Sign in to follow this  
Wurmhole

Server Specs - will it run on Amazon Free Tier?

Do we have any solid server specs yet?  I'm likely going to try using the AWS Free Tier and wondering if it is enough to handle an instance of WU.  My biggest concern is the 1GB of RAM.  I don't expect the server takes more than 30GB.

I have plenty of spare systems to run locally if I want, but would prefer to host this, so I can compare lag to what I get in WO.  Great way to prove out the need for regional based servers - we all pretty much despise the current hosting service.

https://aws.amazon.com/free/

Edited by Wurmhole

Just an FYI -DynamoDB went down over the weekend and crashed netflix , IMdb and quite a few other sites. They were down in excess of 12 hours. A lot of thier servers are run out of VA, so US ping times should be outstanding.

And just my own thoughts...even if it would run on it, I wouldnt do it. But thats just my opinion.

Edited by sunsvortex

those Amazon servers are gross I'd highly recommend against using them for something like this, I've got several fully loaded dedicated servers ready to deploy and I feel like the server will gobble up 32gb of ram like it's nothing.

• Like 1

From my observations, 2048X2048 single player server with 1000 animals needs about 700 mb of RAM.

Just keep in mind that together with developing this world required RAM can increase, but I doubt it would go above 1 gb in this simple case.

From my observations, 2048X2048 single player server with 1000 animals needs about 700 mb of RAM.

Just keep in mind that together with developing this world required RAM can increase, but I doubt it would go above 1 gb in this simple case.

Hey war, is the server DB ODBC compliant or is it handmade?

I just want to add that 1000 animals are nothing for a Wurm Server. The WO servers have a lot more creatures roaming around. Exo for example has 28k

Edited by Sklo:D

Y'know.... we could put a lot of questions to rest if we got the official figures from CC.

I remember Release having a good dose of creatures and a semi-decent player count... how much RAM/Processor/Bandwidth is that eating up?

On this note is there any actually limit on map sizes (I know only ones provided at release at 2048, but someone will work out how to do custom)?

But going on those figures a 32GB server should be easily able to handle Xanadu size, maybe even more, but if Xanadu is the largest map size possible then beyond 32GB would be pointless.

(For those not in the know 32GB's servers at good hosts with basic DoS protection (minimal essential for large game servers) can be had for 20-30 Euros.)

ok, it is worth a try then.  With private server games, I always assume the heavy lifting is on the client, where the rendering happens.  Thank you for the responses!

These are the specs I settled with for the main server for manawurm.

Intel Xeon E5630 x2
32 GB Memory
240GB Intel S3500 SSD x 2

Nice. That is actually a lot less than I expected. I suppose many Wurm players will also have made experiences in setting up Minecraft servers in the past, and apparently, Wurm seems to be way more efficient, so the same machine will hopefully run it just fine :)

In order to run properly - And this is me / my company hosting in AWS about 30+ services and servers and making use of a lot of features. - I'd recommend to NOT go free tier but a compute / ram heavy instance, such as Warlander has pointed out, RAM and CPU might become the culprit here. So the suggestion might be to look at compute optimized instances such as the following.

Instance Type - vCPU - ECU - Memory (GiB) - Instance Storage (GB) - Linux/UNIX Usage

c4.large 2 8 3.75 EBS Only $0.11 per Hour

c4.xlarge 4 16 7.5 EBS Only $0.22 per Hour

c4.2xlarge 8 31 15 EBS Only $0.441 per Hour

c4.4xlarge 16 62 30 EBS Only $0.882 per Hour

c4.8xlarge 36 132 60 EBS Only $1.763 per Hour

c3.large 2 7 3.75 2 x 16 SSD $0.105 per Hour

c3.xlarge 4 14 7.5 2 x 40 SSD $0.21 per Hour

c3.2xlarge 8 28 15 2 x 80 SSD $0.42 per Hour

c3.4xlarge 16 55 30 2 x 160 SSD $0.84 per Hour

c3.8xlarge 32 108 60 2 x 320 SSD $1.68 per Hour

So I know for some people these prices are steep but you want proper server, there you go. So with this in mind, you might get away with using general purpose instances but I would strongly suggest to have 4GB + RAM available for hosting this type of game. We are running 4 RADIUS AAA servers @company on 4 c4.2xlarge and they are smooth as butter. (RADIUS is very RAM and CPU heavy ~ we avg. around 6 mil clients per day and these instances are perfect and can handle it.)

Just beware there are a lot of hidden costs with Amazon that is not straight away aparent. I would suggest you to start at smaller instances and the bigger the community becomes the higher you can upgrade (click of a button on the AWS interface -> Change Instance Type) Make sure public canonical name is forwarded to your DNS provider and not the public IP as it will change if you stop an instance (== CNAME forward not AA record).

@Warlander, is WURM more RAM or CPU heavy? This would be nice to know.

Cheers,

Edited by Megachill

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are if I'm wanting to host a server for only myself and my girlfriend in the same house.  I was looking at the Amazon service, but I really know nothing about all this server non-sense.

I have an oldish, meh laptop I could also dedicate to the task, but I don't know if it would be up to snuff.  It can run WO, barely, but that doesn't mean much.

I just don't want to have to dedicate a whole lot of time learning how to work all of this out before I can even use WU.  Nor do I want to look at spending additional fees to run the game.  Both would defeat the whole purpose of the release for me.

Pristine's resource usage may be a better example than Release, actually, given that the server connections make it kind of the "backwater server" among the newest ones.

I'm just trying to figure out what my options are if I'm wanting to host a server for only myself and my girlfriend in the same house.  I was looking at the Amazon service, but I really know nothing about all this server non-sense.

I have an oldish, meh laptop I could also dedicate to the task, but I don't know if it would be up to snuff.  It can run WO, barely, but that doesn't mean much.

I just don't want to have to dedicate a whole lot of time learning how to work all of this out before I can even use WU.  Nor do I want to look at spending additional fees to run the game.  Both would defeat the whole purpose of the release for me.

Then you'll probably be totally fine hosting it at home on your own machine :) I wouldnt worry about it. You usually shouldn't even need to PORT forward anything since you and your GF are on the same network :) EDIT:: just make sure your Windows Firewall is not blocking anything. Or if LINUX (well then you really should know networking by now)

Hope this helps. It wouldn't hurt to read up on LAN networking and TCP+UDP/IP if you're not familiar.

Edited by Megachill

Instance Type - vCPU - ECU - Memory (GiB) - Instance Storage (GB) - Linux/UNIX Usage

c4.large 2 8 3.75 EBS Only $0.11 per Hour

Sure, shown how they do it that's nice, and what's $0.11, but there are about 750 hours in an average month, so a c4.large is about $82.50/mo :). I'm not going to make a business of it, so no way.

The cheapest is t2.micro, 1 vCpu + 1 GB RAM at $0.019/hour (in Ireland prices, $0.02 in Frankfurt), that's $14.25. That's already closer to an MMO monthly fee and I wouldn't mind spending that at all. But then I couldn't find any information about what they mean by 1 GB. Is it 1 GB free for my software after Win2008R2 has booted, or is it a 1GB VM, where you boot the OS then have your game server play on the swap file :).

If we want the cheapest 4 GB machine, the t2.medium, which would make more sense for a game server, we get $0.076/hour, which for me falls back into the "unacceptable" category with $57/mo.

And their free Tier is only a t2.micro, with 1 GB, for a year.

Strangely enough they don't list disk capacities. Is this one of the hidden costs you mentioned?

Sure, shown how they do it that's nice, and what's $0.11, but there are about 750 hours in an average month, so a c4.large is about $82.50/mo :). I'm not going to make a business of it, so no way.

The cheapest is t2.micro, 1 vCpu + 1 GB RAM at $0.019/hour (in Ireland prices, $0.02 in Frankfurt), that's $14.25. That's already closer to an MMO monthly fee and I wouldn't mind spending that at all. But then I couldn't find any information about what they mean by 1 GB. Is it 1 GB free for my software after Win2008R2 has booted, or is it a 1GB VM, where you boot the OS then have your game server play on the swap file :).

If we want the cheapest 4 GB machine, the t2.medium, which would make more sense for a game server, we get $0.076/hour, which for me falls back into the "unacceptable" category with $57/mo.

And their free Tier is only a t2.micro, with 1 GB, for a year.

Strangely enough they don't list disk capacities. Is this one of the hidden costs you mentioned?

Not as much of a hidden cost but yes, thats one part. You see there is a reason I am going straight away for the compute heavy instances. If you do not have the budget to host then you might want to do it with one of those cheap hosters you will surely come across when WU is released. Blackhat for example (or whatever these companies are called) - Do not be fooled, AWS and attached services is fully aimed at Enterprises and NOT private game hosters. You def. CAN use Amazon but be careful because your monthly bill will quickly grow.

Now take the example that you'll need a 4GB RAM server with at least 2 vCPU and about 60GB @ ~300 IOPS, then add the traffic (which they will bill you for), then add the HDD usage (which you get billed for), and then add the RDS DB instance you'd want as well, as probably most things are either stored in MySQL / Maria / Aurora / Oracle - so for a service that calculates to around 57$/mo will easily be 120$.

So if you have say the bandwidth at home and maybe multiple static IPs you might get away with hosting from home building yourself a nice little server that'll do the trick ;) Since you are already paying for the internet at your house.

====

Example: I have built a server in my house using an i7 5930k + 64 GB RAM on an ASUS MB (x99 deluxe) and have 4 SSD @500GB - This beast currently runs constantly 3 ARK Servers (quite stable with avg 80 players online) + Minecraft Server(s) 1x Ferret Business + 1x Hermitcraft Modsauce II + Space Engineers Server. At the moment the server sits at 19-25% CPU ~ 6-9 GB RAM used on Windows Server 2012 R2 - on a line that has 250 Mbps download and 40 Mbps Upload.

This setup runs quite smooth and has no issues thus far. Sits behind a well configured CloudCore Router from Mikrotik that has 16 CPUs and 64GB RAM. Hope this helps.

===

I guess what I am trying to say is, unless you have the budget to pay for an enterprise service, stay away from it. AWS is awesome, BUT

- It costs enterprise dollars

- you need to know your stuff, there is no 1 click solution - you'll get a root server and the rest is absolutely up to you, so if you do NOT know how to LINUX properly / setup even simple servers like Apache / Nginx, just don't

-- I don't mean to be condescending, just trying to help you avoiding headaches ;)

Edited by Megachill

Ok let's say you have.....

i7 4790k

8 GB ram

240 GB SSD 500+ 

1T HDD

90mbps/12mbps internet

Are you going to be able to play with a few friends over the internet? 2-4 players?

if not what would be the upgrade to play with those amount?  16 Gig ram? 2x 240 GB SSD?

We are not looking for FPS shooter quality here just enough to play and have some fun....

Ok let's say you have.....

i7 4790k

8 GB ram

240 GB SSD 500+ 

1T HDD

90mbps/12mbps internet

Are you going to be able to play with a few friends over the internet? 2-4 players?

if not what would be the upgrade to play with those amount?  16 Gig ram? 2x 240 GB SSD?

We are not looking for FPS shooter quality here just enough to play and have some fun....

For small group of friends even 1024X1024 server should be enough, and in this PC should handle that easily.

Are we going to be able to select the size of our server at the beginning of startup.  For a solo player or even a small group of friends 2048x2048 is a bit large.  Now If we could select half that size that could be quite fun :)

• Like 2

I don't believe we have server size choices.  Two premade servers is all Rolf has said for the start.

For me, I'm trying the free tier of Amazon first, to see how it runs.  I suppose this would be equivalant to the old netbooks.  I have one of them laying around too.  I can try it on the netbook and see what happens.  That will be a good reference point. Also have an extra couple of laptops that are pretty solid.  Something like 4 core and 8-16GB RAM, which I am confident will handle the server with ease.

I don't believe we have server size choices.  Two premade servers is all Rolf has said for the start.

For me, I'm trying the free tier of Amazon first, to see how it runs.  I suppose this would be equivalant to the old netbooks.  I have one of them laying around too.  I can try it on the netbook and see what happens.  That will be a good reference point. Also have an extra couple of laptops that are pretty solid.  Something like 4 core and 8-16GB RAM, which I am confident will handle the server with ease.

• Like 2

If you're going the Amazon Free Tier route, set up billing alarms. I'd be very surprised if WU will run on that without going over. And if you go over, you pay (though some instance types are excepted from this. Basically, know what you're doing).

• Like 1

No, seriously, we could REALLY use the resource usage from at least ONE of the live servers.  Would allow folks to plan ahead of time.

• Like 1