Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Why can't there be a non-STEAM version (like through GOG.com)?

That's the normal way of doing refunds, Steam just added on that, something like steams version of the refund system won't be found anywhere else. It's not the norm.

And you guys all seem to be discussing on which is the best one, I don't want a best one, I want em to compete with each other. The online game market is way to unhealthy right now with Steam owning a ways to big share of the cake.

It actually should be. Due to EU law companies that don't offer no condition refunds are in a legal grey area. They get around it by saying that you have installed it and activated the key, therefore you have purchased an entertainment license - which is not what that exception is meant to cover, it is meant to cover online streaming of movies/music. Games companies have been abusing the position, despite a lot of lobbying by various EU bodies to get them to change there stance and actually use the proper EU rules.

Steam decided to go with its interpretation to make them be compliant, but instead of just rolling it out to EU customers they rolled it out to the whole world. All the other merchants should really do likewise, for at least the EU customers, as they are kind of breaking current online/distance selling regulations in the EU.

Edited by Happiness
  • Like 1

I'd say it's more likely GOG goes away than Steam. Steam continues to pick up steam. But hey, no one says you have to buy WU so why do you keep arguing about it. And didn't one of the devs say something about looking into other avenues of distribution. I don't like the inability to multi box either so if some way came along to do that I'd jump on it. Who wouldn't.

Except that's my entire point.  If GOG goes away, I still have access to all my games, and can continue to install, uninstall, reinstall, and play them as long as I maintain the installation files and a computer they will run on.  If Steam goes away, I lose all my games.  I could continue to play them in offline mode, but that will only last as long as that one computer and OS installation lasts.  If I ever have to reinstall, poof.  With GOG, no such danger.  If GOG went out of business tomorrow and all their servers were offline permanently, I would still have access to every game I had ever bought from them.

It's like if I were to go and buy a book from the local bookstore (yes, those still exist).  If that bookstore went out of business, I could still read my book any time I wanted to, for the rest of my life (as long as I took care of it, didn't lose it, etc.).  Had that bookstore been Steam, then once they went out of business, if I ever closed the pages of my book or put it back on the shelf, I wouldn't be able to open it ever again.

Why do I keep arguing about it?  Why do the Steam proponents keep telling me and others that we should just shut up and be happy with Steam?  Should I just be quiet and accept something I don't like, when I've specifically been given an opportunity to voice my opinion in hopes of improvement?  Should I remain silent when I see misinformation and falsehoods being spread in an attempt to discredit that opinion?  Why indeed!

That is if the game DOESN'T WORK and they can't get it working for you. Steam will give you your money back just because you don't like the game. So no, they don't give you a refund if you don't like the game. Maybe you need reading glasses to read the fine print.  :P

So no, it's not unconditional. It's kinda crappy actually.

Steam will give you your money back just because you don't like the game if you've only played it for two hours or less, and if it's been less than two weeks since you bought it.  You were saying something about reading fine print?

With GOG's system, once you've bought the game, if you ask for a refund, they have no way of knowing whether or not you've kept copies of the installation files and are continuing to use and play the game long after they refunded it to you.  Considering that, I'm ok with an "only if it doesn't work" refund policy.  GOG takes a much bigger risk with refunds than Steam as they can't actually make you "return" anything you've bought, and they are very vulnerable to refund scammers, so under the circumstances I think the limitations are fairly reasonable.  

If you don't like those terms, then it's up to you whether you want to use the service, but as to the question of whether GOG offers refunds, the answer to that is "yes."  Both GOG and Steam place conditions on their refunds, so denigrating one service for their conditions while ignoring the conditions of the other is again intellectually dishonest.

Edited by Karys
  • Like 1

Well if you won't use Steam I hope one day they will find a way to make it work other places.

Yeah, I bought Ascent-The Space Game. Fought with it for I don't know how long, Steam said 10 hours over three weeks. It worked the first couple days then they, they guys who make the game, did an update and poof, couldn't get the controls to work. Fought with it put it aside, tried again, put it aside. Finally gave up on it. Told Steam customer service my problems and presto, refund. Used the money to buy COH2.

Steam is NOT the big bad boogey man people make it out to be, really.

Except that's my entire point.  If GOG goes away, I still have access to all my games, and can continue to install, uninstall, reinstall, and play them as long as I maintain the installation files and a computer they will run on.  If Steam goes away, I lose all my games.  I could continue to play them in offline mode, but that will only last as long as that one computer and OS installation lasts.  If I ever have to reinstall, poof.  With GOG, no such danger.  If GOG went out of business tomorrow and all their servers were offline permanently, I would still have access to every game I had ever bought from them.

It's like if I were to go and buy a book from the local bookstore (yes, those still exist).  If that bookstore went out of business, I could still read my book any time I wanted to, for the rest of my life (as long as I took care of it, didn't lose it, etc.).  Had that bookstore been Steam, then once they went out of business, if I ever closed the pages of my book or put it back on the shelf, I wouldn't be able to open it ever again.

Why do I keep arguing about it?  Why do the Steam proponents keep telling me and others that we should just shut up and be happy with Steam?  Should I just be quiet and accept something I don't like, when I've specifically been given an opportunity to voice my opinion in hopes of improvement?  Should I remain silent when I see misinformation and falsehoods being spread in an attempt to discredit that opinion?  Why indeed!

Steam will give you your money back just because you don't like the game if you've only played it for two hours or less, and if it's been less than two weeks since you bought it.  You were saying something about reading fine print?

With GOG's system, once you've bought the game, if you ask for a refund, they have no way of knowing whether or not you've kept copies of the installation files and are continuing to use and play the game long after they refunded it to you.  Considering that, I'm ok with an "only if it doesn't work" refund policy.  GOG takes a much bigger risk with refunds than Steam as they can't actually make you "return" anything you've bought, and they are very vulnerable to refund scammers, so under the circumstances I think the limitations are fairly reasonable.  

If you don't like those terms, then it's up to you whether you want to use the service, but as to the question of whether GOG offers refunds, the answer to that is "yes."  Both GOG and Steam place conditions on their refunds, so denigrating one service for their conditions while ignoring the conditions of the other is again intellectually dishonest.

Didn't bother to read what I posted above did you? They most certainly will go beyond what you say. Depends on circumstances. Take off the blinders and read the big print. GOG doesn't have a D on the end. It's a G.

Oh, and the part about buying the game and then being dishonest, getting a refund and keeping the game. LMFAO. And you wonder why there are DRM.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anyways, talking about cheating a company like GOG is not something I care to consider, don't know why you would even bring it up. They's good people. So I'm outta here.

Edited by Clatius

I'm a steam user and I'm not paranoid about anyone spying on me, If I was I should move to Pluto...wait we have some pretty nice close ups of there too. So . The only let down with Wurm on Steam for me now is the multiclient thing. Thats the reason I agree with Brash there. Have it available somewhere else that doesn't require running 2 or 3 pcs or virtual boxing

I'm a steam user and I'm not paranoid about anyone spying on me, If I was I should move to Pluto...wait we have some pretty nice close ups of there too. So . The only let down with Wurm on Steam for me now is the multiclient thing. Thats the reason I agree with Brash there. Have it available somewhere else that doesn't require running 2 or 3 pcs or virtual boxing

Well they could provide a secondary launcher that uses WU files with steam but doesn't actually run and say its being run with steam. Thus allowing people to multi-client themselves as they desire. It doesn't stop the issue of steam being involved but it does create a way for players to multi-client themselves as they wish. 

Didn't bother to read what I posted above did you? They most certainly will go beyond what you say. Depends on circumstances. Take off the blinders and read the big print. GOG doesn't have a D on the end. It's a G.

Oh, and the part about buying the game and then being dishonest, getting a refund and keeping the game. LMFAO. And you wonder why there are DRM.  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Anyways, talking about cheating a company like GOG is not something I care to consider, don't know why you would even bring it up. They's good people. So I'm outta here.

Your claim:

Steam will give you your money back just because you don't like the game.

Yes, I read what you posted; did you?  In your example, the game was refunded because it didn't work properly.  With no other information, I have to assume that the reason Steam extended the return period for this game was due to the functionality problem, and that they would likely not make such an extension "just because you don't like the game."  Do you have evidence to the contrary?

And I never suggested cheating GOG; I only pointed out that the ease with which they could be cheated justifies the conditions placed on their return policy.  Again, if you don't like that policy, then don't buy games from them.  I don't like Steam's requirements, so I don't buy from them.  We each have our options, so what is the big deal if some of us prefer GOG's way of doing business to Steam's?

So far as not bothering to read what someone posted, you still haven't addressed the point in my first paragraph you quoted above:  what happens if Steam goes offline permanently?  That's really the crux of the issue for me, and you seem to keep ignoring it (and no, "play in offline mode" is not a solution, as it will not last permanently).

Edited by Karys

Your claim:

Yes, I read what you posted; did you?  In your example, the game was refunded because it didn't work properly.  With no other information, I have to assume that the reason Steam extended the return period for this game was due to the functionality problem, and that they would likely not make such an extension "just because you don't like the game."  Do you have evidence to the contrary?

And I never suggested cheating GOG; I only pointed out that the ease with which they could be cheated justifies the conditions placed on their return policy.  Again, if you don't like that policy, then don't buy games from them.  I don't like Steam's requirements, so I don't buy from them.  We each have our options, so what is the big deal if some of us prefer GOG's way of doing business to Steam's?

So far as not bothering to read what someone posted, you still haven't addressed the point in my first paragraph you quoted above:  what happens if Steam goes offline permanently?  That's really the crux of the issue for me, and you seem to keep ignoring it (and no, "play in offline mode" is not a solution, as it will not last permanently).

Steam refund policy: http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds

Don't like the game? Refund it. Doesn't work? Refund it. Aslong as you have bought it within the past two weeks or have under 2 hours game time on it, You can refund it for whatever reason you wish. Iv already just wanted to play a game to see if id like it, Then ask for a refund, Done it atleast 10 times now. Steam won't make a fuss over it.

"Play in offline mode" is most definitely a solution. Your just being stubborn and making some stupid imaginary reasons in your head here. Playing in offline mode IS THE SOLUTION. Get it through your head. Your saying were ignoring you, But were not, Were telling you the answer to your question. Like damn man, Its not hard. Read carefully. Offline mode is specifically made to be used in an OFFLINE environment, Where the matter of servers isn't relevant. 

Just to pop ahead here as your methodically posting now. In reply to your response to my comment. Your going to need to run steam offline or online to play the game. Its inevitable, But you still own the game, You still have the files, You still got everything. Steam will not, And cannot remove that from you unless you scammed them, In which case you never owned it in the first place. 

The end. That literally clears up everything in this thread, We already addressed this on like page 2/3. This thread is just spam by karys at this point, Hes said nothing new since this thread started, Just rebutting everything we tell him.

Forum/Board mods Pls

Hey, just got an advert from GOG in my email. They are hiring  

https://www.gog.com/work?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_content=game_subject&utm_campaign=Fall_for_Nordic_Work_EN#gog_mentality

Maybe someone would like to go and get a job with them...hint, hint.

If you are patient I would bet WURM is offered through other venues that are less prevalent than Steam. Just hold on a bit.

There IS mention of Steam "and other options" in the planning, but business being business doubt Rolf could give us more deets if he wanted before actually having stuff signed.

The biggest problem seems to me that Steam doesn't allow multiple clients running at the same time. This means that it will be impossible to use alts when playing Wurm Unlimited. It also means it's impossible to log in a GM char without logging out your regular char.

"Play in offline mode" is most definitely a solution. Your just being stubborn and making some stupid imaginary reasons in your head here. Playing in offline mode IS THE SOLUTION. Get it through your head. Your saying were ignoring you, But were not, Were telling you the answer to your question. Like damn man, Its not hard. Read carefully. Offline mode is specifically made to be used in an OFFLINE environment, Where the matter of servers isn't relevant. 

You really shouldn't go around telling people to "read carefully" when you continue to show a consistent lack of such activity yourself.

No, offline mode is not a solution to the problem I posed, which you would know if you actually read and paid attention to what you read instead of being so eager to attack those who don't share your same preferences for conditions of business transactions.

I'll try this one more time on the chance that anyone on your side still genuinely doesn't get it and is not just being willfully obtuse.  If Steam goes offline permanently, I could play in offline mode as a temporary solution, but it's just that, temporary.  At some point, I will have to reinstall or upgrade my OS, my hard drive will crash, or I'll buy a new computer, etc., forcing me to reinstall all my programs and games.  Once that happens, even if I've backed up any Steam games, I will no longer be able to play them.  If I try to reinstall them, I will have to install Steam (assuming I have a backup of the Steam client as well).  Then, in order to again run Steam in offline mode, first I will have to log in to Steam once, which requires me to connect to Steam's activation servers, which is impossible because in this scenario Steam is gone now, so the servers are permanently offline, so I can't authenticate Steam, so I can't put it in offline mode, so I can't play in offline mode, so no, offline mode is not a permanent solution.  

There is no such problem with a distribution platform running GOG's policies and methods.  If GOG goes offline, I can still reinstall the games from the original files with no need to connect to authentication servers.  If GOG goes offline, it doesn't take my legitimately bought and paid for games with it.  Steam and other similar DRMs do, and to me that amounts to a form of theft, and I won't expose myself to that risk.

Again, why are you and others so vitriolic against the very idea that some people may have personal reasons for not wanting to use Steam, and would prefer games such as WU to be offered on platforms that provide a more acceptable business model?  How does having different options among game distributors in any way make your life worse off?  How are we so much of a threat to you that you feel such a need to manufacture excuses to constantly attack, berate, and deride those with a preference different than your own?  What personal insecurities do you address in yourself by making such attacks?  I really cannot comprehend the mindset you are coming from.

Edited by Karys
  • Like 1

You really shouldn't go around telling people to "read carefully" when you continue to show a consistent lack of such activity yourself.

No, offline mode is not a solution to the problem I posed, which you would know if you actually read and paid attention to what you read instead of being so eager to attack those who don't share your same preferences for conditions of business transactions.

I'll try this one more time on the chance that anyone on your side still genuinely doesn't get it and is not just being willfully obtuse.  If Steam goes offline permanently, I could play in offline mode as a temporary solution, but it's just that, temporary.  At some point, I will have to reinstall or upgrade my OS, my hard drive will crash, or I'll buy a new computer, etc., forcing me to reinstall all my programs and games.  Once that happens, even if I've backed up any Steam games, I will no longer be able to play them.  If I try to reinstall them, I will have to install Steam (assuming I have a backup of the Steam client as well).  Then, in order to again run Steam in offline mode, first I will have to log in to Steam once, which requires me to connect to Steam's activation servers, which is impossible because in this scenario Steam is gone now, so the servers are permanently offline, so I can't authenticate Steam, so I can't put it in offline mode, so I can't play in offline mode, so no, offline mode is not a permanent solution.  

There is no such problem with a distribution platform running GOG's policies and methods.  If GOG goes offline, I can still reinstall the games from the original files with no need to connect to authentication servers.  If GOG goes offline, it doesn't take my legitimately bought and paid for games with it.  Steam and other similar DRMs do, and to me that amounts to a form of theft, and I won't expose myself to that risk.

Again, why are you and others so vitriolic against the very idea that some people may have personal reasons for not wanting to use Steam, and would prefer games such as WU to be offered on platforms that provide a more acceptable business model?  How does having different options among game distributors in any way make your life worse off?  How are we so much of a threat to you that you feel such a need to manufacture excuses to constantly attack, berate, and deride those with a preference different than your own?  What personal insecurities do you address in yourself by making such attacks?  I really cannot comprehend the mindset you are coming from.

If Steam will ever go offline (and this is very unlikely for next few dozens of years), they will add a way to install games from backups, as well as provide a way to play games that require Steam API to work.

Would be wise to read carefully at what others have told you first before returning the statement. We are clearly answering your questions OVER and OVER. 

Iv already told you the answer Karys, Like damn, Go re-read and read carefully. But ill say it here again.

Go make a backup of EVERYTHING related to steam. Problem solved. Then you can log back in even in an offline environment. 

Why people are "Vitriolic" Against the ideas like yours to not use steam? Well there just a bunch of bullcrap. Your fear mongering and spouting non-sense in hopes to strike fear into someone who isn't exactly knowledgeable about DR Or even normal rights to get them on your side to backup your argument.

Why are people only "attacking" you? Well your the only one giving spouting non-sense. Others just gave there legitimate reasoning, "I dont like steam/i never liked using steam", Not "I dont like steam because it stole my DR's!!!!!" or "I dont like steam because it could go down at any moment!!!". The moment you stop spouting non-sense, All if not almost all would get off your case. 

In advance to your reply so we can end this stupid argument. What classifies as "non sense"? Saying steam could go down at any moment or in the near future. Steam isn't a thing thats small and easily taken down(like the other companies you talked about earlier). They are gamers who have invested a lot, And they are backed by MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of gamers behind them. They wouldn't let there pride and joy be taken down by DR's or  anything for that matter. It would take a very long time for steam to go down, And if it went down, Steam would still be obliged to release the games corresponding serial keys to the players to allow them to play there games even if steam went down. 

Like really the only way i can imagine steam just vanishing off the face of the earth is if a bomb hit steam HQ, But in that case we got bigger problems then your DR's. 

Edit: typo

Edited by akaedis

Yeah we get it. You don't like Steam. Blah blah blah. Let's see, how many more ways can you say you don't like Steam?  :rolleyes:

Not sure why anyone has any issues with steam, im only at 99 games so far. :) but I love the ability to access my games on any computer I happen to be at. Its never caused me any issue and even if i happen to lose internet access i still can get to any off my offline games without a problem.

Then, in order to again run Steam in offline mode, first I will have to log in to Steam once, which requires me to connect to Steam's activation servers, which is impossible because in this scenario Steam is gone now, so the servers are permanently offline, so I can't authenticate Steam, so I can't put it in offline mode, so I can't play in offline mode, so no, offline mode is not a permanent solution.  

Let me fix this part right here for you...if you backup your steam installation after allready having logged into steam once a.k.a. when you bought the game, and the servers dissapear and years later you need to use said backup...the backup will...i repeat will work. I have done this as i don't run steam in online unless im doing a new game download or an update to a one i allready own. i have gone from one hard drive to another,(i have all my steam stuff stored as backups on a external drive) and have not once had to log into steam to get the steam client running in offline mode. 

Your steam library will be empty but since i have backups of my games as well i can just re-add them to my library manually and Voila it all works as intended without any need to connect to any steam server....

• Like 1

Don't bother. It is plainly obvious this is a person will not change an attitude even if their life depended on it. Logic does not work because they don't want to hear anything that does not work with their world view. You are wrong, they are right even if the opposite is true. Like one of the devs said, Steam will be around for decades. 

Edited by Clatius

LOL

Someoneiswrongoninternet.png

C'mon folks.  The OP doesn't like steam, just as there are many other people who do not like steam.  It comes under the heading of personal preference, which is their right.

Their personal likes and dislikes are certainly not something they should have to defend against all the staunch steam defenders who seem to materialize on every forum whenever someone has the audacity to even obliquely mention they don't like steam and don't want to use it.  Why do you care so much, I wonder? Oh well.  *shrugs*

I too would like to see a non-steam version made available, which I feel would not hurt any single steam defender in the slightest. My reasons are my own and the steam lovers can just live with it. (or not.  lol)

• Like 5

I would definitely get all my family to buy this through GOG.com or through a direct download at Wurm store.

I won't use STEAM.

I am not clear why it is felt this can only be done through STEAM.

I hope this is NOT an indication Wurm intends to gradual move to a STEAM-ONLY system, as you will lose a lot of us who have played for years. 

This feels very unsettling.

LOL

Someoneiswrongoninternet.png

C'mon folks.  The OP doesn't like steam, just as there are many other people who do not like steam.  It comes under the heading of personal preference, which is their right.

Their personal likes and dislikes are certainly not something they should have to defend against all the staunch steam defenders who seem to materialize on every forum whenever someone has the audacity to even obliquely mention they don't like steam and don't want to use it.  Why do you care so much, I wonder? Oh well.  *shrugs*

I too would like to see a non-steam version made available, which I feel would not hurt any single steam defender in the slightest. My reasons are my own and the steam lovers can just live with it. (or not.  lol)

No, we have it on Steam. It's you who have to live with it...or not.  :lol:

Should try the system that Storm Eagle Studio uses. Talk about bad. Makes GOG (without the D) look like 25th century.

No, we have it on Steam. It's you who have to live with it...or not.  :lol:

Should try the system that Storm Eagle Studio uses. Talk about bad. Makes GOG (without the D) look like 25th century.

Just for the sake of clarity, not that it matters that much, "live with it" is in reference to the fact that others may have a differing opinion and arguing with them and/or ridiculing their opinion does nothing but cause hard feelings.  As for me, I am perfectly happy to live with the fact that its steam only.  I'll either use it or not.  Requesting a non-steam version hurts no one and there's no reason to get hostile towards anyone who doesn't like the precious.  (steam)   :lol:

Edited by Amadee
  • Like 2

Just for the sake of clarity, not that it matters that much, "live with it" is in reference to the fact that others may have a differing opinion and arguing with them and/or ridiculing their opinion does nothing but cause hard feelings.  As for me, I am perfectly happy to live with the fact that its steam only.  I'll either use it or not.  Requesting a non-steam version hurts no one and there's no reason to get hostile towards anyone who doesn't like the precious.  (steam)   :lol:

i like you, Why can't karys be like you?