Sign in to follow this  
Eldurian

What Will Be The Advantages to Playing Wurm Online Over Wurm Unlimited?

wow... seriously guys. If you actually knew how to develop and host properly you may very well end up with a nice server. And any grown up "server admin" that lets kids be GMs and handles his community poorly does not deserve any players at all.

However if you do it properly and host properly (on proper server hardware etc. - not with these cheap shitty hosts you can find online BUT proper) then I do not see why it wouldn't work. I know for a fact that exploiting can be kept to a minimum and with additional server modifications that will surely see the day of light once WU is released will make all of this even better. I personally shall be hosting a good WU server while I will still be playing WO, and that bit won't change. See there is no point to exploit or spawn yourself a bunch of cash. What does that do really for you? It only makes the lifespan of you enjoying said game shorter, in short cheating / abusing admin does not do 0 for you. If you do it, then you should not be hosting.. Simple.

;tldr - There will be properly hosted and maintained communities and then there will be those (majority probably) that get abused by their owners. So finding the right community will be hard.

for single PC owners, there is the option of virtualization, to create multiple virtual PCs on a single machine.  However, depending on the type of virtualization, your graphics will be crap, from a client perspective.

I use VMware. 

I'm still not sure if the server can be hosted on a linux Ubuntu machine which is on a VM. Seems you'll need windows OS and I don't have extra copies of that OS laying around. This isn't necessary for me, it just might be neat to have the server always running instead of it only running when I start up WU.

I use VMware. 

I'm still not sure if the server can be hosted on a linux Ubuntu machine which is on a VM. Seems you'll need windows OS and I don't have extra copies of that OS laying around. This isn't necessary for me, it just might be neat to have the server always running instead of it only running when I start up WU.

Windows server runs for 6 months in trial mode before you need a key. Thats an option that many people use to get round the price of Windows licensing for web servers.

But really the server code should be moved to Linux given the cost savings involved, assuming its not using some weird native windows only libraries, but I cant see why server code ever should.

If we knew which libraries, us Linux geeks could start checking into WINE early on.

• Like 1

I will certainly be hosting a server for wurm unlimited. I am sure rolf is smart enough to know that wurm unlimited will be directly competing with Wurm online so I have to wonder if they are planning to stop supporting the game. On the server I host I will be keeping everything like wurm online expect everyone will be a premium user and I will be reducing the cost of land. as my only goal is to have the community aid with hosting cost and so that the in-game currency will still have value. I will also offer a charterer transfer service aka boosting your player skills to what they where at on wurm online but I will require proof of character ownership. and finally if Wurm Unlimited after release if they no longer provide new official content any money I make above the cost of hosting will be used implement new things into the game. I am a programmer and know java,c++ and c#. so I will be sure to continue the tradition of releasing holiday content and adding new things to the game. thought I will need to create custom clients so people would be able to connect to the server so I will likely make my own client updater for my servers users. 

There is no reason for Rolf not to keep supporting the game. I don't thinkcommunity server are that big of a threat. WO already has a very established community, many different servers with different game modes and most importantly: they provide proper support, hosting and GMs. That makes the official servers the best place if you want to be certain that your builds and achievements stay relevant for a long time.

While I am sure there will be plenty of community server that do their best to provide a similar quality of serivce over a long term, there simply is no guarantee.

• Like 2

Ill be hosting my own server to play with rl friends and family.

In my particular case , i already put 2 years of upkeep on my Indy deed, but if everything works and it should , I see no reason to stay in WO.

Nope. None.

Maybe with all of the exodus happening, all of Wurm Online will get rerolled into one map as Chaos v2.

*fingers crossed*

wow... seriously guys. If you actually knew how to develop and host properly you may very well end up with a nice server. And any grown up "server admin" that lets kids be GMs and handles his community poorly does not deserve any players at all.

However if you do it properly and host properly (on proper server hardware etc. - not with these cheap shitty hosts you can find online BUT proper) then I do not see why it wouldn't work. I know for a fact that exploiting can be kept to a minimum and with additional server modifications that will surely see the day of light once WU is released will make all of this even better. I personally shall be hosting a good WU server while I will still be playing WO, and that bit won't change. See there is no point to exploit or spawn yourself a bunch of cash. What does that do really for you? It only makes the lifespan of you enjoying said game shorter, in short cheating / abusing admin does not do 0 for you. If you do it, then you should not be hosting.. Simple.

;tldr - There will be properly hosted and maintained communities and then there will be those (majority probably) that get abused by their owners. So finding the right community will be hard.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find volunteer moderators who aren't just power-hungry twats? Anyone smart enough to do the job right is usually not dumb enough to do it for free.

I have been on-and-off running Garry's Mod and Minecraft servers for years and one of the biggest problems I've faced is finding responsible moderators. The only bigger problem is getting people who can manage server software, especially if it runs through a Linux terminal. It can easily get to be way too much work to run public servers, especially for free and without help.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to find volunteer moderators who aren't just power-hungry twats? Anyone smart enough to do the job right is usually not dumb enough to do it for free.

I have been on-and-off running Garry's Mod and Minecraft servers for years and one of the biggest problems I've faced is finding responsible moderators. The only bigger problem is getting people who can manage server software, especially if it runs through a Linux terminal. It can easily get to be way too much work to run public servers, especially for free and without help.

Especially considering this is going to have 0 anti cheat mechanisms as such the admins will have ever more work to do than normal most likely. I honestly can't see public BIG WU servers being viable due to the amount of admin work its going to require to keep it working / stop being overrun by Russian kiddies.

Edited by Happiness

Can someone explain this like you're talking to a two-year old please? Yes, some people are totally stupid on this planet and I'm one of 'em.

1- Will I be able to play Wurm off-line without setting it up as a server to connect other players on it? Is this Wurm Unlimited a Single-player game or is it still a glorified online game?

2- Do I absolutely need Steam to play it? Am I gonna HAVE to create a Steam account and download their software in order to purchase and play the game? Can the game be downloaded and played off-line, single-player like as an .exe?

I'm not buying anything if Wurm Unlimited still needs to be connected online to be playable.

Thank you for your answer!

Idiot out.

Can someone explain this like you're talking to a two-year old please? Yes, some people are totally stupid on this planet and I'm one of 'em.

Idiot out.

• Like 1

You will be required to create a server to connect your client to it.  Whether or not you allow others to join it is up to you.  So you could in fact be the only player on the server making it 'single player' if you choose.

Wurm Unlimited was answered already that you will require steam for it and be logged into steam to play.  There will be no non-steam version of Wurm Unlimited.

• Like 1

Thank you MamaDarkness.

I was told that I could also play it off-line because Steam allows off-line playing. Would that apply to Wurm?

Thank you.

While steam does allow 'some' games to be used in offline mode I am not aware if WU will be able to do that or not.  That is really something the devs would deal with and is between steam and code club.

• Like 1