Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

News #77: Wurm... Unlimited!

ive said it before and ill say it again ...............I can't wait for WU :D !!!!!!

homer-spinning-o.gif

Edit: for some talking about subscription changes it would be awsome if you paid a sum per account and not per characture like 17$ for 2 months for how ever many charactures you have on that account like Ex: max 5 toons per account

Edited by Aradar

WU... private servers? Neat! But it will not make a dent in "old" servers. In fact it will only bring more people in. Do you guys really play so that you can dig crates of dirt in solo mode? Or is the real appeal of the "old" servers in their community and history? Sure someone will host a power-server but would you all jump to go there? I would not. Just my 2 cents:)

Personally, I cant wait for WU. The thought of having an untouched server size land to myself thrills me. I've hated, and quit playing several times because: of being crowded by surrounding deeds, of people deeding and walling in roads along the waterways, of certain dwarfs mining almost every inch under Deli (actually, I admire the hard work it took to do the major tunnels, it's the small, abandoned ones that have to be remined and filled in that get me), and because, though I love the game itself, I'm just too much of an introvert to enjoy interacting with other people on a regular basis. This is the only MMO that I've been able to stand for any length of time and even then I have to walk away every so often. I think there will be quite a few people out there looking for a sandbox game that they don't have to share with others, it's not a market that's been tapped very often and not to this extant.

• Like 4

You guys seem to forget someone has to host a good sever for wu and that's not cheap your looking at 500e a month at leaste and you have to pray the owner does not give stuff out to his mates

A friend pointed out to me that a hosted server would run at least 100 bucks a month.  And that very likely if you want any money to circulate on that server you will still have to buy it in the store, maybe being premium on the private server will still have to come through the store.  And if so, what about coin spent on deeds?  Where will it go?  Will the server owner be able to set it so that traders on the server will get all of it and people can get at it and the expensive deeds can pay their costs through milking the traders again?  Or will it somehow disappear. requiring steady purchases of coin through the store?  Whichever way it still sounds to me like if Rolf wants to draw in lots more people, he's going to have to cut prices to compete with the other MMOs.  The kind of money you lay down for a couple of premium toons and a nice big deed with a couple of guards is going to be too high for people accustomed to more mainstream MMOs.

And if he's headed for the Free to Play model.  Well, premium and non-premium are going to have to go.  All the competition will let you go all the way to max levels without spending money if you want to.  Most of them as you know restrict your ability to store things unless you pay up.  Which I don't think would work to well applied to Wurm.  Hopefully some better information is forthcoming.

Idk where did you get your prices, but for 100  bucks a month you can get a nearly 100 slots server for minecraft or ark, a 20 slots one go from 15 to 30 bucks depending on the hosting company.

Really people need to chill out and stop spreading Fud (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) just because they don't like the idea of WU.

Actually Minobu, private servers are in no way linked to wurmonline.com when running, exception so far being the updates when WO gets one.

No idea if we're gonna get to modify deed costs, but that's easy enough to fix by materializing a few gold from thin air (or foraging if you wanna hardcore yourself a bit).

We will not shut down any Online servers unless unless they're virtually dead for a long period of time, so there's nothing for existing players to worry about! IN YOUR WORDS STAFF!

The statement above is a joke! What do they think will happen when the community of curious players leave to play Wurm Unlimited and decide that o, gee this is much better because we don't have to pay for monthly memberships. We can just buy it one time and have it forever and better yet we can host our own server and play with our nitch of friends and abide by our own set of rules, so much better then we don't have to worry about grieving, cheaters, hackers, banned players returning oh not to mention the bugs will be less because its promoted on steam. Meaning he has to address them or his rating will fall on steam.

They are trying to sell a line BS to all of you and i wasn't born yesterday!  Don't you all recall Xanadu? Don't all of you  recall what that server was intended for? It was meant for drawing in new players, where are all these new players that server was promised to deliver. Don't you all recall having to membership with a new toon before you could play it when it was released? Now anyone can go there. Im sorry i don't  believe a word of what you staff people are telling us about this new release. You kept this hidden from all of us which is dishonesty in itself. I truly hope the game is destroyed over your selfish acts to money grab using a trend such as steam to market wurm unlimited over your successful online game, to me it's an act of greed. You people who stay on these servers past the release date of this version of the game, Don't cry when those servers are eventually taken down one by one because the player numbers slip so drastically its no longer economically viable to keep them going. Or better yet he decides to raise the membership fees again claiming he needed to do something to keep it all going! Matrk my words this is the end of wurm as we all knew it!

So here another question out of all new toons made to play on xanadu when it was first released because that was what was required how many are still being played now? How many are kept premium-ed up! It was nothing more then a big waste of money. But i say it was planned because as they planned Xanadu guess what im betting Wurm Unlimited was on the drawing board and why, because its a big enough server to host all of us freedom players playing the online game. Don't need to be a rocket scientist to sort that one out.

Idk where did you get your prices, but for 100  bucks a month you can get a nearly 100 slots server for minecraft or ark, a 20 slots one go from 15 to 30 bucks depending on the hosting company.

Really people need to chill out and stop spreading Fud (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt) just because they don't like the idea of WU.

Minecraft freezes all inactive chunks in the world. The server is only actively managing things that are in proximity to players. WU on the other hand is actively manages the whole game world. the list of things to actively manage is large:

* creatures to spawn and the game takes into account surround tiles when this happens so data base look.

* thousands of creatures to move around and database to update.

* aggressive creatures that hunt passive creatures (AI playing against AI) again database to look up/update. I'd expect this to be a rather expensive computer resource cost.

* decay routines that cycle through all game objects (items, fences, structures) and apply the decay algorithm. There is the possibility of destroying items and updating data base.

* millions of tiles that the game cycles through doing RNG algorithms to see if stuff should happen (crops grow, trees grow, tiles get forage/botanize items, flowers appear, grass spreads, moss spread, cave-ins, steppe spreads, trees shed sprout which RNG spread to a near by tile).

I believe the resources needed for a Wurm server are a lot more then a minecraft server.

I believe the resources needed for a Wurm server are a lot more then a minecraft server.

I believe the resources needed for Ark are a lot more than a minecraft server, and yet hosting companies like Nitrado charge about the same price for both.

there is special cases for custom servers that add to the price (like exclusive ram and such), but most hosting companies usually charge near the same price per slot no matter the game.

@KunAlt.

yes, Ark does look like it needs a lot of power. I found this thread for Ark...https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/613957600548879671/

I just wanted to point out some differences between Wurm and Minecraft. I suspect a Wurm server uses much CPU. In a month those hosting servers will let us know I'm sure.

I'm glad services like Nitrado exists. If you google dedicated servers and get pricing information for some of the figures I saw in that Ark thread, well its far more then what Nitrado charges. It probably a case of Nitrado knows how to configure and choose only what's needed.

@KunAlt.

yes, Ark does look like it needs a lot of power. I found this thread for Ark...https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/613957600548879671/

I just wanted to point out some differences between Wurm and Minecraft. I suspect a Wurm server uses much CPU. In a month those hosting servers will let us know I'm sure.

I'm glad services like Nitrado exists. If you google dedicated servers and get pricing information for some of the figures I saw in that Ark thread, well its far more then what Nitrado charges. It probably a case of Nitrado knows how to configure and choose only what's needed.

I think the reason for different prices depends also on the scale, some hosting services are small business, even some only host a handful of games, while other services are much larger companies with physical servers on at least EU, USA and LATAM, and host a lot of games, and while i'm not 100% sure, I think the key factor for pricing is more related to the bandwidth than to the server resources (cores.ram hdd, etc.).

Mix of both, and that's where location matters.

Computers actually burn LOTS of power, so processing power is quite a major factor in costs.

There is, that said, an economy of scale for both processing power and bandwidth, where the bigger you host, the less you pay per watt/hz.

I will be poised and waiting to give Wurm Unlimited a negative review as soon as it releases.

My main points will be:
1. Developers and development is lazy and fragmented. (New features are often half baked and many are left uncompleted for years, or simply not completed at all.)
2. Game breaking bugs are left untreated even if said bugs drive paying players from their game.
3. Game is the epitome of grinding.

Edited by Steeloxide

I really think that this is a good thing to do for everybody and in many ways I don't really think that the official servers "needs" to be kept alive either, several reasons for that :

1 : If you save the current "state of affairs" of each servers it should allow players to continue playing on those servers if they could download those maps and continue playing with their characters. Password and character name would be needed to log inn on those servers even if a friend was hosting it , new players to those servers would only need to make a new char.

2 : What will new players choose? Will they understand the difference between Wurm Online and Wurm unlimited or are both just slightly different versions of the game?  Will they understand the differences between the online servers (time to complete tasks , to gain levels and commitment needed to achieve high levels ) and the player servers (WU) where things can be much easier and faster? I think this might actually be a game breaker for both games unless you can clearly understand whenever you play Wurm Unlimited (or Online) the main differences between the game server and rules ( Skill gain , difficulty , time needed to do things and so on ).

3 : Good computers with good bandwith could probably do quite a decent job hosting several players and there's always the possibility to use linked servers and some efficient coding to implement a system which distributes load depending on the location of players and areas taxed by their actions on the closest server. Basically with the right coding it could be possible to reduce a lot of the problems wurm has and even achieve pretty decent player numbers for Wurm unlimited.

So yes , I do believe right now that the way forward for Wurm is to allow players to host servers and act as game masters , at least having the possibility to adjust the difficulty ( Aka the grind ) and playability of the current server is a huge boon for a lot of players. Just think about those of us that only have 1 hour to play a game , knowing how long each task takes in WO it reasonable to say that one would prefer a game that would give more out of the time you dedicate to it.

If WU is not at all linked to WO. How do you authenticate users on a privately hosted server?

I suppose that platform company and/or Steam has some solution for that?

@ steel Lol with your 3. Point you disqualifyd yourself! WU is made to get more into casual players becouse you can increase everything if you want to! You are just a guy who got angry becouse the devs arent listening to your whining XD

Edited by Biervampyr

Lol what? Do you even know what your talking about? How about instead of arguing just for the sake of arguing you actually try to articulate something intelligent.

Im not the only one "whining" either.

Considering you only tackled the simplest of my points in your attempt at arguing them, I assume you didnt bother doing any research at all before letting your silly little fingers flop around on the keyboard.

Would you like sources as to the many threads about long standing bugs that have not been adressed for ages?

Atleast you got one thing right, I am angry. I couldnt care less what you think about that though.

I will be poised and waiting to give Wurm Unlimited a negative review as soon as it releases.

My main points will be:
1. Developers and development is lazy and fragmented. (New features are often half baked and many are left uncompleted for years, or simply not completed at all.)
-> small indie team, what did you expect ? lol I think they have done a wonderful game for this ammount of devs
2. Game breaking bugs are left untreated even if said bugs drive paying players from their game.
-> there are no game breaking bugs. and when someething happend it was always fixed very fast
3. Game is the epitome of grinding.
-> then dont play it lol. Beside of that you can change everything in WU, so make it less grindi

Last but not least you are indeed whining about a game that is not even released. I guess wurm is nothing at all for you :lol:

They don't realize that when everyone is having fun and they are on the outside screaming at everyone going in they will  be going in as well sooner or later.....You can't stop a Flood and that's is what is about to happen.  WU will be far more successful than anything a couple of nay sayers try to drum up before hand.  

Wurm is Waiting.........

• Like 1

Ok just a month away so time to chime in after listening to everyone's whining and issues...

My personal opinions:

1: First I think it is a wonderful idea - not so sure i would have done it the way it's being done...Steam?? As I've posted before too easy to Rip programs from steam and pirate them..CodeClub is already paying for secure server to run Wurmstore...My thoughts would have been to sell it through secure FTP on that server to the community before ever releasing to public.

2: Reason i believe it's a good idea...There are so many programmers out today with so many thoughts and ideas on how to improve things...Programmers that undoubtedly will demand vast amounts of money prior to releasing anything worthwhile...Let those that can run their own servers and when they come up with wonderful new things....Rolf has already said he would likely contact that person and maybe implement that into the live servers....

3: Not everyone has the exact same idea on how things should run...Rolf has his ideals on what he see's as Wurm's future...while I may not...Since the private servers are in no way connected to the live servers we both can have what we wish.

4: Game breaking - I don't foresee anything of the sort...yes some will probably leave(Like i continue to do to beta-test or play other games) to play on their own servers...But remember there is a reason we all play wurm to begin with....It's still the ONLY viable sandbox on the market......Now before i get flamed with other sandbox games...I've played almost everyone and they just don't compare to the freedom and complexity....so back off :)

5: As a beginning programmer myself with C#/C++ and Direct3d...I'm looking forward to seeing what can truly be done with Wurm Unlimited.

Lol what? Do you even know what your talking about? How about instead of arguing just for the sake of arguing you actually try to articulate something intelligent.

Im not the only one "whining" either.

Considering you only tackled the simplest of my points in your attempt at arguing them, I assume you didnt bother doing any research at all before letting your silly little fingers flop around on the keyboard.

Would you like sources as to the many threads about long standing bugs that have not been adressed for ages?

Atleast you got one thing right, I am angry. I couldnt care less what you think about that though.

i was just writing from the cellphone btw,but just for you i use my pc to clarify something

15/09/15:

•Fix for trusted friends being able to loot your corpse.

•Trade channel improvements. Added a colour to indicate if message is from current server.

•Trade channel improvements. Added a colour to show the message has your name in it.

•Trade channel improvements. Added server to message.

•Fix for Village and Alliance text being wrong way round in profile.

•Trade channel improvements. Added @<name> which can be used to replay to the specified person. Only shows for them.

•Fix for trade channel reshowing when switched off (due to x-server trade messaged).

•Added option in profile so can switch off getting start messages in chats.

•Made wand of the seas create half the size islands in order to increase usability.

•Added clause about attending the game when using keybinds in the game rules found at http://www.wurmonlin...t_unstable.jnlp (You can find more details on the improvements in the thread here.)

•Some issues with bridges and gates were fixed.

•One reason for creatures moving through walls was found and fixed.

•Fix to reduce bridge decay. Should not take any decay for a week after its been used.

•Changed the QL levels between different bell sounds, as some sounds were not being played at all.

25/6/15

•It should now be possible to lead creatures and drive/ride from bridges high up into houses.

•Fix for teleporting when moving out from floors onto steep tiles.

•Added in ability to see who planted an item (using examine).

•Fix so items and creatures that were on bridge when it was destroyed, loose their link to the bridge.

•Made wall collisions wider, to remove the see through feature.

•If there is only one possible item to craft, it is auto-selected in crafting window by default (like sand+clay).

•Non-premiums gives less to no skill in pvp due to some exploitability.

•Chaos server: In order to deal with alt problems, non-premiums can only respawn in permanent cities and pmk capitals until a better solution can be coded.

•You can now drop dirt under bridges (with restrictions).

26/6/15

•Added possibility to repair tools directly in crafting window.

•Tripled the ondeed creature ratio on pvp servers.

•Foals now age a lot faster on pvp servers.

•Reduced the breed wait timers on pvp servers.

•The Rod of Eruption has been replaced with a Tome of Incineration since use of the rod was considered undesirable.

•Fixed some issues with loading things onto boats.

•Fixed an issue with grass height and flower data.

30/6/15

•Fix for being kicked as passenger

•Fix for creatures escaping pens

•Fix for pmk non-prem spawning on Chaos

15/7/15

•We are adding features in the game client which requires Java 8 within the overseeable future, so please get the latest version of Java at http://www.java.com as soon as possible:)

•A bug with mine doors was fixed

21/7/15

•Updated title for 90 NS as the old one was not very good.

•Added rarity to the items text (and hover text) in mail receive screen.

•Tower guards should now be more responsive when spawning.

•Corrected some size values for seals that resulted in a larger yield of hides then intended. Should now yield 2x 6kg hides instead of 2x 15kg that it did before.

•The fungus spell should no longer be able to spread mycelium to cobblestone tiles, and possibly other unintended types as well.

•The valentine flowers should no longer turn into a marble planter when decaying.

•Bracers should no longer hide shields when equipped, and will for the time being not be visible at all (the bracers not the shields).

•Fixed an issue where the examine message for soup would disappear when splitting the soup into new containers.

•Changed it so that Bulk storage bins no longer delete partial items when removing items from it.

•Examining a timber framed door under construction should now show the materials needed to finish it.

•Plain stone doors should now properly be shown as options when the house you are building requires a door and won’t let you build anything else.

•Fixed an old bug where it wasn’t allowed to build upper floors on deed perimeter north and west of a deed when the structure was just outside of the deeds perimeter.

•A rope is now part of the newbie toolset.

27/7/15

•Re-sized the oven’s internal container volume so that cauldrons may fit inside of it.

•Fix so mycelium will revert back to normal including grass, trees, bushes and lawns on non-pvp servers.

•Added crude axe.

•Adjusted volumes for shingles. Also made slate shingles slightly less dense.

•Tower guards should be more responsive to enemies during conquering.

3/8/15

•Crude Axe Head added.

•Crude Shaft added.

•Larger boats should now be easier to load from a few tiles away (cog, knarr, corbita, caravel).

•A range check bug resulting in too short distance allowed when unloading crates from ships was fixed.

•(Bulk storage) “As many as I can carry†should now leave behind partial items that can’t be combined once taken out.

•(Fighting) Special moves should no longer show the activated item.

•Fix so gates are correctly unlocked when a deed disbands.

•Change so attaching a lock to an item only checks if you have a key if you are on a PvE server.

16/6/15

•Changed bridge decay, so if its used the decay is reduced (a lot).

•Fix for some notake items suddenly being possible to take.

•Improved the newbie light a bit.

•More breeding timer tweaks.

•Infection in wounds were bugged and will now be a bit harder to get rid of.

•The spell Ward should make more creatures flee now.

•Walls no longer keeps their colors when set to plan or rubble.

8/6/15:

•Fix so chopping a tree down leaves the grass (or mycelium) at same length (except lawn goes to short grass/mycelium).

•Fix for fsb and bsb becoming unplanted over server resets.

•Fix so can’t dig at the end of bridges.

•Fix so the max ql of floors and bridge parts is not restricted to 80.

•In order to prevent various annoying situations, siege shields (and unfinished ones) are now notake and must be created where they are supposed to be used.

•Turrets should now properly revert to unenchanted ones if dispelled.

•Removed false disease status which occurred in certain situations.

•Fix for fatigue going into the negative and blocking certain actions while mounted.

•Bulk container double turn menus removed.

•Scissors now take proper damage when shearing.

•Fix for floor/roof damage using certain tools.

•Blocked removing bulk items into tents due to certain exploitability.

•Harvesting now properly using 100 item inventory limitation.

•Exiting through a door with enemies players in local should now unlock it as well as when entering.

•Removed possibility to change creator by dealing damage to items.

•You can no longer tame creatures led by another player or hitched to a vehicle.

•Hens and chickens no longer autofollow due to disease issues.

•Summoned skeletons and wraiths should no longer attack same kingdom but other kingdom players.

•Made it so newbie tents can’t be put into containers due to exploitability.

10/6/15:

•A few bugs that may have prevented Nathan from ascending were found, and he was ascended manually since Fo won this scenario.

•Powers and vitality for deities on Valrei are now recalculated when receiving immortality. The calculated attack and vitality values generated that are higher than 6 will start at 6 and add 0.1 per full point above 6. So a value of 11 will result in 6.5. This will balance the playing field better. Existing deities have had their values recalculated according to this algorithm.

•Changed display of received mail items, so can look in containers

•Fix so cannot charm animals when you are not allowed to tame them

•Merchants no longer may be threatened from another floor level

•Attempted fix for mycelium spreading to lawns

•Relaxed the checks for structures blocking tunnelling

•Allow fungus spell to work on lawn

•Fix for deity loss due to alignment changes

•A bug with faithful setting on spells was fixed

2/6/15:

•Fix so ballista darts do damage

•Creatures may now be blocked by doors when entering from bridges

•War machines now work a bit better against bridges but still needs tweaking

4/6/15:

•Removed enchant decay on weapons due to extreme rarity but overwhelming impopularity.

•Humid drizzle should now properly save the disease state when used so that it doesn’t reset on server restarts.

•Added marble planters as craftables. Should function in the same way as flowerpots.

•Possible fix for minedoors not opening for enemies trying to enter shortly after passing.

•Skillgain for battle camp guards were brought in line with kingdom guards.

•Fixed so water doesn’t get the rarity when tempering and improving.

•Fixed so you now can select a player when hovering over their face mask or ring.

•Fixed bug in skill tracker where the “show progress to next skill†button is always unchecked by default.

•Fixed for client crashing with out of bounds.

​

i guess i dont Need to say more and now if you dont like what happens to wurm just go away if you dont like it. oh and if you think im the only ones who think you are just a crying Baby look at steam! the People over there telling you the same as here!

and my litte fingers seems to be more intelligent than you becouse they are not afraid of a game that isnt even on the market!

have a nice day :D

cheers Bier

Edited by Biervampyr

You guys seem to forget someone has to host a good sever for wu and that's not cheap your looking at 500e a month at leaste and you have to pray the owner does not give stuff out to his mates

Nowhere near that.  1/4th maybe, and a decent amount of time.

Unless you pay for someone else to run your server - Which only makes sense if you live in a crappy area for internet or don't have the PC(s) to handle server(s)

• Like 1