Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Server Specs - will it run on Amazon Free Tier?

Isn't WU Windows-only (at least to start with)?  I'm not sure AWS includes that capability (it's all running variations of Linux, isn't it?).  If the WU server requires running Steam as well, that implies you also need to be able to run some sort of desktop as well, unless there's some way to run it in headless mode. 

AWS provides Windows Server 2012 R2

Not for free packages if i recall.

Premade maps + the ones generated by players. :)

Minimal working server size is 1024X1024, maximum - 32768X32768.

Sorry if this is a re-ask, but have the specs for the severs that run wurm online been posted publicly? Would be a good case study at what we will need if we plan to run popular servers.

Sorry if this is a re-ask, but have the specs for the severs that run wurm online been posted publicly? Would be a good case study at what we will need if we plan to run popular servers.

I don't know any exact specs yet, this is hard to say at the moment.

I will start with that specs for about 8.5E per month.

Intel®Xeon® E5-26xxV3 (2 Cores with 2.5GHz)

6GB DDR4 RAM

SSD

1 Gbit internet connection

Then I will see how it runs and how many people are on the server.

This is from 6 years ago: http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/17928-wild-server-successfully-moved/#entry231143 With the switch to Hetzner there are probably different specs now but the numbers give you a rough edge.

One of the most important points from that post is that the server used to run on Linux. Wonder why the decision was made at some point to use a windows only library and wonder if then there is a possibility to undo that change.

Server is probably still running on Linux, just that most people aren't running Linux, and they don't have time atm to have a Linux release at lanuch

Nobody ever said that the server will be windows only too. I have seen many games where the client is windows only on steam but there are workarounds how the server can be launched on linux too. So we will see what we can do there to get that thing working on linux.

Yeah that is where we need more information on the servers so we can prepare. I have not set up my package yet because if I can run the server on linux I would much rather do so. I understand that the Wurm Unlimited client is at least for now only for Windows due to the port to steam. However there has been little to no information at all released on how the server part will work (and that may be because they are not finished with it).

For now I am just assuming it will need to be a windows server, with remote desktop capability (or teamviewer) so that you can log into it and start up a steam client to get the server going. If this is the case that means more ram required due to steam and windows. However those server specs linked to earlier do help a bit, sounds like 16 gigs of ram with a good processor and connection on an SSD would hold 200 people on a 8x8 server nicely.

Edited by Xyp

Yeah that is where we need more information on the servers so we can prepare. I have not set up my package yet because if I can run the server on linux I would much rather do so. I understand that the Wurm Unlimited client is at least for now only for Windows due to the port to steam. However there has been little to no information at all released on how the server part will work (and that may be because they are not finished with it).

For now I am just assuming it will need to be a windows server, with remote desktop capability (or teamviewer) so that you can log into it and start up a steam client to get the server going. If this is the case that means more ram required due to steam and windows. However those server specs linked to earlier do help a bit, sounds like 16 gigs of ram with a good processor and connection on an SSD would hold 200 people on a 8x8 server nicely.

I haven't read anything about the server being Windows-only either. All this Windows-only talk was about the client using native libraries for rendering and stuff and the Steam client. If the current WO servers are running on Linux, it makes more sense for them IMHO to modify the existing ones for WU instead of modifying them AND porting them to Windows, the server doesn't render anything graphical either. And I don't see why the server would need the Steam client to run, why add this complexity? People need a client to play, that's a given, a server is a means to an end, e.g. selling more servers, someone who is setting up a server has already purchased the client to play on it and is being verified by the client DRM, no need for Steam on the server. As logic would dictate that is.

And having the server require Steam is bad for security too. Often, if the Arma team I've been playing with is any indication, the team top officers are also server admins and share the password. I may give the admin pass to a trusted teammate on the internet so he can do admin work when I'm away. I would never give my Steam password to anyone for any reason.

Besides, making the server Windows-only will seriously hamper their proliferation. On online.net one can get a half decent server for 15€/mo and a good one for 30€/mo. But if you want Windows on it, it's an extra 30€/mo. Same at home, if you have an old machine that you want to run a server on, you will technically need a separate Windows license for this machine.

So I do not believe that the server will be Windows-only and require the Steam client to run. That's what I choose to believe until I hear something official about it and anyway na-na-na I can't hear you :).

If the WU server requires running Steam as well, that implies you also need to be able to run some sort of desktop as well, unless there's some way to run it in headless mode.

Steam itself isn't an issue, there is SteamCMD

Saw a quote on the Steam WU forums from one of the people tagged as Dev on there (can't remember the name) that the Linux server is in the works and hopefully going to be ready by release. Guess they realised that its kind of essential for proper dedicated servers.

Edited by WUPlayer

I haven't read anything about the server being Windows-only either. All this Windows-only talk was about the client using native libraries for rendering and stuff and the Steam client. If the current WO servers are running on Linux, it makes more sense for them IMHO to modify the existing ones for WU instead of modifying them AND porting them to Windows, the server doesn't render anything graphical either. And I don't see why the server would need the Steam client to run, why add this complexity? People need a client to play, that's a given, a server is a means to an end, e.g. selling more servers, someone who is setting up a server has already purchased the client to play on it and is being verified by the client DRM, no need for Steam on the server. As logic would dictate that is.

And having the server require Steam is bad for security too. Often, if the Arma team I've been playing with is any indication, the team top officers are also server admins and share the password. I may give the admin pass to a trusted teammate on the internet so he can do admin work when I'm away. I would never give my Steam password to anyone for any reason.

Besides, making the server Windows-only will seriously hamper their proliferation. On online.net one can get a half decent server for 15€/mo and a good one for 30€/mo. But if you want Windows on it, it's an extra 30€/mo. Same at home, if you have an old machine that you want to run a server on, you will technically need a separate Windows license for this machine.

So I do not believe that the server will be Windows-only and require the Steam client to run. That's what I choose to believe until I hear something official about it and anyway na-na-na I can't hear you :).

Kind of my whole point in some of my other posts... Please give us this information Rolf.

Steam itself isn't an issue, there is SteamCMD

Most any windows server should be remote desktop capable for doing headless mode. That is not really an issue. I personally would just rather not run on windows because it is a needless extra fee.