Hopefully with time code club and steam can arrange something to work with linux...after all the steam OS is based on linux.

Hopefully with time code club and steam can arrange something to work with linux...after all the steam OS is based on linux.

I think Rolf take big holiday after wurm harasment

Edited by ftoz

Rolf, if y generate 50 fantastic huge axes, y will earn more

Ok rolf so i have a few questions for you. You say the servers for the online version will stay up until they are virtually dead. Lets calm everyone fears including mine and describe what virtually dead is in your book? We talking less then 40 players, less then 30 players less then 20 players what is virtually dead mean to you? No players? You said for a long time what is considered a long time to you? Days, Weeks, months, years? Everyone has a valued stake and an invested interest in the online version and the servers in which they play on so describe to everyone what you mean by your statement please.

Also sense your being openly honest with the community, please tell us all how long wurm unlimited been in the works. Was it before the release of bridges? Before the release of Xanadu? Before the raise in prices for the online version? How long have you and your team been in development of the newer version? Should be no harm in letting everyone know.

Last question, now that you released the Steam version will you come back to the online version and fix the bugs, all the bugs and repair the in game economy? The ingame economy was already hurting before your big announcement of Wurm Unlimited but now it is for sure hurting far worse so what plans if any is there to fix the online ingame economy?

Edited by Yamuliss

Dont know, why y delete some posts. Its almost same if someone generate money though game or simply direct. In these days is normal.

Q: How about PMK on privatized servers? Will they happen and if so, how? Implementing own banners and new kingdoms could be something?

Excellet. One more thing please.. Steam usually adjust price based on region.. would WU also adjust price? Because it could means I can get it more 'on my pocket range' if the steam version will be cheaper than current 20% pre-release.

What handicapped accessible options if any are included?:I am a Quadriplegic that uses SmartNav to control the mouse and I have had issues with the looking around on the normal client.

Edited by Desereck
  • Like 1

We need more, and extensive information on how hosting private servers will work.

I am considering buying a dedicated server for this, but will that even work, there is so much secrecy around it I don't want to shell out the mass money that is going to cost me, and it not even host it...

If i host the server myself I would not be able to run it continually, how would time progression work in this situation? (E.g. crops, seasons, pregnancies, animals aging)

• Some of those variables will be able to be changed at release, with some maybe added later. Time is a bit funky in Wurm. Some things is managed by server uptime, such as field and tree growth. Other things are governed by real time. You can set field growth time though. As demand for certain settings become clear after release we will add them.

I found this answer to be rather vague, and frankly I find that worrisome.  I get the impression that you haven't really thought through what will be a critical issue for making this a single-player offline experience.  I can see a lot of people buying WU for either single-player use, or for use by a small group without the desire to buy, rent, or run a dedicated server.  However, if the time mechanics are not in place to support this sort of game play, it will lead to a great deal of frustration and potentially a lot of bad exposure for the game.

If you're going to try to rework an MMO into a single-player/private server platform then you really need to address the key differences in how the game will work in the intended environment, instead of just porting over the MMO code and assuming it will all work out.

• Like 2

Its actually not that much of a problem though I agree that a nice feature should add time acceleration on reboot to catch uptime with real time (or not if you intended to take a vacation).   Since they provide adjustments for things like crop rate, if you usually play only 2x hours a day just change your crop rate to 12x and you can keep your same harvest schedule you had in WO.  Now you do have a complaint about them not fully thinking things completely thru as far as what variables to expose which will result in a mess at release,  but to that I say get used to it because these are Wurm devs, to be nice I will only say they...try.

Ark Survival Evolved is the same way in that single player is just solo multiplayer, you always have an option of using a spare machine to run a local server rather than bringing the server up at the same time as the client or get a free server service that you keep private (with one player lag should be OK)  

Edited by yarnevk

I don't know if this question has been asked (an apologies if it has) but can this game be multi-playered (i.e: 2 ppl) via LAN, not online, not on payed or free servers but on computer to computer LAN. I ask this as since my wife and I have started travelling on the road living the Gray Nomad life we are just scraping on gigs with our mobile broad band. Now if we lose our Broad band as we travel we want to at least have Wurms Unlimited as our fix till we find our next MBB town. But if Unlimited needs Online servers, we are up the creek. Can someone answer this question before we decide to buy.

when you open the client launcher it will list servers on the internet as well as the lan.  So you can plan a lan game but you probably need internet still to get the steam authentication to work.  So as long as you have 'some' connection you should be able to run it, then the bulk of the data will just be on your own lan not eating up your mobile bandwidth.

Its actually not that much of a problem though I agree that a nice feature should add time acceleration on reboot to catch uptime with real time (or not if you intended to take a vacation).   Since they provide adjustments for things like crop rate, if you usually play only 2x hours a day just change your crop rate to 12x and you can keep your same harvest schedule you had in WO.  Now you do have a complaint about them not fully thinking things completely thru as far as what variables to expose which will result in a mess at release,  but to that I say get used to it because these are Wurm devs, to be nice I will only say they...try.

Ark Survival Evolved is the same way in that single player is just solo multiplayer, you always have an option of using a spare machine to run a local server rather than bringing the server up at the same time as the client or get a free server service that you keep private (with one player lag should be OK)  

I can't say for certain as we don't know exactly what is controlled by this server speed, but I would expect there to be some detrimental effects to running the server at an extremely high speed (such as 24x) while actually playing.  Without other options, I think I'd prefer to start up the server, and then run it at something like 480x for 3 minutes to recover 24 hours of offline time, then return it to normal speed before starting up the client and connecting.

Will you shut down any existing servers?

• We won't be shutting down servers unless they are virtually dead for a long time. We will also look into ways to encourage people playing Wurm Unlimited to try out the Wurm Online hosted servers. We don't even see us shutting down deserted servers to be honest. They will still have value for the occasional explorer. We have to keep the possibility open though so we can't say that it will never happen.

Considering how you said fountain containers (which cost some people 50e a pop) were legacy items and would remain in the game, how can we trust that you will keep your word on the above?

Considering how you said fountain containers (which cost some people 50e a pop) were legacy items and would remain in the game, how can we trust that you will keep your word on the above?

Tonygreen is more trustworthy than Rolf.

re multiple accounts on one server supported as far as not runned at the same time? like having a priest for the first hour of playing, logging it off and logging in with a fighter?

re multiple accounts on one server supported as far as not runned at the same time? like having a priest for the first hour of playing, logging it off and logging in with a fighter?

you choose your name and connect to the server, so you can make as many names / characters as you like as long as you log off / back in like you want to do.

• Like 1

ONE TOON, yes one!

One toon per WU, one steam game per steam instance, one running steam instance per os. Technically you could setup a virtual machine on your computer (VMware), install steam on it, open a new steam account, and finally buy another version of WU. Although, I don't know why anyone would do this.

Bummer, being unable to run at least 2-3 characters at once is definitely a deal breaker for me.

Also, the requirement of having X installed on a linux server to run the server software, I don't even. My admin is never going to allow it to be installed on our headless machine, it's a policy, and I have to agree. That really should be addressed, server software in general rarely should need a GUI at all ;S

Edited by Ulviirala

Couple questions:

1. Will we be able to use our current account(s) for WU? Or do we have to make a new one?

2. How will say, getting enchanted tools work? Or will there be none?

3. Is it pvp/pve?

4. How much of the server creation is customization?

5. Will the deed ratio be present?

6. Will deeds be needed?

7. How will selling/mailing items talking in world chat work?

I think that's all the questions i have for now. Thanks

Couple questions:

1. Will we be able to use our current account(s) for WU? Or do we have to make a new one?

2. How will say, getting enchanted tools work? Or will there be none?

3. Is it pvp/pve?

4. How much of the server creation is customization?

5. Will the deed ratio be present?

6. Will deeds be needed?

7. How will selling/mailing items talking in world chat work?

I think that's all the questions i have for now. Thanks

Edited by JackBinimbul

1.  Must be a new character/account.  It's a completely separate system via steam.

2. dunno that one, someone else needs to chime in

3.  Either or, if you run your own server, you choose.  If you join one, pay attention to whether it is PVE or PVP

4.  A fair amount.  You can make your own maps with a generator found here on the forums and decide some things like spawn number, monster percentage, skill gains, etc.

5. No idea what you mean.  Are you talking about animal ratios on and off deed?

6. Depends on what you want to do.  As of now, I don't see a way to turn off decay off deeds.  So deeds are still 'needed' to keep decay at bay, but they are free to place with no upkeep.

7. Should all be exactly the same as WO.

This answers many of my unanswered questions thanks, as for number 5, i mean the animal ratio that causes that pesky disease, and miscarriage when you have too many animals on deed. But since a deed is free, i suppose you could potentially have as big a deed as you want...?

Yup.  You can have the deed as large as the allotment is.  I think 200x200?  You can make multiple deeds using alts as well.

I checked my token and it does show the deed ratio for animals, so it is in effect for Wurm Unlimited private servers.  There may be a way to alter this or turn it off in the future.  I'll drop a thread into the mod requests forum about it.