Sign in to follow this  
Kruggan

WU Map/Terrain Generator Development

I've been working on my Wurm map generator in World Machine. Right now I'm aiming at making it generate maps that look more "natural" than what's currently in the game.

It's still work in progress, but here's some examples: http://imgur.com/a/I0N3u

Thats awesome... 

I am figuring out creating a maptool myself with a similar GUI to Minecraft's worldpainter. Still need to figure out the format to save maps internally (project files), but painting should be easy to do.

//edit: It will *not* be world generator, just a tool with which you can create your own maps by painting them with brushes.

Edited by darkhog

Here's a small 4km x 4km island I've put together in World Machine.

2BUsQ6U.png

• Like 2

ok can someone help?

used world painter

used photoshop

used World Machine 2 professional 64 bit Edition  

created many heightmaps 16bit greyscale png files

but everytime i try to import to WGenerator-ArpyEditv2_3_1

XKuGAns.jpg?1

Edited by damine

The size of your height map must be the same as one of those listed in the error. You then must set the size BEFORE importing. Up there at the top where it says Map Size.

Example -If your height map is 1024 x 1024 then you must set the Map Size to 1024 before you try and import it.

Edited by sunsvortex

i did like 100 times that's why i tried many different programs for this

If you want -  post a 1024 in a spoiler and ill try on my end.

thank you figured it out stupid photoshop kept auto adding a decimal point to the equation 1024.1 didn't catch it thanks you help forced me to triple check what i was doing wrong was getting mad it but all good now :)  

also to answer a question I read earlier land borders do the same as sea boarders just bounce you back a few tile preventing movement  made a map earlier with worldpainter and tested that out .

Edited by damine

I'd settle quite happily for 2-3 tilesets for "biomes". If the map generator could randomly define zones for each tileset and do it's thing that would be amazing. To be honest I'd be happy even if it did a north / south split and put one tileset up north and another south. It's variety.

I would like to see something that encourages travel in game too though. Interactive maps that show location are a must have, and a tweak to the UI that helped tutor new players a little better would be great. Finding empty space for building too would be good.

And after all that.. travel. People should travel around. It's more fun having guests stop by / ask for directions etc. One option: Could it generate special locations that bring some sort of benefit worth travelling to? It's an alternative to introducing "classes" where each "class" allows the player some special benefit for their goods that make it worth working with other people and trading.

oops i replied to something old by mistake. nothing here, move along.

Edited by bdew