Sign in to follow this  
Glycian

WU dedicated server hosting (VM question)

I colocate a Linux (Ubuntu) dedicated server that I have other steam game servers set up on.  The extent of my current knowledge with Linux is just how to install and run these steam servers (just the basics).  As I understand, the WU client must run on Windows, and I'm assuming the server must be hosted on Windows as well.  To prepare for the WU release, I'd like to set up my system to be able to host ahead of time.  I have a couple questions that would be nice to have answered with the intent to just point me in the right direction, nothing too technical, I can figure out the details. Keep in mind that I will be doing everything via SSH.

1.  Which would be the easiest and/or optimum way to run windows on my system?  Dual boot, VM, something else?  Any particular package that anyone recommends?

2.  Which type of Windows will need to be used?  Windows server or can, for example, Win7 be run through VM and be accessed via SSH?  I see that windows servers can be trialed for 6 months (hopefully enough time for WU Linux servers to be developed).

3.  Are there any key points that I'm missing to do this?  Other advice?

Thank you!

-Gly

Why would either client or server be Windows-only? The client is cross platform now and I thought the server was on Linux?

I'd just do a VM. KVM supports it. The server client should run fine from a hypervisor hosted Win server.  I would not be surprised if Code Club was running all our servers that way now.

Why would either client or server be Windows-only? The client is cross platform now and I thought the server was on Linux?

Because Rolf said that in the FAQ.

Will there be mac/linux versions?

We have no resources for releasing Linux/OSX versions on Steam right now but we want to. It depends on the interest for the Windows version.

But It still uses Java, and Java works for linux, no idea about OS x

The Steam client uses native libraries so we can only support Windows initially.

If the server uses the same libraries in any way to see if the connecting user is a valid steam user, it would be windows only too.

Anyone after a dedicated for WU Online.net (one of the biggest dedicated server providers in Europe) has some good special offer servers that are semi-perfect:

https://www.online.net/en/dedicated-server/dedibox-limited-edition

https://console.online.net/en/order/server_limited

Intel Xeon E3 1230v3

32 GB

2 x 120 GB SSD

1Gbps/sec

29.99 € per Month

Note Online.net does have DDOS protection but its limited, so this would only be good as a server for people you trust.

edit: Should say also remember 'cost' of the windows license on top, as the WU Server only works on Windows. (Can use the trial license for 6 months)

Edited by Happiness

Might have to get multiple servers onto a dedicated box and split the costs just to make this affordable. Once we know more about the requirements I'll look into how feasible this is.

Would still strongly prefer being able to host on Linux though, as I imagine you could probably squeeze in a few more virtual servers without the Windows overhead.

EDIT: So here is some info from an old thread about migrating the Wild server:

• 2 quad core Intel Xeon CPUs at 2.33 GHz (Model 23 Stepping 6)
  • 16 GB RAM
  • 3 15k SAS disks on a Dell PERC 6 RAID controller
  • 64bit Debian Linux (2.6.30 kernel)

Source: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/17928-wild-server-successfully-moved/#entry231143

I'm not very familiar with the performance of modern servers against this hardware so I can't give a good cost breakdown. I would have to test a fully loaded Wurm server and see what kind of requirements it has.

Edited by FlakAttack

Nobody can say how many people will play on the server. There is no measurement yet to compare with. Maybe the server only has 20 people playing at peak times, who knows, you can't say if your server will have 200 people playing.

So I will also start with that specs for about 8.5E per month because I don't know what I need. My provider gives me the possibility of an Anytime-Upgrade up to 64GB DDR4 with 24 cores. Renting a super duper server would be nonsense atm.

Intel®Xeon® E5-26xxV3 (2 Cores with 2.5GHz)
6GB DDR4 RAM
SSD
1 Gbit internet connection

Then I will see how it runs and how many people are on the server and upgrade if needed.

Edited by Sklo:D

There are a lot of factors.  Less npc creatures and you will be able to support more players etc.  How big is the item database on the server will eat more memory etc.  It is not a simple answer.

What I wanted to say is that the wild (chaos) server had 4GB RAM for many years, at a time where wild (chaos) wasn't dead. So it is likely that 6-8GB for the WU servers are enough if you have normal creature amounts etc...

what is "normal creature amount" ? supose to be 25k animals on 2000x2000 server no ? and it will probably super lag ..

what is "normal creature amount" ? supose to be 25k animals on 2000x2000 server no ? and it will probably super lag ..

no, for server need small ram, fast cpu and great network bandwidth. Y can imagine, that on server is dog represented by number 1, cow 2, bull 3.Client read those numbers and render it. Probably most memory consume map size. If chaos run on 4GB, so map like cele should be able to run on 1GB ram, but also depend on other things like numbes of items, numbers of animals, which can be probably set in WU. All animation is on our disk now. Extremly gragphic lag is cause by CPU rendering engine, which is used in WO client and will be also in WU

Edited by ftoz

no, for server need small ram, fast cpu and great network bandwidth. No item need much memory. All animation is on our disk now. Extremly gragphic lag is cause by CPU rendering engine, which is use in WO and will be also in WU

Doesn't make sense as a Server doesn't cause the rendering but the client.

Needs memory cause 20000 mobs will be changing location every few seconds

mob on server can by representate as number and position basicly, so can said 1 mob= 1byte for type, 2 bytes for position=3 bytes, so 20000 mobs can consume couple of kilobytes

a lot more then that since moving required a recursive program on each mob and each mobs age, dies , and give birth

gonna test this once WU goes live, gonna try it on my pc, hosting one, i got 8 gigs of ram and a 6 core cpu. gonna try for 25k animals  and  see how much crap i can toss at it before it freezes everything ^^

Doesn't make sense as a Server doesn't cause the rendering but the client.

Needs memory cause 20000 mobs will be changing location every few seconds

Try to learn, how mmo games works, server part is only heap of number client read it and render to graphic. Now u have all client, all animations on your disk, can see all dragon animations fly now. Game is little outdated and further improve means rewrite all client. Most today games are base on well know engine(unity3d, unreal3, unreal4). Those are commercial, but there are aslo many opensource ones. Y get engine  and can buy some add ons. Its basicly engine with own scripting language for writting games. Dev know it well, so better than rewrite all game is sell WU out. Do ppl as y want. But why not sell WO? Current games cant run with cheat engines. So if y think seriously with gaming, must everytime fight with players cheating, if dont want finish game develop before it start. Rolf naturaly hold that algos and do cut version called WU. He knows, what is important and can easy start another game with.

Edited by ftoz

gonna test this once WU goes live, gonna try it on my pc, hosting one, i got 8 gigs of ram and a 6 core cpu. gonna try for 25k animals  and  see how much crap i can toss at it before it freezes everything ^^

I think, that home pc should be ok, for small number of ppl, so test it. WU is done for it.

Edited by ftoz

id be interested in your results. ive not long updated my gaming PC (16GB DDR4, 6 core (12 thread) CPU, GTX 970) but i have many parts left over from the build (quad core CPU and 16GB DDR3 and GTX 660 (not that gfx would matter)) and im thinking i may convert it to a server PC rather than buying new parts. id just buy a SSD to store it better and set 3.5' HDDs in raid for backups. average 62MB/s download, 2.5MB/s upload speeds

Try to learn, how mmo games works, server part is only heap of number client read it and render to graphic. Now u have all client, all animations on your disk, can see all dragon animations fly now. Game is little outdated and further improve means rewrite all client. Most today games are base on well know engine(unity3d, unreal3, unreal4). Those are commercial, but there are aslo many opensource ones. Y get engine  and can buy some add ons. Its basicly engine with own scripting language for writting games. Dev know it well, so better than rewrite all game is sell WU out. Do ppl as y want. But why not sell WO? Current games cant run with cheat engines. So if y think seriously with gaming, must everytime fight with players cheating, if dont want finish game develop before it start. Rolf naturaly hold that algos and do cut version called WU. He knows, what is important and can easy start another game with.

Did ANYONE here understand what ftoz is trying to say here? Iv been sitting here for a couple minutes now re-reading this, And i still can't get it. Need translation. 

• Like 1

id be interested in your results. ive not long updated my gaming PC (16GB DDR4, 6 core (12 thread) CPU, GTX 970) but i have many parts left over from the build (quad core CPU and 16GB DDR3 and GTX 660 (not that gfx would matter)) and im thinking i may convert it to a server PC rather than buying new parts. id just buy a SSD to store it better and set 3.5' HDDs in raid for backups. average 62MB/s download, 2.5MB/s upload speeds

Wurm is not interesting in any gpu. Try to see client dev posts and read carefully. He is talking about CPU rendering. What does it mean for player? Can buy any power GPU, but it sleep, code simply doesnt use it. So do as y want, but get big dissapoint by using powefull hw. 

Edited by ftoz

Wurm client rendering is OpenGL (GPU) based, while server don't need rendering at all.

Wurm is not interesting in any gpu. Try to see client dev posts and read carefully. He is talking about CPU rendering. What does it mean for player? Can buy any power GPU, but it sleep, code simply doesnt use it. So do as y want, but get big dissapoint by using powefull hw. 

im aware :)

Wurm client rendering is OpenGL (GPU) based, while server don't need rendering at all.

and how many cores it use? simply my gpu is cold if touch on heat pipe under running 3 clients

Edited by ftoz

Apparently one of the big issues on the WO servers was creature AI. So unless you want 25k "statue of dog"s you'll need a bit more beef than just a few kb for storing the creatures type and position.