Sign in to follow this  
Heboric

Question for Freedom Vyn priests.

This is always hard to know for sure, but I feel like somehow casting isn't behaving properly atm. I seem to be capped at an upper cast limit of 75CoC for instance. At first I just put it down to a run of bad luck, but today I have been asked by someone else who seems to be having a similar experience.

So this is to check with the wider world if it's simply bad luck...or if something might be going on.

Edited by Heboric

For the past few days I have been having major issues as well.  80.77 Channeling, 65 SD, 100 Faith and 100 Alignment, 70+ql altar, 8% deed bonus as well as the "No armour limit" bonus and out of 20 casts- I got "You fail to channel" 8 times.  The highest cast I got was 54 and that was after roughly 70 casts. I had major issues improving a 22 cast.  (In that casting session I managed to cast a 4 :/ ) Then we went to our deed on Cele (from Xan), (lower ql altar and no deed bonus) first and only cast  took a rug from 53 CoC to 75 CoC.  

It seems to me that it's more than bad luck.  I have not had this hard a time or gotten this level of casts since I first became a priest  over 2 years ago.

Edited by Inspira

channeling seems broken for me. a 96.6 channeling priest can fail dozens over dozens of time to improve a lame 50 cast. dispell it and get a 101 right of the bat.

It seems that we have a better dispersion of the cast on blank items (regarding to the skill / characteristic / item QL), than on imping.

Some will say it's luck, but something feels off.

Edited by Odynn
  • Like 1

What I'm specifically trying to check is if people feel anything has suddenly changed within the last, say, week?

Not the past week, but I feel casting was nerfed in the process of allowing for new priests. Sorry if I come off as xenophobic  :lol:

• Like 1

I really hope it's not about a nerf. There is a lot tied up in developing a good priest, especially on Freedom. Maybe this is part of why no one can sell gems atm.....what's the point of spending 20-50s to gain a few points of channeling skill if said skill doesn't actually help you anymore?

I'm still going with a possible bug...because the alternative really is too dumb to contemplate.....especially with the announcements recently.

There have been many nerfs to casting over the years I have had my priest. It seems that adjustments are continually being made to make it harder to land higher casts. Having said that I have also experienced "bad days" where I can fail twice to improve a 20 cast or not get a cast above 60. Then there are also good days where three 90+ casts will land after just a handful of casts.

I've only been having this amount of trouble for the past 3-4 days.  Didn't have this much trouble last week.

There seems to definately be something broken on Xan (perhaps on our deed) in the last few days when it comes to enchanting

The average power dropped significantly and the failures to channel increased substantially

Quick example: 

3 weeks ago: casting session of 102 casts - failures to cast 3 - avg cast (on blank or after succeeding) 57 (highlights: 101, 92, 89 etc.) - and this is normal and not the only session like that

2 days ago: casting session of 42 casts - faliures to cast: 16 - avg cast (on blank or after succeeding): 26 (highlights: 73, 69, 54) even got powers of 4 7 and 9

The difference is far too large to be statistically explained by RNG alone

All these values come from the same priest, with enchanting bonus on deed, 60 faith bonus (on spell effects), no armor limit

• Like 1

Looks to be the same as what happened with rope making a while back, the median point on the bell curve got shifted down to make quality results that much more difficult.

The results are not random though, there is a distribution to the results, the problem is with "failed to improve" you can't tell what the actual result was.

On the difficulty subject I've heard both yes and not to whether the number of enchants on an item affects your success rate. Does anyone have a definitive answer and a citable source?

So are we looking at something broken, or intentional?

I have to say.....if this was intentional occurring at the same time they are announcing private servers where people will set their own rules so to speak....it would amount to a really dumb move imo.

And I'm one of those that has been arguing for the positive take on what Rolf is trying to do.

That would get much harder when ones legs were removed from the position you're trying to stand in.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's just casting... I have been at 99 nutrition for 3 days now and haven't used refresh for four days.  Every time I get down to like 10% food....it goes all the way back up and still 99 nutrition.

You will never know if casting is intentionally broken or not.  If channeling was nerfed, believe me, the players would be the LAST to know.

Just like it wasn't documented that Nahjo priests can no longer cast Rite of Death, Rite of Spring or Holy Crop (but they were previously on the spell list).

Edited by Wargasm
  • Like 1

My casting has been horrible the past few days, but I hadn't been casting much in the couple of weeks before to compare. Total waste of favor.

Good job with the data Thor, something definitely looks wrong with that.

If others could post their data too, it would really help solidify the theory.

As for what Inspira said...that looks borked to say the least :o

there's a thread like this every month, nothing is different or has changed

Channeling is just a bunk skill to begin with. Do you know how much money Rolf makes off of it between the money spent to buy gems/saccables and the premium time for a priest alt? Lmao.

The Vyn ritual is still on Nahjo, as been proved on Pristine on Sunday....

channeling seems broken for me. a 96.6 channeling priest can fail dozens over dozens of time to improve a lame 50 cast. dispell it and get a 101 right of the bat.

It seems that we have a better dispersion of the cast on blank items (regarding to the skill / characteristic / item QL), than on imping.

Some will say it's luck, but something feels off.

Got bored. Logged my recent batch of Recasts vs Fresh Casts.

It actually surprised me to see Fresh Casts doing so poorly, it must be RNG, because it doesn't correlate with my earlier data which showed both Recasts and Fresh Casts to be about even.

People are free to draw their own conclusions from the data. I'm going to keep adding to this new spreadsheet until I get bored of it. Dispelling is a pain though...

I just use my vyn to cook food now honestly. Just... cbf to cast these days really.

Got bored. Logged my recent batch of Recasts vs Fresh Casts.

It actually surprised me to see Fresh Casts doing so poorly, it must be RNG, because it doesn't correlate with my earlier data which showed both Recasts and Fresh Casts to be about even.

People are free to draw their own conclusions from the data. I'm going to keep adding to this new spreadsheet until I get bored of it. Dispelling is a pain though...

Yea sadly thats not so many casts to conclude anything but saying "both batches look pretty much the same" even though they are not exactly the same.

To answer to this thread;

Highlights; I've had a day when I land dozen 95+ power casts, had a day when I had THREE 101 power casts.

Hindlights; I've had a task to c+w cast of 90+ one item, spent 3k cordage ropes (of about 45ql, so its like 250 casts) on it and ended up with c94w101. It took me two days. I've had days when attempt to even land 80+ power just didnt happen.

Yesterday I wanted to make skiller Saw, with 90+ power. My decision was to keep all 80+ to turn them into c+w saws later, until I hit 90+ power coc. I made c81, c82, c84 and c86 saws before I hit c94. This took me about 2 hours of constant sac+cast chain queueing.

Its still beyond me how one day I can score so good, and another day I can score so bad.

But then again, to even "get a feeling" a 100 casts of same conditions is the minimum. Conducting THAT 100 times is valid dataset. But who can collect data of 10000 casts? Could "examine+cast+examine" all the casts and parse the event log perhaps for knowing first casts and recasts and power improvements / frown counts.

Dont feel like going trough the effort.

Despite it being very hard some days, there is days that do compensate the efforts I put in enchanting. Hard work results with good casts.

Over longer period of time I've established the sense of how hard getting like 95+ cast is. I dont take such orders... mostly because I feel irritated recasting on an item with 94 power cast on it... because every frown is possible "lost" 80-93 power that I would keep if the item would be fresh out of creation and to become either skiller or speeder.

Theres no shortcut to make more good casts without casting more, only way is to increase number of casts.

• Like 1

Excuse me while I log more data.

Edited by Dairuka

Handy tips for people doing this:

1: Exercise diligence. Failure to record data is devastating, and an issue persists that people have terrible memories and only start recording once they notice a bad streak - which can taint the data. Controls are also a must; if you're chaincasting, keep doing it. If you're wearing certain clothes, keep doing it. Keep that nutrition good and keep your village's enchanting bonus steady.

2: Statistical tests. If you're comparing two datasets on a pass/fail basis, this is a godsend; it'll tell you if your stats are due to chance (for instance, Thor's data - if accurate - is statistically significant. Dairuka's, however, is not).

Note: I've been privvy to a few tests like these and I'd advise against using data from anything other than 0.01 significance, lest we suffer the wrath of jelly beans). As well, the z-test is a little questionable on sample sizes below 100.

Welcome to statistics.
you're gonna have a bad time

• Like 1