Sign in to follow this  
Maximustehgreat

Basic Poll: is WU the right direction for Wurmonline?

The Direction wurmonline is moving good or bad?  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think WurmUnlimited is a good move for wurmonline?

• Yes
    • No

Just a basic Poll, would like to get a scope on how many think this is a good or bad move

Please put your reasons for your choice below if you wish

Or any other ideas you think it it could move towards.

cheers

max

Edited by Maximustehgreat

He has to do something he can not grow his company without trying new things. If this takes off then he will have made a lot of money if not then things keep going like normal and he has to think of something else to try. 

• Like 11

I am over this topic.

Yes, it is for the company.

For players, maybe... maybe not. If he makes money, we get it too.

Actually, everything that has been said 605 000 times in all the other threads of tears already.

No offence, but life goes on, and we're still playing.

• Like 4

The current design (having the community serve as staff) can't support a large community (aka a full Steam Wurm Online release). Wurm Ultimate Unlimited is the next best thing, but I have to question.... If it offers everything in a self hosted mini multiplayer server size, why would I continue to pay thousands of dollars each year to play Online? (My 5 Characters, my wife's character, our deeds, and all the fancy little doodads I buy for "digital fun" all add up to a LOT of money.)

Am I looking forward to Wurm Ultimate? Sure, but I'm far more excited for my bank account.

I might be able to finally save up for that Space-X ticket now.

Edited by Tuanta
  • Like 3

This poll is asking an impossible question. Wurm Unlimited isn't a new direction for Wurm Online, it's a branch in the path. WO will continue on its path, basically unchanged. WU is a new game based on WO, with its own path to follow.

• Like 6

Initially my friends and I were fairly neutral as to whether or not this was a proper business decision. After having thought about it for a time most of us have moved our position to the positive side, at least as it concerns us. We will now be able to play the game free of negative influence. Think of it. No worries about what is built being tampered with. No fences. No griefing. No theft. A completely relaxed atmosphere. This is how the WURM PvE servers should have always been Twelve of us will set up our server and probably never come back to WO. Yes, for us this is a great move.

Edited by Sarcaticous
  • Like 3

Wurm Unlimited is not a different direction it is an additional one. 

I see different people being interested in each of the different versions. There may also be some who like both or neither.  The game is branching out. That is what a company should do.  I applaud the team and wish them well. I will be looking forward to trying it out and making a server of my own if money permits.

• Like 3

I consider this a great improvement. It allows us the community to have it our way to a greater degree. Lets say 5000 people (a very low number) buy into WU. If the base price is about 25 euros, give or take, he will bring in 125 thousand euros. That's a lot of money for staffing, and future wurm development. it can only improve the game.

yes.

* For the longest time Wurm has not been able to provided diverse experiences for players. For example I love these ideas: mini-maps, teleportation, no aggro. Now there is an option for those who want something different.

* I'm firm believer in the simple statement...If you can do it, it's legal and intended. I see no need for moderation (GM's, CM's, or PA's) and I'm stoked that I can play WU where there won't be any. I don't care if people cheat or macro. Although, I must say that those folks who answer question on CA help are awesome and one form "moderation" I approve.

* MODS!   Need I say more? Sure there aren't any and Wurm doesn't seem to want put any effort into making modding easier. But aren't going to try to block it either.

• Like 1

Considering it going against Like is Feudal which mostly isn't Stable or has much depth currently and it had   7,871

Peak players at one time, and Reign of Kings which suffers similar problems 13,278

Also DON'T RECOMMEND the above currently, as WURM is a lot better

Would give Wurm a lot of seed money for the end game content construction such as Warfare, PVE and better coding

I have to say that WU is the right direction.... but they REALLY need to add map generation or include at least 10 maps. Or integrate steam workshop and a map editing tool.. that would be great too.

Edited by Jberg
  • Like 3

Believe 

Warlander Is making some tools for modding over maps and other items

Most Maps used in games are basically a collection of image files so anyone should be able to edit with image editing software such as Photoshop

The current design (having the community serve as staff) can't support a large community (aka a full Steam Wurm Online release). Wurm Ultimate Unlimited is the next best thing, but I have to question.... If it offers everything in a self hosted mini multiplayer server size, why would I continue to pay thousands of dollars each year to play Online? (My 5 Characters, my wife's character, our deeds, and all the fancy little doodads I buy for "digital fun" all add up to a LOT of money.)

Am I looking forward to Wurm Ultimate? Sure, but I'm far more excited for my bank account.

I might be able to finally save up for that Space-X ticket now.

Lets be frank here.

You rented bits of code as a service.

That's what a subscription is. A service agreement for access to software content.

You didn't really buy a deed. You didn't really buy a house. Those aren't really your characters.

I know it may FEEL like an investment, but it's not.

And how would you know what managing a Steam launch is like? I've seen them well managed with 2 people before.

It's the CAHelp channel that's going to hurt the most.

• Like 1

Lets be frank here.

That's what a subscription is. A service agreement for access to software content.

You didn't really buy a deed. You didn't really buy a house. Those aren't really your characters.

And how would you know what managing a Steam launch is like? I've seen them well managed with 2 people before.

Eh? 

What are you on about?

I'm not seeing anything in my post that warrants your reply.

We're here for you though. Let's talk it out. :)

Lets be frank here.

Oh no, not someone else going to hassle me to join CA .....

But this may actually give me the impetus to actually do that, if CA is hurting, then more bodies with reasonable knowledge can't hurt.

This implies you believe that Online will be seeing an influx of new players after WU's release, and I both fear and welcome that.

• Like 1

Let's see how many more pointless polls we can make. Maybe a poll on pointless polls.

Hey, you forgot the 'I don't care' choice. Because really, I don't care. It's a done deal.

Edited by Clatius

Let's see how many more pointless polls we can make. Maybe a poll on pointless polls.

Hey, you forgot the 'I don't care' choice. Because really, I don't care. It's a done deal.

There doesn't need to a don't care option, Just don't vote. Not hard. Want to see results? Click view results. 

I consider this a great improvement. It allows us the community to have it our way to a greater degree. Lets say 5000 people (a very low number) buy into WU. If the base price is about 25 euros, give or take, he will bring in 125 thousand euros. That's a lot of money for staffing, and future wurm development. it can only improve the game.

You are a real businessman i see, how is your lemonade stand and kissing booth doing? LMAO!

Steam takes 30% + 5% is held back for refunds (this amount can vary).

Publishers usually take between 20-30% some significantly more (EA/UBI).

The tax man takes roughly another 30% in Europe i think a little more towards 40% in Scandinavia.

This leaves him with maybe 40,000-50,00Euro.

You are a real businessman i see, how is your lemonade stand and kissing booth doing? LMAO!

Steam takes 30% + 5% is held back for refunds (this amount can vary).

Publishers usually take between 20-30% some significantly more (EA/UBI).

The tax man takes roughly another 30% in Europe i think a little more towards 40% in Scandinavia.

This leaves him with maybe 40,000-50,00Euro.

Edited by enoofu

I honestly don't see what can be good about it for WO, yes for WU it will be a good thing IF it makes good sales, the devs will want to spend more times updating wu and wo will start to be abandonned as the game patches which btw are already very slow, will be even slower. People will start to migrate to wu since, why would you pay 15$ a month disincluding the multiple alts that you need to fully enjoy Wurm without any players helping you and also the many bugs and glitches on wo that will hopefully not be in wu. People will love wu because they will set timers and skill rate to very high and it will brush off SOME of the grinding. Rolf keeps saying that it will redirect trafic to here and it might do, exept that i highly doubt someone that's used to not paying every month, that enjoys the fast skills and timers sets, that's calm on his own server with his friends, would enjoy playing on a server where the skills will be MUCH slower than what he's used to, the timers will be much slower than he's to too, and said person will just drop wurm online and stay on wurm unlimited.

I honestly don't see what can be good about it for WO, yes for WU it will be a good thing IF it makes good sales, the devs will want to spend more times updating wu and wo will start to be abandonned as the game patches which btw are already very slow, will be even slower. People will start to migrate to wu since, why would you pay 15$ a month disincluding the multiple alts that you need to fully enjoy Wurm without any players helping you and also the many bugs and glitches on wo that will hopefully not be in wu. People will love wu because they will set timers and skill rate to very high and it will brush off SOME of the grinding. Rolf keeps saying that it will redirect trafic to here and it might do, exept that i highly doubt someone that's used to not paying every month, that enjoys the fast skills and timers sets, that's calm on his own server with his friends, would enjoy playing on a server where the skills will be MUCH slower than what he's used to, the timers will be much slower than he's to too, and said person will just drop wurm online and stay on wurm unlimited.

Edited by Blacklotus
  • Like 1

Pretty hard to setup a decent server that a lot of peeps like, so I doubt WO will die from WU

Your making things up to make it sound bad. The reality of it is this:

-WO Is still the prime source of updates

-WU Will not be connected to WO in any way, shape, or form

-WO Will recieve the updates FIRST then ported to WU

-WU Has no long lasting servers like WO, And will probably only have a few that will remain online for a few years(maybe more). 

-WU Has no real world value whatsoever(Not really a perk but those out there who enjoy the thought of "hey, my stuff is actually worth something, thats pretty cool" appreciate this label, like myself. )

-The majority of the VOCAL community has stated they will probably try WU, But will stay with WO in the long run. While there IS a minority who will be leaving WO for WU like yours truly. 

-It may be true, Updates will slow down, but they won't be slowed down by weeks or months. Its just they need to port it over which can be far easier then actually updating it from scratch. 

Yes, WU May inevitably end up having the bigger player base because of steam, But WO Will still remain the primary for aslong as there is support from the community for it. And we've already seen that support come pouring in. 

Why someone like me is leaving? Well a few reasons, Primarily communication with staff and mistreatment by staff reasons. Aswell the PvP Community isn't all that great, Specially when trying to bring new people into the mix. 

Pretty hard to setup a decent server that a lot of peeps like, so I doubt WO will die from WU

Depends on the requirements but considering it runs on java i have not much faith in performance. This will be a pain in the ass to run especially since you have to run it on Windows, a OS notorious for it's ba Multitasking and resource management. I just hope someone will make a Unix port ASAP. If not we will see a lot of laggy and bad servers.