Sign in to follow this  
Valion

Log Houses

Just as the subject says, A log wall, so you could make a true log cabin. wouldn't even have to be new "openings". Just have the walls look like logs instead

• Like 2

Has been suggested many times... Still a fantastic suggestion.

+1 many times over, please and thank you.

+1. Have thought of that myself. Make it 10 logs per wall, and higher carpenting skills.

The corners will be tricky, the simples way is something like this:

cabin-20clip-20art-LOG-CABIN.gif

For a slightly more realistic view, let log edges protrude beyond the surface of the crossing wall:

bathroom-wood-house-clipart-with-twitter

The above is not possible physically, so making wall edges different (with rotatable walls) can get us this look:

230462-10x12-pioneer-log-cabin.jpg?14315

And finally, the classic log cabin look with staggered logs would be nice, but seems only possible with separate N-S and E-W walls:

log-cabin1.jpg

Edited by Jarisleif

bathroom-wood-house-clipart-with-twitter

The above is not possible physically, so making wall edges different (with rotatable walls) can get us this look:

not physically possible? what are you talking about? it is most common way how to connect log walls together :D

there are (hidden) carved troughs, which helps keep walls together ...

008-1-news-foreal.jpg008-2-news-foreal.jpg

Edited by Zakerak
  • Like 1

+1
somewhat puzzling that they haven't been introduced before other building types.

+1. I love log cabins. I stay in them when i visit scotland.

not physically possible? what are you talking about? it is most common way how to connect log walls together :D

there are (hidden) carved troughs, which helps keep walls together ...

Look again. In your picture of real log cabin, each log is half-width *above* the log that it crosses. In my picture of CGI cabin, each log is same height with the crossing log, as if one log goes *through* the other.

I thought some more about corners or joints of log walls. They can use vertical posts:

http://www.summitlog.com/custom_log_cabin.jpg

It is a tad ugly, but should be the easiest to code b/c every corner looks exactly the same, just as with current stone walls.

or they can make all logs vertical:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8a/5a/a6/8a5aa6d551214a4f2df086b2a45fd2ec.jpg

It is probably a modern design, but again, easy to code b/c every corner is the same.

Look again. In your picture of real log cabin, each log is half-width *above* the log that it crosses. In my picture of CGI cabin, each log is same height with the crossing log, as if one log goes *through* the other.

even in this case it is possible, it just needs deeper troughs, nearly to half of log ... in bottom side in logs of first wall and top side in connected wall ...

problem is with structural integrity between layers of logs, which is done mostly by longitudinal grooves in bottom or top sides of logs and studs