Sign in to follow this  
stephenferes

Wurm Unlimited is not going to kill Wurm

My kingdom chat and the forums are full of haters hating on Wurm Unlimited. Saying, "R.I.P Wurm" or "Gonna disband my ten deeds" makes me mad. Yes, you have your own opinion, and I fully respect that. But saying it in a certain way that makes it sound like no one should play anymore is upsetting for many reasons. First, it discourages new players into playing the game. If I was new, and everyone thought Wurm wasn't going to be around in about a month or so, I would just uninstall it. Second, and I'm sure others think this, but how do you think the devs think? Yes, I know they listen to feedback and try to improve the game, but this might be the worst crictism ever. They announce it, and players are just insulting the devs who put a lot of time and work into the game.

My opinion is just let it happen. If Wurm Unlimited turns out to be a flop and half of the servers shut down, well, guess I was wrong and you were right. If it brings in new players, yay! They now have a little more cash. And they can then use that money to improve on both Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited.

Thanks for reading my opinion on the matter, and I apologize if I offended anyone. Have a great day!

• Like 4

You know what also discourages new players into playing the game? Wurm unlimited.

• Like 3

All the threats of quitting WO and not paying premium for WO because of WU is not going to help draw new people either, Theshrike. In fact, if they come here to read the forum section for WU, they will see these things. Not only, they see them on Steam itself because many didn't limit their rage-quits to here. 

Are we going to debate this for the next month?

I think we all have our own views on what we think will happen and no one is going to change what we think but the truth is no one knows and will not know till after the release comes and it has had some time to level out after the new has worn off. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 3

All the threats of quitting WO and not paying premium for WO because of WU is not going to help draw new people either, Theshrike. In fact, if they come here to read the forum section for WU, they will see these things. Not only, they see them on Steam itself because many didn't limit their rage-quits to here. 

So what? These forum topics and steam posts are also a result of WU. You can't just pretend only the good effects exist but the bad ones are somehow unrelated.

Edited by Theshrike
  • Like 1

In fact, if they come here to read the forum section for WU, they will see these things

Get your facts straight before youre posting ! This isnt the WU subsection....the rest of your posting isnt even worth responding to

Edited by Galadhel

Get your facts straight before youre posting ! This isnt the WU subsection....the rest of your posting isnt even worth responding to

http://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/forum/252-wurm-unlimited/

Facts.

• This is the same online forum. forum.wurmonline.com

I can see this topic in the Recent Topics box and it has Wurm Unlimited in the title, which can draw here.

This particular post is in this thread in Town Square. There are hundreds of others are in the WU subforum and quite a few on Steam.

So what? These forum topics and steam posts are also a result of WU. You can't just pretend only the good effects exist but the bad ones are somehow unrelated.

True. Which is why I have been posting suggestions to the devs for making WU truer to WO and even saying if you want to do X, you need to do it in WO. There are things you cannot do in WU simply from the 1 character per steam ID restriction. IE, no bridges and the best spells. If people want these, they have to come here. You draw people in with the good. You run people off with the bad. I, for one, don't want to see this game die, even though I ###### about it often enough. Bitching or no, where am I spending my free time?

Do i even have to draw you a map of what you yourself posted ?

Ok, lets get it on:

In fact, if they come here to read the forum section for WU, they will see these things

Exactly ! This forum SECTION is the Town Square, not the WU-Subsection

Edited by Galadhel

Do i even have to draw you a map of what you yourself posted ?

Ok, lets get it on:

Exactly ! This forum SECTION is the Town Suare, not the WU-Subsection

Yes, please do. Show me where a person looking at the front page cannot see the rest of the forums and are unable to interact with them to read other things about Wurm.

Oh! I see! They are ONLY going to see this thread out of the entire forum! Genius!

Edited by Audrel

Seems like you somehow missed the quote *LOL*

I didnt evn say those persons (new players) cant come to this section of the forum, so pls stop putting words in my mouth !

Thats not even the point though...the point is, that Ive pointed out that you were reffering to the wrong forum section...admit it already so that we both can move on.

never mind, ive moved on already...

Edited by Galadhel

You are right. I am so stupid. They would not possibly ever click on any of the other topics and would surely ignore the Recent Topics on the top right, even the ones with Wurm Unlimited in the title. I really don't know what I was thinking when I thought that people being pointed here from other MMO News sites or Steam would possibly ready anything anywhere else on the forums but that one subforum. I sincerely apologize for not thinking rationally. Please continue to carry on saving Wurm Online by trashing it everywhere possible.

• Like 1

I dont know what you think either, but im pretty sure you didnt even read/comprehend my previous posting

Seems like you somehow missed the quote *LOL*

I didnt evn say those persons (new players) cant come to this section of the forum, so pls stop putting words in my mouth !

Thats not even the point though...the point is, that Ive pointed out that you were reffering to the wrong forum section...admit it already so that we both can move on.

I am talking about everywhere. But yes, you are right. This thread is in this spot only. Not everywhere.

You know what also discourages new players into playing the game? Wurm unlimited.

/me mops up all the tears

Ofcourse this will not be the end of Wurm, just like the previous 50 times wurm 'evolved'.
Every time something bigger than a graphical update comes along the same crowd stands up and loudly prophetizes the end of wurm.

Yet It's also this same group that forces our beloved game creators to resort to things like the challenge server and WU.
If any such big change would be introduced in the current WO servers all hell would break loose, sending aforementioned group into a quasi-autistic frenzy.

For some people it's just really hard to cope with change.

And change is what will happen to this game.

Wurm has been a project in development from the day it was created and I doubt we are close to finalization.
I think it is pretty obvious Rolf would like to expand on the pvp side of this game, but with this outspoken group of 'conservative' players it's hard to implement anything like this.

That's why the challenge server was introduced, to test out new ideas and to attract a more 'progressive' crowd of people, not afraid of moving forward with this game.

But with the current game state and community it's difficult to attract the so very needed new players to keep this game alive.

So a different approach was needed which comes in the way of WU.
WU will:

1. Introduce wurm to a large group of new players, possibly also luring them into WO.

2. Generate an amount of revenue which can be directly invested into WO. (finances and money-flow seems important to a certain group of players)
And most importantly:

3. Give players the possibility of creating their own perfect version of wurm. From which then ofcourse elements can be adopted into WO.
Instead of using the resources of Code Club AB and having to go against a group of conservative players, they can let others do the work for them in a free environment.

It is a very smart way of finding out what exactly the community would like to see content-wise without having to do any of the work / taking any of the risks.

Well, I just reactivated my forum account to actually voice my own opinion about Wurm unlimited.

I personally think that this is exactly what will make wurm survive long term , sure a lot of people might get irritated and even nervous if players starts jumping off the online servers in order to play on private servers , however we have to remember that this also makes it quite possible for the game to quickly disperse to many thousands more players without the need to pay for the servers upkeep constantly (since it's player provided) and also seems to adress some of the flaws that Wurm has :

*Skill gain : Some people love the "slow" gain , other people loathe it. Being able to tweak this to a group of players preferences is definitely cool.

*Being able to host your own servers : Your laws , less ######. Basically if another player is not following your private servers rules you can just block them from playing on your server ( I hope ).

*Create your own maps.

I perfectly understand all those people who have dedicated the last 10 years off their lives since old Beta to the current version of the game and feels like they "loose" something "IF" people starts moving over to Wurm unlimited and not playing on the Wurm Online servers anymore, but then again you have to remember that this is only a game and it's not a real life investment even though it's entertaining and fun...

• Like 1

I guess Galadhel just cant comprehend how someone might make an appeal to the wurm community in the town square, even if it was in regards to their actions in another subforum.  I would have thought it was rather obvious, and I agree with the OP entirely.

If you keep bashing the WO game here and elsewhere the only thing you are ensuring is that they play WU only.

Edited by Uberknot
  • Like 5

I guess Galadhel just cant comprehend how someone might make an appeal to the wurm community in the town square, even if it was in regards to their actions in another subforum.  I would have thought it was rather obvious, and I agree with the OP entirely.

Guess again, cause youre entirely wrong

If you keep bashing the WO game here and elsewhere the only thing you are ensuring is that they play WU only.

First off all of these topics will be washed away in a month when WU is going to be released, so most probably any people starting to play WU wont ever read these threads.

And then theres nobody actually bashing WO on this thread nor on any other of the threads regarding WU. The "bashing" as you call it is all about WU and what its (probable) consequences will be

Are we going to debate this for the next month?

I think we all have our own views on what we think will happen and no one is going to change what we think but the truth is no one knows and will not know till after the release comes and it has had some time to level out after the new has worn off. 

You and i have played a great game together Kegan over the last year or two but you know as i do that this new Wurm Unlimited will deprive the downed market on the online version greatly. If people can't market what they make then in truth the game becomes nothing more then another version of mine craft.

• Like 1

I've already explained it a few times so I'll just say this: Wurm Online and Wurm Unlimited are being offered to different groups with different needs. There is certainly some overlap (like existing Wurm players who always wanted to be alone anyway) but I suspect this will have little negative impact on the continuity of the community and will likely cause more new blood to trickle in anyway.

I have seen actual horrible decisions nearly kill Wurm off, like the Home server invasions and then subsequent nuking of Home servers. That was actually scary. This just feels like a good decision, both as a prospective consumer and from a business perspective, and barring a few changes I would have made to take advantage of some of the possibilities this opens up (modding...) I would have done this sooner.

• Like 1

There's so much hate from both sides of this issue and it's a shame.

Unless you are a completely immature child you should be able to understand and respect both views on this. I believe this is why the community is divided

1) Suporters genuinely believe this will be good for wurm online and expose Wurm Online to potentially thousands of new players.

My opinion: they will play WU where the game is enabled in way to instantly do whatever you wish, no waiting. Once they try the online version they will be turned off by the slow skill grind and go back to WU.

2) Supporters believe that over time people will trickle in to the online game.

My opinion: I would be stupid to think that if 10,000 people tried WO that not one person would stay so of course this is true. WO doesn't have a large community as it is and a majority of vocal players are already planning an exodus to WU citing no more subscribtion fees etc. So as of October 21 Wurm Online will lose players. It may rebound with 10,000 by the end of the month but for sure as of that day there will be fewer players here.

3) WU gives people who have been burned by griefers a definite safe place to play, who can blame them for leaving?

My opinion: If it were me I would want to leave too. Still the fact remains...fewer people playing Wurm Online.

4) People who cannot stand the slow grind or simply don't have the time will now be able to play a version of wurm. Players will return that have long left.

My opinion: Of course it will but they won't be playing wurm online. Wurm unlimited will not encourage them to play the online game.

5) Alliances, groups of friends and families and all the rest will finally have their own private sandbox, which is a wonderful thing really.

My opinion: But they won't be playing wurm online.

Every player has their own reasons for playing Wurm and not everyone plays for the interaction with the community.

I would not enjoy wurm in a stand alone game and wouldn't want to invest time playing on a private server that could just go belly up at any time without warning. I've no interest in hosting one either.

I can't imagine me spending months and years developing a village that no one would ever see. And unless WO picks up many new players that actually stay that is where this game is heading.

That is my opinion and I don't see anything wrong with posting it. As the OP stated: Hope it didn't offend anyone