Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Project Macabre

Sunsvortex, y have big hunger for further develop, thats nice, but out of reality. For realistic grahic must start with new engine, almost everithing rewrite. in my opinion hyper-realistic engines are not good and not prepare yet for mmo. Today seems more engines comes with tools, which wurm devs do alone. So its easier to start. Its nice to dream about what y post, but its far and out. Most iportant for me are things, which are not see. So is there some documents or scheme for base wurmclient-server communication? Real implement of server site?

Edited by ftoz

When it comes to actual rendering everything depends on proper OpenGL usage, Java is fast enough to handle even very extreme rendering when it comes to CPU side (much, much faster than most people think).

Can y reveal, what engine y want implement into WU? rendering on CPU? Why?

Simplest way would be just increasing client "view" area, so server will send more data about distant tiles to client and client will render them - simple improvement of quality, but at the cost of additional bandwidth (and client GPU usage).

Please make this possible! Nothing breaks Wurm immersion faster than the draw distance.

Edited by Trake

Please make this possible! Nothing breaks Wurm immersion faster than the draw distance.

This cause another FPS drop. Y want it? Good luck with that

Edited by ftoz

And no Witch Hunter's with tracking/locate bonuses?

Working title in OP - Zealot - not going to have tracking bonuses per se, but will use tracking to hunt them down. Along with some other items. Were still working out witch. But zealot is next. One item of interest is using large nails to push into the witches footprint once you have successfully found them using tracking. This will cause dmg remotely and slow the witch.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

pI6GU0d.jpg

The second new profession, the Zealot, is based loosely on a set of early British colonialists. During the settlement of the new world, a group of people seeking religious freedom settled in the north east areas of the Americas. These people, known largely as puritans due to their extremely conservative religious views settled large areas of the north east including the town of Salem.

Conceptually

Zealots use tracking to find witches

Can see witches on their ingame map under specific circumstances.

Can have a limited number of spells available (All of which are specific to harming, locating, protecting others from witches)

Can use firearms (See Below)

Can create gunpowder (See Below)

Can incite a "Witch Hunt"

Can create "protective Items" to place on deeds to help protect them from witches

Gunpowder - Add Sulfur as a minable resource - create by combining salt,charcoal and sulfur.

Crossbow - re-purposed bow mechanic - timers are slightly longer than bow but are more accurate at lower skill levels.

FHJzDvJ.jpg

Firearms - Re-purposed Bow mechanic - High dmg, very long reload timers, essentially a one time shot before entering into combat. Dmg is extremely high, skill will be to determine hit chance. Weapons of this era (late 1400's to early 1500's) were incredibly inaccurate over even short distances so skill in firearms will be critical.

Examples Below

s4tHBAk.jpg

Invs37h.jpg

Revamped Witch

Edited by sunsvortex

Our group has finally solidified enough that its worth mentioning.

Myself - Networking, Server Admin, Art - (16 years IT)

Minna - Java Programming - ( 5 Years)

Anon1 - Java Programming - (8 Years)

Anon2 - Art - (5 years in various 3d modeling software packages.)

Its a good mix of disciplines across the board so hopefully we can make this happen.

Some quick notes on the hybrid pvp/pve system and other items of interest that have been discussed.

The way this is planned is that no player can directly attack another, however your pets can. So while you cannot go up and start hitting on someone or shoot them in the face with a hand cannon, you can sick your pet spider on them. Yes spiders will be tamable within restrictions, along with every other mob in the game. We want to have people that have control over large amounts of mobs and can send these to x players deed and attack it. They will use the bash mechanic that trolls allready have and once flying is out we should then be able to allow jumping over fences. Nothing says run like a giant 5 speed spider (yes youll be able to breed traits in them ) jumping over a fence chasing you down and sticking a straw in your abdomen for a nice wurmian cocktail :)

Pets will be the mainstay of pvp. Witch spells will only affect the surroundings, not a player directly with one exception. Some of the most powerful spells can cause death en masse for wurmians but these spells will be very difficult and very dangerous to cast. The reason for these powerful spells is that given the nature of WU and how updates work as well as the finite nature of any given server due to those issues means that there needs to be an end game of sorts. An end of the world type scenario that "could" happen.

To counter the extreme danger that a witch or coven of witches can manifest, we will have the Zealot which will be responsible for hunting them down and mercilessly killing them. They will have specialized skills and abilities that give them an edge in doing just that.(Read up) Part of being a Zealot is that you are the only character that can directly attack another player, however, only if that character is a witch.

Walls and structures will play a much more important role than what they do now in WO. Without walls anyone can send thier pets to destroy your buildings, farmlands , pets, npc's. Anything that isnt behind a wall is fair game and open season.

Given that anyone can come by and see a deed thats got no one home and there fore not able to defend it against would be witches and ner do wells were going to put in a setting that says nothing on deed can be dmged except between x and y time. This allows the player to set up a time when he or she will most likely be online and there fore able to more adequately defend the deed.

NPC's - yes were going to use them, and use a lot of them as they will play a part that will be unexpected by most players. They will require housing as well as a number of other items and will be able to be bred just like any animal. They will give bonuses to your deed based on where they are placed. As an example if you put one on a farm field, itll give a bonus to growth rate of the crops within a radius. Several type will be available and providing thier needs are met can have children. the child will grow over time to an adult and provide bonuses as well.They will also act as automation so you can put them to a task while you are offline, such as making brick, mortar, raking fields, ect ect ect.

Why use NPC's? - because we need them for witches - here is an example. Once flying comes out a witch will need to make a flying potion. In order to make it they will need to boil the fat from a newborn babe in a cauldron adding other ingredients and tada flying potions. So where to get the child? from NPC's of course. NPC's will be used often to signal impending doom or as components for spells.

So they are part of the Hybrid PVE/PVP system in that they will add value to your deed and loosing them will be a pain. If a witch decides they dont care for your deed and decides to set his pets upon them they will go after your npc's. Or the witch might sneak inside the walls and steal them (Only a witch can do this and only during the times you have set.)

Mobs will have all thier defenses lowered as we want to use mass amounts of mobs and volume will be the name of the game. A player with 70 FS and above with decent gear should be able to wade through a goodly amount of mobs without too much concern, depending on a lot of circumstances. itll take some balancing but its where we want to go with it.

So in short -  no one can attack you directly but they can do so indirectly by having their pets attack you. They can attack your surroundings, but not you directly. Zealots "may" attack a witch and only a witch directly.A witch "may" attack a zealot directly. Everyone can attack a witch directly, but a witch may only attack a Zealot directly.

Edited by sunsvortex

Server Info -

Will be hosted on the following RackSpace Server

32GB DDR4 RAM

• Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz
  • 1x 6 Cores
  • 2x 300GB 15K SAS
  • 4x 1GB NIC Ports
  • Dedicated Cisco ASA Firewall
  • Managed Backup with two weeks of onsite retention
2TB of outgoing bandwidth (incoming is free).

24x7x365 access to a dedicated support team and Account Manager who provide Fanatical Support®.

PijzKyo.png

As far as im concerned, these guys are the best in the business.

Edited by sunsvortex

Crime and Punishment

Just some things we have been discussing concerning crime and punishment. First we want to have that Salem feel here, so of course we want to add in 2 specific items - A Crows Cage and Stocks.

Crows Cage

CA1IsxA.jpg

The Stocks

y7yimq2.gif

So a player is accused of a crime. If he is a member of the deed where the said crime has been committed (or has been a member within the past 24 hours) then the mayor may choose to put the player in either a crows cage or stocks depending on the severity of said offense regardless of where the player is currently. Its up to the mayor to decide Guilt or Innocense.

If the player is no longer a member of said deed and the time limit has passed then the mayor can post a wanted poster for all to see on their deed. They can also offer a reward for their capture.

In either case the mayor has flagged the player as a criminal. Once this is done the player may be "captured" whether they are online or offline makes no difference. If a player that has been flagged a criminal logs off they leave an effigy. It stands still and does nothing. It cannot perform any action. Right clicking will give the name of the player and information about any outstanding warrants and rewards for capture offerings.

All one has to do is right click on the player or its effigy> capture, and it will be captured.(Effigy is placed in inventory) You can then take it back to the deed of your choice if the player has multiple warrants , and plant it. Once planted you will receive the reward if any.

Now the mayor can place the effigy in a crows cage or stocks for x amount of time (still working on exactly how this will be determined) and once this is done the player will be teleported to the appropriate venue and placed in them. The player even if logged out will still show and citizens of the deed can come by and pelt them with refuse (Dmged Meals for instance) during this time. The player will also be muted during this time so they can hear people giving them a hard time in chats but not be able to respond. Players in a crows cage or stocks will not be able to do anything until they serve out their sentences.

NPC's on the deed will constantly berate and insult the player.

There will also be one other item that can be used in special circumstances -  One may have the offenders tongue cut out -this permanently mutes the player. However this will fall under some pretty specific circumstances.

In order to have crime and punishment on your deed you must have at least 5 citizens and have either a Stock or Crows cage built on deed.

Wanted posters only last 1 Wurm Month and if the player is not brought to justice before then, they are considered to have gotten away with it and cannot be captured until another poster is in place and they have been reflagged as a criminal.

it will be possible to escape (with the help of another player).

Edited by sunsvortex

Server Info -

Will be hosted on the following RackSpace Server

32GB DDR4 RAM

• Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 2.4GHz
  • 1x 6 Cores
  • 2x 300GB 15K SAS
  • 4x 1GB NIC Ports
  • Dedicated Cisco ASA Firewall
  • Managed Backup with two weeks of onsite retention
2TB of outgoing bandwidth (incoming is free).

24x7x365 access to a dedicated support team and Account Manager who provide Fanatical Support®.

PijzKyo.png

As far as im concerned, these guys are the best in the business.

So you will be spending over $600/month, is that correct?

Caught a good deal - 500 and change per month. Not counting the initial DDoS setup fee.

Yeah its expensive - but - you get what you pay for. I dont want hosting issues, ill be busy enough getting other items done. Not to mention Ill have probably 2 servers for my Java guys to work on individually, plus a test server running on that one server.

Im expecting, once live, about 15 to 50 full time players. So its worth it to have the best hosting I can get. (most of those are DINK's (Dual Income No Kids))

Its also why I may be taking donations to help cover hosting costs. I need to hear back from my attorney on this first though.

Edited by sunsvortex

Caught a good deal - 500 and change per month. Not counting the initial DDoS setup fee.

Yeah its expensive - but - you get what you pay for. I dont want hosting issues, ill be busy enough getting other items done. Not to mention Ill have probably 2 servers for my Java guys to work on individually, plus a test server.

Im expecting, once live, about 15 to 50 full time players. So its worth it to have the best hosting I can get. (most of those are DINK's (Dual Income No Kids))

Its also why I may be taking donations to help cover hosting costs. I need to hear back from my attorney on this first though.

Wish I had that much money to burn like u do.

When it comes to American hobby budgets, 500 isn't really burning.

• Like 1

I want the game I want. Im putting a lot of work into it and putting some money into it. Its like any other hobby, golf, ect. you drop a bit of money into it and its nothing but a sink. But you get enjoyment out of it. And im sure that as long as my attorney clears what Im thinking about doing that all the players will chip in to help cover the hosting costs. I just need to float it for a bit, and that I can do, so im going to do it. I bust my ass daily and have for years....my turn :)

Edited by sunsvortex

Good luck Suns, that's quite the investment! Although, like you said, every hobby costs something.

Main issue I see is getting a good flow of players coming to the server, as even WO has issues with that.

Good luck Suns, that's quite the investment! Although, like you said, every hobby costs something.

Main issue I see is getting a good flow of players coming to the server, as even WO has issues with that.

TY :)

Most of the people that im thinking will come over and play are people i know outside of the general Wurm community. I talked to a lot of them back when it was first announced and they all loved the idea of a good macabre type setup. They just didnt care for the skill gains and such...the normal complaints. So after I told them we could speed it up to just whatever everyone thought felt good to them, they were on board hook line and sinker. Throw in some graphic upgrades and some assets and its all good :)

So hopefully here in a few months we can start looking at opening it up to people that want to take a spin and see what we have done.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Todays test of the Hybrid pvp/pve system. "Mob Fights" Really early test but a witch can summon mobs using their totem.

OScnwZL.jpg

Edited by sunsvortex

Todays test of the Hybrid pvp/pve system. "Mob Fights" Really early test but a witch can summon mobs using their totem.

Did you have any vids of actaul gameplay?

Nooo...too early for all that. This was testing the totem summoning the mobs. All it does is summon them. It still needs to have code to tell it how many to summon, which mobs to summon and to limit it to witch only. It also needs to remove components from inventory with each summon as well as make a roll each summon to see if the witch takes any dmg from the summon.