Sign in to follow this  
Ayes

When Will All The Panic Sales Start?

Well even if you hate WU it's still a separate title, this isn't like a SWG situation or anything like that.

You have reached your quota of positive votes for the day

Yuh lykes kartunies eye guez. I find that more frightening that the whole WU concept forthcoming. Hurts de eyibalz it duz!

=Ayes=

When I see players trying to dump thier scale sets I will know it's time to head for the life boat.

Guess what no scale sets for sale.

• Like 1

I don't see much difference in the sales going on right now than there were before.  Maybe a small handful selling stuff they wanted to sell anyway but trying to make it look like their predictions are coming true.  Most people are not sensationalists who thrive on stirring up tempests in teapots.  And I suspect the few who are shouting themselves hoarse over this, will run out of steam eventually.  lol

Personally, I have no intention of leaving WO.  I love my deeds, and my location, and am having a perfectly lovely time playing Wurm right now.

And I seriously doubt if there's anything even remotely approaching a *majority* of the player base that is going to permanently flock to WU and kill WO. 

There are as many reasons why people currently play WO, as there are people playing it.   I don't see that changing much.  There will be some, sure, who will run off for what they perceive as greener pastures.  Some will like it and some won't. For some it really will be better.  Que sera sera.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with options for those who are unhappy with WO the way it is.

I don't see this as any different than if a new Wurm-like game was being released. Suddenly certain personality types would be loudly proclaiming that it's a Wurm killer, predict the mass exodus of all but the most die-hard Wurmians,  and spam the forums with their *advice* that it's better to panic now than later.  Sound familiar?

WU will have enough differences that there are those of us who will either not try it at all, or will try it and then drift back to WO. 

There are those who will play both.

There are those who never tried WO, (or tried it way back before any of the new cool stuff), who try WU and who like it but maybe find it lacking in some ways and will migrate over to WO.

There are those, like myself, who have zero interest in running our own server.

There are those who don't like the idea of private servers and prefer to deal with the established company who developed the game.

There are those for whom the word *free* has very little influence on their decisions. 

As my mom used to say, it all comes out in the wash.  WO will survive.

For one thing, Rolf has said that Steam will not allow multiple clients to be run at the same time, so that will count out those who get enjoyment from multi-tasking. 

He has also stated that it will not be available in any way outside of Steam.  That will also leave out a large segment of the population (that might actually be the deal breaker for me as well, I haven't made a solid decision on that part yet).  In my opinion, these two things alone will exclude a large number of people from pulling up stakes and leaving.

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

I don't see much difference in the sales going on right now than there were before.  Maybe a small handful selling stuff they wanted to sell anyway but trying to make it look like their predictions are coming true.  Most people are not sensationalists who thrive on stirring up tempests in teapots.  And I suspect the few who are shouting themselves hoarse over this, will run out of steam eventually.  lol

Personally, I have no intention of leaving WO.  I love my deeds, and my location, and am having a perfectly lovely time playing Wurm right now.

And I seriously doubt if there's anything even remotely approaching a *majority* of the player base that is going to permanently flock to WU and kill WO. 

There are as many reasons why people currently play WO, as there are people playing it.   I don't see that changing much.  There will be some, sure, who will run off for what they perceive as greener pastures.  Some will like it and some won't. For some it really will be better.  Que sera sera.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with options for those who are unhappy with WO the way it is.

I don't see this as any different than if a new Wurm-like game was being released. Suddenly certain personality types would be loudly proclaiming that it's a Wurm killer, predict the mass exodus of all but the most die-hard Wurmians,  and spam the forums with their *advice* that it's better to panic now than later.  Sound familiar?

WU will have enough differences that there are those of us who will either not try it at all, or will try it and then drift back to WO. 

There are those who will play both.

There are those who never tried WO, (or tried it way back before any of the new cool stuff), who try WU and who like it but maybe find it lacking in some ways and will migrate over to WO.

There are those, like myself, who have zero interest in running our own server.

There are those who don't like the idea of private servers and prefer to deal with the established company who developed the game.

There are those for whom the word *free* has very little influence on their decisions. 

As my mom used to say, it all comes out in the wash.  WO will survive.

For one thing, Rolf has said that Steam will not allow multiple clients to be run at the same time, so that will count out those who get enjoyment from multi-tasking. 

He has also stated that it will not be available in any way outside of Steam.  That will also leave out a large segment of the population (that might actually be the deal breaker for me as well, I haven't made a solid decision on that part yet).  In my opinion, these two things alone will exclude a large number of people from pulling up stakes and leaving.

Preach it

33 days until the world ends, its been nice knowing you guys

What panic sales? I'm just going to make a lot of tools and sell them to newbie whales when they come around to the servers.

• Like 2

It's real simple guys and gals to determine if you need to sell some stuff or not.  See what category you fit into and that will tell you what to do: 

A: Oh my.  I have 10 gold of stuff and I have a real life need that it could really really help with.  You should sell regardless of what you think will happen to Wurm.  Failing to meet your real life needs to play a game? Get serious and sell some stuff today.  I know that this is the case of at least one of the people currently selling out everything.  Play for free if you want to keep playing;

B:  I don't need the money today, but if Wurm shuts down, I really can't afford the loss.  Sell today to the point you could afford the loss if it all just went away.  Again, this is a game.  Get real.  Keep in mind the risk that has not been talked about of something physical happening to key personal or game data.  If for whatever reason and circumstances (again) the data just all goes poof, you are out of luck.  What happens to Wurm if key personal should unfortunately be involved in a serious accident this afternoon?  Would Wurm survive the loss? The list goes on of very real ways totally unrelated to current announcements that Wurm could overnight just cease to operate.  Keep this in mind and manage your Wurm holdings appropriately;

C: I can afford the loss but if I did lose it, I'd kick myself.  You can do what you want, but you are probably overinvested in the game.  Scale back a bit.  Do you really need all that nice stuff you haven't even used in a year?  If the time comes you need it again, just go shopping.

D: Oh well, guess it's gone.  Time for dinner and a movie I guess.  No need to sell anything at all and maybe even buy something nice if the price is right.  Stay the course and enjoy.  (This is my personal category.)

E: Wow, I'm a high risk type of person and can afford to have some fun and take a bit of a gamble.  Buy Buy Buy if you feel the price is right.

My guess is that many long-time players are a lot or maybe just a bit over "invested" in Wurm if they were to look around and start adding everything up and need to balance out their "holdings".  If current events help you to understand this, then good.

• Like 2

..... WTT Lv70 Fo priest for MS-Office 97 trial code ^_^

(What?  I sometimes also like to troll ...but with style, no personal attacks, just trollfacery)

The guys who are talking about money loss are forgetting that they talk about a GAME no more no less. Just becouse they investet or got rich ingame becouse of selling some stuff they got nothing more than pixels and now they wanna blame Rolf for that? Sorry but thats just stupid! Thats why account and item selling is not allowed in the most MMOs!

• Like 3

It's real simple guys and gals to determine if you need to sell some stuff or not.  See what category you fit into and that will tell you what to do: 

A:-

B:-

C:-

D:-

E: Wow, I'm a high risk type of person and can afford to have some fun and take a bit of a gamble.  Buy Buy Buy if you feel the price is right.

My guess is that many long-time players are a lot or maybe just a bit over "invested" in Wurm if they were to look around and start adding everything up and need to balance out their "holdings".

Are you a stock broker or investment "advisor"? A-E pretty much follows their advice, only difference is that they are attempting to sell others something for their profit, so I will attribute your motive to something positive rather than self interest. But yea, read some book on investing in stocks and you will see this same pattern emerge on when to buy or sell.

Still, this post is not about that but rather observing the sales of items/characters in relation to others predictions of the fall of WO when WU is released in an attempt to ascertain if they are believing the claims they are making by cashing out now before the fall. Yet hope *springs* eternal, does it not?

=Ayes=

If I were still active in the game, this would be the perfect time to stock up on "fire sales".  I really only have time to keep up on the forums from time to time, so am missing out on all the goodies.

This panic is actually healthy for the game balance.  Some old accounts and high end gear will move from old players to new.  New players that invest heavily are much less likely to quit that casual new players.

Another huge benefit is that people most likely to quit are the ones most afraid of change.  Change is what Wurm needs most to survive or even thrive.  If we trim off the old cranky, stubborn, vocal change blockers, it makes more room for the new blood to voice their approval of game changing ideas.

I watch the forums and see very consistent protests from the same people, anytime ideas pop up that can make wurm better for a larger population - more appealing to larger crowds - funny how so many of those people have been protesting WU as well.  Guess what? New players will buy your stuff and have plenty of fun with your alts, when you are gone.  Code Club will release more radical code, when your voices of "we want the old ways forever!" are gone.  I expect to see you linger in the forums for a few months, just hoping for an "I told you so" moment, but eventually you will fade away and be completely forgotten, as the new generations flow in with more new ideas.

So, please sell.  Many are eager to pick up some great deals :)

• Like 5

Change is what Wurm needs most to survive or even thrive.  

They are not changing Wurm as we know it. If there were any changes to Wurm Online in that announcement, then I must have overlooked them completely.

I can simplify your perception of this whole matter down to this: they are launching a new sphere of games, Wurm Unlimited, which will be unconnected to the MMO.

Many are of the opinion that this will drain the playerbase of Wurm Online. I agree on that, especially after seeing how many current players that are looking forward to playing MU. 

So it is not about people not wanting the game to evolve, rather that we are sad that the community will become fragmented from now on.

This is about the evolution of the game.  This is one of those quantum leaps.  Our typical evolution is "now we will have blue dragons" - leads to an additional 10 seconds of fun.  WU is a vehicle for this company to generate massively needed income.  Without this, or other quantum leaps in evolution, Wurm has zero chance of surviving long term.  If Code Club thought otherwise, would they have taken this step?

WO is an old couch that seats 3 people and is worn to tatters.  Comfortable as heck!  However, if you want to have lots of visitors, you need some new couches, an entertainment center for movies and maybe a nice wet bar.  Otherwise, only the same three people are going to come over to hang out.  So the hostess must tell her man to drag that old couch out to the garage, where he and his two loyal buddies can sit, drink beers and watch the game on their old 13" black & white tv.  The couch didn't get thrown out.  It will always be there in the garage.

Interestingly though, over time, the parties in the main house have grown and are so big, that the hostess decided to completely reupholster the old couch and open the garage for all to enjoy. The beer drinking buddies weren't pleased.  One of them left and was never seen again.  The other two toughed it out and much to their surprise, discovered the couch was much more comfortable AND they made a lot of new friends.

There is a different story that goes something like this:  hostess says "please take the couch to the garage".  Man says heck no.  Next day when man comes home from work to sit on his couch, the locks are changed, hostess has moved and couch is in the dumpster.  Now that man and his buddies have no place to sit.

• Like 4

Let the fickle morons sell. The rest of us will be better off.

Worst case scenario is that WU flops and doesn't impact us at all. Not even sure what the panic is about. The change I'm unsure of, but I know it won't end Wurm. It might be really neat to host a private server and give the boot to obnoxious people.

• Like 3

I have one philosophy in game playing, I stop playing when it's not fun.

I don't buy much, good weapons and good armour if I need it, pay for the upkeep of a small 1s/month deed, and prem, not difficult when I pay for 1 month plus 1 silver, does both jobs at once.

Everything else I make do with the best I can make, honestly, I can't see the reason for any fuss, I can't even understand the 'I've got $$$ invested in this' types, I rarely have any idea what anything is worth, after more than 4 years playing.

There's no way of knowing how WU will affect WO, if at all, not even CC and Rolf can answer that.

People who decide that a fire sale is the way to go have my best wishes for whatever game they decide to play, I just hope they don't come back after a year or so and realise that nothing really changed, apart from the possibility Wurm got a nice cash injection and things got better.

It all just reminds me of the 'Wurm is doomed' scenario when Epic opened, yet here we are still.... Apart from those who ragequit after selling their stuff, they lost out on a lot of market activity since.

• Like 3

The only part that bothers me is years of new servers scattering friends and enemies farther and farther away, now with more possibly leaving for awhile or good makes the game seem even smaller.

While yes the game has grown over the years the community keeps getting spread thinner.

The only part that bothers me is years of new servers scattering friends and enemies farther and farther away, now with more possibly leaving for awhile or good makes the game seem even smaller.

While yes the game has grown over the years the community keeps getting spread thinner.

You're coming with us though right? I mean, why the would you stay and suffer the slog-grind when we can build the utopia we always dreamed of? Free of Rolf's tweaking. I HAVE A DREAM!

• Like 1

The sound of having both sheep and Grizzly in local still haunts me to this day.

Starting to see a lot more sales activity now. Then with the silver/gold and accounts being sold off this indicates that those players are bailing out of the game. Still, this seems rather premature and surprising, unless those players are just in it for these profits that they can make in game. Then it makes more sense since after Wurm Unlimited opens up the old Wurm Online playerbase will thin out some.

Then I see these current unrealistic prices being unable to be maintained and they should continue to gradually decline until they reach some sensible levels not inflated by the excess silver holders. Also the new players that replace them will be much less likely to pour their hard earned cash into these items that add little significant value in game in comparison to their pricing.

In the end these departures are good for everyone in the game as the old grudges gradually are less heard and the game is less expensive to play for everyone involved.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

Ayes the way I see the first 4 or 5 sets out there are the ones who are trying to get the full 300e to 400e for them.

Now why the hell someone would pay bust out retail for them is beyond me.

Personally its a little premature.

One might get better prices if they wait till after WU release.

Major additions and new features in any game tend to bring a wave of new and old players back, thus increasing demand for "starter" chars.

Increased demand tends to lead towards higher prices (granted that works better when supply is also low).

I think wurm online population will drop after the release of the cheaper Wurms unlimited and this is where I will come in. I will be hosting a server for wurms unlimited and will be allowing people to transfer characters / items to my server aka boosting people as long as they can provide proof they own a charterer with the stats they request on wurms online.