Sign in to follow this  
Goblinking

Message for CodeClub (Please read)

**This discussion isn't going to contain hate or distasteful opinions (on my part) for Wurm Unlimited OR Wurm Online, because I am going to include both games in this topic. Skip to the second paragraph if you are not interested in a prologue**

My opinions of Wurm Unlimited aren't relevant in this discussion, but it is an outlook on what it can do for us if we do it right. I look forward to this game's separate release, as I have been for quite some time because it's been a dream of mine to experience this game solo for once. However, I know a good amount of current Wurm players are not interested for WU's release AT ALL, which I can respect the opinions and concerns of others. I have looked into both sides of the discussion, what it will do, how it will affect the current community, etc. I am not here to talk about that though, I'm here on the fact that (hopefully) the developers at CodeClub will look into what I'm saying.

The real issue is how the game is being displayed

Whether its Wurm Online, or Wurm Unlimited (which allows you to play alone), it's still the same game. Is there a problem with this? No, I think it's neat that you give us opportunity. But the real issue is, you need to consider a few things if you're going to put these games out and expect people to pick them. I'm not claiming to be educated on marketing, or have a degree to any standard on it, but there is one thing that makes a difference. 

Who are you trying to sell the game to? A younger audience? Middle aged? Older? Or everyone in between.

I was very young when I started playing Wurm Online (14). Would I have ever discovered it without help? No. It wasn't on any big-name forums or gaming hubs (SUCH AS STEAM) to be looked at. How did I discover it? My friends got me into it. And I'm here, right now, looking at this newest trailer for Wurm Unlimited thinking to myself "Who would want to play that"? Honestly, it kills me inside to say it but It's a reality to me. I LOVE this game, but when I first looked at the trailer on steam, and the content they were displaying, I could see why and how it could become a washout in an instant. It has no buzz word or hook to really grab attention. There's nothing to set it apart from the other massive amount of sandbox genre games out there. If the players actually downloaded the game and tried it, yeah I'm sure they'd like it. But when I(who has been using Steam for 7 years and Wurm for 5) REALLY think about it, nobody is going to want to play a game that looks like any other sandbox game out there at this point. Maybe back in 2006, and 2007, Wurm could have been the greatest thing to happen to sandbox. But in 2015, going on 2016, it's a whole new age group that you guys are dealing with. You have an unfathomable amount of competition now. Regardless if it was WU or WO, putting your game on steam is a step in the right direction, but you need to do some serious overhauling on your marketing if you want to grab the common youngster's attention today.

Please, no hate messages., I'm just trying to express how people from my age group (teens) would look at this game. Thank you, and bless the community we have.

Edit: If someone can make a general consensus on how more seasoned older players feel, it could really benefit this statement. Thanks

Edited by Goblinking

They can try the game for a bit to see how it is and then get their money back if they don't like it. I think it was Rolf, maybe someone else, who said many open the game, stick around a few minutes, and then vanish. Personally I don't see how spending money for WURM Unlimited and then vanishing is going to be any different. What this will do is provide exposure. 

I'm kinda indifferent towards the trailer. Could lose the mining and forge scenes. They add nothing. Maybe there should be two or three trailers, each showing some different aspects of WURM. That exposure can help tremendously. Show people actually transforming the terrain or building a ship, not just building a house like you can in so many other of these games. Variety is a good thing.

Partial nudity always helps. Skimpy dressed big boobed Amazon style warriors. :lol:  :lol:  

Have to see how it all works out. 

Oh, and one thing I don't understand about the trailer. You are advertising a single player game. Yet you show a game that is obviously multi player. Either advertise what you are selling or sell what you are advertising. 

Edited by Clatius

I played Everquest 1 for 14 years then everquest 2 came out. Same game better graphics new classes higher level capps better raid zones 2 million more quests the size of earth and bigger in land scale etc and more lf this and that so I played EQ2 for 7 years I atill played everquest 1, then sold ny eq1 account for 800euro. Kept playing EQ2 as a power leceler and aold platinum still have my accounts.

I craft now on EQ2. Only.

I also play Age of conan where I hold the 2nd highest dps in the game on my necromancer. I know only craft since the raids are 5 to 8 hours long and require my full attention.

I know only craft and power level or sell gold in this game.

I run wurm online and play it full time, as I craft in both EQ2 and Age of Conan. Even Dungeons and Dragons Unlimited I played for 7 years. I love complex crafting games.

WU is going to be once you play it and enjoy the benifits of setting your skills etc you may want to try the offical Online Public Servers once you realize you cant do what your able to do on WU you will quit because everyone enjoys an easy game once they try it.

Leta say you go to work for 8 hours abd get paid the a certian ammount.

You would rather work for 1 hour abd get paid double right?

Or would you ratger work the full 8 hour and call it ( oh I like a challenge ) um no dont fool your self.

WU = God mode ( only screen shots to share your work)

Wo = original game ( lots of people to praise your work) community's etc.

My gaming history is way too long... so i skip it. It's irrelevant.

Steam is full of alpha-sandbox-survival games which promises everything but delivers nothing. Wurm is something different. It's complete game, full of content and amazing crafting system. You all know that. 

I'm old WO player and i'm looking forward to WU. I can't wait!

• Like 8

Rolf always seems to want to make new unecessary things to make extra money all the while ignoring the one thing that pays his bills.

...  I'm here on the fact that (hopefully) the developers at CodeClub will look into what I'm saying.

The real issue is how the game is being displayed ... Please, no hate messages., I'm just trying to express how people from my age group (teens) would look at this game. Thank you, and bless the community we have.

With all my apologies but you didn't quite make it clear what your message is and why the developers and artists at Code Club should read it. From your post it almost sounds like all what you want is a new trailer with more sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

• Wurm does not look like your standard fantasy game. That's not news, that's intended, the devs know that since years.

Wurm is not trying to address a certain age group. That's no news either, that's intended, the devs know that since years.

The "common youngster" as you call it is not Wurm's target group.

And yes, Wurm is not trying to capture their attention by displaying a lot of skin on female characters. That's nothing new as well. :)

And that's fine!

A word of advise if I may: never assume that what you and your band of friends like is what all or even most people in that same age group like. Luckily people are not all the same and they like a lot of different things.

• Like 3

How did Apple become king?  They put their products in the hands of younger audiences.  They marketed to younger audiences.  Designed for them.  It doesn't mean older people won't or don't like Apple products, but if you can win people over at an early age, you form a much stronger bond.  I remember my earliest games and how nothing compares today.  It is like your first love - they always hold something special, even after you are married, you still think of that first love.

My son is a hard core gamer now and surpasses me in just about every way.  I introduced him to wurm and he bailed after 3 days.  He would still rather play Age of Empires or Worms Armageddon with me, because he grew up on those.

Gaming today is geared towards the 30 min or less attention span.  If you can't get on, get something accomplished and back off in 30 min, you lose a lot of players on day one.  WU actually makes it possible.  You boot the server & time starts.  get into the middle of a project, do a few min of building or whatever, then suddenly your mom says to put it away and do your homework.  No sweat.  Shut down the server. Nothing lost.

WO has frustrated my wife at times, because I'll be like "just hang on dear, I'm sailing to this boss hunt and it will be another 8 hours before we are done".  This reason alone is why I quit doing boss hunts.  RL is far more important than finding a valrei item.

WU will finally let me start playing Wurm again - in small doses, where nothing is lost and everything is secure, when I go offline :)

• Like 3

In any case, its a bad strategic choice to release the trailer before the new rendering system is out. Hopefully they can change the trailer a few days before release day though :)

I'm one of those people who played WO on and off a couple of times, WU is exactly what I have been looking for. If I didn't already try WO though, I believe I might've been turned away by the loads of survival failures that are on steam.

• Like 1

That clip was what made me stay more than half an hour in Wurm this time.

Steam is full of alpha-sandbox-survival games which promises everything but delivers nothing. Wurm is something different. It's complete game, full of content and amazing crafting system. You all know that. 

I agree with you on Wurm being "Something different", but it's getting the general public to realize this is where the whole battle takes place.

Rolf can't advertise it as such on account of potential lawsuits but we can in the reviews...

"The grandfather of minecraft, on steroids, drinking redbull, and with a taste for blood."  (give or take)

• Like 3

A word of advise if I may: never assume that what you and your band of friends like is what all or even most people in that same age group like. Luckily people are not all the same and they like a lot of different things.

Please look into a mirror while saying that.

But the problem is that yes "WE" all know that. But this topic is about ways to let all those other people on steam know that. And sadly i must agree that the trailer that is there right now does not cut it. It not only looks like it was thrown together in 5 minutes but it doesn't even show  a tenth of what can be done...

With all my apologies but you didn't quite make it clear what your message is and why the developers and artists at Code Club should read it. From your post it almost sounds like all what you want is a new trailer with more sex, drugs and rock'n'roll.

• Wurm does not look like your standard fantasy game. That's not news, that's intended, the devs know that since years.

The "common youngster" as you call it is not Wurm's target group.

Wurm is not trying to address a certain age group. That's no news either, that's intended, the devs know that since years.

And yes, Wurm is not trying to capture their attention by displaying a lot of skin on female characters. That's nothing new as well. :)

And that's fine!

He never asked for a new trailer with more "sex,drugs and rock n' roll". Where did you even get that? Nor did he ask for sexxy skin showing female's. You're whole post is nothing but putting words in the OP's mouth..

Your right that is not new to us. It would be news to the millions of other people on Steam that have never even heard of Wurm...

• The "common youngster" as you call it is not Wurm's target group.

• Wurm is not trying to address a certain age group. That's no news either, that's intended, the devs know that since years.

These two right here contradict eachother. You're right that it isnt trying to address a certain group. It is trying to address them all. Will it appeal more to the older audience? probably, doesn't mean you don't try to get the younger folks in too.

• And yes, Wurm is not trying to capture their attention by displaying a lot of skin on female characters. That's nothing new as well.  :)

No one said not asked that this be done. You just threw that one to incite response...which worked...see you used buzz words and hooks to get attention. You did why can't the trailer lol.

The point isn't what audience are you going after, the point is what audience are you NOT going after because the answer to that should be none. And going with the trailer they have up right now not many people are going to give it a second glance. That trailer is both boring and very bland. As i said looks like ti took a whole 5-10 minutes to throw together and load up. The trailer made by a player that Warlander posted is hundreds of times over more engaging, and give you a sense of the massive scope of Wurm, It grabs you and says here come on an adventure with me. And as you see all the while does this while being totally clean of sex, drugs, rock n roll, and full frontal nudity.... :)

In my opinion unofficial trailer made some time ago by (AFAIK) Factional Night would really fit on Steam - this is a kind of trailer which in my opinion really motivates people to try the game. :)

Edit: this one

That trailer is so much better than the steam version

• Like 2

Seriously. I always find it funny when the company that makes the game can't be bothered to make a good trailer of the game that pays their paycheck, But the players that are paying those paychecks can make one as engaging and inclusive as that one. 

Honestly i would have immediately tried to buy the rights to that video from the owner as it would have imo been hundreds of times over a greater tool of advertising then that dull thing they have on steam right now.

That trailer was the best wurm trailer ever made so far. Also iirc was turned into/used as the official trailer for a short period, then for some reason it was left aside and a really bland one was used until today.

Idk why they decided to drop Brian one, maybe some because there is some legal issues, but honestly i think that will be the perfect trailer for steam launch, and much better than the current one in my opinion.

Maybe they can use both?

Edited by KunAlt

In my opinion unofficial trailer made some time ago by (AFAIK) Factional Night would really fit on Steam - this is a kind of trailer which in my opinion really motivates people to try the game. :)

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxSN5zRarI

I just watched and it gave me goose bumps.  I swear, I almost launched the game just now and I'm in the middle of work meetings.

i think everyone should just repost the video link in the comment section of the steam store page. if they won't officially use it...we will unofficially take it over lol

The only bad part of that clip is that some things look different now, like the pigs for example.

On 9/28/2015 at 11:46 AM, Warlander said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cxSN5zRarI

It was a fateful night 2 years ago. We'd just gotten a new member into our guild in GW2 and I was chatting to the guy to make him feel welcome. We soon discovered we shared a love for Ultima Online and he said to me: "Well you know, if you love UO, you'd love the game I just can't break free of" "What's that?" I asked. And he told me about Wurm Online and linked me Brian's trailer. That trailer was what convinced me to give it a go and ever since that night I've been playing pretty much every single day. Love the music Brian chose for this video as well, it really inspires, together with the texts describing all the things you can do and how the world changes. Whenever I advertise Wurm to a friend, it's this video that I use. :)

Could always consider a steam demo more or less like WO free to play. a skill cap and various other things. Just to get people to test the waters if there bored and looking for a new game but are being careful where they sink there allowance they would like the demo opportunity.

Actually that might be a bad idea. Would be easy to Mod the demo to be full.

Edited by Crustyfoot