Sign in to follow this  
sunsvortex

Project Macabre

0WQ20jl.jpg

Once unlimited is out and we have source available, ill be doing a private server. I have been talking with a lot of people outside of the general Wurm community and they have all expressed interest in a more macabre type of game. Using Wurm Unlimited as a base im going to be modding it in such a way as to create a style of Wurm where skills are not the be all and end all of the game; where the feel of the game leans more towards SALEM, H.P Lovecraft, Hellblazer ect ect ect.

So exactly what does that mean?

• Initially it means graphics upgrades, to the extent WU can handle them. (Terrain)
  • The introduction of  two new character professions - Witch and Zealot
  • Greatly expand on Alchemy
  • New spells
  • Greatly expand on taming and its associated mechanics.
  • Perma Death -Burn witches at the stake to remove the toon from the game.
  • Hybrid PVP/PVE system in which no character can attack you directly, with the only exception being Witches. They can be attacked directly by anyone, but cannot attack back or initiate combat. (Assuming a permutation of the code can be done like this without breaking everything. Otherwise this exception will be removed and there will simply be no direct pvp between anyone.)
  • Expand on overall gameplay such as having reasons to build those walls. Massive mob incursions in waves not an overall high density of mobs.
  • At this point in time there are no plans to tweak skillgain upwards, however giving the server Epic curve is not out of the question.
  • Extensive use of Halloween mobs already present in WO, and later on adding more.

---------A bit later on---------

• New graphic models for clothing / armor,
  • Higher poly mob models and possibly char models
  • Expanded assets - Trees, Walls, Roofs, Bushes,ect, and New assets.

Now all this is of course based on a hell of a lot of assumptions -however - After speaking with a number of other interested people, enough to where I think its feasable to attempt this project, A few have offered to do some work on it so I thought I would post some basic info here and see if anyone would like to get involved. I really dont expect this to be very popular within the current wurm community, however there may be a few interested in it, so it cant hurt to post it.

If your interested in getting involved send me a forum mail and Ill give you some more info and an email addy for further information and questions /collaboration. Clearly not much can be done till release except get ready, so until then .

A bit more Info

Server hosting will be a very expensive but professional hosting company with full time 24x7x365 network and server monitoring. D&R second to none as no one wants to loose thier stuff they have worked so hard on.

Monetization - only enough to cover the cost of hosting -otherwise I just dont care about monetizing it - unless those that are helping to develop it -  all would like to, - but in that case Ill do a cash shop and they can sell stuff through there. Id rather keep it to donations and maybe a monthly 5 to 10 dollars or just whatever, like I said I dont care about monetizing it. Its just another layer of aggrevation.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 4

sounds interesting for sure and i love your name logo header thing

This is where WU is heading.  Becoming a platform, rather than just another game.  Designing our own worlds.  An ecosystem of sandbox development.  Libraries of creatures, building styles, preformed maps, Spells/abilities, items and whatever.  So many possibilities once it matures.

Edited by Wurmhole
  • Like 3

Although not my thing I do like your "Suns of Wurm" header/logo. Along that line I think "Project Vortex" would be a nice fit, since it also is compatible with your name as the front "Suns" is. Suns of Vortex even, heh. Best of luck on it all.

=Ayes=

Ty guys, but it was my son who actually came up with it. He was flipping through channels and landed on a Sons of Anarchy add/promo thing and said, you should do that dad, name your server Suns Of Wurm...so I thought hey that works. So all credit to Tristan for that one.

• Like 1

Looking at this announcement... Yes, Wurm Unlimited have BIG potential. :D Good luck!

Looking at this announcement... Yes, Wurm Unlimited have BIG potential. :D Good luck!

It will be you and other devs that make all of it possible. I want to do the asset creation, maps, models, gameplay, - making it possible for us to quickly import these items and get them on a live server is what will make this realistic for everyone. And the more people that can do this the better WU will be. SO its success lies in your hands, and as far as im concerned..its in good hands.

Make this happen for us Warlander, I think everyone agrees - you most certainly can do it.

And thanks for runnning through all the threads answering Q's. Its incredibly nice to see a dev do that.

Wurm can handle all of this this?  :blink:

Wurm can handle all of this this?  :blink:

Edit - Yes

Previous retracted thanks to Hussars and Warlander.

Im new to the Steam way of doing things.

Edited by sunsvortex

Sort of

Heres the big issues

Any graphics upgrade require Client Modding. If you run a private server (and this is how I currently understand it to work) people will use thier client to connect to your server.

Thats a big problem - If you want to add new graphics youll need to provide the general public with your Client and or some way to modify thier client.

There is another big issue of how updates will affect things since even if you manage to create a program that modifies clients then it very well could be over written at any time during any update.

SO for private servers we need a way to provide the end user with our client as I really dont like the idea of modifying thier client, too many issues associated with that.

AND we need to be able to manage updates - which in my mind is going to be CC reworking a lot of code so that when they update its less likely to break peoples Mods.

People are going to want to get those CC updates, but they are also not going to want to rework their mods every time an update comes out. I see this as being a very large Initial problem for modders and there really is no good solution for it. So its an initial limit for modders and it may be that I have to back off some of the things listed and wait for CC to address it on thier end and then I can address it on my end.

Now Rolf stated that everyone should be playing the same game, this is where I adamantly disagree. The biggest draw to modding is that I dont have to play the game as he or anyone else for that matter sees it. I dont want to play someone elses version, I want to play my version. So hopefuilly with enough of us starting projects he will see the value of official support in this area and not try to enforce his version of Wurm and instead support us in our efforts to create a Wurm that we want.

Lol.. I came out of retirement for this post (I like where the idea is going)

Keep in mind, WU will be released on Steam, so some of what you want to do could be covered by simply releasing Workshop content, which allows everyone to keep the same base code, but to opt into downloading additional/modified code. It'll add a layer to the client team's work, but it is something they are likely already considering/planning around since Steam heavily encourages Workshop support.

Good luck on the TC work, sounds amazing!

• Like 1

Keep in mind, WU will be released on Steam, so some of what you want to do could be covered by simply releasing Workshop content, which allows everyone to keep the same base code, but to opt into downloading additional/modified code. It'll add a layer to the client team's work, but it is something they are likely already considering/planning around since Steam heavily encourages Workshop support.

Hmm... Using workshop for modded graphics looks like very good idea IMO.

• Like 1

This is exactly what we are hoping will happen. But I think I saw a post where Rolf stated no workshop stuff...so I dont know. IM hoping it meant not now  but in the future, at least thats what I am hoping. Which is why i put most of the graphics stuff, in the "a bit later on column".

And welcome back from retirement :)

Quick Edit  - Yes its a good idea, I completely misread your post. This should work for the majority of items. Just need to do some initial checks to enforce certain mods being installed and then reject clients that do not have the appropriate mods.

Edited by sunsvortex
  • Like 1

Now Rolf stated that everyone should be playing the same game, this is where I adamantly disagree. 

This. What Rolf needs to realize is that he has a potential gold mine here. How he handles it will make all the difference. 

Hmm... Using workshop for modded graphics looks like very good idea IMO.

A lot of games have gone that way, using something like Space Engineers (or to keep it more in theme, Skyrim), where graphics and new functionality was allowed in the workshop system.  If you can make the client/server code work with the idea of becoming a bit more modular, you can set limits on what pieces you allow a workshop mod to "replace", and it gets really crazy in just what you can do with it.  But from my limited experience it is not a simple code change...

This is exactly what we are hoping will happen. But I think I saw a post where Rolf stated no workshop stuff...so I dont know. IM hoping it meant not now  but in the future, at least thats what I am hoping.

If so, you'll be doing manual modding anyway, so nothing really lost on your side :)  A couple of games also went this way, as a player, basically just make a "back-up" copy of your install to apply the mods to and do a manual application install for steam.  It's not difficult, just requires the server mod to be on the ball with trying to stay in-step with the core updates/patches.

::edit:: Struct the text in the quote, but the comment still stands :D

And thanks, been watching the forum since right before the announcement of WU, so figured if I was going to consider coming back for a bit, now would be the time.  Now just to find a way out of the area I was last in if I do lol... think I have a full inventory and a long swim ahead!

::/edit::

Edited by Hussars
  • Like 1

Indeed.

If your anywhere near the west coast you can have my knarr. Allready gave most everything away expecting to spend all my available time on WU. Its the only thing I havent given away at this point. If you want it you can have it. Just let me know.

Edit - West Coast Xanadu

Edited by sunsvortex

Indeed.

If your anywhere near the west coast you can have my knarr. Allready gave most everything away expecting to spend all my available time on WU. Its the only thing I havent given away at this point. If you want it you can have it. Just let me know.

Will do, thanks for the offer :)

OK warlander, I have to know what you think on this, dont avoid answering

Do you think the WU Client can, after you finish the new rendering system or even in the "near" future be able to render something on the order of this. Please answer, be vague, just let me know what you think might be possible using this quick vid as an example. Im not suggesting using Unity landscapes, just using the vid as an example. Just put me in the ballpark,.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=J6bnH_ZPYlU

Edited by sunsvortex

Dont expect to be able to reach that level, want to know how cloose to it I can get through the WU client. At least some kind of something, ballpark. Clearly alot is gonna depend on how well i do the graphics, but i would like to have an idea of how far is actually possible.

EDIT

Actually let me reword, it might make it easier. On a scale of 1 to 10  - 1 being the current state of Wurm Graphics and 10 being the vid posted above, where do you think the top out will land after the new rendering system?

Edited by sunsvortex

OK warlander, I have to know what you think on this, dont avoid answering

Do you think the WU Client can, after you finish the new rendering system or even in the "near" future be able to render something on the order of this. Please answer, be vague, just let me know what you think might be possible using this quick vid as an example. Im not suggesting using Unity landscapes, just using the vid as an example. Just put me in the ballpark,.

[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=9&v=J6bnH_ZPYlU

Not possible, but with all mods that Wurm could receive... We will see. There are surely some ways to get closer to this desired result.

Simplest way would be just increasing client "view" area, so server will send more data about distant tiles to client and client will render them - simple improvement of quality, but at the cost of additional bandwidth (and client GPU usage).

Naturally there are many other ways to achieve that, but this is the simplest one.

I think that this is more matter of server load than render engine possibilities.

Thank you.

And yes I have some ideas to squeeze a bit more out of it. Just was very curious as to what its actually capable of in its current state or its state upon release.

Thank you.

And yes I have some ideas to squeeze a bit more out of it. Just was very curious as to what its actually capable of in its current state or its state upon release.

When it comes to actual rendering everything depends on proper OpenGL usage, Java is fast enough to handle even very extreme rendering when it comes to CPU side (much, much faster than most people think).

• Like 2

IM hoping that a bit more work on shaders will advance it quite a ways. A well done shader reallllllllllly makes a difference. As well as rework the textures or maybe just add new ones.

Sunflow has a rendering system written in Java, and its really nice - photo realistic. So like you said java is not really the issue, its the use of OpenGL and writing a good shader aint no easy peasy thing.

Edited by sunsvortex

0mVfdPp.jpg

So the first of two new professions will be the witch. Conceptually its rather difficult to pinpoint a "universal" witch as every culture has them. Pop culture would also shape and form a large number of peoples mental image of what a witch should be, how it should behave and how it should look. We decided that we would probably go with some sort of specialization to try and cover the largest range of possibilities and allow the player to shape and develop the witch to thier own vision and liking. This is the reason for the sub professions in the graphic.

After some debate we have decided to go a bit of a different route with the witch, taking out specialization as was previously described. Instead we are going to be using the quest system to allow for all the different variations of witch that people might come up with. Conceptually its all the same youll just use the quest system to find knowledge about spirits, angels, devils, demons, great old ones and all manner of creature between. Once you have found these bits of information, youll be able to make a page for your Grand Grimoire. The GG will be an item you construct from creating pages using papyrus and hides, and is a collection of spells you have access to. Witches start with a base amount of spells but for any further advancement youll need to start constructing your GG.

Conceptually

Witches can use a large number of skills and are totally playable in and of themselves.

They are granted power through the binding of non corporeal entities (Spirits, Angels, Demons, Devils), The living and The dead.

Witch spells use components and these are consumed with each spell cast.

Witches can shapeshift as well as completely transform into other entities. Transforming is a permanent process and will be covered later. (Think  -Turning into a Lich)

Witches cannot create alliances, they create Covens.

Witches cannot follow a meditation path.

Normal aggressive mobs are blue to witches

Witches may tame more than one pet.

Witches use witchcraft, which is a re purposed combination of the religious, magical and meditation systems.

Witches can enchant items, however the enchants are very temporary

Witches can summon Constructs - think Pumpkin Head

Witches can summon any type of mob, however they may or may not be under the control of the witch.

Witches can bind spirits to living and non living things.

Witches can be burned at the stake which if done, deletes the character from the game permanently.

Witch spells, along with consuming components can also consume parts of the flesh causing damaging effects to be imposed upon the witch. The greatest of witch spells will have a flat chance of perma death upon casting.

Witches can be directly attacked by any player, cannot initiate combat, nor even attack the player that is attacking them "directly". They can however indirectly attack a player if the player initiates combat with them. (More later on the Hybrid PVP/PVE system)

This is the high level concept view we have been kicking around. Its definitely not all inclusive and youll be able to get more of a feel for the profession once the spells are fleshed out, which is what we are working on now; getting a decent conceptual list of spells ready.

Edited by sunsvortex