Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Explorer tent - cordage rope

I am playing as a FTP for a break and while doing some thinking on how to manage spawning back at my spot it got me to thinking that the explorer tent might be a little high with the materials list for a fresh player to replace their spawn point.  

Now i do not know how long the newbie tent takes before it decays but as a new ftp character i would have no way in making cordage rope so maybe we should lower that to just rope? 

TLDR: My suggestion is to change the explorer tent to use only rope and not cordage rope. 

Edit: people also want them to be lighter. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 7

Usually easy enough to get some cordage off other players, but the newbie tent does last quite a while, if you're still ftp and living in the wilderness after that long, might be worth making friends to send you some

I understand but we are trying to figure ways to make players stay and eventually they will get a deed or join one but why make it hard on them to replace their spawn that is not the way to keep them here.. imo

Is it that important to use cordage rope of regular ones?  is that going to hurt anyone in anyway?

They already have to grow the cotton, wemp and make all the tools needed seems we could just make it a little easier on them to try to keep them here longer in hopes that they go premium and get a deed going eventualy...idk

Edited by Kegan

+1 and they need to be lighter,  7.4 times as heavy as newb tent is to much.

i would never leave my newb tent anywhere to take decay as it cannot be replaced , i would only drop it right before i was gonna die so i could get back to my body fast and keep on moving, being only 0.50kg makes it kind of an invaluable item to carry with you.

+1 to being both lighter and requiring normal rope instead of cordage.

They are already horrible to make and, speaking as a wanderer, damn heavy!

Major +1

Current tents are the equivalent of giving a small cart the difficulty of a wagon.... too much wogic even for wurm.

wow...really? It takes cordage? That's totally brutal.

Aye. If the Tent is useful primarily as a new character/FTP why in the world does it require cordage rope?? As a premium Player do I use a Tent? Heck NO... can't drop a tent on my deed so for a deed owner it's pointless and as a Premium Player it's definentely pointless since I can make a 1 tile shack blindfolded if I need shelter.

+1 for a change from cordage to normal rope and tent being lighter in weight.

Edited by geode

+1 specially nowadays that is so hard to find someone in local. Yeah it should be normal

Here are two threads from when tents were first released:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/101898-so-tents/

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/102349-tent/

Also, I have seen screenshots online of kingdom-specific military tents. Having attempted to research more info on tents over past months, I do not recall ever seeing any mention of such decorated versions. Here is a statement from with Wurmpedia page on wagons: "Wagons created in the various kingdoms will display the colors specific to each kingdom similar to Kingdom_banners."

I presume kingdom tents are produced by the same method. Can anyone confirm this?

Further tent info:

I created a new tent yesterday, after the new permissions update, and found that it was created with a padlock already attached; no key was produced. The tent was placed by another and I could see that it was protected for the owner (I had the option to 'steal' the tent). You are apparently no longer required to have a key to access your tent upon respawn.

(Posted here on this thread in order to add clarification on crafted vs starter tents. This update has removed one of the drawbacks of a crafted tent.)

I agree. The requirements to make a tent is steep and I would have thought it would have been regualar rope so a ftp could make a replacement if they needed to.

I agree. The requirements to make a tent is steep and I would have thought it would have been regualar rope so a ftp could make a replacement if they needed to. two hours later when they get their first death and can't remember where in HELL they were.

There, I fixed it *grin*

+1, or at least "crude" tent type that decays faster and don't have place to hitch a horse.