Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

News #77: Wurm... Unlimited!

Nowhere near that.  1/4th maybe, and a decent amount of time.

Unless you pay for someone else to run your server - Which only makes sense if you live in a crappy area for internet or don't have the PC(s) to handle server(s)

I agree - where has this original poster been? Private servers have been a thing one can do right from their personal computer since windowsXP --- all you need is a static IP or a DNS service to route traffic to your IP....max $50-100/year

• Like 2

500e a month !!!! ....come on guys i know of a few German companies that do them for £20 per month and that's for 5 players....adding more players works out at £4 extra per month.

Should be very easy and cheap to charge £4 per month per player.

If a player drops out you just scale down the size, not very hard to do. Hell even if you charged £5 per month per player it would STILL be cheaper and you would have a buffer zone of extra cash to fall back on if players leave.

• Like 1

-snip-

Congrats, you have proven my point. Nowhere in all those patch notes was the Xanadu creature spawn bug even mentioned.

Were you even reading what I wrote at all? Or are you still just arguing for the sake of arguing?

Yet another light blinded fool.

Ever hear the saying "cant see the forest for the trees"?

It fits in quite well here in these forums.

Lol

Edited by Steeloxide

500e a month !!!! ....come on guys i know of a few German companies that do them for £20 per month and that's for 5 players....adding more players works out at £4 extra per month.

Should be very easy and cheap to charge £4 per month per player.

If a player drops out you just scale down the size, not very hard to do. Hell even if you charged £5 per month per player it would STILL be cheaper and you would have a buffer zone of extra cash to fall back on if players leave.

Good luck because there will be good free servers as well.  Don't forget there are people much $$$ who do play and will host their own servers...

I think steel that all other people who are not your opinion are fools.

Correct me if Ian wrong!

http://steamcommunity.com/app/366220/discussions/0/517142253876397911/

Now I understand, your Jdeedler. I am sorry, you will have to get your kicks elsewhere, I don't argue with children.

You will be expressly ignored from here on out.

Edited by Steeloxide

it's better to wait and see how WU affects WO. Everything else is just pure speculation at the moment.

It might completely squash WO. It might not affect WO at all. Or it might actually bring more players to WO. Nobody actually knows at the moment.

Mix of both, and that's where location matters.

Computers actually burn LOTS of power, so processing power is quite a major factor in costs.

I can imagine it now. People shoveling lumps of coal into the side of their computers then using a bellow to crank the heat up when they want to play a CPU-heavy game. :rolleyes:

Stocking up on bags of coal so you can run a WU server for a day.

(I know what you mean really).

Edited by syncaidius

it's better to wait and see how WU affects WO. Everything else is just pure speculation at the moment.

It might completely squash WO. It might not affect WO at all. Or it might actually bring more players to WO. Nobody actually knows at the moment.

I can imagine it now. People shoveling lumps of coal into the side of their computers then using a bellow to crank the heat up when they want to play a CPU-heavy game. :rolleyes:

Stocking up on bags of coal so you can run a WU server for a day.

(I know what you mean really).

Oh come on man, get modern already!

We pump diesel into servers =P

Oh come on man, get modern already!

We pump diesel into servers =P

nah just need water ;)

I will be poised and waiting to give Wurm Unlimited a negative review as soon as it releases.

My main points will be:

1. Developers and development is lazy and fragmented. (New features are often half baked and many are left uncompleted for years, or simply not completed at all.)

-> small indie team, what did you expect ? lol I think they have done a wonderful game for this ammount of devs

2. Game breaking bugs are left untreated even if said bugs drive paying players from their game.

-> there are no game breaking bugs. and when someething happend it was always fixed very fast

3. Game is the epitome of grinding.

-> then dont play it lol. Beside of that you can change everything in WU, so make it less grindi

Last but not least you are indeed whining about a game that is not even released. I guess wurm is nothing at all for you :lol:

uhh nope lol

1. plenty of small indie teams make less broken, more balanced games with completed features, fully worked out concepts, and working mechanics with continued support for balance, bug fixing, and necessary design changes

2. yes there are; memory leaks, desync, players glitching through walls / mines / the game world itself, completely unacceptable performance (ie. <30 FPS on i7 4790k, GTX 970, 32 GB RAM), Epic still isn't finished (Valrei, the curve still doesn't even work properly for some skills, especially for skill gain)

3. the only issue here that could be fixed easily by the players, but this still doesn't help WO players

it doesn't help to leave the game broken and advertise it, it's an insult to those of us who have been paying and playing and asking for fixes and can't even get kingdom titles to work properly (again), yet money is poured into WU when the base game is in a state of disrepair that no sane gamer would pay for (see point 2 above)

I would fully support the dev team if the game was in a state that was marketable and acceptable to sell in 2015, however the lack of support, updates, and documentation and the broken state of the game are not marketable or acceptable; players don't play the game to develop it themselves, they play it to play it

uhh nope lol

1. plenty of small indie teams make less broken, more balanced games with completed features, fully worked out concepts, and working mechanics with continued support for balance, bug fixing, and necessary design changes

2. yes there are; memory leaks, desync, players glitching through walls / mines / the game world itself, completely unacceptable performance (ie. <30 FPS on i7 4790k, GTX 970, 32 GB RAM), Epic still isn't finished (Valrei, the curve still doesn't even work properly for some skills, especially for skill gain)

3. the only issue here that could be fixed easily by the players, but this still doesn't help WO players

it doesn't help to leave the game broken and advertise it, it's an insult to those of us who have been paying and playing and asking for fixes and can't even get kingdom titles to work properly (again), yet money is poured into WU when the base game is in a state of disrepair that no sane gamer would pay for (see point 2 above)

I would fully support the dev team if the game was in a state that was marketable and acceptable to sell in 2015, however the lack of support, updates, and documentation and the broken state of the game are not marketable or acceptable; players don't play the game to develop it themselves, they play it to play it

uhmm yes ,i can do this all day long ^^ lol

1. and that take always month or in some cases as long as the wurm team ;)

2. i got more memory leaks and lags and deysncs on really great so called "full prise titles". thats no gamebreaking "bug" i think you play epic only where this matters - i dont know. personaly i cant glitch through walls and mines anymore... dont know what you try - exploiting like hell ? then report this to the devs. cant see an actual forum post about this and i bet there would be more crying if you could do it so easily. i think its pvp only (and we all know that this group is to small to count ;)  ) kingdom titles... really ? i was glad the fixed actual real gamebugs (btw - very fast lol )

3. i was just giving an advice :)

And again, its not broken (unplayable) and completly normal for the team going to the next stage. i always wonder when someone is calling WO "state of disripair" "nobody is paying for this" and similiar things like that and the same persons playing and paying premium for mostly years. When this game is so bad, why do you play it ? no, please dont answer.

in the other way it is completly useless to argue about it anyway beacuse they have decided it allready and WU will come

• Like 1

Good luck because there will be good free servers as well.  Don't forget there are people much $$$ who do play and will host their own servers...

Look at minecraft for a example, They have free servers everywhere.....Yet I use to co-own one that brought in over 10k a month without advertising.

one of my PC's could easily run WU for more then 100 players at a time, without lag (if there within the U.S, Can't speak a lot for others)  and so could many, many others.

not to mention this is GOING to attract a TON of companys that host servers (and likely the person that use to run are old server)

People can/will easily be able to make money off it.  if people like a server, It's easy to get donations rolling - especially if you give them cosmetics, benefits of some type, faster gain or something - anything.  And wurm is, literally, the perfect place for this.  Now I don't know how well we can manage them yet, but if we were able to "mod" it.....Good god I can't tell you how far this would go.

Sure, there will be AMAZING free servers, I'm positive on that.  And there will also be AMAZING free /pay for cosmets/even sub servers.  as what happens to all games of this type.

and as someone who's known on this game to spend 1000$'s of dollors, A little payment to a server is a joke.

I just hope it's not so good everyone will leave WO - I do really believe this will bring more players here, and not make WO dead.

• Like 2

1. and that take always month or in some cases as long as the wurm team

LOL

1. do you even know how long it takes to make a game, and then how long after it takes to get balance right? you do realize that ALL multiplayer titles that actually try for balance have regular (ie. weekly) balance updates, right?

2. EA, Activision, Ubisoft, Konami, etc. have no respect for the video game industry or for video games as an art form, thus their products (keyword products) are not a valid comparison for this reason - see literally any game critic's content regarding the state of the industry in 2014 to see what I mean

it is objectively broken and borderline unplayable, just because the game industry (mainly AAA publishers) has trained some gamers to accept unfinished, unpolished, broken, unbalanced, and/or otherwise inferior products does not mean that they are right - see: SimCity, Battlefield 3, Battlefield 4, Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed Unity, Batman: Arkham Knight, any post-MW1 Call of Duty

lastly - and most importantly - stop being a fanboi

you are right, im a fanboy because i like wurm ? then.. i am haha. just writing some facts. for me and prob alot of other wurmians everything work as expected and we enjoy this game. so.. if we enjoy its not broken, right ? gamebroken things wouldn't let us play.. you get it ? If we talk about bugs, yeah there are still some small ones but no really gamekillers at all. If you would write your first posts as a review for wurm you would be totaly wrong and let me thing you are whining or even just a lost soul - pure hating.

another thing is:

this forum bashing - toxic community that i see all day in here and most important in game too, is for me one reason why i love to play wu in the future with my own friends. So im happy with the announcment of WU :)

• Like 1

you are right, im a fanboy because i like wurm ? then.. i am haha. just writing some facts. for me and prob alot of other wurmians everything work as expected and we enjoy this game. so.. if we enjoy its not broken, right ? gamebroken things wouldn't let us play.. you get it ? If we talk about bugs, yeah there are still some small ones but no really gamekillers at all. If you would write your first posts as a review for wurm you would be totaly wrong and let me thing you are whining or even just a lost soul - pure hating.

another thing is:

this forum bashing - toxic community that i see all day in here and most important in game too, is for me one reason why i love to play wu in the future with my own friends. So im happy with the announcment of WU :)

Pretty much if they want to destroy their community let them.

• Like 1

another thing is:

You'll really only see toxicy in the forums, if your seeing it in the game a lot, your likely just not trying to be friendly with people, In my years of playing I've only had One "big" issue in-game, though countless on the forums - and even that, compared to every single other game i've played, is a joke.  Wurm still remains the best community i've seen on a game forum (Not private, like a clan/guild)

• Like 1

I think this is awesome but I do have some questions/critiques.

The plus for me:

- my friends can finnaly play with me without having to deal with all the OH MY GOD SPY SPY SPY WHY HE NO PREMIUM ######

- less griefing even though i think that is also a part of wurm

- more possibilities (story etc)

minus:

- probably servers will flood with trolls, i mean come on, it's steam

- not sure but i guess this is going to cost us a lot of money

question:

do you keep your one character on all servers?

can you have multiple characters (keeping the old ones too)?

do we get to keep the characters we have now?

simply: how will characters work in general?

Hello,  I have only played Wurm a short time and never had the finances available to pay for a premium subscription, but I really loved the concept.  Being able to build pretty much anywhere is great and I can live with poor graphics and such (I'm a pretty old school gamer, so I was around before flashy graphics ;) )

I don't think I'm quite understanding how Wurm Unlimited is going to work.  I get that you can only play one instance of a game on a single account through Steam, I understand that part.  What I'm not seeming to find anywhere is how I can do something like play the game with my wife?  If I have to host up a dedicated server for her to connect over the LAN to, does that prevent me from playing the game alongside her, since my Steam account is now being used to host the server?

Will it work similarly to something like Terraria (for example)?  Options such as "Host a Game", "Host and Play", "Play Single Player"  ?

I understand that she will have to have her own copy of Wurm Unlimited to connect to my server, but it would be kind of pointless if I can't play along with her from my own PC which would be doing the duty of host.

Another question, I can't leave the host running all the time.  Can I safely assume that I will be able to save the world and shut it down, only to open it back up and host it again, picking up where I left off?