Sign in to follow this  
stephenferes

Wurm Unlimited is not going to kill Wurm

Anyone who is quitting should send me their silver and treasures.

• Like 4

Anyone who is quitting should send me their silver and treasures.

Maybe.

I've already explained it a few times so I'll just say this: Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited are being offered to different groups with different needs. There is certainly some overlap (like existing Wurm players who always wanted to be alone anyway) but I suspect this will have little negative impact on the continuity of the community and will likely cause more new blood to trickle in anyway.

That is the cause of uncertainty. Two completely different groups. But the group, which is playing WU will also want to see some changes to the game. Changes, which will probably be very different from those, what WO players want. So when WU is a success, it will definitely start affecting how/where the Wurm as whole will head.. and most likely not to the direction, where current players would like it to go.

Just seeing the Wurm Unlimited announcement has actually peaked my interest in returning to Wurm Online after a 1 year break.

• Like 4

That is the cause of uncertainty. Two completely different groups. But the group, which is playing WU will also want to see some changes to the game. Changes, which will probably be very different from those, what WO players want. So when WU is a success, it will definitely start affecting how/where the Wurm as whole will head.. and most likely not to the direction, where current players would like it to go.

I somehow doubt that.... the majority part of the playerbase has had features nerfed/denied whenever the smaller subsegment has trolled the suggestions' threads long enough.  I just don't see that changing anytime soon.

This is the only potentially valid criticism I've read so far. I doubt this will bring about anything negative for WO but I won't deny you have a point.

I don't see how a 1 time Buy game is going to effect the development of Wurm Online....

The 25,000 People who payed 25 Euro's once for WU are going to have this huge influential say over the development of the game?

More so then the 5,000 Premium Sub's that have re-subbed multiple times for years?  Are actually part of the official sandbox, forums, community!

(This smash hit some of you are predicting, does not provide any type of re-curing revenue for wurm)

And thats the point most of us on the more negative side are making!!!  Its a one time buy, it will lure some of the subs away how many of them is yet to be seen but there will be some that leave to run there own private server....  They may come back after they bore or they may not?!?  But how many of these new players that try WU will actually say wow I want to play Wurm Online, I love the grind, I love spending an entire week just digging the dirt wall for my deed OMG wurm is awsome!!!  Get me a sub....  

I really doubt WU will lead to a bunch of new subscriptions....  I honestly believe more Subs will be lost then gained....

So while I no doubt expect to see a large 1 time influx of WU sales off the bat it will rapidly tapper off and with time the sales will drop off to minute amounts...  And yes Rolf will get a big influx of cash in the short term that he could use to develop the game and make it better which could then lead to more subs over time....

But if no development happens and rolf sits on the cash, I believe that because WU will have a larger impact on sub's leaving to create there own Private server, then on actually luring new subs to the game... that the sub revenue will likely decrease with time if no development is done...

But these are predictions, no one can know for sure what will happen but its silly to not look at both sides of the fence!  

Will this take enough subs away to kill wurm?  I doubt that....  could the short term influx of cash help wurm development?  Yes it could

Or could the WU gamble have a negative effect on wurm in the long term?  This is also possible!  

Could it kill wurm? Maybe 

Could it help wurm? Maybe

Does it feel like Rolf is gambling?!?  Definately!!!

• Like 1

I don't see how a 1 time Buy game is going to effect the development of Wurm Online....

The 25,000 People who payed 25 Euro's once for WU are going to have this huge influential say over the development of the game?

More so then the 5,000 Premium Sub's that have re-subbed multiple times for years?  Are actually part of the official sandbox, forums, community!

(This smash hit some of you are predicting, does not provide any type of re-curing revenue for wurm)

And thats the point most of us on the more negative side are making!!!  Its a one time buy, it will lure some of the subs away how many of them is yet to be seen but there will be some that leave to run there own private server....  They may come back after they bore or they may not?!?  But how many of these new players that try WU will actually say wow I want to play Wurm Online, I love the grind, I love spending an entire week just digging the dirt wall for my deed OMG wurm is awsome!!!  Get me a sub....  

I really doubt WU will lead to a bunch of new subscriptions....  I honestly believe more Subs will be lost then gained....

So while I no doubt expect to see a large 1 time influx of WU sales off the bat it will rapidly tapper off and with time the sales will drop off to minute amounts...  And yes Rolf will get a big influx of cash in the short term that he could use to develop the game and make it better which could then lead to more subs over time....

But if no development happens and rolf sits on the cash, I believe that because WU will have a larger impact on sub's leaving to create there own Private server, then on actually luring new subs to the game... that the sub revenue will likely decrease with time if no development is done...

But these are predictions, no one can know for sure what will happen but its silly to not look at both sides of the fence!  

Will this take enough subs away to kill wurm?  I doubt that....  could the short term influx of cash help wurm development?  Yes it could

Or could the WU gamble have a negative effect on wurm in the long term?  This is also possible!  

Could it kill wurm? Maybe 

Could it help wurm? Maybe

Does it feel like Rolf is gambling?!?  Definately!!!

+1

Relax guys, y'all forget another segment of the gamer population.

"This game rocks, wish it had an MMO vers... it does? Woohoo!" 

• Like 3

I'm torn. On one hand, I truly believe that Wurm Unlimited, with the possibility to host multi-player servers, could offer a more user-friendly experience: faster timers, better control over griefers, and so on. BUT, you're going to miss out on the grand scale of the economy and the social interactions that only Wurm Online can provide.

I think there will be a drop in WO subs initially, but I'm willing to bet that the exposure that Wurm gets on Steam will ultimately bring more players into the game. Some will stay, some won't... but in the end I don't think it'll be that much different from where we are today.

At any rate, the news has definitely made me think about returning to Wurm Online. I love the idea of Wurm Unlimited too since you'll be able to speed up the timers a bit, but I'd be bored to tears just being on a server all by myself. I like the history and everchanging nature of the regular servers, stumbling across ruins, scavenging, exploring areas that you only get to once or twice a year to see what has changed. I'd miss that on a private server.

• Like 1

Public Relations are an actual skill set... CodeClub AB is notoriously and hilariously awful at it.

This whole thing is infinitely funny to me, predominantly because I've been mocking their inability to communicate for years now. I miss Johan, but I always felt bad when he had to put out these kinds of fires.

Now that you say that.... CC has a golden opportunity for when WU launches....

Email poll on purchase:

Have you played the MMO version before?  [link to WO's website hint hint]

If yes:

Why did you stop playing?

What would bring you back?

If no:

Welcome aboard!  Thanks for checking it out, we hope you enjoy it, feel free to give feedback at [email or thread of choice].

• Like 2

My kingdom chat and the forums are full of haters hating on Wurm Unlimited. 

I could also address this to you in private as I aim my answer to you mostly.

But I am making it public anyway.

Because I might offend some people.

Its fun to offend some people.

Especially some specific number of people.

Read this idiom carefully;

Empty vessels make (the) most noise/sound.

Accompany that with... Very often people have no clue what it means what they just said.

Now... during my years in Wurm and also other games there has been announcements which people reacted in this particular way. I am confident I've reacted that way also, I am afterall a human being and very often I have no clue what it means what I am saying and the louder I am the less reason I have to even open my mouth.

I am yet to fully understand this behavior.

One thing I know... Those outcries dont last. The change comes and life goes on. When dust has settled you dont even remember who were speaking against things that "are now defacto part of things". Everyone just likes things as they are.

Yes, some ppl do get enraged and actually do Disband/Quit/whatever, my belief is that those people have a reason to act out so emotionally. Perhaps they needed a reason outside themselves to blame for quitting. Perhaps their contempt on something else was resembled with the loss of control when change happens that they attempt to keep control by choosing to quit. Its quite interesting to try figure out these things, but underlying message is that; they would have done the quitting eventually no matter what is the triggering reason. Better sooner than later, right? Lets allow ppl to do as they see best for themselves.

You and i have played a great game together Kegan over the last year or two but you know as i do that this new Wurm Unlimited will deprive the downed market on the online version greatly. If people can't market what they make then in truth the game becomes nothing more then another version of mine craft.

The thing is that's not WU itself downgrading market as we can see now. Scale sets for less than 300s, bulk items sales, less interest in buying anything as we might notice now, and bunch of silly guys that wants to buy everything not even half-price, but almost free. That's the consequence of people fear and artificial panic. Bunch of awefull guys is trying to spread out more fear among the players for their own profits, many of players atm are trying to make everyone believe that market is going to die on the day of WU release. 

From another side we have also guys that aren't interested in benefits from people fear. But they are also talking whole day long on chat about how's WO going to die. It's only talking, but it's also spreading anxiety thru the whole community. That makes people concerns about it, and they are starting to really believe in dark future of wurm, and they are starting to really believe in a totally nonsense that market is going down as well. 

IF people wouldn't care that much about WU release, and without fear just skip that news, like "Wurm is going on steam as sp with private servers... *Yawn* i don't care", our gamelife would be the same as it was, so as the market. WU itself can't affect WO market in any way. Stupid panic, fear, some benefiters, and talking on chat are going to do so. If people would take it easy, not like bunch of insane cows, nothing would change in WO's market. 

• Like 1

Good points Alkhadias.

The only problem I really see is that the Wurm players are a small one , new things like this will either just divide up people even more reducing online server population and in the long term if player numbers doesnt rise , the shutdown of some of the less played servers.

But I really think this is inevitable.

The economy failure is just one part of the problem. The biggest reason people are complaining, Is because they have waited for years for this game to be fixed, And it hasn't been. And Instead of a surprise new client, We got a big piss on you message instead.

And that's all there is to it. People feel betrayed because they have been ignored, And not given their moneys worth.

You can try to predict the business models success chances, And dream that somehow that game is going to lure people here, Which it is not designed to do.  Or just bury your head in the sand and hope for the best.

But the problem is that the damage is already done. Years of ignored bug reports and suggestions, Topped off with a complete disregard for the communities wishes and needs, By releasing something that spits in the face of every subscriber.

And as a half assed afterthought, They just casually mention, Oh yeah we working on a new client.  Really?  Show it to me, Because I don't believe anything you say.

It's not about money, Or their business future for most of us, It's about being used and thrown away like we don't matter.

As for WU people requesting changes....

Most of the changes one can expect requested are likely to be solved on one's private server, that is speeding the hell out of stuff, leaving a macro making bricks, that kind of grind-softeners.

And if all goes well, out of every 50 mods at least one has to bring something of value that can be slapped onto WO's code.

I was thinking the 

As for WU people requesting changes....

Most of the changes one can expect requested are likely to be solved on one's private server, that is speeding the hell out of stuff, leaving a macro making bricks, that kind of grind-softeners.

And if all goes well, out of every 50 mods at least one has to bring something of value that can be slapped onto WO's code.

I was thinking the same thing mod-wise.

That seems to be what a lot of game devs are doing nowadays. 
Such as with alpha releases, Not only are people paying to troubleshoot and bug squash knowing everythings going to get wiped... 

But with mod support, every once in a while the devs with full authority to do so simply pluck the basically free development being done on their game for them to add to the game.

WU may see a drastic increase in development simply by volunteer modders getting their creations commandeered, but will perhaps actually indeed bring in much needed funds for further development as well as expose others to the game.

Weeell... a good mod, let's say something small, someone cracks the code to move animals between servers...

In monetary terms, that's a good chunk of developer dollars coming in.

Add enough modded good features for freebies, you eventually get a game that has the code value to cater to more and more kinds of players.

New artwork too... say that 3 crate ship we all want, someone codes it, does the art for it, WO gets it... that's less dev time needed for that specific player request... 

Penny saved is a penny earned kind of thing.

Alpha pre-releases with an emphasis on in game mod hosting is what A LOT of newer games are taking (huge) advantage of.

See Ark Survival for example.... They're getting free work for free -- and the players are paying to do it.

Genius.

• Like 1