Sign in to follow this  
Outlaw

Hiring more Devs?

Will Code Club be hiring more developers to help maintain and update both games?

I can see the workload placed on the developers increasing dramatically and updates are already fairly slow. To be expected from a small team, however those slow times could be doubled with a 2nd game to be looked after being released.

I guess my real question is, will any dev time be taken away from WO to help run WU?

I'm sure a lot of current dev time has been put aside to producing WU that could have been spent on WO. I think a lot of players pay their monthly fee in order to get updates to WO not just for access to play.

Or are there plans to expand the studio and hire more employees?

Edited by Outlaw

I'd imagine most of the development for WU & WO are both mutually beneficial to each other and WU will be bringing a beautiful crop of fresh monies to the project.

• Like 1

Once WU is out and launched I don't see it needing that much more development on its own other than a few modding tools (which translate into eventual mods than can be plucked and added to WO anyways) and maybe some UI's for the admins, which in coding terms should be relatively basic and technically should be hella useful for running WO anyways.

Rolf did say it's the same codebase, so keeping up the updates on WO would be the same as updating WU in mooooost instances.

Ideally, yes, more devs would pay off ASIDE from the modders.  To a point I believe that proper modding tools would be equivalent to a handful more devs as it is, that said.

All in all, treating them as separate codebases would not only be counterproductive in terms of dev time, but would eventually make both codesets incompatible so unless I read wrong, WO's evolution is what's gonna dictate WU's, not the other way around..... 

I don't know if any Developers will answer your question Outlaw but as always a response from them would be welcome.

About your question. To me it makes the most sense that profits from WU will be used to enhance and improve Wurm Online and those improvements will later be filtered into WU as appropriate. I still see the main focus being Wurm Online and WU will just be used to finance its further development, most likely because WU is just a one time payment in contrast to Wurm Online being a continual source of income.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Basically the only difference from what I understand is the server-side which WO uses Enterprise Technologies.

Doubt they would kill WO even if WU did well

What iv read and understood so far about the differences between WO & WU:

-WU Will be essentially the same game as we know so far.

-Code will be relatively the same, WO Code will be added to WU over time. WO Seems to be the main priority in terms of what gets updates.

-WU will be player run servers, So do with that what you will.

-WU Will NOT have an anti cheat, So players will not be able to find ways to bypass WO's anti cheat. (Which is pretty simple from what i hear since its only recognizes client repetition and acts accordingly)

-WU Will be mod-able. 

WU is basicly WO. All the core mechanics are the same. The only area where we will see additional dev time being spent on WU is in regards to modding. Things like an API or more configuration options (for example, skill gain rate).

I could be wrong but I've always got the feeling Rolf lets volunteer developers do what they want (assuming it doesn't conflict with his vision). So having a volunter work on the WU modding API isn't dev time take away from WO because its possible that the volunteer wouldn't help otherwise.

Edited by joedobo

WU is basicly WO. All the core mechanics are the same. The only area where we will see additional dev time being spent on WU is in regards to modding. Things like an API or more configuration options (for example, skill gain rate).

I could be wrong but I've always got the feeling Rolf lets volunteer developers do what they want (assuming it doesn't conflict with his vision). So having a volunter work on the WU modding API isn't dev time take away from WO because its possible that the volunteer wouldn't help otherwise.

I think that WU is useless part of WO. If want to sell it, sell current WO to another company, but feel, that some parts of server code are important and can build-on another game or sell it further.

Also dont know, which parts will be added to WU and which codeclub hold. it doesnt matter, if Rolf mean that cheat system will have some value. Globaly pyramide schemes end all time same. Top is fed up and leafs cry. I am so stupid that also come in.

I am so stupid, that always trust ppl who lost love, entuziasmus and want only earn on everything. Sadly i meet such ppl everywhere and confuse becomes usual.

Edited by ftoz

I am so stupid, that always trust ppl who lost love, entuziasmus and want only earn on everything. Sadly i meet such ppl everywhere and confuse becomes usual.

Kind of like every post you make.

They've already said whatever is made for WO will be added to WU. It's not a two game system. It's a one game system. Only difference between them is one online, one not. They also said any mods done to WU that they deem WO worthy will be added to WO. It's not really two different games so there are not two development paths.

Edited by Clatius

It's Happening no matter how much  people cry so these people crying need to get over it. If they want to make the calls then they need to go make there own mmo and stop telling someone else how to control theirs. Some people just never learned how to read so when they do read something they get every thing misunderstood.

Examples Rolf stated WO would be  developed first then WU will be updated. WU is just a copy of WO with some changes. These changes where adding steam code and support, Separation of server code for hacking reasons and a few other little things. This is a one time thing  and don't have to be done every time they update WU. WU is also one of CodeClubs titles it's the same game and they are the publisher and seeing the game is the same there is no reason why they should make a whole new forum and wiki to talk about it. If you people who complain are that dang mad and let down about it leave go else where or go make your own MMO I'm sure you want hear a complaint from anyone when you are gone.

CodeClub is doing a good job at making and promoting there work as a small development company. If you disagree then why are you here? What hold do they have on you? Well they must be doing something right if you are here. You would be more helpful if you support them and there decisions rather than ranting and calling them names and saying bad things about them.

• Like 1

Here's to hoping that money gets spent on WO and not just WU.

I hope you read everything what Rolf said.

They will develop in WO and most likely WU will get the same updates.

Here's to hoping that money gets spent on WO and not just WU.

I am afraid that money spent on WO go to devs holiday

I am afraid that money spent on WO go to devs holiday

I'm affraid Rolf is ruining your business based on his business :P

I hope you read everything what Rolf said.

They will develop in WO and most likely WU will get the same updates.

The OP obviously doesn't bother to read things that Rolf or other devs put out. Cuz, ya know, they don't know what they're talking about.

i think it can only be a good thing for wo Rolf is doing what he feels is right he wants to give his family the best in life.

maybe this is a step in the right direction what ever he does is nothing to do with anyone but him and his share holders

• Like 1

Given that they're essentially the same game, Rolf and co. can dust off all those crazy ideas that have accumulated over the years, but haven't been implemented for fear of possibly breaking the game.  Just throw them at WU and see what sticks.  Anything that works out gets enabled in WO.  

Like flying, maybe.