Sign in to follow this  
Docterchese

News #77: Wurm... Unlimited!

News%20Header%20(old).jpg?dl=1

Hey all!

As you may have already heard this week, we dropped some very big news about the future of Wurm. On October 21st, we'll be releasing Wurm Unlimited, a standalone version of the game that will allow you to play in a singleplayer world and host your own servers.

The objective with Unlimited is to bring Wurm to a wider audience. By releasing it on Steam and with the help of a professional publisher, it'll bring Wurm to lots of of new people, who will be able to enjoy Wurm in a new and more accessible way. The Adventure mode, for instance, will allow players to explore a single-player sandbox world as a totally new experience - that we hope to be more accessible to more people. Scripted game worlds are fantastic ways to introduce complicated games more gradually, allowing Unlimited to help reduce the steepness of Wurm's learning curve.

As for the future of the existing Online servers, they're very much here to stay! The function of the servers will change, from being the game to simply being officially hosted Wurm servers - complementing the many servers we expect Unlimited users to host themselves. We will not shut down any Online servers unless unless they're virtually dead for a long period of time, so there's nothing for existing players to worry about; especially since the increased revenue from Unlimited will hopefully allow us to put more towards developing the game on a whole (we'll roll out updates to both Unlimited and Online,) and as new players complete the single-player Unlimited experience and look for a multiplayer experience so they can keep playing Wurm, the Online servers will be incentivised as something to progress towards. We'd be very surprised if Unlimited doesn't benefit the Online servers in a variety of ways.

Lastly, all of us here on the staff team - be we volunteers or paid devs - want to emphasise that we're here for you, the players. We know that this is a huge new thing for Wurm that has divided community opinion; but we feel that the strong business case of Unlimited will greatly benefit the game in the long run, and will allow us to further expand the Wurm franchise to new and exciting things. I'd compare it to when the game went 'gold' back in 2006, going from being free to having a paid premium service. Without those first steps, we'd never have been able to hire paid developers and Wurm would never be remotely close to where it is today.

Almost a decade after Gold, Wurm is going Unlimited. We hope you join us for the ride!

Scheduled Maintenance

Just a quick note to say that our hosting provider has informed us that there will be some interruptions to the servers between September 23rd at 11pm and going through the night until September 24th at 5am for routine server maintenance (all times CEST aka GMT+2.) The maintenance is unlikely to take up all all of that time, and we'll update you if we hear anything new.

The Week In Patch Notes

Patch notes time! Lots of general fixes and changes this week, including the addition of a way to align your player's view with your mounts (it's toggled off by default, but if you want to give it a try, you can find it under Settings > Game > Rotate player together with mount.)

15/09/15:
  • Fix for trusted friends being able to loot your corpse.
  • Trade channel improvements. Added a colour to indicate if message is from current server.
  • Trade channel improvements. Added a colour to show the message has your name in it.
  • Trade channel improvements. Added server to message.
  • Fix for Village and Alliance text being wrong way round in profile.
  • Trade channel improvements. Added @<name> which can be used to replay to the specified person. Only shows for them.
  • Fix for trade channel reshowing when switched off (due to x-server trade messaged).
  • Added option in profile so can switch off getting start messages in chats.
  • Made wand of the seas create half the size islands in order to increase usability.
  • Added clause about attending the game when using keybinds in the game rules found at http://forum.wurmonl...123-wurm-rules/
  • Made the same server trade messages a lighter blue.
  • Added server abbreviations for all trade messages.
  • Fix so the strength check for digging on roads is performed at start of dig action.
  • Fixed bug where we got more of same entity on the valrei map when reconnecting.
  • Moved character name to display before game title instead of after.
  • Added containers position remembering after logouts and for different resolutions.
  • Fixed wrong size of Valrei map.
  • Changed display default settings to make game start in fullscreen for new players.
  • Changed wounds sorting to make bandaged wounds go to the bottom of the list.
  • Added height display on hover when mallet or hammer is activated.
  • Added possibility to align player rotation with mount rotation (toggled off by default).
  • Changed border around items in character window to change color at any damage.

DeedPlanner Updates

Warlander sent us a couple of new pictures of his progress with implementing bridges into DeedPlanner. It looks great!

Dp1.jpg?dl=1

Dp2.jpg?dl=1

Permissions

We forgot to include it last week (oops) but Tich made a post about door permissions. She also made one about animal permissions this week. Your feedback in both would be appreciated!

Wiki Accounts

Marni has further clarified and improved the system for Wurmpedia accounts. Standard accounts can edit player and settlement pages, of which anyone may apply; and Editor accounts can edit almost all pages on the wiki (other than protected ones like the main page) and are available to people interested in contributing to the wiki who can be trusted. You can find out more here.

Screenshot of the Week

Finishing off, this weeks' screenshot was taken by Jberg of a stable design by Cita, built by Jberg, Cita, Crystallee and Drsatan. It's amazing to see people continue to innovate with new ways to implement bridges into deed designs.

Screenshot.jpg?dl=1

That concludes this week's news! Devs have been working on both Wurm Online and Unlimited for the past few weeks, and that format will continue until release. Watch this space for exclusive previews of the upcoming game! We're thinking about doing a number of special things, including hosting a Twitch stream Q&A while playing through the game once we get nearer to release day - would you watch it?

• Like 10

The twitch q&a would be very helpful i think and i am excited about WU :)

• Like 1

Great news! And congrats on Unlimited, I don't think I'll personally be trying it very soon but its a great direction for the game to head in! :)

great to know that after i been contributing to the wiki since october 2012 now im not trusted with that anymore.

sadly the staff its the reason im afraid for the official wurm servers,because any private servers can have better support and moderation than this servers have.

but keep deleting posts of anyone that says that,much easier than fixing the real problem.

Edited by Tpikol
  • Like 4

great to know that after i been contributing to the wiki since october 2012 now im not trusted with that anymore.

sadly the staff its the reason im afraid for the official wurm servers,because any private servers can have better support and moderation than this servers have.

but keep deleting posts of anyone that says that,much easier than fixing the real problem.

Just to clarify -

Everyone has had to re-apply for the ability to edit the main pages of the wiki. No one has been singled out as not being "trusted" with that anymore. Please do apply for an editor account again. It's quick and painless. :)

• Like 1

One statement that I find puzzling is this:

The function of the servers will change, from being the game to simply being officially hosted Wurm servers - complementing the many servers we expect Unlimited users to host themselves.

I don't see how this changes the *functions* of the current Wurm servers, as well as the fact that they are and will be the official game. Now if Wurm were setting this up on a similar basis as Active Worlds where they sold these Wurm Unlimited servers to players and hosted them for them, then yes this statement would make sense to me.

The big difference here is that players who decide to create their own Wurm Unlimited servers will have to host them themselves through whatever service they choose who provides this. Then they setup how the altered game of Wurm will function within them.

These player created (not really hosted even since they hire some service to host them) servers are much different from the way the game of Wurm currently functions and will function in the future. To try to connect them as the above quote suggests, I don't get it. Maybe I am missing something here in interpretation.

Anyway, I hope that the additional comments made about Wurm Unlimited will reassure the current playerbase that Wurm Online will continue to provide them with the enjoyment that they get from participating within it and even prosper in different ways from the exposure it gets from the new WU release and in the future.

Exciting Wurm times we live in with this dramatic addition to Wurm gameplay!

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Just to clarify -

Everyone has had to re-apply for the ability to edit the main pages of the wiki. No one has been singled out as not being "trusted" with that anymore. Please do apply for an editor account again. It's quick and painless. :)

It's the point that you even have to apply for wiki editing privileges, Keenan. A wiki is supposed to be something that anyone can edit, not just anyone who applies and is approved by one person. As is, Wurmpedia is just a manual and is a wiki in name only.

Edited by Laiwyn
  • Like 2

But it was exactly like that before because you needed to make a wiki account through Eir so I dunno how this is changed, it's just changed persons who approve it

It's always fun to jump on the anti-people in power positions though, keep going

As is the new fad post really instigative things like 'keep deleting my posts l0l' that'll surely get you far as well.

I find this interesting...

...and as new players complete the single-player Unlimited experience and look for a multiplayer experience so they can keep playing Wurm...

It hadn't occurred to me that they might put an end-game into Wurm Unlimited and actually make it a "completeable" kind of game. That would be a genius way of getting new people to pay the "one-time-only" fee for WU and then be tempted into playing WO long-term. Or maybe I am reading far too much into a PR weekly announcement :P

But it was exactly like that before because you needed to make a wiki account through Eir so I dunno how this is changed, it's just changed persons who approve it

It's always fun to jump on the anti-people in power positions though, keep going

As is the new fad post really instigative things like 'keep deleting my posts l0l' that'll surely get you far as well.

Eir didn't make you go through an application process at all, you just asked them for an account and they gave it to you...so not the same at all. And besides, Eir didn't take such an authoritarian position over the curation of Wurmpedia, either. As is, the process for updating pages is ridiculous considering all of the hoops you have to jump through in order to do it. You can brush off my concerns by saying I'm just jumping on the "anti-people in power" bandwagon but you're completely misrepresenting my positions by doing so. Reread the News #70 thread for some of the others' and my own past comments made on this since I'm not rehashing it all here.

• Like 1

...and as new players complete the single-player Unlimited experience and look for a multiplayer experience so they can keep playing Wurm...

I find this interesting...

It hadn't occurred to me that they might put an end-game into Wurm Unlimited and actually make it a "completeable" kind of game. That would be a genius way of getting new people to pay the "one-time-only" fee for WU and then be tempted into playing WO long-term. Or maybe I am reading far too much into a PR weekly announcement :P

Yea, I don't think it was meant to be interpreted in the way you suggest, although that same thought also crossed my mind. Then upon further reflection I think what is meant is that after they play the WU single player game for a while they might then want to join the main game of WO, not that there is any "completion" of the WU single player mode.

How could there be really when you can just continue on building the whole map. Possibly just save it when done and start another one, or wipe some portions and rebuild them. The only "completion" involved I can see is when someone tires of the whole thing and moves on to something else, like maybe WO as suggested.

=Ayes=

I have not seen this anywhere so since you mentioned it. Updates ...Rolf said they will hit WO first then go to WU.

WIll people that are hosting thier own servers be able to decline an update or will this be pushed down in some way?

I can see where people will have modded thier servers, WO update comes out and is released to WU.

WU Server hosters install update and it kills the mods which then kill the server.

Now it just makes sense that updates wont be forced but offered for download somewhere, but,

Is this the plan, to just have the updates posted somewhere and let server hosters decide when they want to install or if they even want to bother with the particular update?

Will they be forced through steam as an auto update?

Any information on how this is expected to work would be appreciated.

Edited by sunsvortex

Just a question,

I've been planning on purchsing premium soon but from what I understand, Wurm Unlimited will give you practically premium for like $10-30 or whatever the price will be where premium on the 'official servers' will be $120 a year. Will this change because this will make it seem that people with mega machines will host Wurm Unlimited servers that won't have $120 premium for a year. I would HIGHLY recommend changing the price or premium for making it a one time purchase. If this is already the plan, it would be nice if you could make a statment about that.

Thanks,

Clan

How could there be really when you can just continue on building the whole map. Possibly just save it when done and start another one, or wipe some portions and rebuild them. The only "completion" involved I can see is when someone tires of the whole thing and moves on to something else, like maybe WO as suggested.

I would agree with you, except for this from the original announcement:

The main goal for the Adventure mode will be to find a way of becoming a deity on the moon Valrei which we think is suitable both for a single player and a group of players either cooperating or belonging to different kingdoms.

This suggests that's the intended "win" scenario. If they're setting up a world with pre-defined competing kingdoms that you somehow get involved with, then it might push people towards a "completion" even in an open world. Obviously this doesn't apply to the "Creative" mode which has less structure, and anyone can ignore a "core" path and play a game endlessly if they want. I still like to keep an open mind on it though.

i dont think anybody has a problem with the single player mode,the problem its i doubt the player will come here and pay a lot more if there is decent free or much cheaper private servers going on.

• Like 1

i dont think anybody has a problem with the single player mode,the problem its i doubt the player will come here and pay a lot more if there is decent free or much cheaper private servers going on.

Careful, you have to smile mate.

• Like 1

Yes, that notion of WU players likely paying less than I've been paying to keep 2 toons premium does indeed attract my attention.  If this draws in new players, great.  But if they're getting a much nicer payment deal than us old school premiums have been paying for then yes, there would best be some changes in pricing for premium and for deeds on the official servers.  Like many another I certainly pay more each month for my deed than for my premium.  Drawing in a new audience is nice, but if you leave the player base you already had feeling betrayed well... remember Star Wars Galaxies?  I well remember how all the time and grinding and gathering I put in was laid waste, not once but twice, until I was pretty sure I was the last Master Doctor left on the server because all the other players who had made a name were gone.

Also, I would be very interested to learn if one could copy one's deed onto a standalone.  Preserve it for posterity as it were.  The mere mention of a server going down if it "looks deserted for a time"  Makes me want to backup my deed onto a standalone copy of the game.  I spent a lot of time and money on that place, like any other player, the thought of losing it before I myself am ready and willing to walk away would include a lot of feeling betrayed about it.

And I think such a change, all these private servers you can travel between them and the official ones?  How's that going to work without implementing fast travel stations?  And what if you go visit a private server and the guy shuts down for the night?  Are you trapped there?  You show up, he cuts the power and.... then what?  We're going to need to know more about that I think.

Hmmm... moving my deed entire or recreating it onto a server on my own hard drive, that I control?  No more paying the deed costs since it is my server?  And then perhaps keeping a smaller deed on Indy that doesn't cost much at all?  Now there's a thought.  But then, if we can have a server that we own and control... then what happens to the money system?  Certainly we won't be paying Rolf to buy silver on our own private server on our own hard drive will we?  Yeah, there's a lot indeed to think about with this new change.  Perhaps a lot Rolf should have thought about too, concerned as he is with revenue.

I know a lot of people who constantly complain about how Wurm is managed, but I could never really agree with them.

This, however, is the first time I've been seriously mad. You lock off the wiki to everyone who previously had an account and make them send a message again. Very annoying, but fair enough.

You also expect them to make an edit every 30 days. Seriously? I take breaks every now and then which are well longer than 30 days and you expect me to go and find something to edit to keep being able to edit?

Is anyone going to set up an external wiki that is _actually_ community driven and can be edited by players that happen to have a real life?

• Like 1

i agree WO costs will have to lower in order to attract people. WU costs seems well cheap, one time buy and bam!  WO is gonna need cheaper n i mean way cheaper prices to get people to stay on WO or else youll have people comining trying it out then ditching it when they realize the costs online. other then that, awsome idea.

DId you re-apply? Like I did?

If not, get off that horse, it's very high.

If you did, try the human approach, and query it.