Hello everyone,

I have updated this thread to be more accurate and meaningful based on previous edits and replies and more of my own research and testing. First, I recommend you uninstall your previous version of Java 8 and replace it with the latest version. At the time of writing, it was JRE 1.8.0_60 also known as Java 8 Runtime Environment. There are also some websites out there claiming that the server version of Java 8 provides an increase in performance for certain types of mathematical calculations. However, the server version of Java 8 does not include 'javaws.exe' that is needed to run Wurm Online. I have no idea if overwriting the JRE 1.8.0_60 directory contents with JDK 1.8.0_60 results in any performance improvement or not. However, I did it just for kicks and it didn't prevent me from running the game. For most users, I just recommend getting the new JRE.

Second, I want to share my updated Wurm game settings also known as the gamesettings.txt file you find in your game directory. On my PC, it's located at  D:\Program Files\Wurm Online\configs\default\gamesettings.txt but your configuration file may be in a different location (e.g., on the C drive instead). What you do is backup your current gamesettings.txt using a different filename and then copy my settings into your gamesettings.txt. If something goes wrong just revert back to your old gamesettings.txt or further tweak the settings using the Wurm Client for your machine. The configuration I posted below has lower settings for use with multiple clients as most people have alts. If you're just running a single client you can increase your settings as long as you can maintain a decent amount of FPS in-game.

If you have created separate configuration profiles, your gamesettings.txt will appear under D:\Program Files\Wurm Online\configs\ConfigName where the ConfigName is the name of the configuration you used for a particular in-game character.

MULTIPLE CLIENT CONFIGURATION (Major Update: 2015-10-18 at 9:48PM)

#Wurm Online client properties
#Sun Oct 18 21:26:37 EDT 2015
show_body_in_inventory=false
enable_contribution_culling=false
sound_cache_enabled=true
viewport_bob=true
hide_menu_examine=false
color_white=1.0,1.0,1.0
mark_text_read=true
no_terrain_render=false
has_read_eula=true
color_error=1.0,0.3,0.3
use_color_picking=true
render_glow=false
trees=3
vbo_enabled=2
reflections=1
animation_playback_self=0
showKChat=true
debug_mode=false
color_teal=0.0,0.5,0.5
irc_log_rotation=2
impColumn=true
sound_al_gain=0
release_context=false
skydetail=0
auto_mipmaps_enabled=2
use_fast_clock_work_around=true
no_world_render=false
skillgain_no_alignment=false
release_context_on_jogl_sleep=false
skillgain_no_favor=true
loadInventoryStartup=true
settings_version=3
use_anisotropic_filtering=4
terrain_bump=false
custim_timer_source=1
gui_skin=1
color_black=0.0,0.0,0.0
tiledecorations=0
season_override=0
color_cyan=0.0,1.0,1.0
font_antialias=2
use_alpha_particles=true
contribution_culling=150
fog_coord_src=0
sound_play_PMAlert=true
submit_client_data=1
game_client_thread_priority=2
structure_render_distance=3
sound_engine=2
customTimer5=-1|-1
customTimer4=-1|-1
customTimer3=-1|-1
customTimer2=-1|-1
customTimer1=-1|-1
font_italian=11
other_log_rotation=2
enable_debugs=false
log_extra_errors=false
screenshot_file_format=0
color_grey=0.5,0.5,0.5
sound_play_ambients=true
auto_run_source=0
depth_clamp_enabled=2
terrain_res=2
stipple_enabled=true
material_as_suffix=true
use_nano_timer=false
hide_menu_no_target=false
collada_animations=3
cloud_shadows=false
player_texture_size=2
test_attach_equipment=false
fast_yield=false
event_log_rotation=2
color_purple=0.5,0.0,0.5
test_mode=0
color_fuchsia=1.0,0.0,1.0
fps_limit_enabled=true
color_lime=0.0,1.0,0.0
sound_play_combat=true
sound_play_emotes=true
font_header=28
update_optional=true
color_navy_blue=0.23,0.39,1.0
render_distant_terrain=true
max_texture_size=1
censor_chat=false
high_res_binoculars=true
use_phobia_models=false
thirdPerson=false
color_maroon=0.5,0.0,0.0
offscreen_texture_size=2
sound_play_buzz=true
sound_buzzlevel=2
outline_picking=true
gpu_skinning=true
water_detail=2
compressed_textures_S3TC=true
enable_lod=true
use_antialiasing=1
display_settings=false\:true\:0\:1920\:1080\:32\:-1\:false\:false
model_loader_thread_priority=1
sound_music_level=5
use_non_alpha_particles=true
shift_drag_default=10
reflection_texture_size=0
tile_transitions=true
occlusion_queries_enabled=2
gui_opacity=3
compressed_textures=false
hide_inactive_friends=true
exec_source=0
item_creature_render_distance=4
font_static=15
use_tree_models=true
treelist_outline=true
sound_doppler_enabled=false
use_weather_particles=true
key_bindings_source=0
font_monospaced=11
engine_multithreaded=2
save_skills_on_quit=true
color_yellow=1.0,1.0,0.0
enable_vsync=true
color_royal_blue=0.23,0.39,1.0
disable_select_all_shortcut=false
enable_shift_drag=true
glsl_debug_loading=false
use_fbo_color_picking=false
mega_texture_size=3
color_orange=1.0,0.5,0.0
remember_password=true
color_silver=0.75,0.75,0.75
togglePushToTalk=true
local_list_in_event=true
font_default=15
log_gl_errors=false
lod=1
resident_models=false
color_system=0.5,1.0,0.5
multidraw_enabled=2
send_extra_tile_data=false
mount_rotation=true
color_red=1.0,0.0,0.0
use_nagles_algorithm=false
sound_play_work=true
skillgain_minimum=3
fps_limit=60
silent_friends_update=false
cavedetail=1
sound_play_weather=true
keyboard_layout=0
no_brightness=false
inverse_mouse=false
fbo_enabled=1
hint_texture_scaling=1
sound_play_music=false
show_old_quickbar=false
fps_limit_background=30
hide_menu_spam_mode=true
render_sun_glare=false
non_power_of_two=2
sound_play_door=true
font_bold=11
sound_footstepslevel=10
model_loading_threads=1
hide_menu_stop=false
color_green=0.08,1.0,0.08
irc_notif=0
sound_play_footsteps=true
glsl_enabled=2
shadow_level=0
fov_horizontal=90
setting_timestamps=true

Here are some features you may wish to tweak further:

- model_loading_threads=1 (use a lower setting for multiple clients; 1 for dual core CPU; 2 for quad core CPU; higher for six or eight core CPUs)

- etc....

Finally, I'm not providing any guarantees that this configuration will actually prevent or reduce stutters in the game when for example, visitng places like Glasshollow in Xanadau. However, at the very least I hope it helps some of the people out there who are struggling to find a decent mix of settings to make the game run smooth for them without having to go through all the configuration settings one by one. If users could report their findings in this thread, that would be helpful for everyone.

• Did it improve your game performance (e.g., FPS)?
  • Did it improve the speed of loading objects (i.e., object popping in/out of view when being loaded)?
  • Did it improve stuttering (e.g., going to Glasshollow and ending up with major stuttering afterwards
Edited by Neville

This is a very interesting and fun topic, I also have been playing with settings a lot.

The stutters (the normal ones that occur as you walk, and as things load) seems to have gone away for me (well almost) with loading threads at 16 (playing on the wild side!) and priority minimum.

My PC isnt that great, but it seems I can push almost anything to max, without a performance penalty (apart from shadows, those kill me a little). I disabled culling now, because I love seeing town lights from far away, and seeing things far into the distance, and still my fps remains at the 45fps I locked it too.

I am going to fool around with your suggestions, and see what happens.

Thanks for this matey

Dammit Budda :(

I suppose the new client renderer will use multiprocessing? *nudge hint hint*

As I said, I could be completely wrong about the feature and maybe it does do absolutely nothing. How do we know for sure that it does nothing? Where's the proof? I have no proof that it does anything and you have no proof that it does nothing. Perhaps the CPU usage patterns I saw were just a fluke or maybe not. I have no idea. All I know is that this is an undocumented feature but the Wurm client knows about it. How do I know this? Because if you change it from 0 to 4, the client resets it to 2. That means it's reading this variable. Could be reading it completely for nothing in which case it does nothing, or could be reading it for a reason. I don't know unless someone finds a way to debug it or a dev gives us an answer.

engine_multithreaded does literally nothing

As I said, I could be completely wrong about the feature and maybe it does do absolutely nothing. How do we know for sure that it does nothing? Where's the proof? I have no proof that it does anything and you have no proof that it does nothing. Perhaps the CPU usage patterns I saw were just a fluke or maybe not. I have no idea. All I know is that this is an undocumented feature but the Wurm client knows about it. How do I know this? Because if you change it from 0 to 4, the client resets it to 2. That means it's reading this variable. Could be reading it completely for nothing in which case it does nothing, or could be reading it for a reason. I don't know unless someone finds a way to debug it or a dev gives us an answer.

Budda is a client developer Neville.

But it seems on mine, that nothing changed. It's likely a config variable that was put in place as a placeholder at some point.

Budda is a client developer, with access to the source code. If he says it does nothing, that's pretty much proof of it. Just because the client makes checks for valid settings doesn't mean the setting is actually used.

Also, Wurm has always made full use of all my cores, as does most things. Windows 10 seems to do a pretty nice job of load balancing over all four of my cores. 

Proof that it literally does nothing, the code for it is not referenced at all:

goggles.png

• Like 2

Proof that it literally does nothing, the code for it is not referenced at all:

goggles.png

Thanks For the answer Budda, always nicce to see prompt dev response in topics 

P.s. Nice redacting skills :P

On another topic here, so win 10 is stable for Wurm? Have not upgraded yet because was waiting to see if anyone had problems.

Thanks For the answer Budda, always nicce to see prompt dev response in topics 

P.s. Nice redacting skills :P

About redacting skills. I was seeing much much more earlier, he modified the picture later.

Now its all imprinted in my mind! I know now how Wurm works! *Mindblown!*

Funny thing is that his word was not enough, but a screenshot somehow makes it different? I trust his words, but that screenshot, I could forge similar picture about the core base class of our primary library.

Obviously Budda has to upload the entire source for us to peruse before we believe that this does nothing for performance.

• Like 1

It was "very late" and I didn't notice Budda was a client developer when I replied after he said the feature does nothing. Therefore, I stand corrected.

Nonetheless, I don't want to distract the rest of the thread from being potentially useful to people for performance tuning. Therefore, I'm going to edit the post and strikeout the irrelevant bits.

Finally, I did a strikeout on "due to the bug or memory leak in the client" because this is an assumption based on what I've heard from others. What we do know is that we experience stuttering but in reality, nobody knows what is causing it yet. Maybe the devs do but the community doesn't.

Thanks Budda!

Edited by Neville
  • Like 1

Sorry, yes see my recent post. I didn't notice at the time, it was very late and I was so tired. My apologies. Nonetheless, glad he replied.

Budda is a client developer, with access to the source code. If he says it does nothing, that's pretty much proof of it. Just because the client makes checks for valid settings doesn't mean the setting is actually used.

Also, Wurm has always made full use of all my cores, as does most things. Windows 10 seems to do a pretty nice job of load balancing over all four of my cores. 

After weeks of testing different settings I found this new configuration eliminated a lot of lag for me. I find that shadows and light in the game are the biggest culprits for lag. For example, looking at 5 copper braziers in the centre of a temple we use for sermoning dropped my FPS by 20. This inspired me to lower the settings even more without sacrificing too much quality to increase FPS and prevent multiple clients from stuttering so much. This is the best possible configuration I could come up with based on my hardware. Your experience may vary depending on how old or new your hardware is so feel free to experiment further.

If you prefer to see screenshots of the settings look here:

http://imgur.com/a/VWD1c

Edited by Neville

It would be interesting to see what your system specs are.  This would also help people choose settings, since they could also compare their system to yours.

It doesnt really matter what specs you have.

When you enable shadows and glsl water reflections together you are gonna get piss poor fps.

The only way to get around it is to use either reflections or shadows but never both at the same time. It became like this a bit over two years ago after they "improved" the graphics engine.

Additionally on my amd+ati gpu reflections are bugged and has been for a year. The reflections are basically upside down. The only thing that works for me is the same as the OP. Sky reflections and no shadows. The rest of the settings are on highest.

I clearly remember that Wurm Unlimited would be released along with new graphic rendering system that fixes all the memory leaks and poor fps but I havent heared anything more about it since.

Wurm Unlimited will be a disaster unless the graphic bugs are fixed before release..

ROLF said in Wurm Unlimited FAQ.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/131135-faq/

So much ###### dude, fix the fkin memory leaks topkek

• We're working on a new rendering system for the client, hopefully that will improve things for you.
Edited by Tsetse

I was told that the new rendering system isn't ready yet.  It will be coming to WO and WU at about the same time.

I hate to be negative but that is really bad news. New customers wont have the love and understanding that ordinary wurm online players have. Poor performance and memory leaks is a very serious issue. I enjoy the graphics in wurm but almost everyone Ive shown it to says it looks like its from 2001. Add poor performance despite 2001 graphics and memory leaks on top of that and you have a recipe for disaster.

Edited by Tsetse

I hate to be negative but that is really bad news. New customers wont have the love and understanding that ordinary wurm online players have. Poor performance and memory leaks is a very serious issue. I enjoy the graphics in wurm but almost everyone Ive shown it to says it looks like its from 2001. Add poor performance despite 2001 graphics and memory leaks on top of that and you have a recipe for disaster.

• Like 1

I would be glad to give my specs (see below) and like I said, these settings need to be tweaked (lower or higher) depending on your own system. I'm just trying to provide some sort of baseline because I know it helped some people. Your mileage may vary.

I built this system back in 2011 and the hardware doesn't meet the max limits of what this motherboard can do:

- Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz CPU overclocked to 3.9GHz (with closed-loop liquid cooler on CPU)

- Memory (RAM): 8GB (four Kingston HyperX modules with heat spreaders)

- Hard Drive (HDD): One Seagate 7200RPM and one Western Digital 7200RPM in RAID 0 (striping) configuration

- Video (PCIe): Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

- Operating System (OS): Windows 7 SP1 + Latest Patches minus the ones I chose not to install

Yes, I could upgrade to a six-core CPU, faster RAM, HDD/SSD hybrid or SSD hard drives, better video card, etc. However, I had a limited budget and I've been running with this ever since 2011. The biggest bottleneck is obviously the hard drives. They get the lowest score in Windows Experience Index at 5.9. My processor is at 7.7 and everything else is at 7.8. I chose not to upgrade to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.

I would be glad to give my specs (see below) and like I said, these settings need to be tweaked (lower or higher) depending on your own system. I'm just trying to provide some sort of baseline because I know it helped some people. Your mileage may vary.

I built this system back in 2011 and the hardware doesn't meet the max limits of what this motherboard can do:

- Processor (CPU): Intel Core i7-3820 3.6GHz CPU overclocked to 3.9GHz (with closed-loop liquid cooler on CPU)

- Memory (RAM): 8GB (four Kingston HyperX modules with heat spreaders)

- Hard Drive (HDD): One Seagate 7200RPM and one Western Digital 7200RPM in RAID 0 (striping) configuration

- Video (PCIe): Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560

- Operating System (OS): Windows 7 SP1 + Latest Patches minus the ones I chose not to install

Yes, I could upgrade to a six-core CPU, faster RAM, HDD/SSD hybrid or SSD hard drives, better video card, etc. However, I had a limited budget and I've been running with this ever since 2011. The biggest bottleneck is obviously the hard drives. They get the lowest score in Windows Experience Index at 5.9. My processor is at 7.7 and everything else is at 7.8. I chose not to upgrade to Windows 8, 8.1 or 10.