Sign in to follow this  
Eldurian

What Will Be The Advantages to Playing Wurm Online Over Wurm Unlimited?

Is it just a "there will be more people" thing or will Wurm Unlimited be a bit less full featured?

My concern is that people will just open up their own servers on WU that will offer everything Wurm can offer except you wont have to pay so much for deeds and such, and the MMO will just die so all the work I'm currently doing on Wurm Online is a waste.

Does anyone know, or could a developer comment on why that won't be the case?

Community, stability, moderation and support

theres plenty of reasons to play official servers over private servers

• Like 9

How I see it, in short.

Wurm online is what you are used to. Official, persistent worlds, backed and controlled by code club with its current rules. There is a certain certainty in it. You pretty much expect when you log in your character is there and your builds, if properly maintained, will be there everyday and everytime you log in. Ruling is done by code clubs rules, and there is no favoring this or that. You have to deal with everyone that is on it though, and if you do not like something and it does not break a rule, you are to accept it. Commerce is possible, silver has real value. It is more like an open society with no shortcuts. Your work is achieved through hardships and work, which can be both pleasurable and annoying at random intervals depending on situations happening to you.

Wurm unlimited allows you to make your own rules on your own server, and others can join. It is ruled by the guy/you who owns it. He can set skill to go faster, or slower, or change anything to suit his individual wishes.  it is controlled by this guy/you too, and if he decides to wipe it or stop having the server, that is that and nothing you can do about it. However, you can control your own server. Have only the people you want on it. You dont have to deal with a neighbor you dont like, and you are the jury, judge and executioner on your server. However, if it is not your server, the guy who owns it is judge, jury and executioner too, and since he pays for the server, you have to listen to what he says and there is no official crew to keep to specific rules. Silver on the other hand has no real value. It can be used as a trading tool sure, but as the owner of the server you control the silver and can, if you so please, spawn 500 gold in your pockets.

Both have their pros and cons. It is just a personal choice what you prefer. I think wurm online as you are used to appeals to people who like longevity and want to spend countless hours on end in a living breathing world with bad and good on something that is nearly sure to remain for as long as you play.

Wurm Unlimited attracts people who just want to play for fun/relaxation in a controlled environment whenever they wish with only the people they choose while being able to tweak things to their exact specifications.

Some people like the persistent community feeling, feeling official, with no secret shortcuts and no non-official server owner who is pretty much like Rolf is to wurm online. Others just want to be alone, or have a certain grouping and community that they want to play with without anyone else bothering them, or even just have totally different rulesets like faster skillgain or instant 90 in everything allout pvp fights, anything you can think up. Which you prefer is up to you. 

See Rolf as an ice cream man. He used to sell only mocha flavor. While it is a nice flavor, it is not one that speaks to all. Now he decides to also sell chocolate. Whether you prefer chocolate or stick with the mocha is all up to you and personal preferences and of course, you can always sneak in both ;)

That is my take on things, at least, in short :)

Edited by Viti
  • Like 16

My biggest concern is that you could easily have a server that offers all of those things not run by Rolf, and who charges less for it. That concerns me because:

1. That means all my work on the official servers will be wasted if that other server is offering a better deal.

2. Whoever runs that server isn't going to be putting money into the improvement of the game / development of additional features.

I'm really hoping Wurm Unlimited is in some ways Wurm Lite, and you have to play Wurm Online to really experience the full package. In that scenario the steam exposure is going to grow our community once people decide. "This is fun. I want to play the real thing now."

How I see it, in short.

That is my take on things, at least, in short :)

In horror I imagine the long version.

But I agree.

Worst case scenario is that Wurm population remains pretty much the same or fluctuation of ppl starting and not continuing is getting more "spikey".

Best scenario is that Wurm official servers get alot more long term players trough the WU introduction influx of new players.

Alot of people complain how starting is ... well, how it is. Wurm can be pretty unforgiving for new players. WU freedom provides possibility to have more "tailored" experience in finding out what kind of game Wurm is. No need to play for years to reach the point of knowing whether or not it was worth it to go trough those years.

Speaking of probabilities, I think it is improbable that WU will negatively impact Wurm official servers. It is probable that there will be impact. Cannot say how improbable it is to have positive impact, but it is also possible. So my assessment is that negative impact is improbable and positive impact is probable.

• Like 2

In horror I imagine the long version.

haha, I suppose I went on a bit, but it is not entirely untrue! I think I spent a few hours explaining the long version to doom and gloom villagers to ease their nerves a bit, luckily successful :)

• Like 1

I'm really hoping Wurm Unlimited is in some ways Wurm Lite, and you have to play Wurm Online to really experience the full package. In that scenario the steam exposure is going to grow our community once people decide. "This is fun. I want to play the real thing now."

WO and WU are near perfect clones with a few features not released on WU until said feature is discovered on WO. I'm not sure what these entail but I'm guessing it's things like skill titles. If this "Wurm Lite" is the plan then Rolf and Co. needs to make this clear before putting WU up for sale on steam. I would dispute my steam purchase at this point if such a bait and switch was done. Because, again, they've made it pretty clear the goal for the two is to have them nearly identical.

A few advantages to playing WO?

Community, longevity, you can sell your ingame assets for RL money (I'm assuming things aren't going to crash like some seem to think). 

Nice explanation of the differences Viti. Pretty much on point I think and the details within your "long" version would no doubt be even more interesting.

To me the main thing that Wurm Online offers over Wurm Unlimited is stability and guarantee of access for as long as it continues to remain.

There is no way I would submit myself to be under the control of anyone else within their private server. Even those with the best intentions can loose interest and close it down without notice, since they are under no contractual obligations to maintain it to any defined standards. Under these lesser constraints anything I built there would be a waste of time in my opinion, more well fitting into the concerns that the OP express only are misdirected at the wrong game.

If the primary concern are the costs involved as the OP also suggested, then sure WU is the way to go but there you are either isolated within your own closed world or in a group setting with standards dictated by those in control of it. Rub them the wrong way, which I may have a habit of doing and bye, bye.

=Ayes=

Edited by Ayes

My biggest concern is that you could easily have a server that offers all of those things not run by Rolf, and who charges less for it. That concerns me because:

1. That means all my work on the official servers will be wasted if that other server is offering a better deal.

2. Whoever runs that server isn't going to be putting money into the improvement of the game / development of additional features.

True, but on the other hand you can never be guaranteed that this private server is properly backing up everything, or as often as it's done on the official servers. One crash and gone is all the work of the past X days. Or one harddisk issue and gone is all the data, ever (like how Wurm once had to wipe everything many many many years ago because there wasn't a good backup at the time). Knowing how badly most people do backups of even their own systems, I wouldn't be so quick to trust any private server, or even myself, with ensuring that proper backups happen.

The main advantage of WO is that it already has a lot of players, there already is a rich history and infrastructure and many experienced players that, to my experience, are more than happy to help new players along and create awesome communities. The server is also hosted by an experienced and paid team, there is a balanced ingame economy, guaranteed server availability, multiple game modes and GMs to provide a safe environment.

Private and community server can be a lot of fun as well, but there is no guarantee those will be running for years and have good support.

Also, while WO does have a monthly fee for a premium account, it does not have a front up cost that WU will have.

• Like 2

Playing WO will have established real world value for your time and efforts.

Edited by Uberknot

Is it just a "there will be more people" thing or will Wurm Unlimited be a bit less full featured?

My concern is that people will just open up their own servers on WU that will offer everything Wurm can offer except you wont have to pay so much for deeds and such, and the MMO will just die so all the work I'm currently doing on Wurm Online is a waste.

Does anyone know, or could a developer comment on why that won't be the case?

There is an amazing number of free and open source software choices for businesses to build on, and many of these options are incredible pieces of work.

This has not stopped the comparatively expensive Microsoft stack from being immensely popular. Why? Simple: because Microsoft offers support that many of the free software options can't.

Wurm Online has a lot to offer that will be difficult (if not outright impossible) to offer on a Wurm Unlimited private server. A lot of those things have little-to-no value to me (community, trade, support, etc.) but for a lot of people, those are a must if you want the full Wurm experience.

Edited by FlakAttack

Wurm Online advantage:

You are in the wilderness and discover a very decayed suit of armor. You can only speculate that these are the remains of some unfortunate traveler. Nobody is in local and there is no evidence of settlement anywhere nearby. There is an eerie feeling in the air.

Wurm Unlimited would feel empty and artificial. You would not encounter the mysterious presences of old lands and would never feel the eyes of the spirits of the past; only a fabricated generic world that could easily toggle away. Is is so temporary because it is so thin.

• Like 4

Wurm Online advantage:

You are in the wilderness and discover a very decayed suit of armor. You can only speculate that these are the remains of some unfortunate traveler. Nobody is in local and there is no evidence of settlement anywhere nearby. There is an eerie feeling in the air.

Wurm Unlimited would feel empty and artificial. You would not encounter the mysterious presences of old lands and would never feel the eyes of the spirits of the past; only a fabricated generic world that could easily toggle away. Is is so temporary because it is so thin.

Probably at least 3 people will continue to play Wurm Online because of this (myself included).

No new players will though.

This is full of opinion and assumption.

• Like 2

Tbh im pretty sure the private servers will be more stable. Cant get much worse than the WO servers

It depends on if you have a private server with many friends you invited over to play.  If you can recreate a real community on WU, then there isn't a lot of reason for WO.  However, most will not be able to establish a thriving community on WU and will need WO to enjoy that aspect of play.

Don't ever step into a game, thinking "if I work really hard, I can earn real coins from this".  It will never be more than you can earn with a minimum wage part time job.

my two coppers of opinion.

A fantastic pick on WO server is worth 300€. A fantastic pick on WU server where a population of 20 is laging the server will be worth... 20 copper? Need I say more? I guess its not all about the money so I will say more. Roads, infrastructure and community built throughout years and hundreds or players also brings an appeal in favor of WO. Just visit Freedom Market to get that coc pick instead of grinding for 300 days to get to enough faith and channeling to be able to do an average cast (or exaggerating here but you get my point).

• Like 2

If you want pvp aspect of wurm i cant see that in WU. Join a server that maybe is controlled by one guy or a grp. I can imagine all the exploiting. Or if you invest some time in it and the owner goes back to wow. GG.

We will see tho.

If you want pvp aspect of wurm i cant see that in WU. Join a server that maybe is controlled by one guy or a grp. I can imagine all the exploiting. Or if you invest some time in it and the owner goes back to wow. GG.

We will see tho.

If you think about, you will realize that doesn't matter in the end,

I bet if people want to boost just pvp the rates of server will be high enough to allow you to be ready to fight or compete in a short time, so if you find the server have issues with corruption or exploit, you leave asap and find another one, and since you don't pay a suscription, worst case scenery you just lost some days/hours of work.

I don't play the game personally, because my pc can't handle it, but the situation you describe happens in Ark: Survival evolved all time, and people don't seem to care much about, they just switch servers until they find one good enough to stay.

Uhm, the only advantage is interaction with people unless you are playing WO with your friends. Unfortunately that includes negative interaction. Also there is no advantage to personal interaction unless your play style warrants it. If you don't care if you interact with others then WO has no advantage. 

• Like 3

One of the things that drew me to Wurm that still has yet to happen in a more regular fashion is the territorial warfare between groups/clans/kingdoms. This is mostly due to I believe the low population of WO If WU allows for the same rates and speed as WO, but just introduces more players, and there is a PvP server out there that consistently gets 100+ at once, count me aboard.

This RPS article is what attracted me to Wurm in the first place. I wish more moments like this happened. 

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/03/24/pitchfork-media-a-portrait-of-wurm-online/

As it stands right now, WU will have some critical parts unavailable unless they are addressed before launch. Warlander has responded to these in the Announcement thread if you care to look for his replies.

Anything requiring two or more characters won't be possible to be done as it is currently (as far as I know as none of us have seen WU to test it). Steam only allows a single instance of itself to be run on a system. Therefore, you will only be able to have one client running at a time and, thus, only one character. Multiboxing, unless addressed (Warlander has said it should be possible to address this), is not going to be possible as it currently stands. I am sure all of these can be done via the GM mode, but for a pure experience, they will not be possible.

Bridges, as designed, require two people online at the same. 

All rites require more than one priest online and linked, 300 favor casts need at least 3 100 Faith priests.

Many powerful spells require more than 100 favor. Without a second priest present and linked, they can't be cast.

Unless they plan to put the altars found on Chaos and I suppose Epic (PvPers can probably explain this better), you won't have anyone to convert you to a religion. You also won't have anyone to bestow priesthood on you. Even in a multiplayer server arrangement, the altars are going to have to be there so someone can gain a faith to convert others to.

Like I said, Warlander has replied to all of these but I think the religion conversion (as I don't recall seeing it posted yet) and GM mode should be able to let you just poof these things into existence.

for single PC owners, there is the option of virtualization, to create multiple virtual PCs on a single machine.  However, depending on the type of virtualization, your graphics will be crap, from a client perspective.

• A population which is already established, vs a server which could die through a single action the GM's perform.

You may, or may not have already invested your time here.

Promise that the servers will not close.

Guarantee that server administrators and developers are fair to the community and will not break the economy, only keep it in check.

All that I could gather off the top of my head at this moment. It's pretty early..