Sign in to follow this  
Tazinsky

Dear people who sell things.

Dear people who sell things,

Why must you list items as wts or auction without putting a price on?

Is this a new trend or people always been this dumb?

"make a offer" i hear you say,  hmm okay who taught you that? ...  have you ever gone to the local fish and chip shop and asked how much is the haddock, and they say hmmmm make a offer? so you do. you think oh weird! how about a silver coin?  and they say LOL NO GO AWAY.

To be honest, it's really crap business procedure not to state the price of the items you want to sell, or start price, of course they are your items and you can do what you like, but you're wasting my time with your shadow tactics.

Don't want my money?  don't have it....

can i get 1 like?.

-Taz

Edited by Tazinsky
  • Like 26

Some times it's nice to seperately and privately discuss the price... Deal with it.

• Like 4

If you don't approve these shadow tacticts why do you bother making an offer ?

I have to agree though, that if someone is doing this, I always feel suspicious about their intend. Since I'm bad with pricing things I would probably always be below the real worth, so if someone asks me for an offer I feel like they try to abuse it, that some people simply have no clue so they might get a chance of a "good" deal for themselves.

• Like 1

I see 4 reasons why someone would do it.

1. They don't really want to sell the item, so put that as a sort of 'if you come in with a huge offer, I might consider it'

2. They really do want to sell it and will accept pretty much any decent offer you make

3. They've got no idea what their items are worth so are using it as a sort of PC/WTS all-in-one

4. Or, they may just like to haggle. The 'economy' is fairly small in Wurm, so item's prices can fluctuate a lot or not have much sale history to base prices off, but rather just finding a price the seller/buyer can agree on.

Of course, people are free to sell items however they wish. If they alienate some customers by doing it a certain way, that's their choice.

Edited by Outlaw
  • Like 3

In real life I noticed very young kids do this.. due to myriad of all sorts of reasons... those few isolated cases where it was a person not really legitimately call "a child" anymore who was doing this same tactic, the persons were in so many ways perceived by me as "not being the brightest of lamps".

You could treat them as social experiments;

Do not make an offer, but keep digging them for a price.

When they give a price (or you got rid of them already) then accept the price immediately, enthusiastically, fast, loud. (as if, make them feel you want to close the deal fast before they are realizing how cheap theyre selling)

And they will try to raise the price.

Thats when its so amusing.

You: "How much?"

Seller: "Make an offer!"

You: "How much, please?"

[repetition]

Seller: "1 silver"

You: "OMG, SURE! Heres my 1 silver omg kheh heh."

Seller: "No wait 2 silver?"

I tell you its worth the trouble.

Ofcourse they might ask for some insane money which is when you can give them "LOL NO GO AWAY". Which isnt that bad either.

Good thing is that "these people" dont stay around for long.

One more thing; I do understand you live in model of artificial scarcity. But try see the reality. If someone is selling fantastic pickaxe and asking you for an offer and that model doesnt come to a deal, then there will be, someday, someone else selling fantastic pickaxe. I am sure of that. ;)

• Like 1

The thing is, if you put a price on something and sell it on forums. nothing stops others from trolling your thread with comments like "not worth it". Whether the item is worth it or not, people can still post their comments on the thread without having to worry about their post getting hidden. This is a major reason why I think people post "pm me an offer". 

And trust me, everytime "pm me an offer" is not meant as a marketting scheme to get a lot of money from players. In my case, those who pm me an offer, I give them very good deals, like I sold a drake set for 80 silvers with cap to a guy who pm'ed me an offer of 70 silver. I know I could have got more, but don't really feel like wasting time on auctions or debating on my want to sell thread.

Edited by Hashirama
  • Like 1

Most of the time it is them wanting to get more then the item is really worth by hoping you toss them a higher number then they would have taken.  I just don't respond to the make an offer threads unless it is something i want really really bad. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

I always try to estimate the price...then offer half.

That's because I'm really, really bad at estimating prices out of nothing.

Of course - it's generally not high enough :)

If there are similar items on the market though, a quick check usually means a fair offer.

Edited by Heboric

Thing is, I don't mind haggling, if that's what the seller wants to do.  And there are a lot of things I'd buy if they were a good deal, but probably wouldn't if they weren't - stuff that might be useful at some point, but that I don't need right now.  So if you at least give me an idea of the sort of coin you're looking for, I know whether there's potential to do a deal, or if I'd just be wasting everyone's time by contacting you, as what you want is way beyond what I'm prepared to pay.  This falls into the same category as hidden reserves on auctions; the more you make me work to buy your whatsit, the less likely I am to spend money with you; the easier you make it, the more likely I am to buy/bid.

• Like 2

It's the seller's choice. You don't like it, don't bid

• Like 4

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 'make me an offer' sales

Why? because for me (and I suspect a ton of sellers out there) the price you are willing to let something go depends on the person you are dealing with

if the guy is snotty you will want to settle at a higher price

If the guy seems cool and you are in a good mood, the price can be lower

If the guy doesn't know about pricing and offers something seriously good, then you found a treasure

if you REALLY REALLY hate the guy you will want to settle at a very high price, but still settle because business is business

If the offer is too low, then you educate the people showing them forum threads

All in all, it allows you (the seller) to let items go without the remorse that you could have gotten more out of a deal (if you put an item up for sale and you get a buyout in 30 min its clear that the buyout was set waaaay low and you basically had a lower worth expectation than the item was worth)

PLUS: sometimes during these negotiations, I end up getting items that i want instead of cold hard money, items that I could have not gotten if i had a fixed asking price

Edited by Thorakkanath
  • Like 4

The thing is, if you put a price on something and sell it on forums. nothing stops others from trolling your thread with comments like "not worth it". Whether the item is worth it or not, people can still post their comments on the thread without having to worry about their post getting hidden. This is a major reason why I think people post "pm me an offer". 

Just like hashi and gaul did to my WTB thread with a fixed sum in it, if i had 'make me an offer' they couldnt have trolled me

• Like 1

I don't appreciate the "bad attitude" you get from some of these people when they think your offer is too low when they are specifically asking for any offers. They could just kindly decline the offer or have an open and honest auction.

I treat these type of threads the same as I do auctions with private bidd/buyouts. How do you know it's a real bid and not simply a tactic to increase selling prices....

Personally, i really think i suck at selling and buying. Selling more so, very rarely is it a good experience to sell anything to wurm players. Sometime i will say best offer to just not deal with the hassle of it, and accept whatever comes my way.

Make an offer means If it's reasonably close to what it's worth then i'll go for it, And you'll get a break on the price.  Offering half what something is worth just gets you remembered in a bad way. 

Complaining about hidden reserves, prices not displayed in bright shining colours. Do people expect the forums to simply be a supermarket nowadays?

In my experience, when someone comes to me and says "make me an offer" it is absolutely an effort to get me to pay over market value. I don't like to be insulting and offer lower than something is worth, but sometimes I don't know the price. The persons who continually say "make me an offer" won't take a price that's even a little lower than market value, at those times when I know what it is, because I've tested them. They pray I overbid, and won't take a bargain price. It's tiresome. And I also find out they sell the same item at lower prices to other people.

• Like 4

Once or maybe twice I made an offer in threads where players were supposedly selling out their items because of some dire need they had to leave the game. Of course my offer was "too low" so I didn't bother with them again. Some amazing circumstance must have occurred though because a month or so later they are back playing the game again, wheeling and dealing in various things.

Yea, soon as I open a sales thread and I see "make an offer" I just hit the back mouse key and go to another where the price is listed within it. If the seller is going to sell for some reasonable price, I think it is much better for them to list in in the first place rather than hope they will get more for it by not doing this, which I think is what these "make an offer" sales amount to.

Hey, even in some third world countries where their culture is to bargain they will at least give you some sort of high price initially and then your counter "offer" will start the process. When you ask the price they will never say "Make me an offer!". Only in Wurm Online...

=Ayes=

• Like 2

There are good merchants, and there are bad merchants. You have highlighted one way to help distinguish between them.

"Dear people, I would like to jump on the bandwagon of insulting people who don't do business the way I'd like them to"

Seriously though, if you don't know how much an item is worth and noone gives you a proper pricecheck on it (either because noone cares or because it's sold so rarely that noone knows) I'd ask for an offer. I wouldn't let your idea of how business is supposed to be done stand in my way of selling something. I generally don't ask for offers, but I understand why people do. If you make a supreme you haven't seen sold before noone can give you a proper pricecheck on it so you just ask for offers and sell if you get an offer you're okay with. :P

Edited by Aeris