Sign in to follow this  
Nubcraft

"Learn The Game In A Safe Sandbox" doesn't make any sense to me

Just my opinion but... "Learn The Game In A Safe Sandbox" doesn't make any sense.

How does playing the game in an environment where things are sped up, you have GM powers, and there are fewer people change how people learn the game? What's safe about it? If you're a new player exploring for your first day, you don't have anything to lose. In the current game, if you die you respawn, and you can pretty easily go back to your corpse... even as a new player. Sure you can't teleport back, but that's a huge part of the learning experience. The first time I played I ran long and far, died, and respawned... decided to join a small village near the starter town. The fact that I did die is what caused me to make that decision, which ultimately taught me way more about the game than playing on a private server would have. I don't think people quit because they get discouraged by the difficulty in the beginning... I believe they leave because things may not be well explained to a newbie. In game community is a huge part of learning the game. Where's that community in this?

The solution to the learning part is not to give them an alternative way to learn the game. The solution to this is to make the tutorial better, and quite possibly have a better help system that aids new players when they try new tasks, and point the player to popular youtube videos and wurmpedia articles.

And as for gaining more attention... releasing the client to steam would have been more than sufficient in my opinion. But this? I don't have my hopes up for this... but I really hope I'm wrong.

• Like 1

Maybe someone could start a Newbie Academy Learning Server? I think that'd be cool.

And maybe people wouldn't be as frustrated when they die because they could retrieve their corpse easily (because joining a village near starter town isn't everyone's cup of tea, and while I'm glad that worked out for you, many people just go 'meh' and decide to stop playing instead). Though yeah, the learning curve remains just as steep, but many games have a steep learning curve, including many single player games, and people still manage to learn and play those.

I do agree that the CA channel is a great help for new players, and it's a shame that playing single-player won't have that (unless someone makes a sort of CA-like independent chat channel or something where new players could go), but at the same time, when the newbie mistakes don't have serious consequences and lead to serious frustrations like they do in WO now, maybe that will also encourage people to just try things out, and they might learn that way. After all, there are many different ways of learning something.

Edited by Sia
  • Like 1

At least while the people are learning, they don't have to suddenly come up against a personalized griefer to make them feel like crap.

• Like 1

Who said it was just about learning the game? o.0

Nobody. I was just trying to understand this particular aspect of the explanation.

I have tried to get around 15 people into Wurm over the years. One played for a bit, two stuck around for months/years, and the rest gave up the first day. These are all pretty serious gamers who enjoy sandbox stuff. Wurm is hard as hell to get into and I feel you seriously underestimate the learning curve and difficulty of this game.

That said, I must admit I don't see WU increasing WO player counts much. It will probably help a little, but I suspect the greater motivation here is to generate some cash quickly so that CC can get some sort of work done on the game. No idea what but that's my guess as a developer.

I have tried to get around 15 people into Wurm over the years. One played for a bit, two stuck around for months/years, and the rest gave up the first day. These are all pretty serious gamers who enjoy sandbox stuff. Wurm is hard as hell to get into and I feel you seriously underestimate the learning curve and difficulty of this game.

That said, I must admit I don't see WU increasing WO player counts much. It will probably help a little, but I suspect the greater motivation here is to generate some cash quickly so that CC can get some sort of work done on the game. No idea what but that's my guess as a developer.

WU will surpass WO easily.

• Like 1

You all raised valid points.  I've seen the many facets of different types of players.  I too, found the learning curve steep even in beta. I tried twice and got frustrated with the blue tile highligher and went back playing Project Entropia.  Two weeks later I tried again and stuck it out and became increasingly enamored with Wurm. I tried to convince my player friends to play, no deal, they too couldn't get a grip on it. If there a quicker way of learning this game I would have opted out for that then. Consider, there are hardcore and softcore players.  The suggestion of a newbie academy training server in WU for the expressed purpose of playing WO is wise.  There will by many instances of disgruntled server players on WU for whatever reason I assure you, and that in itself will create some new players for WO   :P

I totally agree with Uberknot, WU will surpass WO and very quickly at that. The downside of WO is there are so many uber players, new players get frustrated in trying to get FS up to even PVP at all.  In spite of some of these points I believe both games will do very well.

Edited by karr
  • Like 1

In spite of some of these points I believe both games will do very well.

I really hope you're right

Why sure it would, if lets say Minecraft had an original hardcore version, how players would take up the challenge and attempt it. That should answer a lot of questions  :P

That's why i said WU should have been released as the tutorial for wurm. With specialized missions that make you learn to play, And when you complete it, Your offered to connect to and play the live server.  Giving away the game like their doing does nothing but tell me that they are giving up on this project.  I can see this listed on ragezone around oct 22 as a new private server.  I'll stop there. I don't need to go off on a rant.

To people mentioning a 'tutorial server' or whatever... well, there was a time when Golden Valley was basically that. With increased decay and all. I kind of would want that back, but that's just me. 

• Like 1

Why sure it would, if lets say Minecraft had an original hardcore version, how players would take up the challenge and attempt it. That should answer a lot of questions   :P

About 5000? =P

Damn I got 4999.  On yeah! forgot myself in that equation-5000 it is :P

Edited by karr