Sign in to follow this  
ownerpure5

? Combat Overhaul ?

Where is it gone? We've had that little wave of hype for a week or two talking about it, being excited but at the same time obnoxious. But now.. nobody talks about it.. So what happened? Did the dev team drop the idea that could potentially increase the amount of staying new players by a lot? Did they abandon the idea to go work on the quick money grab that is WU? Nearly october and we've had literally no news or information on that. Please do answer.

Edited by ownerpure5
  • Like 1

its over there /points

on a serious note, Im wondering when this is coming too. Just like bridges before I guess :P

• Like 3

Don't expect anything massive soon.

I'd say that the next 6 months at least would be dedicated to ironing out issues with WU.

optionally rolf could revert to pre-ff and itd be better than the one we have now

Edited by Propheteer
  • Like 2

Was it ever a real thing?

I've been asking for it for a while now and most of the community always reacts with "Wurm combat is great we don't need a overhaul"

most of the community always reacts with "Wurm combat is great we don't need a overhaul"

hahahahahaha. Yea. It's "great".

Who on earth did u speak to?

edit: keep in mind that if you suggested specific changes people might have disliked your suggestion and said they would prefer to keep the current system instead... that doesnt necassairly mean they think the system is great.

Edited by Zekezor
  • Like 1

As long as combat stays player  character skill based I wouldn't care to much for changes. I'd just hate to see the combat steer towards wow or other mmo games.

Edited by Maximillian
  • Like 1

As long as combat stays player skill based I wouldn't care to much for changes. I'd just hate to see the combat steer towards wow or other mmo games.

Hahaha what :D !?

Hahaha what :D !?

i think by "player skill based" he means "character skill based"

iow: numbers decide instead of actual performance of a player.

The most boring type of pvp that is borderline pve \o/

Edited by Zekezor

Wurm is a skill based game and always has been, changing that would ruin the game for many of the people who play it.

Edit: If you don't like that play style perhaps wurm isn't the right game for you?

Edited by Maximillian
  • Like 2

Overhaul how?

Mount and blade style or Morrowind hit-but-not-hit-infuriation style?

It'd probably be the biggest change wurm has ever done, bigger than bridges, so I'm not sure how/when it could get done. Animation, interface, controls etc

How do you propose it be overhauled (not technically, just design-wise)

Edited by Derp

Wurm is a skill based game and always has been, changing that would ruin the game for many of the people who play it.

Edit: If you don't like that play style perhaps wurm isn't the right game for you?

My sides hurt. Wow. Such skill requirements. I'm barely average at skill games like css so what's so hard about wurm that requires skill.

It's a common argument from defunct PvP game fans. Browse the graveyard of dead or dying Sandbox FFA-PvP games, and you'll see this argument.

Historically, PvP games don't change, because the very few PvP'ers who stuck around, don't like change. The entire reason they stuck around is because they, for some reason or another, find value in the current system. (Even if it means playing it by themselves.)

The ones who do like change, are always the first to be lured away by the shiny new Sandbox FFA-PvP game on the horizon, because Sandbox FFA-PvP games are notoriously stagnant, punishing and uncompromising. (For some weird reason, whenever people think of Sandbox games, they think FFA-PvP, which is why there are dozens of them coming out every year...)

This makes Maximillian right. Wurm's PvP is not right for us. This is why we get our fix in other, bigger, better PvP games. This is why threads like this exist, lamenting that very same fact...

As for me? I'll pop in to Fallen Earth every now and then to feed my MMORPG PvP desires.

Edited by Dairuka

Combat overhaul also would effect PvE so it isn't just a PVP thing

But they been talking about a overhaul for years, so I don't have high hopes

• Like 1

Well we got bridges promised before Christmas in 2006 iirc? So I mean you could probably expect a combat overhaul sometime before 2020 perhaps? 

• Like 1

Well we got bridges promised before Christmas in 2006 iirc? So I mean you could probably expect a combat overhaul sometime before 2020 perhaps?

Fortunately by then the Consumer models for Occulus Rift might be out, as well as the Devs kits for Steam's HTC Vive.

• Like 1

We had a fight fix around 2007, so maybe next year??

• Like 2

Interesting that they haven't talked about Combat in a while except for PVP changes

Combat improvements will take a large investment of time and planning, which will always be slow, as we need to ensure that we cover combat as a whole, and balance for both pvp and pve.

It hasn';t been forgotten and is still in the process (Remember, combat is important for WU too). We will let you know when we begin pushing it through testing though.

• Like 1

I am a PvE person, I can totally see the desire for a different type of combat.  That being said, I would still like the option to have the simplified style of 'auto fight' we have now to deal with the trolls, hounds, spiders, and other critters I encounter when driving my cart down the Road of Death near my village.  :lol:

• Like 1

A combat overhaul is definitely needed.  I tried PvP (epic) in wurm and just no.  I love PvP, i will try one final time in chaos (Epic sucked) as soon as i can decide who to join and assuming they will have me.  I have tried to find what makes it fun in wurm and so far it ranks among the not-so-good pvp...and i have been playing multiplayer pvp games around 20 years.

As it stands I pvp with my guild in ESO and we in alpha for a badass sandbox pvp that is a year away and we just joined another promising pvp beta that is released in a couple months. I was never able to get guild members to play wurm for long, the ones who tried quit amazingly quick and seeing it from that perspective changed how i viewed wurm forever.  We see random names pop up and never seen again or someone plays for a bit and logs out leaves a noobtastic mess and never returns.  But what i saw was 20+ (only the ones who actually told me they tried mostly to try to figure out why i liked it) people try it play for a bit and quit for probably the same 4-5 reasons.  We also figured out the only way we would like PvP is if we came in with 30-40, pushed through all the stuff that sucked, and worked toward dominating...but we like competition and 30-40 seems to be about all the players on the server and draining tokens and selling people's junk has never been a theme in the guild, then there were the stories about last time a large guild dominated and details of that did not help even if it had been an possible.

wurm is probably going to be my pve cabin in the woods away from the war zone from the looks of it.  

I'm curious what people want changed in the current system. Real time combat will never be a thing because of the technical limitations, and other games on the market do it better than Wurm could hope to.

Believe most people want the fights more interactive and interesting

Current system is also to difficult  towards younger players that haven't played PC games in the 80-90's, since most games went towards something like EQ or Elder Scrolls for their combat system look alike