Sign in to follow this  
YellzBellz

What is Hot Food Cooking good for?

Hello All!

Sorry for the ignorance on this but this has bothered me for some time.

I am currently at level 12 HFC. I cooked a Brook Trout fish (QL 35, weight 2.5) and a pumpkin (QL 20, weight 1.0) in a frying pan that when examined said it would create a Meal with difficulty of 30. After cooking it, the QL was around 24 and the weight was around 2.4.

After eating the meal, it boosted my Nutrition from 46% to 62% and my food level from 40% to 99% after consuming only 0.70 of the food amount.

My question is, if I can do this with a HFC of 12, why would I need to level my cooking?

I always wondered how we were able to cook higher difficulty meals with such low skills. It doesn't make sense. I would think that if the meal is a difficulty of 30 I would need a level of 30 or higher to cook it.

I know I must be missing something and again forgive my ignorance.

Thanks for any input or help!

Higher quality meals. That will result in less weight consumed, food bar filled up faster, and even higher nutrition for the skillgain bonus.

You also get a lot of stats, particularly soul depth (helps with casting) if you cook stews, and you get good mind logic (directly affects how many actions you can queue) from cooking pretty much anything too.

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 1

High QL meal is consumed much slower, and it can survive a week or more stored in a forge.

Edited by Cista

The skill gain is relative to the difficulty levels in principle. You should aim to cook something within a difficulty of 10 range from your skill for best effect, within 5 for maximum. This is not to say you get nothing for cooking "outside your range"

For the rest Propheteer explained it, although if you want a definitive guide to this topic this is as close as I have found..

http://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Cooking_With_Mamadarkness

Mostly the people filling 1000s of pans to grind this are doing it for the gains a priest can achieve. However - given that good nutrition can give a skill gain bonus of up to 5% anyone can benefit from eating as good food as they can get. AFAIK the best food source in game is still meals.....and you will really notice the difference if you can eat 90+ meals the whole time.....especially in between sacking the occasional rare dirt/ore/whatever which puts you at max.

Plus.....if you cook a bunch of pans at once and know what you are doing.....it's just so nice to see your skill jump by so much.....it's probably the easiest skill to do in the game.

Edited by Heboric

Wow, thank you all for the input! I really appreciate the information and help.

I can see the benefit of skilling up in cooking and understand the purpose. It still seems wrong that a person can cook high difficulty meals without the skill though.

Thank you guys for the help on there!!

Found this information on the Wiki:

Your nutrition level affects how soon you will become hungry, or the speed at which your food bar drops.

• High nutrition will give you a maximum skill gain bonus of 5%, while low nutrition gives you a maximum skill gain penalty of 5%. Nutrition between 40 and 60 will not give any bonus or penalty.
    • At 60% nutrition you receive a 1% bonus to skill gain. You receive a 1% bonus every with every 10% increase in nutrition after that with a total of 5% skill gain at the maximum nutrition of 99%.

• Nutrition also has a currently unknown effect on wound healing time.

Before nutrition I didn't bother cooking at all, all I ate was raw meat and fish.

Thanks again for the replies.

Basically it is as I thought. Unless your using HFC to grind other skills up, there isn't too much benefit to getting past a certain point.

Personally I would like the HFC system better if you couldn't cook anything unless you had the proper skill for it. For a level 24 Difficulty Meal, you need a HFC of 24. The system is quite confusing for a simple minded person like myself, hehehehe.

I really appreciate the input, thank you!

High QL meal is consumed much slower, and it can survive a week or more stored in a forge.

As far as damage on meals goes, if eaten they will decrease your nutrition level percentage. So as soon as mine have any damage I won't reheat and eat them again. Into the trash or on the ground they go. For newbies with nothing else to eat I guess they would do though.

=Ayes=

As someone with high HFC, (99.85 on my priest) it does help lot, but not worth the time unless you also need the mind logic or SD.

I can easily put out 90 meals, and keep full nutrition on all of my characters. And the meals last a long time. (I don't waste time re heating them, no point for me)

Mainly it's just nice to have and a nice time saver.

What I normally do is cook 30-40 meals, throw in my magic chest (no decay). And I have food for a few weeks.

So if you want some nice convenience, it wouldn't hurt having 50-60, it's not hard to level, but it's not a huge game changer. Just nice to have to worry less, and that's really it. (Besides the nice mind logic and Soul depth )

Hope that helps ^_^