Sign in to follow this  
drummerboyas157

Modding where to start?

Hello, I am really excited for wurm unlimited. I have done a bit of java coding, but still don't know much. As far as learning how to go about modding, specifically this game if it all turns out possible what would you all recommend to get started? I have no idea how to mod or what that would even look like, but I would love to dive into this game as a chance to learn. I hope to get a computer science degree, and so far I have learned there's not much experience programming while getting that... 

Hello, I am really excited for wurm unlimited. I have done a bit of java coding, but still don't know much. As far as learning how to go about modding, specifically this game if it all turns out possible what would you all recommend to get started? I have no idea how to mod or what that would even look like, but I would love to dive into this game as a chance to learn. I hope to get a computer science degree, and so far I have learned there's not much experience programming while getting that...

As soon as game will be released. I will do my best to help future modders as much as possible at the beginning (I started my Wurm "career" by developing Wurm tools, so I feel obliged to do that). In addition, I will try to finish Wurm API before game release, which will provide one uniform and easy way to access server files.

• Like 13

As soon as game will be released. I will do my best to help future modders as much as possible at the beginning (I started my Wurm "career" by developing Wurm tools, so I feel obliged to do that). In addition, I will try to finish Wurm API before game release, which will provide one uniform and easy way to access server files.

Awesome looking forward to it!

API sounds great ;)

Wurm Online is written in Java. That's the language you need to learn if you want to write mods for the game.

3D mines and/or water table I beg of you coding peoples...

I'll be working on implementing STEAM power (at least try to get this done properly) and then as part of that will have a go at a ship that runs off it (Cargo vessel or the like) - Steam should be still in lore and possible if you ask me. Also something that has been missing for a long time, is crossbows.

Awesome sauce guys.  I am so excited for this, for the new direction Wurm is giving and for being able actually participate in the changes.

TY Warlander for helping us all.

Wurm API part for generating and editing existing worlds is almost finished, I will release it soon if Rolf will agree to do that.

Right now I can only give some basic technical details - API is in a form of Java library which depends on Wurm utility jar to do the internal stuff without need to dive into (very complex) Wurmian tiles system. If you want to export map from already existing generator, you must write Java program to export it to Wurm-readable format.

• Like 7

I'll be working on implementing STEAM power (at least try to get this done properly) and then as part of that will have a go at a ship that runs off it (Cargo vessel or the like) - Steam should be still in lore and possible if you ask me. Also something that has been missing for a long time, is crossbows.

Could be done crudely pretty easily. Just have add a right click option to the ship called 'Fuel' that uses up charcoal/tar/peat/logs/whatever and 'powers' the ship for X amount of minutes depending on Ql and Weight that increases ship speed by Y.

Depends how easy it is to implement things like that. If crude additions are viable, I'll be making a whole bunch of mods myself.

I have a feeling it might be more complex though :s

Edited by Outlaw

Always wondered what format of a Grey scale does the Map run on since usually good 8 and 16 bit topographic editors are different beast, except for a few good ones

What would be absolutely awesome (given enough time ;) ) if I could figure out a way to replace the current 2d based tile system with a 3d equivalent voxel variant. I am afraid Java will be the problem here trying to achieve this :)

But hey Indie Voxel Farm licenses are only 295 USD these days so might start playing with these if it cant be properly achieved within Java. I would absolutely love it. And yes I know how much work this is. (Writing mainly in c++ / php / python) but why not give it a go on evenings spend and hour or 2 trying to do it. I've got ideas already.

What would be absolutely awesome (given enough time ;) ) if I could figure out a way to replace the current 2d based tile system with a 3d equivalent voxel variant. I am afraid Java will be the problem here trying to achieve this :)

But hey Indie Voxel Farm licenses are only 295 USD these days so might start playing with these if it cant be properly achieved within Java. I would absolutely love it. And yes I know how much work this is. (Writing mainly in c++ / php / python) but why not give it a go on evenings spend and hour or 2 trying to do it. I've got ideas already.

That would be interesting for sure. Would likely break a lot of existing code/features though.

If you've got the time and patience though, go for it :)

Non voxels maps are usually faster to make since you can make them with just Photoshop or Blender

Wurm API part for generating and editing existing worlds is almost finished, I will release it soon if Rolf will agree to do that.

Right now I can only give some basic technical details - API is in a form of Java library which depends on Wurm utility jar to do the internal stuff without need to dive into (very complex) Wurmian tiles system. If you want to export map from already existing generator, you must write Java program to export it to Wurm-readable format.

Nice!

One question from me: Will we be able to adjust everything in the server as we want if we have the java knowledge to do it? So can we change the server completely without decompiling and recompiling it from a reverse enginered source?

Edited by Sklo:D

Nice!

One question from me: Will we be able to adjust everything in the server as we want if we have the java knowledge to do it? So can we change the server completely without decompiling and recompiling it from a reverse enginered source?

Decompiling not secured code in case of Java returns code which is almost identical to original source code, so this shouldn't be a problem.

I guess first community project is make a modloader and a mod database :D

Edited by Webba
  • Like 2

I guess first community project is make a modloader and a mod database :D

Actually, this would be a very good thing. :)

• Like 1

Learning from Minecraft and standardizing the modding API from the beginning would be very good. I have bad memories of making mods work in minecraft before Forge.

Minecraft Forge is a modding API (Application Programming Interface), which makes it easier to create mods, and also make sure mods are compatible with each other.

I suppose someone could make a thread if anyone is willing to lead the project, I would but I'm inexperienced with java and so I don't think it would be right for me to. Perfectly happy to make and / or host a website for it if needed. And I now actually have a reason to learn java, I kept avoiding it since I didn't want to fix friends mod packs with buggy or incompatible minecraft mods :P

Edited by Webba

Learning from Minecraft and standardizing the modding API from the beginning would be very good. I have bad memories of making mods work in minecraft before Forge.

Minecraft Forge is a modding API (Application Programming Interface), which makes it easier to create mods, and also make sure mods are compatible with each other.

Edited by Yohanu

A poor example of a good API unfortunately. Minecraft never ended up with a good mod engine because frankly, most of the devs involved with them are inexperienced with that particular field.

I am already planning a framework (naturally it will be open source and freely available. It should take at most a week or two for a foundation with basic functionality.

What is wrong with Forge? I works really well for the person using the mods. If its so bad why has it for the most part become the standard? From my perspective as an end user the problems were that 1) modders couldn't agree on a standard mod loading API, 2) Minecraft updated in a way that was not at all convenient for modders.

I don't have any Java skill so I could be very wrong, I think what needs to happen is folks need to agree to use some kind of a standard mod loading process. My point in referring to Forge was not that it's an awesome Mod platform. It is that it works very well for end user and most people agree to use it. The key to success is that everyone agrees to a standard.

Edited by joedobo

I don't have any Java skill so I could be very wrong, I think what needs to happen is folks need to agree to use some kind of a standard mod loading process. My point in referring to Forge was not that it's an awesome Mod platform. It is that it works very well for end user and most people agree to use it. The key to success is that everyone agrees to a standard.

I have to agree, we need a mod loader.