Sign in to follow this  
Kegan

Automation (modders request)

Okay any of you inspiring coders/modders out there we will need automation in WU we need..

Brick making machine

lumber mills

mining machines..etc

these are some of the things i have been wanting in wurm for a long time now with the new WU people can actually make mods for them.  Make a windmill or something with the animals to power it all.

The point of this is that the possibilities are limitless in how this is going to change from the things we know now in the MMO version if we get the support of a few modding community in the WU version. 

Edited by Kegan
  • Like 4

first thing id look at myself to be honest is getting map gen working in a simple way (grab a good terrain gen program find out the way its currently generated and write a code to change those parameters to suit the map) 

but ya i think things like that really will start showing up in WU sooner then later

• Like 1

i would rather have them find better ways to catch the guys doing it on wurm online.

• Like 1

If you have GM powers, can't you just spawn those things?

Well that is not fun i want to play like normal i just do not want to do the bulk stuff even the mining machine was a little much but i would love a way to toss in 300-400 rock shards into a machine flip a switch and come back in a few hours and have bricks.  

• Like 3

wonder if gm mode is a toggle.  you could switch it on, spawn your mats, then switch back and go back to playing. Guess we'll find out.

If you have GM powers, can't you just spawn those things?

GM's cannot create completely new items - items must exist in database in order to be able to spawn them.

This would require adding new items to the database and coding that... Not sure if this would be possible, need to ask Rolf probably.

What do you need bricks for, just make it possible to spawn all type of walls on a border.

• Like 1

Automation machines are akin to macros. Press button, walk away, stop playing, come back, sell 500 bricks, press button, walk away, eat your 10 kg of mcdonalds, come back, sell more bricks.

Think about it... 100 players will automate the living shiz out of a map, mountains will be flat, iron ore mined gone and every coast flat and straight in 4 weeks.

• Like 1

Automation machines are akin to macros. Press button, walk away, stop playing, come back, sell 500 bricks, press button, walk away, eat your 10 kg of mcdonalds, come back, sell more bricks.

Think about it... 100 players will automate the living shiz out of a map, mountains will be flat, iron ore mined gone and every coast flat and straight in 4 weeks.

I can understand how that might be somewhat true for the mmo version but that is why this is in the new MU section :)

GM's cannot create completely new items - items must exist in database in order to be able to spawn them.

This would require adding new items to the database and coding that... Not sure if this would be possible, need to ask Rolf probably.

Are you saying GMs cannot spawn bricks/planks/shards/etc?

Are you saying GMs cannot spawn bricks/planks/shards/etc?

They can, but cannot create a machine which is able to automate process of crafting.

aka right as the topic name says "modders request" mod developers will make it sooner or later ;)

Once my toolkit is up and running, I'll take a look into making it providing that someone hasn't done so already

• Like 1

Allowing mods doesn't have to mean they allow server sides changes, It also could mean they will allow us to modificate UI related things only. Or Change the current items that are in use.

If you adjust the items in game you have to  keep track of all the different modded clients you will have, as this require client related changes to for others to be able to join then.

Or is this comfirmed to be working? I might have missed it then.

Edited by Purefy

Id say we need to be able to add items on the ground and in containers in the crafting window and a limitless queue that regains stamina bevor starting the next task.

Plus characters should be able to stay online and we can switch characters inside one session.

A character making bricks would be far better than some kind of robotic-automatic machine that would totally break the immersion.

A character making bricks would be far better than some kind of robotic-automatic machine that would totally break the immersion.

Magic golem you animate and can do tasks like makes bricks. I'm not sure why folks always assume automation has to be technological robotics. Maybe enslave goblins to do your slave labor.

Although, either of those would require serious modding. Considering WO doesn't appear to have any plans to release an API or help Modders -- mod, then that means all modding will have to originate from hacking the WU client. This will take some time. In Minecraft there was a time when different modding environments where competing: Bulkit, Minecraft Forge, Modloader. Mods made for one didn't work with another. 

Also, just because something can be modded doesn't mean that skilled programmers will volunteer their time to do it.

About automation in general.

* Just spawn the things. seems too easy.

* Use macro/bot to make then since you can do that in WU. But I'm not sure why you'd choose to do this over just spawning them.

For automation to really work you need to have other balancing factors in play. You shift the time you'd normally spend chiseling away at bricks to doing something else.

For example, using the goblin slaves, you might have to spend a comparable time feeding, teaching, and disciplining your slaves. With magic golems, you may spend time collecting magic power, or maintaining various magical aspects of the golem.

There are other interesting alternatives to get bricks. For example, there could be npc villages build from bricks and mortar. You go in kill them and disassemble there construction to get bricks that way. Unfortunately, goblin slaves, magic golems, or salvaging materials from npc village all require extensive modding to the WU client.

• Like 1

I can see Kegan's point here. Some of us just want to build things within WU and not be bothered with taking the time to create the materials to do so. If this can be done with the GM powers of creation then that works for me.

Then these types of machines that would do the task instead would just be some type of afk machine assistants inferior to the GM creative powers and just be something to fiddle with more for enjoyment than accomplishing the task of item creation faster. Like log off for some hours and come back with a few crates full of bricks that otherwise the GM powers could create in a fraction of the time.

The things that are planted and need to grow through stages will be more restrictive in the ability to speed them up somehow, as well as raising various domestic animals like horses. Not quite sure how this can be sped up to match the other GM powers unless they are static growth GM spawned moving items like those farm crops and horses within Green Dog on Deliverance.

=Ayes=

Well i am not wanting to use the gm powers i want to play the game like normal i just want automated thing to do the bulk work for me. I dont mind going out and gathering the logs, rock shards..etc i just do not want to sit there for hours making them into bricks. 

oh and don't forget about a mixing machine for mortar, lol 

*Removed per the new forum rules about no Macro subject*

Edited by joedobo

I think the OP wants is a new item, we would have to build the machine first, then it could be used to build items.

So for example ( silly example )  maybe we need 12 planks, some nails etc etc etc = brick building machine. hitch horse to machine add rockshards, ql of machine is how fast the bricks are made, means we could do other items around the deed like mining rocks and the bricks are being made.

I think its a fantastic idea and perfect for single / low amount of people game play.

• Like 1

I think the OP wants is a new item, we would have to build the machine first, then it could be used to build items.

So for example ( silly example )  maybe we need 12 planks, some nails etc etc etc = brick building machine. hitch horse to machine add rockshards, ql of machine is how fast the bricks are made, means we could do other items around the deed like mining rocks and the bricks are being made.

I think its a fantastic idea and perfect for single / low amount of people game play.

that's exactly what i am talking about if i wanted to use a macro on WU then i would just use gm commands to spawn them in by the bsb full but i am not looking for that. 

If anyone has ever played ATITD they have a stone cutter that you build that takes a lot of resources to make early on but once you make it you put in your raw stones and start the stone cutter. It starts cutting your stone and you can move on and go to the next project while the stone cutter is making finished stones for you in the background.   They also do the same for rope where you spin it into string then rope

These new things can even be material intensive and have a higher skill to use and ofc a timer to make each brick from the rock shard but if it can run it in the background while i am farming or whatever then great. I am not sure how they would do skill gain from it but i don't really care about that it can give no skills and i would still be happy. 

Edited by Kegan

Well that is not fun i want to play like normal i just do not want to do the bulk stuff even the mining machine was a little much but i would love a way to toss in 300-400 rock shards into a machine flip a switch and come back in a few hours and have bricks.  

You will need coal to run the machine too.