Sign in to follow this  
hvergi

Wurm Unlimited ToolKit

Due to how the server works, many things this toolkit planned on doing were sadly not possible without making large changes to the code something I wanted to avoid as much as possible.

While I am working on something that will in time do what this toolkit aimed to do, it is something I am doing in my spare time for fun.

When that is done I'll be more then happy to share it with the Wurm unlimited community, just don't expect it anytime soon.

Old Post in spoiler.

Spoiler

I plan on building a toolkit for the unlimited version of wurm. All items listed are planed features that will be added in no particular order, note changes may happen depending on what is released for information and what is released for the final program.

• Gui based editor for all skills, items, priests, and any settings not included in the base
  • Map generator
  • Externalize all strings for ease of localization
  • Mod base to allow for easy of mod dev with min base edits.

Any suggestions for things you'd like to see please add them.

*note all toolkits parts will be released complied and with code, no code from wurm unlimited will be contain in the toolkit.*

there is no current release schedule atm for the toolkit as I won't be able to give that until it is released. However once I have access to unlimited I will add a link to the source of the toolkit to this post.

While I will continue to respond to questions, comments and update this thread I have created a website that I will update as well.

http://www.wutoolkit.tk/

Edited by hvergi
  • Like 12

FAQ

Are you quiting Wurm Online?

No I am not quitting Wurm Online.

Why are you making this?

My development of this is to aid in my own goals as such I felt that is was only fair to share what I have made and will make with the community as a whole.

Do you have access to an early release?

No I do not have any early release access. *though would not decline such access if given.*

Will you charge for this?

No I will not at any point charge for any of the releases of the toolkit.

When will I be able to download a copy?

I expect to have a preview of the basics of the toolkit out in a week for the community to comment on.

How can I help?

Once the first build is up the entirety of the source will be made available, anyone is welcome to view the code and send changes or improvements back to me. Credit will be given in code as well as in the toolkit.

If you have a working mapper why haven't you released it yet?

The mapping tool I have is a personal project that was made for something else and contains a lot of features that are unliky to be supported by wurm. I created a new terrain type that mimics wurm setting as I understand them, once I have stripped out all unnecessary code for the wu version I will post a copy here.

Will maps that are made with the early copy be compatible with WU?

For the time being I do not see why they wouldn't be as it saves in it's own format, the final version will have an export function that will create a map that WU can load.

Edited by hvergi

awesome man, if i can help with tedious things and learn in the process in any way let me know :)

• Like 1

Very nice :) Shoot me a PM if you ever need an experienced (low-level c, asm, python and c++) programmer assistance.

• Like 1

i cant help much with coding as i'm old and out of touch ...but i can stand there and go " cwor, nice one mate!"

• Like 4

I plan on building a toolkit for the unlimited version of wurm. All items listed are planed features that will be added in no particular order, note changes may happen depending on what is released for information and what is released for the final program.

• Map generator

Excellent! I am sure this will be a most desired one to focus upon.

=Ayes=

• Like 1

That it will ayes.

I have converted the 3dmap gen that I made for something else to spit out a wurm styled map. Now I just need to wait for the release of unlimited to decompile the code relating to map handing and convert my file format into the style wurm is looking for.

An update for the skills/item editor.

It will load up all the items/skills in the game allowing for a gui edit for all values IE Weight, Materials to make, Skill required...

Skills editor will allow changing skill exp rates, name, titles, and features linked to the skill IE slope of digging

Adding new items and skills is something I will look into once it is out, but will not be a priority feature.

Priest section will allow changing the spells for each priest, favor items, favor cost of spells, skill disadvantages.

This should hopefully give people the idea of what I am aiming for. I plan on having the GUI end done before release of Unlimited as to how long it takes to mod the game we will see.

• Like 1

how about an export facility, taking the skill dump, etc. and recreating your WO toon for WU?

and exporting your deed, with the soon to be implemented deed planner export, and importing all your hard work into the map at a chosen location?

Edited by JDBooker
  • Like 1

how about an export facility, taking the skill dump, etc. and recreating your WO toon for WU?

and exporting your deed, with the soon to be implemented deed planner export, and importing all your hard work into the map at a chosen location?

I like that the skill dump part shouldn't be hard to add. Will have to see how the deed planner works before I can see about adding it

Far shot but a scripting API would be awesome.

That is something I'd like to see as well however until it is out can't say much on a timeline at least from me.

Far shot but a scripting API would be awesome.

This, all day, this this this.

+1000000

Other than what you already posted, the first things that come to mind are some GM tools such as a GUI to spawn items quickly and teleporting to players, or teleporting via a coordinate.

Oh and I'm grateful someone has the time to invest in this, I'm sure plenty of us would donate for your time investment if they prove to be useful.

Edited by Sullen

Aside from the graphics updates that I want to do, there is one other  item that I want to try and achieve. I have just received an email concerning , at this point in time, a surprisingly large group of people that want to see a specific profession added to wurm. All these people are from outside wurm and will not play wurm ..umm...ever, which is why this is a bit overwhelming and shocking. They are all out of games like EQ2 ect. Since I have been speaking to them about WU i threw out , just kind of off the cuff ,some pie in the sky thoughts about reworking priests and maybe adding some other "professions". One in particular has seem to garner a lot of interest.

Perhaps a UI to facilitate the creation of new professions by simply re purposing existing ones. Variations on existing

Any thoughts?

NVM just read your site - very nice indeed.

Edited by sunsvortex

• Gui based editor for all skills, items, priests, and any settings not included in the base

Map generator

Externalize all strings for ease of localization

Mod base to allow for easy of mod dev with min base edits.

Any suggestions for things you'd like to see please add them.

*note all toolkits parts will be released complied and with code, no code from wurm unlimited will be contain in the toolkit.*

there is no current release schedule atm for the toolkit as I won't be able to give that until it is released. However once I have access to unlimited I will add a link to the source of the toolkit to this post.

While I will continue to respond to questions, comments and update this thread I have created a website that I will update as well.

http://www.wutoolkit.tk/

Holy crap how cool is this!! Way to go can't wait!!

When an update is applied how much would 'stick' and how much would be ruined? This is something we have experienced in many MMO.

When an update is applied how much would 'stick' and how much would be ruined? This is something we have experienced in many MMO.

Well that depends on what is changed, and how WU handles it. The toolkit currently stores the values selected in the GUI in it's own save file, so reapplying them would require you to run the toolkit again after an update. I will work out a method of determining the version of the WU currently installed and make sure the toolkit will provide a warning if you try to edit a version it doesn't support.

I myself was planning to write a mod framework for the engine once it launches. Hit me up if you need any advice, i have extensive experience with reverse engineering and mod framework development in Java.

As for the map generation, if you feel naughty you can already find out what the format is.

Update:

First Alpha release will be shortly after wurm api is released.

Requirements to run it Java 8.

Edited by hvergi

For this, when mods are being made they would be all java like minecraft mods?

For this, when mods are being made they would be all java like minecraft mods?