Sign in to follow this  
Glycian

WU dedicated server hosting (VM question)

I really dont know, how modern engines work. For me is big complex of many functions, but in these days, y can use whole engine, which support most acceleratoins for current GPU and y can call functions from higher script. if want develop your own engine, write function from scratch, so good luck.

Edited by ftoz

Apparently one of the big issues on the WO servers was creature AI. So unless you want 25k "statue of dog"s you'll need a bit more beef than just a few kb for storing the creatures type and position.

From what i see in wurm, there is item limit per tile, so probably doent matter if there is flint or statue. From number of tiles and tile limit, can calculate max items memory use.

Edited by ftoz

Did ANYONE here understand what ftoz is trying to say here? Iv been sitting here for a couple minutes now re-reading this, And i still can't get it. Need translation. 

From what i understood, Rolf will sell compiled server code with api to WU client, through which can be set number of animals, map size and others. So its useless for further mods, if has no source code. Cant modify aminals move, cant modify fights, cant update nothing.

Edited by ftoz

From what i understood, Rolf will sell compiled server code with api, through which can be set number of animals, map size and others. So its useless for further mods, if has no source code. Cant modify aminals move, cant modify fights, cant update nothing.

well ... its realy stupid then ... no offence rolf but , we wanna mod our own servers .

Full modding will be possible.

ok, and will be also commented? And still dont understand why WU? Why simple sell WO code? For what API?

Edited by ftoz

because WO is the mmo, they want to keep WO going as its thriving atm, WU is ment for modders and those that wish to make the game the way they wish to play it.  Youll be able to mod alot more then ya think, Youll simply be missing elements from WO that lets WO work,,  Whole point of WU is reaching out to all crowds and allowing them to customize wurm to there liking to get them interested into wurm  so that they may eventually play wurm online or even if they dont, they can still spread the word about the game around, and player advertising is a great way to do it. and from seeing warlanders posts,  suppose to be as easy as a minecraft mod to mod WU, thus should see a crap ton of mods in the first month alone

yee, but can also start mod WO code if sell server code with, dont see any difference. It looks like commercial sell for me, WO still go and earn some money and WU earn some more.

Edited by ftoz

Because it's their product. Their property. Code Club could have kept Wurm just an MMO as many other companies choose to do. Sony never gave out EQ servers - it took years of people reverse-engineering that, and even then it was a bit of a pain the last time I tried hosting one.

So we have WU.

As for memory and such, I think ftoz is trying to say that you don't need as much as you think because the server isn't rendering anything. True, models and textures DO take up a lot of RAM, but so does the sheer amount of data involved in a massive world. Even if it's not all kept in RAM and it's offloaded onto swap, there's still the potential for a ton of RAM usage. Creature count is just a small factor.

Edit:

Personally, I'm going to wait before I do any sort of dedicated server. Rolf did not say that Linux is never going to happen, just that they didn't have the resources to put towards it. We have many wonderful people in this community, and I'm fairly sure that problem will find a solution before long.

This is new, and really unprecedented. Sure, Minecraft, ARK, LiF, and others all have personal servers, but tell me the last active and long-running MMO that decided to launch a standalone, single-player/private server edition? The answer is none that I can think of. Even with the EQ emulated servers, those were built by the community (and against the wishes of Sony). We really have no basis for comparison to judge how things are going to go for either WU or WO.

Edited by Keenan
  • Like 1

I'm running:

• Intel Xeon 1270v3 @ 3.5 GHz
  • 32 GB Ram
  • SSD
  • 1Gbps connection
  • Ubuntu

Unfortunately I'm doing everything via SSH and I don't feel comfortable jacking around with the network configuration that I had to setup through the data center in order to get the VM to work.  I guess I'll just wait for the Linux version to come out to play.  

Because it's their product. Their property. Code Club could have kept Wurm just an MMO as many other companies choose to do. Sony never gave out EQ servers - it took years of people reverse-engineering that, and even then it was a bit of a pain the last time I tried hosting one.

So we have WU.

As for memory and such, I think ftoz is trying to say that you don't need as much as you think because the server isn't rendering anything. True, models and textures DO take up a lot of RAM, but so does the sheer amount of data involved in a massive world. Even if it's not all kept in RAM and it's offloaded onto swap, there's still the potential for a ton of RAM usage. Creature count is just a small factor.

Edit:

Personally, I'm going to wait before I do any sort of dedicated server. Rolf did not say that Linux is never going to happen, just that they didn't have the resources to put towards it. We have many wonderful people in this community, and I'm fairly sure that problem will find a solution before long.

This is new, and really unprecedented. Sure, Minecraft, ARK, LiF, and others all have personal servers, but tell me the last active and long-running MMO that decided to launch a standalone, single-player/private server edition? The answer is none that I can think of. Even with the EQ emulated servers, those were built by the community (and against the wishes of Sony). We really have no basis for comparison to judge how things are going to go for either WU or WO.

Uhm, You answered your own question here.... LiF

Uhm, You answered your own question here.... LiF

LiF is far from being a massively multiplayer game,  they launched the "your own" version wich iirc support up to 60ish players, as a sneak peak of what the "future mmo" can be, but the actual mmo is in closed alpha state so unless you are a developer or a alpha tester the game from a practical player point of view doesn't exist yet.

LiF is far from being a massively multiplayer game,  they launched the "your own" version wich iirc support up to 60ish players, as a sneak peak of what the "future mmo" can be, but the actual mmo is in closed alpha state so unless you are a developer or a alpha tester the game from a practical player point of view doesn't exist yet.

Nonetheless, Its still a MMO.

Shroud of the Avatar by the developers of Ultima and Ultima Online is an MMO with selective play, meaning you can play only with your friends, or only with yourself, or anyone in the MMO.   They do not offer configurable servers though dev+ funding in theory gets access to game assets for making their own things in Unity Engine.

Wurm Unlimited clearly has to be inspired by ARK Survival Evolved biz model, because it is an MMO that supports private servers and singleplayer.   While not long running it certainly has seen more success in months than Wurm saw in a decade, and I doubt that success would have been as high if it was strictly an MMO.

Although if you are using the qualifier 'long running' MMO that converted gameplay to private then indeed I think Wurm must be the first since EQ and UO shards do not count as official - although Richard Garriot would often play on private UO shards.

Wurm routinely has double digit server attendance so I don't think you can get away with disqualifying LiF on that basis.   Even the most massive MMO's instances people into servers of double digit population, some more transparently than others.

Edited by yarnevk

25 minutes ago, Andy7356 said:

Forgive me for raising an old topic, but do you think it makes sense now to build a powerful PC for gaming server? Or is it better to use a cloud GPU service like AWS or https://puzl.ee/gpu-cloud?

Don't use aws with wurm, the last guys who tried that failed miserably. You also don't need a gpu for running a wu server. You need ram, cpu and a lot iops

Edited by Sklo:D