Sign in to follow this  
Uberknot

Wurm Unlimited on Steam! can't wait!

How much are they paying you?

Paying? I have been waiting for this for 5-6 years....

I will admit. I'm enjoying the popcorn moments as people break out into hysterics.

To be honest though, the way this was just dumped on our laps was... well... sofa king typical of Code Club AB's historically bad Public Relations department.

Whoever thought Wurm players are the type of fanbase that enjoys surprises should be fired... out of a catapult.

This should've been hinted at, then hyped up months in advance. Then, it should've been announced with fanfare, rather than fan-fear. The closest we got was a snippet in News #76, that was buried in a paragraph.

Edited by Dairuka
  • Like 3

This should've been hinted at, then hyped up months in advance. Then, it should've been announced with fanfare, rather than fan-fear. The closest we got was a snippet in News #76, that was buried in a paragraph.

They dropped it in our laps as they knew it was going to court controversy. If they had allowed for debate or a build up ahead of it showing up on Steam the pressure from the more outraged and vocal community members could have scared Rolf into rethinking things. We all know he's historically been fairly easy to coerce with exaggerated raaaaage so just announcing it like this means it's a done deal, no discussion needed, no negotiation - it's just happening.

Probably the best way.

• Like 4

I will admit. I'm enjoying the popcorn moments as people break out into hysterics.

To be honest though, the way this was just dumped on our laps was... well... sofa king typical of Code Club AB's historically bad Public Relations department.

Whoever thought Wurm players are the type of fanbase that enjoys surprises should be fired... out of a catapult.

What if i told you that the majority of the staff members actually had no idea this was going to happen... I guess outside of those that frequent the small snippets hidden in paragraphs.

Edited by Propheteer

What if i told you that the majority of the staff members actually had no idea this was going to happen... I guess outside of those that frequent the small snippets hidden in paragraphs.

It's obvious, seeing the postings of major staff members on the FAQ thread

I honest to god might buy it if it has like a "Creative" or superfast skilling mode just to make nice looking castles and stuff... that is if the price is right... and it's a one time purchase. 20$ and no more is what WU should sell for, anymore than that and you'll have way more refunds instead of people going " eh that game was ok i guess" and keeping it in their libraries. 

It is beautiful drinking the tears of the forums in the mean time tho.

But I'll never be playing WO again. Biggest waste of time ever, considering the stagnation that rolf brought on. 

Edited by Radni

The fun part of it is the jaded past and present players leaving bad comments on the steam store page hoping it will derail the game, lol 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 1

seeing as how I recommended this several years ago when Epic was released and so many were let down by the aspects of such a "string pulling" D&D server, when the majority of PvP players at the time wanted a "resetting" map every 6 months...

I commend you on this move Rolf, and hopefully the strategy is profitable enough to keep Code Club standing for years to come.  Wurm has always been a great world simulator and game engine with so many possibilities that it is silly to limit the possibilities to what the current "Wurm Community" wants.

Obviously, Rolf could not do continual experiments with drastic "tweaked" one of a kind servers and keep the community happy.  Let someone else take the cost of Servers/player angst and find the "right" combination that brings out the popularity of the game engine.

The fun part of it is the jaded past and present players leaving bad comments on the steam store page hoping it will derail the game, lol 

I am loving it lol.

I hope we get some more information in this weeks update on WU maybe a more long term plan on how they expect things to go or something..idk

people are freaking out over nothing

just don't play it if you don't like it

it was fun with everyone getting into teamspeak and losing their like we were all jacked up on mountain dew because it was at 5am

in reality all this will do is increase the overall player quality because all the loners and solo people that've wanted this for a long time will just leave to play it, and all the social, people who enjoy the game, will stay and play

also someone else said comparing it to life is feudal, that playerbase has wanted the mmo for a year or two now, wurm can come out the gates saying they have both now, so that'll probably bottleneck people who love mmo's and what wurm is to the actual game we're all playing

• Like 1

They dropped it in our laps as they knew it was going to court controversy. If they had allowed for debate or a build up ahead of it showing up on Steam the pressure from the more outraged and vocal community members could have scared Rolf into rethinking things. We all know he's historically been fairly easy to coerce with exaggerated raaaaage so just announcing it like this means it's a done deal, no discussion needed, no negotiation - it's just happening.

Probably the best way.

Hilariously pathetic.

To be honest, this would hurt Wurm a lot instead of helping it... Some players will leave WO for WU, but this will be overcompensated with wave of WU players joining WO if game will be well received.

• Like 1

To be honest, this would hurt Wurm a lot instead of helping it... Some players will leave WO for WU, but this will be overcompensated with wave of WU players joining WO if game will be well received.

well its not me doing it, lol (i am pro WU all the way) 

Edit: I posted that really so maybe people would go over to look and leave positive comments about the game. If you are against the steam version or not complaining about the game will not stop it from happening it only hurts wurm as a whole. 

Edited by Kegan

Yep, that's why I don't understand most negative comments - if you don't like the idea simply don't buy and play it, giving Wurm bad PR will just make things worse both for WO and WU. :)

Yep, that's why I don't understand most negative comments - if you don't like the idea simply don't buy and play it, giving Wurm bad PR will just make things worse both for WO and WU. :)

That's either ignorant or in bad faith. Just not buying it doesn't help, wurm is about the long-term community, if anyone leaves for WU, the people who don't are still screwed. Making WU fail can help retain people in WO.

Edited by Theshrike

That's either ignorant or in bad faith. Just not buying it doesn't help, wurm is about the long-term community, if anyone leaves for WU, the people who don't are still screwed.

What does it say about the people that are left playing WO... that there are people who have played Wurm in the past that are as giddy as a school girl at a Justin Beiber concert for WU?  ;)

It takes  a special breed to "like" a 30 second timer... and be excited when its only a 17 second timer.

Just imagine... A Wurm Ultimate Zombie survival server.... Salivating just thinking about all the brains!

What does it say about the people that are left playing WO... that there are people who have played Wurm in the past that are as giddy as a school girl at a Justin Beiber concert for WU?  ;)

It takes  a special breed to "like" a 30 second timer... and be excited when its only a 17 second timer.

Just imagine... A Wurm Ultimate Zombie survival server.... Salivating just thinking about all the brains!

There's different kinds of "liking". You're thinking only about the instant gratification like eating food or drugs. There's other kinds too, like what you get doing sports. Running as fast as you can and getting tackled hurts like hell and aren't fun at all, but people still like football for deeper satisfactions like building up to acchieve something, or winning despites the pain it takes. Something doesn't have to be nice and easy to be enjoyable.

A wurm zombie survival, I imagine it would be great for about 30 minutes if it does something more than the 300 other zombie survival games.

Edited by Theshrike

There's different kinds of "liking". You're thinking only about the instant gratification like eating food or drugs. There's other kinds too, like what you get doing sports. Running as fast as you can and getting tackled hurts like hell and aren't fun at all, but people still like football for deeper satisfactions like building up to acchieve something, or winning despites the pain it takes. Something doesn't have to be nice and easy to be enjoyable.

A wurm zombie survival, I imagine it would be great for about 30 minutes if it does something more than the 300 other zombie survival games.

And how many people are still playing Left 4 Dead ;)  How many people bought 3 or 4 different versions of games designed around the HL2 Game Engine?

You aren't seeing the big picture.  Wurm is a game engine.  You've been playing 1 version of it.  For most people, its not a version they like in a Game Genre.  I played the game myself for the better part of 10 years and just couldn't do it anymore.  And then Minecraft came out, and I play that off and on still, along with the 300 or so Zombie Genre games THAT I LOVE! (there really isn't a terraforming, base building, Mine digging Zombie game.  one word... Profit).  Its great therapy that I can return to whenever I want, and not feel like I have to weed 100 fields, or mine some rocks to repair the 1,000 rock walls I spent the better part of 3 months creating.

Click and wait therapy exists.  And we have proven that it doesn't keep the majority of gamers enthralled in the game.  Those who seem to like it... add to the list of reasons people don't stick around in the game for long.