Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Time passing

I am not savvy on all of this server stuff but i guess if you want to just play a single player game of WU time will not pass when you are not playing and have it shut down. I guess i need to figure out how all this stuff works, lol

Is there anyway to mod in a time passage thing so crops will grow in normal times while you are not playing? I know you can adjust the growing rate but i would rather figure out a way to have time pass when i am not playing.

Edit: the more i learn the more i know the mmo will be fine 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

couple things:  Find a cheap laptop or PC to run it full time, or host it at Amazon?  Also, I bet they have a way to link the passage of time to real time by release.

Well there is so much that it needs like...

• crops
  • animal birth
  • faith 
  • meditation 

i am sure many more but those are the big ones i can think of right off

Edited by Kegan

Amazon ftw.

got a link to that?

Edit: nvm found it

Edited by Kegan

Possible they could have it based off your computer's internal clock, however I can see that being abused hard. Not sure!

I have an old pc but i will have to figure out how to set it all up, lol

quoting Rolf: Time is a bit funky in Wurm. Some things is managed by server uptime, such as field and tree growth. Other things are governed by real time. You can set field growth time though. As demand for certain settings become clear after release we will add them.

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/130568-frequently-asked-questions-thread/?p=1342601

Yes, I thought Rolf's response to my question was a bit vague, and frankly it felt like it was something they hadn't even considered.

Creating and selling a previously server-based game as a single-player experience without planning for and accomodating how such a change will impact the base game mechanics is not very encouraging for the game's success.  These are the sorts of things that need to be worked out before a game goes live, not added in at some future date, as they have the potential to make the game entirely unplayable.

Edited by Karys

Aye, one of the things of WU I'm looking forward to if playing solo is being able to logoff for 6 months if i have to and come back to my stuff as i left it, something which as WO stands is a huge drawback for me.... 

• Like 5

Aye, one of the things of WU I'm looking forward to if playing solo is being able to logoff for 6 months if i have to and come back to my stuff as i left it, something which as WO stands is a huge drawback for me.... 

Agree. But then when I start imagining myself playing WU alone I see a drawback. One of the most interesting things for me in Wurm was going out to explore. Not that it happened too often with all the chores, the need to increase counters, the "where do I leave my horse for the week-end" worries. But exploring the land, seeing what other people built, seeing ruins everywhere, roads finished and unfinished, gave it a life that I doubt I will find in an SP game. If only Rolf would release a no-grind no-gauge PvE server...

re: Amazon. Do you guys have experience with them? Before this thread I wouldn't even have bothered googling for free game server hosting, because such a thing could no exist in principle. But according to what I have read so far, without drilling too deep into the fine print, is that they are offering to host a game server, for 750 hours/month (31.25 days/mo) per instance, without any CPU nor bandwidth restrictions, and with a Windows license included, all for free? Have I misread or have all our prayers been answered? :)

Specifically tweaking horse age and such may be a bit much at least for launch version, I'll grant the devs that... however..

A single "sleep, sweet server" button would rock, where if you press it NOTHING ages or advances.

So while my server is active, I still gotta check up on it at least every 3 days, doable even in the worst of times (only worrying about decay now, not other ppl).. means i'm playing more often than that.

But if i hit "the button", when I come back weeks or months later it's "as is".

I think that would solve most people's problems as a starter.

I'd imagine you could link it to your computers clock and run everything from that, much like how 'idle' games work.

re: Amazon. Do you guys have experience with them? Before this thread I wouldn't even have bothered googling for free game server hosting, because such a thing could no exist in principle. But according to what I have read so far, without drilling too deep into the fine print, is that they are offering to host a game server, for 750 hours/month (31.25 days/mo) per instance, without any CPU nor bandwidth restrictions, and with a Windows license included, all for free? Have I misread or have all our prayers been answered? :)

for 1 year and you have storage & RAM limits to consider.  If you run over any of the limits, you do get billed for them during the free year.  Still, a pretty neat offering they have to get you hooked on their services.  Even when you are paying normal rates, they are very cost effective, which is why they are the biggest.

Great posts guys, I myself wouldn't have known how to proceed in this fashion, this helps a lot  Thank you