Sign in to follow this  
Palgolak

Wurm Unlimited poll

Wurm Unlimited  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think you will buy Wurm Unlimited?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  2. 2. If you buy Wurm Unlimited, do you think you will also play Wurm Online?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
    • (I won't buy Wurm Unlimited)

It is, you are forced to answer

'if you buy Wurm Unlimited, do you think you will continue to play Wurm Online?'

It wont let you complete the poll if you don't already play the game i.e. its only getting a segment of the auidance yet its portraying that it is polling the whole community, when it is not.

It either requires a change of the polls title or a change of the questions, as its loaded and biased as it currently stands.

In what way? Do you think you will buy it? Yes or no. You either will or you won't. It doesn't matter if you play WO now or do not play WO now.

However, the second question is qualified by first. If you aren't going to buy it, he's not interested in your answer about playing WO. Ever been rejected for a survey because of a demographic you didn't fit? It's the same method here. His target audience is people who will buy Unlimited.

Furthermore, no poll asks an entire community. It portrays a demographically selected porportion of a community. In this case, people who will buy WU. It's not loaded and it's not biased. He's simply not interested in your opinion if "A =/= Yes."

My vote.

Yes, I will probably buy WU.

Yes, I will keep playing WO.

I will use WU to design and test because deleting  a data file is a lot easier than getting out a catapult. Besides, it's a one off purchase. If he does DLC future patches, they are generally far apart. If I am not interested in green spiderskin leggings, I won't buy it. LOL

Edited by Audrel

My last 3 premium times i have bought i have played maybe a total of a week of them out of two month time purchases :( work and life ...brutal

WU will ultimately save me a bundle and give me the oppertunity to drop my internet bill alltogether :D

Im extremely happy since i started playing this a few years ago from the start i dreamed of an offline standalone version the game is unique in almost every aspect the gameplay is very nearly perfected but WO just breaks my heart the shear time you must invest in it to become something of note is mind boggleing and as much as i love the game i dont see my self playing it for 5+ years just to max one skill out, AS long as they dont make it require the steam client to launch the game WU will be a godsend to me and i will gladly pay very nearly what ever they ask for it :) within reason of course

1. Yes, I will definitely try WU.

2. Maybe. If my standalone experience in WU will be good (or at least acceptable) I won't actively play WO anymore. But I'll at least keep a freemium alt in WO to be able to chat with old friends :P

Edited by Borgir

Don't forget that we might see an influx of entirely new players that are interested in WU and by that chance discover WO.

Wow, I was telling some friends that i think WO would take a 20% hit in population.  I feel this poll might prove me right.

Wow, I was telling some friends that i think WO would take a 20% hit in population.  I feel this poll might prove me right.

Edited by Borgir

I want to buy it, but I am on Linux, so I have to wait and see if they make a Linux version on Steam. I really can't believe a game that runs on Java won't be available for anything but Windows because of how Steam ships things. Unbelievable.

• Like 3

There are a lot of accounts, in-game currency and items up for sale due to the WU announcement. The trend is starting to establish itself but I think it will reach a saturation point and eventually die down. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people selling now will regret it later on if WO does in fact benefit from WU. Besides, if people are selling their accounts successfully, that means people are buying them and that means the population actually isn't dropping at all on the public servers.

I think it's too early to "assume" anything. People are jumping ship to try and get a return on their investment now thinking everything is going to tank. Most of those people seem to be long-time players who have high skills, high QL items and lots of gold or silver to sell. The way I see it, if there is an influx of new players there will be a lot more opportunities to sell things in the near future. High skill players will be in demand since there will be so many low skill players chomping at the bit to buy things to make their lives easier. The market may start to drop once those new players become high skill but that's still a long time from now.

If anything there are some deals out there to be snatched up by those of us who are sticking to our guns and waiting to see what happens. After all, there's not enough of a long-term trend or statistical signficance yet for anyone to predict accurately what's going to happen. So to those who are staying all I'm thinking right now is reap the benefits, especially alliances who's members are sticking together instead of just jumping ship based on "what ifs".

• Like 1

Sorry, it is still too biased. The second question is here to try and show that buying WU will make people stop playing WO if they are, or not want to play if they aren't.

Any bias is unintentional. I'm actually quite excited about Wurm Unlimited.

But feel free to create your own poll!

I want to buy it, but I am on Linux, so I have to wait and see if they make a Linux version on Steam. I really can't believe a game that runs on Java won't be available for anything but Windows because of how Steam ships things. Unbelievable.

+1 for Linux

Also it would be nice if Steam is only optional. Steam is unnecessary DRM with unpredictable future conditions.

I wouldn't want to run several Steam clients for each alt, etc...

• Like 1

Any bias is unintentional. I'm actually quite excited about Wurm Unlimited.

But feel free to create your own poll!

its not that important anyway to me it is just a simple gauge to see if the current player base is interested and leaving or intend to stay the ones that have left do not factor into most of the peoples fears anyway since they are not here playing now. 

Maybe I'm missing something, but how can you tell from these polls that WO population will increase? AFAIK, only current WO players vote here.

From the poll alone, the population is going to take a hit.  Now, how long till players who didnt play wurm online and buy wurm unlimited?  Can't poll that, but I have been showing people I know who don't play wurm, and they still wont try wurm unlimited and they are avid survival game players on steam.  I hope that I am wrong and the community grows, but I can't see the future.  

From the poll alone, the population is going to take a hit.  Now, how long till players who didnt play wurm online and buy wurm unlimited?  Can't poll that, but I have been showing people I know who don't play wurm, and they still wont try wurm unlimited and they are avid survival game players on steam.  I hope that I am wrong and the community grows, but I can't see the future.  

Giving players the freedom to control their own worlds in a sandbox game will be very popular I fully expect many many more people playing on Steam than WO.  The good thing is all that money coming in will keep WO running for a very long time.

• Like 1

I voted *maybe* on whether I'll buy it.  But only because it's Steam.  If it wasn't through Steam I'd have said definitely yes.  I probably will though since it's a one-time purchase.  I have no interest in running my own server but a couple friends are planning to, and while I generally refuse to play any game on private servers run by people I don't know, these are trusted friends.  :)  Just wish I didn't have to go through Steam.

I will definitely keep playing WO, keeping my premium and deeds, etc.

• Like 3

From the poll alone, the population is going to take a hit.

Again, it doesn't make any sense, because (I repeat) only current WO players vote here... eh nvm :P

Or do you mean negative hit? That'd make much more sense...

Edited by Borgir

Some of the people that will buy will not be playing Wurm again anyhow and have stopped playing.

Thank you for the poll.  What Uber says above is very true.  I basically don't play anymore.  I just log in to say hi to allies and log out.  But I'll be buying WU the day it releases.

Edited by Wurmhole

Why waste money on a offline version of a game I already play!.Might be the biggest dream to everyone else but not mine.

Because, if both versions are essentially the same, the cost of the offline version should cost less than half a year of Premium time. So why pay for premium time when you can pay once for lifetime premium offline. I'm not even considering if you need to purchase silver coins for deed upkeep.

There are a lot of accounts, in-game currency and items up for sale due to the WU announcement. The trend is starting to establish itself but I think it will reach a saturation point and eventually die down. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the people selling now will regret it later on if WO does in fact benefit from WU. Besides, if people are selling their accounts successfully, that means people are buying them and that means the population actually isn't dropping at all on the public servers.

I think it's too early to "assume" anything. People are jumping ship to try and get a return on their investment now thinking everything is going to tank. Most of those people seem to be long-time players who have high skills, high QL items and lots of gold or silver to sell. The way I see it, if there is an influx of new players there will be a lot more opportunities to sell things in the near future. High skill players will be in demand since there will be so many low skill players chomping at the bit to buy things to make their lives easier. The market may start to drop once those new players become high skill but that's still a long time from now.

If anything there are some deals out there to be snatched up by those of us who are sticking to our guns and waiting to see what happens. After all, there's not enough of a long-term trend or statistical signficance yet for anyone to predict accurately what's going to happen. So to those who are staying all I'm thinking right now is reap the benefits, especially alliances who's members are sticking together instead of just jumping ship based on "what ifs".

A good post. I liked it because you follow a logical train of thought here as you lay out your speculations about how things will go as we progress into the release of Wurm Unlimited. Not that I agree with all your conclusions, as there are divergent paths that can easily be taken to alter the outcome. Still, the cautious approach I always find the best one to take rather than make any rash decisions as some endorse. In this much we concur, even though I don't find your response to fit well with this "poll".

Happy Trails

=Ayes=

Regarding Linux... if it's ONLY about the launching from Steam bit, not an issue.

Otherwise.... maybe WINE could run the server and client side logs in normally as it runs on all platforms..... if that's not "complete" enough theeeen.... 

VMWare can handle the server side of things for sure as it wouldn't be running the graphics anyways..... 

At least that's what I hope will happen =P

((That's for solo mode, that is.  To HOST a server for a few more people, I'd be renting some form of rack space anyways.  Friend of mine has a small-ish business hosting servers in the UK, seems to be doing good, I can vouch for his honesty as a businessman that's for sure.  When launch date's closer I'll contact him and make a mention here if anyone wants the price list sent in PM's so as to not spam advertisement on forums))

My friends and I had a discussion about WU vs WO over the weekend. We live on Xan. We rarely see anyone yet we still have to be concerned about security of what we create. It can be bashed, dug, cut up, cut down, dug up and generally our gaming experience ruined due to the mental problems another person may have in the game. Rolf doesn't give a rat's as* about it, that's why he never does anything about it. Most of us have been giving him money over the past several years to play WURM. Now there's a way for us to play and pay him only once and we don't have to worry about Dev sponsored griefing. So we'll pay him once more and set up our own server. 

So, thanks Rolf for this solution to griefers. Appreciate it.

• Like 2

I don't play WO much any more. The cost is greater than the amount of time I care to devote to it. WU is the perfect alternative for me.

• Like 2

My friends and I had a discussion about WU vs WO over the weekend. We live on Xan. We rarely see anyone yet we still have to be concerned about security of what we create. It can be bashed, dug, cut up, cut down, dug up and generally our gaming experience ruined due to the mental problems another person may have in the game. Rolf doesn't give a rat's as* about it, that's why he never does anything about it. Most of us have been giving him money over the past several years to play WURM. Now there's a way for us to play and pay him only once and we don't have to worry about Dev sponsored griefing. So we'll pay him once more and set up our own server. 

So, thanks Rolf for this solution to griefers. Appreciate it.

Amen!!!