Sign in to follow this  
Meog

Bison, Cows, Sheep - Way don't they have names?

I would like to have names for breeding. This would allow me to breed without getting inbreeding

and could develop far better animals.

• Like 1

You have no idea how long people have been asking for this... lol

Or at least some way of easily identifying different critters that aren't horses or hellhorses.

These animals mentioned are very shy and discreet, so they prefer their privacy and refuse to have any names attached to them so that they can be controlled and kept track of by the *System*. Hurrah for their rebellion and long may it live!

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Here's an idea i have as a player to the suggestion originally posted.

If it's a problem with bloating code or database space by having names created in text, perhaps Wurm Online could simply include the unique database index number of the individual animal in the name that appears and where it's referenced in parentage information.

For example, 'bison' could become displayed 'bison #24332' where the name's not actually stored individually but coded along the lines of 'bison #' <ref#> .

That might be easier to implement.  Of course no change would be made to horsee as they're already implemented, just other breedable animals.

Here's an idea i have as a player to the suggestion originally posted.

If it's a problem with bloating code or database space by having names created in text, perhaps Wurm Online could simply include the unique database index number of the individual animal in the name that appears and where it's referenced in parentage information.

For example, 'bison' could become displayed 'bison #24332' where the name's not actually stored individually but coded along the lines of 'bison #' <ref#> .

That might be easier to implement.  Of course no change would be made to horsee as they're already implemented, just other breedable animals.

That would be nice - a number, as long as there different for each animal.

That would be nice - a number, as long as there different for each animal.

I am fairly confident that each animal already have their unique number within the data system. ;)

Adding generated names to all things sounds pretty awesome idea. Similar to the horses. That just seems like it could be confusing.

Technical limitations aside... what about, all things having their own generated name, and then the "generic" name/type string below it. And subsequently the Generated names being used in relations in animal husbandry.

Maulbash

venerable troll

Furknot

aged fat bison

Windwalking

venerable fat horse

Its a bad idea to name your food.

Enough feels from having a loyal, dependable mount being shot out from under you. Though one could use the Witcher method and just name them all Roach.

Name them Steak, Hamburger, Bacon, Pork Chop, Fried Chicken. Or make it simple and name them Chicken Fried and then the name of the animal.

On the ranch, they are critters that you eat.  We name pets not Tenderhoof.  Having said that, some way to differentiate a bull for breeding beyond penning would be nice.