Sign in to follow this  
Leiloni2

please advise - I'm lost

I have been lost on Xanadu - New spring, for 6 HOURS now - they tell me look at the mountains, all I see are trees, I know it's an island, but I seem to keep going in circles. Thinking about just  starting over. Why aren't there any maps that are any good. This may be one reason players Quit the game. I am playing with another, she is also lost - we can't even find each other. Please = any suggestions will help.

Hey, what is your in-game name, and can you tell where are you now ? around what town or area ? I have an alt on xanadu so i can join you and we can be lost together :)

Don't you still have your compasses? That should stop you from running circles and also will help you determine your location on the map.

If your friend is nearby (in local), then light a campfire. You may be able to see the smoke to follow; you can also follow the sound of the fire (headphones help).

Follow moons, sol, smoke, sounds, lights and you will eventually find a shoreline and shoreline is the place where most deeds are. If you are newbie with low skills you can always use /suicide.

You can also adjust settings to show less content in order to see the mountain behind the trees. 

First of all, try and use this http://xanadu-wurm.rhcloud.com/

The map has a lot of deeds marked on it, and once you enter (or leave) a deed (village, settlement, different names for same player owned places), you will get a message in Event tab, something like that: "You leave Gotham / You enter Shambala". Then you can look for that village on the map (the link above).

Also, being on an island, and having a compass, should help you a lot, although you will have to stand still for about 10 seconds before the compass will settle.

Wurm is a survival game, maps can be found on forums, but not all villages are marked on them, so you will have to look for landmarks as well, and memorise the surroundings, until you will feel more confident.

If you are new, you can type in chat /suicide and chose to respawn at another starting town, will lose only your backpack, pottery bowl and rope, from your starting kit, but will keep all other items you got when you left the tutorial.

A good practice is to ask people in local, they will give you directions, and maybe trying to join a village, at least until you learn the ropes.

Remember, a lot of fun in this game is to go out, explore, get lost, die (and as a fresh player, dying isn't that bad, nothing much to lose), find a place you think it fits you and settle there.

• Like 1

I have been lost on Xanadu - New spring, for 6 HOURS now - they tell me look at the mountains, all I see are trees, I know it's an island, but I seem to keep going in circles. Thinking about just  starting over. Why aren't there any maps that are any good. This may be one reason players Quit the game. I am playing with another, she is also lost - we can't even find each other. Please = any suggestions will help.

Leiloni2,

Probably the best option for you both would just be to type /suicide which will pop up a screen confirming that you want to kill your character. Then after you are dead another screen will pop up with all the starter Villages listed such as Newspring. Make sure to choose the option to spawn at the Village token and not "outside" of the Village or you will end up in the Perimeter somewhere and might still be sort of lost.

Although this sounds scary players, especially new ones with low skills, use this option frequently to explore around the server or travel with alts to do some transactions. Only thing is that you will loose a few items that remain on your corpse which should be of little value to you anyway as a new player.

=Ayes=

Is it just me or is there flattened terra formed land showing up on the map?

These maps are current as of April:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/122081-official-mapdumps/

Here is a topic discussing the differences between top-down and isometric (3D) points of view:

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/122218-new-map-dumps-thanks-but/#entry1254900

->

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/122218-new-map-dumps-thanks-but/#entry1254932

Areas behind mountains and other steep elevations may not be drawn on the maps.

If you both type /suicide and select the same location, e.g. "Newspring", to respawn at, you'll appear next to one another. I did this a few times the other day when I was lost when I started playing. You'll keep all the newbie items you started with, so you won't lose anything important, unless you've already collected some valuable items.

Also, I've found these two maps useful. The first has some of the settlements marked, which you can see when you pass through them in-game (I had to disable adblock to get this one to work). The second is a topology map that is useful for getting your bearings based on geographic features.

I just started near Newspring the other day. You can send a /tell Tyrir in-game if you need more help.

• Like 2

A great way to stop yourself from going in circles is: highlight the ground, you will see tiles light up. Choose one side of the tile, and decide to go in that direction. Then keep highlighting the tiles in front of you, and keep the same line/direction across the tiles. You will be guaranteed to go in a straight line then, without ending up in circles, and you will be bound to hit a coast sooner or later. Even if you have to make a detour (too steep or whatever) then keep 'your' side of the tiles in mind and in sight, and follow the tiles again in your old chosen direction as soon as that becomes possible again.

Now to make both of you follow the same direction, you need to either look in the sky, or mouse over where the sky is behind the trees, swipe across it until you get something with a name (a planet or sun or moon). Make your friend look too, and as soon as you both have found the same name in the sky, you can arrange to follow the tiles in the same direction (maybe going straight at that name will be same as following the direction of a tile - maybe you will need to agree on 'following the tiles with (name) a bit to the right' (or a bit to the left) - but that way you can arrange it so you both follow the tile-lines in the same direction, so will eventually emerge at the same coast not too far away from each other.