Sign in to follow this  
Brash_Endeavors

Why can't there be a non-STEAM version (like through GOG.com)?

Just for the sake of clarity, not that it matters that much, "live with it" is in reference to the fact that others may have a differing opinion and arguing with them and/or ridiculing their opinion does nothing but cause hard feelings.  As for me, I am perfectly happy to live with the fact that its steam only.  I'll either use it or not.  Requesting a non-steam version hurts no one and there's no reason to get hostile towards anyone who doesn't like the precious.  (steam)   :lol:

for me personally it is not about whether or not he likes steam. Its that he is seemingly not liking steam because of bad information or understanding on his part. If he don't like Steam that's fine by me, his loss, i'm just trying to clarify mis-information.   Ask for a non steam all day every day I think it is great to be able to get it on multi platforms / sites / software, just don't like people bashing a piece of software or the whole company for that matter because they don't know/understand how that software works. 

• Like 3

I don't understand why you just don't do what Mojang does and have an account, the launcher logs into it and the game verifies your credentials and you launch from there. No need for Steam or any other service.

I don't understand why you just don't do what Mojang does and have an account, the launcher logs into it and the game verifies your credentials and you launch from there. No need for Steam or any other service.

Also they are trying to reach a larger audience so steam is the best way to do that.  So even though there are a few that do not want to use steam it is the largest gaming distribution there is to my knowledge and it is the best way to get the game out here. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 2

Also they are trying to reach a larger audience so steam is the best way to do that.  So even though there are a few that do not want to use steam it is the largest gaming distribution there is to my knowledge and it is the best way to get the game out here. 

I think it is just a matter of seeing how things will go first before they go all in. If it does well i am sure it will spread to other places and have added support for other OS..etc   Steam and windows was just the best option to gain the most so that is the first step the rest will be dependent on how things there go i am sure. 

Edited by Kegan

Agreed.  But as I'm fond of saying, options are a good thing.  Since the goal is to reach as many as possible, what could it hurt to have an additional option for those they will lose out on who will not use Steam. 

Unless maybe there is some proprietary thing that Steam is inflicting on the web populace that I'm unaware of, like a "sign up with us and prosper but we get full control and you can't sell it anywhere else" kind of thing, which wouldn't surprise me a bit.  Steam reminds me of Walmart too much.  lol.  Walmart is trying to take over the world and put every kind of smaller business imaginable out of business.

No, Steam does not tell anyone they can't sell a game someplace else. More likely and what I have seen, if the game is sold on any other site it is 'Steam enabled'.  Meaning it will be on Steam. This is to protect the software from pirating in the way Karys described it here: 

With GOG's system, once you've bought the game, if you ask for a refund, they have no way of knowing whether or not you've kept copies of the installation files and are continuing to use and play the game long after they refunded it to you.  

So, with that attitude is it any surprise there is something like Steam? The people who make the games do it so they can eat and have a place to live. With the above attitude they would all starve to death and/or there would be no great games, just rubbish.

Edited by Clatius

edit:  never mind.  Not worth the effort.  lol

Edited by Amadee

Grandpa won't use steam because it's evil. What a big loss. Steam is the best thing in PC gaming. It's easy and fast. It just works.

Agreed.  But as I'm fond of saying, options are a good thing.  Since the goal is to reach as many as possible, what could it hurt to have an additional option for those they will lose out on who will not use Steam. 

Unless maybe there is some proprietary thing that Steam is inflicting on the web populace that I'm unaware of, like a "sign up with us and prosper but we get full control and you can't sell it anywhere else" kind of thing, which wouldn't surprise me a bit.  Steam reminds me of Walmart too much.  lol.  Walmart is trying to take over the world and put every kind of smaller business imaginable out of business.

By the looks of it the main reason why it requires steam is time. Steam offers many things for you, like server browsers and connections between private servers and clients. So this saves the small dev team a lot of time (potentially months) which would otherwise have to be spend on implementing their own server browsers, testing them, etc. This would eat into the time which they could spend on WO. Once GoG Galaxy comes out of alpha/beta (whatever it's in now) it might be just as easy for them to release a GoG version, except it would then require the usage of GoG Galaxy to work, at which point you might just as well use Steam.

Well now I am sure I wont play WU, cause my name is already taken over at Steam.

lol

Edited by Cecci

You can have different login name (must be unique) and displayed name (any, can change it easily infinite number of times later).

give razor a fews weeks im sure there will be

who are you kidding? just throw the word out there about wurm on any of their fansites and they will have a no steam release on release day saying they need a few weeks is ridiculous ;)

now to the whole "i hate steam steam is evil bad steam steam is worst drm ever" ###### by your definition windows is drm as it is required for you to run steam to run your game ;)

or go a step further your entire life is drm as you need to be alive in order to be able to setup a pc and hook it up to a power grid to start up the pc that then also needs a harddrive(oh look even more drm) then you need windows then you need to install steam then wu ;)

now lets be realistic most games on steam(with the exception of a handful) can be launched from within their folder without having steam running and those who have steam integrated can launch steam in an offline mode for you to play them

to the whole "but if steam goes offline i cant access my game" ###### well if i break your dvd that you brought from a store you have to buy it anew now if your hd dies you can redownload your game over and over

a lof of people say they keep hard copies of their games well then simple solution for you all DOWNLOAD EVERY GAME YOU OWN ON STEAM afterwards copy the entire folder onto an external drive and keep that drive unhooked from your pc and then if you ever want to play a game you dont have installed just copy the folder into your steam folder and there you go you can play the game without having to download even if steam has shut its doors forever 

so all these points are just ###### now just realize how steam can infact be a good thing for a lot of people

for example i got a lot of old games that have been rereleased on steam and my old cd key works for them(baldur's gate for example) and although my cds are scratched due to extensive usage i can now once again play the game i loved when growing up

now on topic sure id love to have a gog version of WU but as of initial release rolf wants to use the steam service as a way to handle account creation for WU so that you dont physically have to login into a privately owned server with login details just the server password now with gog that will become a bit harder until he thinks of a different way of handling account creation for WU

If the steam service goes offline, can you access your games?

Yes.  Play them in offline mode.

Another concern about Steam and similar setups I haven't seen come up... They can take anywhere from 30-70% of the revenue generated.

With all due respect, that's not your problem, nor is it your business.  If the developer is willing to go down the Steam path (and clearly they have weighed up the pros and cons), it's their business how much money valve take.  It's no concern of anyone else.

I'm a steam user and I'm not paranoid about anyone spying on me

I wonder if people who are worried about Steam spying on them have a facebook account?  That would be ironic.

LOL

Someoneiswrongoninternet.png

Well there's no arguing with "Duty Calls".  And Owl Monkeys do make a surprisingly good point as well.

Edited by Lichbane

With all due respect, that's not your problem, nor is it your business.  If the developer is willing to go down the Steam path (and clearly they have weighed up the pros and cons), it's their business how much money valve take.  It's no concern of anyone else.

back on topic:

why-cant-there-be-a-non-steam-version-like-through-gogcom?

time and money. theyre going for the most popular way, and if

it works and is succesfull maybe theyll use other venues in the future.

or just sell to microsoft

thats my guess anyway.

back on topic:

why-cant-there-be-a-non-steam-version-like-through-gogcom?

time and money. theyre going for the most popular way, and if

it works and is succesfull maybe theyll use other venues in the future.

or just sell to microsoft

thats my guess anyway.

Sadly that is not even a guess.. It has been said by Rolf more than once that this IS the reason for it and that in the future, if steam is successful, we might see it come available from other vendors. They just don't bother to read those things, or to understand that doing this kind of stuff costs money. Something that Rolf and code club don't have a whole lot of to work with atm...

Edited by nextactus

UPDATE:

I broke down and got STEAM even though for the past TEN YEARS  I swore I never would (I wanted Wurm Unlimited THAT much).  I gave it a month so far, and I still want a non-STEAM version PLEASE.  I will even buy the game a second time. I feel like the main argument in favor of "needing" Steam -- the Steam server browser -- has been NOT AT ALL IMPRESSIVE and not at all worth the sacrifices needed to "require" Steam. There are already DRM bypasses to the game so it is not even a very good "authentication."  As always, as in other games, STEAM  has added more issues than it solved.

So I did what I never thought I would do -- broke down and got Steam.

Now I would like to ask WURM devs to consider what they claimed they would never do --

Please consider allowing a non-Steam version of the game through someplace like GOG.

Steam has added NOTHIING positive to my gaming experience, despite the efforts of the Steam fanboys to claim "everyone loves Steam".  I would like a way to delete it off my computer while still keeping WU. 

Games like Minecraft, Rising World, Never Winter Nights, have all proved it is not that hard to add multiplayer server browsers as well as easy intuitive server setups that even non-IT Professionals can understand.

At the very least I would like a singleplayer standalone "goof proof" edition, even if it excluded my family and friends, so I could play Wurm without needing internet connections. 

Just like I can get in Minecraft, Rising World, NWN, and so many other games with both single and muliplayer options.

Thank you for your consideration, developers.

With all due respect,

from a major fan of  your game. 

- Brash

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

While it's not HARD to add a server browser, it does require servers to be running to handle the server list (unless it uses some kind of p2p system which I doubt would work very well) as well as time developing this system.

Or they could just hook a bit of code into the Steam API and they are done, no cost in running their own server etc. and the work required is Much less than writing a whole server listing system from scratch.

But with that said I sure wouldn't mind a non-steam version, I doubt I would use it (unless it easily allowed multiboxing then I would) but there are perfectly valid reasons why they use steam.

• Like 1