for 1 year, 512mb ram, 512swap, 5gb disk, 500gb bandwidth. Its works for what I need since it doesn't get lots of traffic. It does require some knowledge with working linux commandline server stuff as they only offer linux distros for their VPSes 

Edited by WesncIsMe

Sounds fantastic.  I've seen many games that have a section for all the guilds/alliances, incorporated into the main community forums. 

Twitter?  Maybe that is a question to be posted in the Faq section?

I honestly would not want WO to get lost under all the WU content.  There could be fun things like a listing of public servers, showing uptime, player count and maybe a few core stats for each server, like skill gain rate, critter count, living uniques and server location (geography), or simply a ping time indicator next to each server.

Edited by Wurmhole

Sounds fantastic.  I've seen many games that have a section for all the guilds/alliances, incorporated into the main community forums. 

Twitter?  Maybe that is a question to be posted in the Faq section?

When it comes to Twitter/Facebook... This is something for Docterchese I guess. :)

Anyone have experience with forum hosts that have worked really well?  Speedy, easy to manage and high uptime %?  Wondering if we should get our own forums up and running for WU, or will Code Club host it all and give us space for managing our own private server forums?

How about twitter?  Will we be able to tweet events from our own servers?

Depends on your price range, for the most part servers are already making there own forums and here is mine as an example. http://manawurm.com/index.php

Well if your planning to be lazy, Just use enjin for your forums. Ik, Not a very popular choice but i recommend it to those who are looking for cheap, and easy forum that requires very little work to set up. 

If your looking to host everything yourself, I recommend NFO_Servers. I had GREAT service for the 2 years we used them. Down time was minimal/Acceptable for any company, Performance wasn't that bad, Wasn't superb but far better then other hosts iv experienced in the past. 

(We'd still be with them but we got cheaper/almost free hosting from a online-friend)

For communities that are starting out Enjin can be pretty great - While other options can be cheaper it does offer a decent all in one for those running servers and communities. I use it for now, though may change in the future. I run some minecraft servers (now just private ones, closed the public ones) but it does offer some great tools, especially for those with limited web knowledge. Can get a bundle that has a teamspeak, your web/forums, as well as many modules (twitch, donation shops, support ticket systems etc) and if you know how and have some time you can really customize the look. (some of minecrafts largest servers use them)

the downsides being that you are tied to enjin users, they dont communicate too well with outages, and purchasing the hosting yourself with multiple companies or on a rented box will be cheaper.

• Like 1